Vintage Fragrance I Bought Today - 2022

hednic

Basenotes Institution
Oct 25, 2007
1664975412994.png

just arrived my 3rd (and hope the last for a while) bottle :D
Never can have enough of something you really like! Congrats!

RCavs

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 13, 2004
Homme de Cayenne, when I smelled it directly from the bottle, immediately reminded me two scents:

1/ Opinion by Hanorah

2/ Paco Rabanne pour Homme

And Homme de Cayenne smells great ! (I didn't spray Mitos yet, so I can't tell.)

It's the first time I 'm able to describe one scent with two others. I'll report after wearing, because more ore less often, the scent doesn't smell exactly the same just by smelling it, or by wearing it. I'll do the same with Mitos, too !

John Sterling: after-shave and eau de toilette. Totally unknown to me; smells like Bel Ami and Knize Ten: powerful petroleum leather.

View attachment 300172

View attachment 300173
Jean, I blind bought a tester of this fragrance just before pandemics without knowing anything about it and I had a totally different perception: I didn't like it at all... For me It starts with a refreshing synthetic vibe from the 90s (cool water, sergio tacchini sport extreme, eternity) and then It dries down to an annoying sweet fruity accord, like overripe melon... :confused:

Jean-Sté

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jan 1, 2021
Jean, I blind bought a tester of this fragrance just before pandemics without knowing anything about it and I had a totally different perception: I didn't like it at all... For me It starts with a refreshing synthetic vibe from the 90s (cool water, sergio tacchini sport extreme, eternity) and then It dries down to an annoying sweet fruity accord, like overripe melon... :confused:
Hello RCavs ! Sorry, I didn't understand which fragrance exactly you were talking about: Homme de Cayenne, or John Sterling ?

Jul 9, 2021
Very nice. Town & Country is amongst my favorite Crowns.
Surprisingly good longevity on that one.

Yes, there mostly seems to be only aftershaves left to buy. Crown Spiced Limes, Sandringham and Marquis AS's are ranging between 20 and 30 euros only for 100 mls + a quite expensive shipping of another 30 euros, though.

Would've loved to try Eau de Russe or their fern.

PStoller

I’m not old, I’m vintage.
Basenotes Plus
Aug 1, 2019
Yes, there mostly seems to be only aftershaves left to buy. Crown Spiced Limes, Sandringham and Marquis AS's are ranging between 20 and 30 euros only for 100 mls + a quite expensive shipping of another 30 euros, though.

Would've loved to try Eau de Russe or their fern.

I’ve managed to collect EDTs of all but 3: Heliotrope, Alpine Lily, and Marechale Original. I do have samples of those, but would love bottles, esp. of Marechale. Sandringham is another fave of mine, along with Park Royal.

Alex F.

Basenotes Junkie
Nov 29, 2019
I've been good these past couple of weeks (or even months). I didn't needlessly expand my collection. But then yesterday I couldn't help but buy a rather new fragrance that I've read good things about on this forum - Bois impérial by Essential Parfums - and unfortunately it hasn't managed to fully convince me yet. Too linear, not complex enough. When I bought it, I got a small tester vial of it, too, so the bottle is still unopened and may end up being gifted away.
Today, I stumbled across an acceptable offer for a 100 ml vintage tester of a perfume that I've had my eye on for a while now, Pour homme by Lacoste. This one is a clear miss. 😞 First impression: herbal-aldehydic, immediately filed away with other harsh masculines that I don't like and that all smell very similar to me: Aramis Devin, Burberrys For men, Krizia Uomo, and several others, even including vintage Quorum, and very probably vintage Yatagan, too, although I only know the new version.
I guess I should go back to exercising my restraint and not buying anything unless it's a great offer.

croco.jpg

Edit: I'll have to properly wear the Lacoste, before I make up my mind about it. It has something freshly-showered but sweaty still/again that could be interesting. I'll have to ask my significant other what she thinks about it. Quite sure she'll hate it, though. 😬 Loves the fresh synthetic Bois impérial, so at least there's that.

Last edited:

nosey74

Basenotes Dependent
Aug 30, 2014
I've been good these past couple of weeks (or even months). I didn't needlessly expand my collection. But then yesterday I couldn't help but buy a rather new fragrance that I've read good things about on this forum - Bois impérial by Essential Parfums - and unfortunately it hasn't managed to fully convince me yet. Too linear, not complex enough. When I bought it, I got a small tester vial of it, too, so the bottle is still unopened and may end up being gifted away.
Today, I stumbled across an acceptable offer for a 100 ml vintage tester of a perfume that I've had my eye on for a while now, Pour homme by Lacoste. This one is a clear miss. 😞 First impression: herbal-aldehydic, immediately filed away with other harsh masculines that I don't like and that all smell very similar to me: Aramis Devin, Burberrys For men, Krizia Uomo, and several others, even including vintage Quorum, and very probably vintage Yatagan, too, although I only know the new version.
I guess I should go back to exercising my restraint and not buying anything unless it's a great offer.

View attachment 303989

Edit: I'll have to properly wear the Lacost, before I make up my mind about it. It has something freshly-showered but sweaty still/again that could be interesting. I'll have to ask my significant other what she thinks about it. Quite sure she'll hate it, though. 😬 Loves the fresh synthetic Bois impérial, so at least there's that.
I know how you feel. You win some, you lose some. Better luck next time!

rybot

Basenotes Junkie
Nov 21, 2012
New arrival !. Cumin can sometimes be problematic for me but it is deftly handled here - enough to be interesting but never offensively prominent. I am still to try anything by Kerleo that I haven't loved :)

iOcBAEW.jpg
Always wanted to try this one, but it seems to be very hard to find! Glad to hear it is to your liking, sounds very nice!

relus

Basenotes Junkie
Mar 21, 2019
Just 2 more minis of Dior Jules. Got them for a good price. Even minis of Jules are crazy priced nowadays, still if you see a good bargain minis are nice, decant them and you can have a cheap but excellrnt alternative compared to a bigger bottle.

Attachments

• 20221011_171237.jpg
    20221011_171237.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 3

hednic

Basenotes Institution
Oct 25, 2007
Just 2 more minis of Dior Jules. Got them for a good price. Even minis of Jules are crazy priced nowadays, still if you see a good bargain minis are nice, decant them and you can have a cheap but excellrnt alternative compared to a bigger bottle.
This is good stuff in any size!

Latest News

Whatever your taste in perfume, we've got you covered...

catalogue your collection, keep track of your perfume wish-list, log your daily fragrance wears, review your latest finds, seek out long-lost scented loves, keep track of the latest perfume news, find your new favourite fragrance, and discuss perfume with like-minded people from all over the world...