Vintage fragrance I bought today

PStoller

I’m not old, I’m vintage.
Basenotes Plus
Aug 1, 2019
Re: Vintage fragrance I bought today - Q1 2021

Original retaill for the 90ml was $90 when it launched as I bought it brand new when it came out. As this one is missing the cap, I'd say no more than 33% over original retail if you’re planning to buy it.
This is perfectly reasonable (and what I would hope to pay), except nobody is selling Patou pour Homme for as little as $120/90ml, cap or no cap. Even the $350–450 range Bavard suggested would be a rare find, given that the going price on eBay is $200+/oz. 10ml decants are selling for $125.

Now, I think that’s nuts. I wouldn’t pay it. But that’s the market.

Deleanu

Aug 13, 2015

This is perfectly reasonable (and what I would hope to pay), except nobody is selling Patou pour Homme for as little as $120/90ml, cap or no cap. Even the $350–450 range Bavard suggested would be a rare find, given that the going price on eBay is $200+/oz. 10ml decants are selling for $125.

Now, I think that’s nuts. I wouldn’t pay it. But that’s the market.

Maybe at a yard sale to find one for $5 full, boxed...
*whipping my saliva...
Alright alright, back from dreamland :grin:

PStoller

Basenotes Plus
Aug 1, 2019

And yet, the same gram of cocaine that cost $90 in 1980 is still only $100 today.

Obviously I was investing in the wrong products in 1980.
You would think vintage cocaine would sell for more, given how the new stuff is just a shadow of its former self.

Cook.bot

Common Lackey
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012

You would think vintage cocaine would sell for more, given how the new stuff is just a shadow of its former self.

Maybe it would, if anybody ever kept cocaine around long enough for it to become vintage. Still waiting for that magical yard sale where I find a kilo of vintage cocaine for $5, still sealed and boxed. Just think of all the Patou Pour Homme you could buy with the proceeds from that.

PStoller

Basenotes Plus
Aug 1, 2019

Maybe it would, if anybody ever kept cocaine around long enough for it to become vintage.
I never had any quantity around, but I’d probably have either kept it or given it away. I tried it once, had a nice time, then said, “OK, now I never need to do that again.” I was never tempted to give it another go: the last thing I need is a drug that makes me more obnoxious than I already am.

Varanis Ridari

The Scented Devil
Basenotes Plus
Oct 17, 2012

While we're on this cocaine binge, we're going to form a band called Ifra and the Reformulations. Debut album is called "Shadows of our Former Selves" and all our songs will be blues rock a la Clapton bemoaning the "fall" of perfume after the end of the 20th century and exclaiming how everything from the 80's is a masterpiece. Only the first pressing of the vinyl will sound good. We'll deliberately remix each subsequent pressing to sound worse than the last, then blame the RIAA.

The Cologne Cabinet

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jul 22, 2014

While we're on this cocaine binge, we're going to form a band called Ifra and the Reformulations. Debut album is called "Shadows of our Former Selves" and all our songs will be blues rock a la Clapton bemoaning the "fall" of perfume after the end of the 20th century and exclaiming how everything from the 80's is a masterpiece. Only the first pressing of the vinyl will sound good. We'll deliberately remix each subsequent pressing to sound worse than the last, then blame the RIAA.

Eric-Clapton-Feat-1068x623.jpg

Cook.bot

Common Lackey
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012

^^ So perfect.

I once wound up standing next to him at a maitre d's podium. He is tiny. Barely came up past my shoulder.

Varanis Ridari

The Scented Devil
Basenotes Plus
Oct 17, 2012

^^ So perfect.

I once wound up standing next to him at a maitre d's podium. He is tiny. Barely came up past my shoulder.

Follow up albums:

Oakmoss and Other Love Stories
Blindbuying Blues

epapsiou

Always be smelling
Basenotes Plus
Sep 28, 2015

Maybe it would, if anybody ever kept cocaine around long enough for it to become vintage. Still waiting for that magical yard sale where I find a kilo of vintage cocaine for $5, still sealed and boxed. Just think of all the Patou Pour Homme you could buy with the proceeds from that.

Other way round Cook.bot.
A kilo of PPH for $5. Just think of all the Cocaine you could buy from the proceeds from that.

Varanis Ridari

The Scented Devil
Basenotes Plus
Oct 17, 2012

Backed up Avon Uomo (2000) and Avon HisStory (2003) because prices on them are starting to get a bit uncomfortable for Avon (even in vintage). If you're looking to try their early 2000's men's chypre suite, now is the time. All are labelled "cologne spray" but are easily eau de toilette strength.

These include:
Uomo (2000) - similar to Coriolan but a bit more ambery/soapy,
Modern Balance (2001) minty top, dries like a chypre Tsar,
Paradigm (2002) - soapy leather like Boucheron meets Moschino
HisStory (2003] - Green fresh leather, beware the soapy galbanum opening

Calice Becker nosed most of these, and they were marketed as "mature" options counter to the aquatics and gourmands they were also making then. When I first repurchased them, they were near original retail ($14-$25) now they're trending double that ($30-$50) which while still a "discount" price for designers, is a bit of a premium for Avon.

There might be only like, 5 of you realistically interested in early 2000's Avon, but still worth mentioning.

Varanis Ridari

The Scented Devil
Basenotes Plus
Oct 17, 2012

I know both the seller these all (but the Cuba) come from, and the price on that Super Fragrance from that seller ($300 for 50ml, over $400 for 100ml). You gotta be close to a grand on that order.

thrilledchilled

All Is Beautiful
Basenotes Plus
Nov 17, 2018

PStoller

Basenotes Plus
Aug 1, 2019

I know both the seller these all come from, and the price on that Super Fragrance. You gotta be close to a grand on that order.
In the ballpark, but I negotiated based on the size of my order. I grant you that the Super is still about 1/3 the cost of the lot: I haven't seen it for less (and I have seen it for more). Still, even throwing in the C&S Cuba from another seller, my total cost was still less than a single sealed 90ml bottle of Patou pour Homme EdT.

So, this ought to keep me for a week or so.

Varanis Ridari

The Scented Devil
Basenotes Plus
Oct 17, 2012

In the ballpark, but I negotiated based on the size of my order. I grant you that the Super is still about 1/3 the cost of the lot: I haven't seen it for less (and I have seen it for more). Still, even throwing in the C&S Cuba from another seller, my total cost was still less than a single sealed 90ml bottle of Patou pour Homme EdT.

To quote The Grateful Dead:

Driving that train
High on cocaine
Casey Jones you better
Watch your speed
Trouble ahead
Trouble behind
And you know that notion
Just crossed my mind?

(RIP Jerry Garcia)

epapsiou

Always be smelling
Basenotes Plus
Sep 28, 2015

Seems like someone was perfume shopping in CT

PStoller

Basenotes Plus
Aug 1, 2019

Seems like someone was perfume shopping in CT
haha...they have so many things I want but discount so little :cry:

Their prices vary relative to the market—sometimes they're the best, other times not—but that's easy enough to navigate. Once or twice a year, I'll make offers for a whole bunch at once, which I imagine gives me some bargaining power. I passed on a couple this time around where they countered fairly but I had reason to believe I could do better. That freed up cash for the C&S Cuba (on which I got a very good deal via a Mercari seller from whom I've purchased before). Stuff like Globe and Witness are cheapies I'd put off forever, so I figured I'd finally get them off my watch list.

None of which I know, all I wish I did, nice!

Most of them are blind buys, but I do have a mini of Aigner Silver and a sample of Versailles pour Homme.

nosey74

Aug 30, 2014

Their prices vary relative to the market—sometimes they're the best, other times not—but that's easy enough to navigate. Once or twice a year, I'll make offers for a whole bunch at once, which I imagine gives me some bargaining power. I passed on a couple this time around where they countered fairly but I had reason to believe I could do better. That freed up cash for the C&S Cuba (on which I got a very good deal via a Mercari seller from whom I've purchased before). Stuff like Globe and Witness are cheapies I'd put off forever, so I figured I'd finally get them off my watch list.

Most of them are blind buys, but I do have a mini of Aigner Silver and a sample of Versailles pour Homme.

Did they combine shipping for you or did you have to pay shipping for each item you purchased from them?

PStoller

Basenotes Plus
Aug 1, 2019

Did they combine shipping for you or did you have to pay shipping for each item you purchased from them?
Shipping was $9 for the first item and $5 each additional. Still too much relative to their cost if you ask me, but definitely less than before they combined.

The Cologne Cabinet

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jul 22, 2014

A big thanks to Zealot Crusader for the Avon men’s line tutorial and recommendations! :laugh:

Thai Winds - 1.5 oz barbershop brush cologne splash

IMG_6414.jpg

Tribute for Men - “The Horsemen”
6 oz cologne splash

IMG_6415.jpg

Clint - “Paul Revere” Bell Decanter
4 oz after shave splash

IMG_6416.jpg

aero58

Jan 30, 2019

....Shalimar....I also find it perfectly unisex if not masculine....

I agree as well - especially the extrait. I think I'm fortunate to have not had any family that ever wore it, so no prior female associations with it. But I understand how the familial mental association works regarding certain "marketed-to-women" fragrances - for instance: Youth Dew. That was my mother's signature, and because of that, I cannot wear it at all, even though it's a wonderful scent.

Latest News