Vintage Fragrance I Bought Today - 2022

Jean-Sté

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jan 1, 2021
So I read your whole post as Haggar not Hoggar then saw the picture and huh!!??? But it makes more sense, I would have thought I would have heard of Haggar cologne!!!! If this post is now not making sense to you Haggar is a mainstream to inexpensive clothing brand in the US, but I don't know that it's sold or nearly as common or sold at all outside US.
It's been around a long time so would make sense they had a fragrance at some point.... but searches only find Hoggar!

Checking BN was kind of funny too as found this thread:

Someone joins BN and there one and only post is.... "Haggar Pants"....... :unsure:

Well I guess this post is pretty useless and off topic, but thought it was funny how the brain fills in something you know instead of reading it right. And the belt looks like it could come from the other Haggar!!! Anyway, congratulations on finding something unexpected!
Thank you, woodnotes55 ! Very interesting reading of yours !

hednic

Basenotes Institution
Oct 25, 2007
The fragrance world equivalent of a mushroom cloud...
Screenshot_20221116-183717_Photo Editor.jpg
Congrats on this beauty and enjoy!

Alex F.

Basenotes Junkie
Nov 29, 2019
Funny story: I was looking for Hoggar (Yves Rocher, 2005), and I stumble upon some Hoggar, still from Yves Rocher, but the bottle seemd to come from the 80s rather than the 2000s. One look upon Parfumo, and bingo: Yvers Rocher launched some Hoggar in 1984. So I bought this one, which came with a belt (colors matching the box), and clearly itself from the 80s.
I have that one, too, sans the belt. I like it - I've put some of it into a pocket atomiser and have worn it a few times -, but it seems a bit thin to me. I only know the vintage fragrance, but it's said that it smells nothing like the current Hoggar.

Ali AD

Basenotes Junkie
Nov 26, 2017
Wow!!! Great purchases!
What do you think about this new Esencia's version? Faithful to the vintage ones?
Thanks!

Yes, the scent is still as glorious as it ever was IMO. Performance wise not as long-lasting as the vintage, but it's still a powerhouse.

I haven't yet tried the newest version (rectangular bottle) but I plan to get one and hope they haven't messed it up!

Alex F.

Basenotes Junkie
Nov 29, 2019
floral-aldehydic.jpg I've been looking for a bottle of Arpège ever since I missed a great offer for a 200ml bottle a few years ago. A few days ago I found a good offer for an Eau Arpège and immediately took it. It's an aldehydic floral perfume, quite timeless, in my opinion, unlike some of the older chypres that can smell a bit too musty for modern tastes. It makes me think of jasmin, mostly, with nice, creamy salicylates in the drydown. I like it, but it doesn't stick out among the other aldehydic florals I have in my collection.

LeChypreSexy

Oct 13, 2022
View attachment 310484 I've been looking for a bottle of Arpège ever since I missed a great offer for a 200ml bottle a few years ago. A few days ago I found a good offer for an Eau Arpège and immediately took it. It's an aldehydic floral perfume, quite timeless, in my opinion, unlike some of the older chypres that can smell a bit too musty for modern tastes. It makes me think of jasmin, mostly, with nice, creamy salicylates in the drydown. I like it, but it doesn't stick out among the other aldehydic florals I have in my collection.
That's precisely why I love Arpège. It smells pretty but not super different or distinctive. That's a nice big bottle you got there!

Jean-Sté

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jan 1, 2021
Those arrived yesterday. I bought Club privé because I already have the after-shave, and because @Ali AD bought it a couple of days ago. Thank you Ali !

Country Man and Grisbi L'Uomo are blind buys. Here is what they smell like, only sniffing from bottle:

Club privé reallys smells like a 70s scent, meaning dry and herbal.

Country Man immediately reminds me of Paco Rabanne pour Homme. The look-a-like is impresive.

Grisbi L'Uomo smells like a 80s powerhouse, dense.

More on those later, as soon as I wear them !

EDIT Surprisingly, Grisbi was launched in 1971. It doesn't smell 70s at all...maybe my nose is playing tricks on me.

ClubPrivéBottleBox.JPG

CountruManBottleBox.JPG

GrisbiLUomoBottleBox.JPG

JoM68

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jul 17, 2022
Estee Lauder - Youth Dew - I'm not sure what year but I read that if you look for 'festive/bright' packaging then it is likely to be older than current formulations, so I'm hoping that is the case.

Also a little miniature Rochas set containing Byzance, which I've already tried and loved; Femme and Madam Rochas. I got it particularly to try Femme.

Another mini - Genny EdT only because I kept seeing it and I want to know what it's like. I'm hoping it's vintage but not certain, though it does come with a box, so hopefully I'll be able to check it.

LeChypreSexy

Oct 13, 2022
Estee Lauder - Youth Dew - I'm not sure what year but I read that if you look for 'festive/bright' packaging then it is likely to be older than current formulations, so I'm hoping that is the case.

Also a little miniature Rochas set containing Byzance, which I've already tried and loved; Femme and Madam Rochas. I got it particularly to try Femme.

Another mini - Genny EdT only because I kept seeing it and I want to know what it's like. I'm hoping it's vintage but not certain, though it does come with a box, so hopefully I'll be able to check it.
The older Youth Dews came in either a heavy, square glass bottle or a blueish coloured plastic bottle.

LeChypreSexy

Oct 13, 2022
A recent acquisition.

Chrstian Dior Eau Sauvage. After Shave, Après Rasage 224ml 7.5fl oz. No box.
Grotty bottle, glorious fragrance! From what I can make out batch code 0Z367 last three digits are unimportant, the first 0 dates it to 1970.
Very pleased with this.

View attachment 310676
View attachment 310677
View attachment 310678
Yup, it's a funky looking bottle but I can remember seeing that one on my dad's bathroom sink counter. As long as the juice is good, that's alright! Eau Sauvage is a good one!

Ali AD

Basenotes Junkie
Nov 26, 2017
Those arrived yesterday. I bought Club privé because I already have the after-shave, and because @Ali AD bought it a couple of days ago. Thank you Ali !

Country Man and Grisbi L'Uomo are blind buys. Here is what they smell like, only sniffing from bottle:

Club privé reallys smells like a 70s scent, meaning dry and herbal.

Country Man immediately reminds me of Paco Rabanne pour Homme. The look-a-like is impresive.

Grisbi L'Uomo smells like a 80s powerhouse, dense.

More on those later, as soon as I wear them !

EDIT Surprisingly, Grisbi was launched in 1971. It doesn't smell 70s at all...maybe my nose is playing tricks on me.

View attachment 310667

View attachment 310668

View attachment 310669

Nice!!

Now you got me intrigued with Country Man!

LeChypreSexy

Oct 13, 2022
Ahh, in that case it's likely to be a more recent formulation. Maybe there'll be more info on the box/bottle.
To be honest I don't think Lauder has changed Youth Dew very much over the years. Even the stuff I sell today is still extremely strong and smells like it did when I was a kid (lots of older ladies at my church wore it). Don't spray Youth Dew on or near clothing, as it has an oil base and it will stain fabric. Originally it was sold as bath oil.

JoM68

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jul 17, 2022
To be honest I don't think Lauder has changed Youth Dew very much over the years. Even the stuff I sell today is still extremely strong and smells like it did when I was a kid (lots of older ladies at my church wore it). Don't spray Youth Dew on or near clothing, as it has an oil base and it will stain fabric. Originally it was sold as bath oil.
Thank you for the warning. I had read that long time lovers of Youth Dew were a bit disgruntled about a recent formulation diluting it somewhat, but I'm mainly trying it out of curiosity.

LeChypreSexy

Oct 13, 2022
Thank you for the warning. I had read that long time lovers of Youth Dew were a bit disgruntled about a recent formulation diluting it somewhat, but I'm mainly trying it out of curiosity.
It's still powerfully strong. I have long time Lauder customers who've worn it for decades and love Youth Dew. Younger customers who've never tried it often recoil in horror after spraying it. Youth Dew is very "love it or hate it" but that's what really great perfumes are like. It is one of the few perfumes left that still has a matching dusting powder, body cream, bath oil (that is the "original" scent) and deodorant. I'm not personally a huge fan of Youth Dew but the body cream and deodorant are very very good.

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Retired
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011

JoM68

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jul 17, 2022
It's still powerfully strong. I have long time Lauder customers who've worn it for decades and love Youth Dew. Younger customers who've never tried it often recoil in horror after spraying it. Youth Dew is very "love it or hate it" but that's what really great perfumes are like. It is one of the few perfumes left that still has a matching dusting powder, body cream, bath oil (that is the "original" scent) and deodorant. I'm not personally a huge fan of Youth Dew but the body cream and deodorant are very very good.
Fascinating. It's quite impressive for a fragrance to not have changed very much and still be available so many decades later. Hopefully, no longer being a youngster, I will like it. Thank you again for your insights.

Latest News

Whatever your taste in perfume, we've got you covered...

catalogue your collection, keep track of your perfume wish-list, log your daily fragrance wears, review your latest finds, seek out long-lost scented loves, keep track of the latest perfume news, find your new favourite fragrance, and discuss perfume with like-minded people from all over the world...