Vintage Forum - unable to post or post not showing on public page

Bavard

Wearing Perfume Right Now
Basenotes Plus
Jul 20, 2015
I can't. The last post I see in that thread is from June 2nd.

How many total pages do you see there, Bavard? I see 5 pages. And are you using Tapatalk?

I'm not using Tapatalk. I can see the whole rotations thread (I think) I've posted in it recently. I can see my post and Trilby's also. I view threads with 100 posts per page.

Cook.bot

Common Lackey
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
I'm not using Tapatalk. I can see the whole rotations thread (I think) I've posted in it recently. I can see my post and Trilby's also. I view threads with 100 posts per page.

The last post I can see in that thread right now (1 October, 11:20am EST) is by Trilby Lark, post #180, on 1 September. So it's moved a bit from June, but isn't yet current (at least not for me and Ebenas).

I'm viewing 30 threads per page, and there's now 6 pages in the thread. I'm on a PC with current versions of Firefox and Chrome.

PStoller

I’m not old, I’m vintage.
Basenotes Plus
Aug 1, 2019

The last post I can see in that thread right now (1 October, 11:20am EST) is by Trilby Lark, post #180, on 1 September. So it's moved a bit from June, but isn't yet current (at least not for me and Ebenas).

I'm viewing 30 threads per page, and there's now 6 pages in the thread. I'm on a PC with current versions of Firefox and Chrome.

I didn't even realize you could set the view to 100 posts per page. Whether that did it or not, I can also see all the messages in the Rotations thread.

Not sure about the Oakmoss in Vintage and Why Did You Join threads: in those, the number of the last message is not in sync with the "Results # to # of #" numbering at the top of the page, which is one of the indicators that the thread is corrupted.

Cook.bot

Common Lackey
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
I didn't even realize you could set the view to 100 posts per page. Whether that did it or not, I can also see all the messages in the Rotations thread.

Strange. When I switch to the "100 posts per thread" setting, I can see the missing posts in "Synchronized Fridays", "Perfume Rotations", "Have You Binged Lately", and "Latest Movie/DVD" threads. I made test posts in 3, and all 3 appeared.

But setting at 100 posts slows my navigation waaay down, especially in the graphics-heavy threads.

PStoller

Basenotes Plus
Aug 1, 2019
Strange. When I switch to the "100 posts per thread" setting, I can see the missing posts in "Synchronized Fridays", "Perfume Rotations", "Have You Binged Lately", and "Latest Movie/DVD" threads. I made test posts in 3, and all 3 appeared.

But setting at 100 posts slows my navigation waaay down, especially in the graphics-heavy threads.
Yeah, I've noticed the slowdown as well. So, what happens if you go back to 30 posts per page, but reset the display order to Newest First?

Cook.bot

Common Lackey
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
So, what happens if you go back to 30 posts per page, but reset the display order to Newest First?

Oooo, you so clevah. Let's try it!

Edit: Hoo boy, that was weird. With display order reset to Newest First, and 30 posts per page, three of the threads I tested started at completely different dates than either of the previous settings, and the dates seemed utterly random.

The third thread, "Your Perfume Rotations", refused to reset to Newest First no matter how many times I reloaded or jiggered it.

Curiouser and curiouser.

I think I'm getting a headache now.

PStoller

Basenotes Plus
Aug 1, 2019
Oooo, you so clevah. Let's try it!
I cheated a little and went to 40 ppp. But, after doing that and reversing the display order, the actual message count appears in sync with the displayed results count. And I saw your DVD test post. Not sure how much of this is Grant fixing things and how much is working around the bug with settings.

I'm too used to Oldest First, so I switched back, but I'm staying at 40 ppp.

PStoller

Basenotes Plus
Aug 1, 2019
Follow up: after the reset to oldest first/40, the rotations page tells me there should be a page 5, but I can't access it; it loops me back to page 2 whenever I try. So, there are still problems under the hood. Alas, I don't know anything about how the site is structured or maintained, so it looks like Grant is still on his own with these issues.

Cook.bot

Common Lackey
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012

Cook.bot

Common Lackey
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012

I made a test post in that thread today to see if it had gotten stuck. My post showed on the thread, on the forum index, and on my profile activity page. At that time, the last post in the thread was #390, so it's actually lost posts since then!

This is what currently shows on my own "latest posts" page:

=================

Today, 11:13 AM

• [h=2]Thread: Mixerscent Attar and deep Vintage Sample Pass
    [/h] by Cook.bot

Replies
    Views

[h=3]
    icon1.png
    Re: Mixerscent Attar and deep Vintage Sample Pass
    [/h]
    ::: test post :::

Edit: this post is showing as Post #435, following Post #390. What the hell happened to Posts #391 - 434???

PStoller

Basenotes Plus
Aug 1, 2019
This is what currently shows on my own "latest posts" page:

=================

Today, 11:13 AM

See that "386"? That's how we know where the corruption is in the thread. At the top of the last page (viewing 40 pp), it says, "Results 361 to 387 of 387," and yet purecaramel's post #400 appears at the bottom. Because we can view pages with different numbers of posts, the last post we see may be different, but whatever page has post #387 will be the last page we can access.

I'm listing the post numbers because I think it will help Grant know where to look for the problem.

Cook.bot

Common Lackey
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
Because we can view pages with different numbers of posts, the last post we see may be different, but whatever page has post #387 will be the last page we can access.

Ohhhh. Now I get it. My settings are for 30 posts per page, so for the final page I'm seeing is page 13, posts 361-387. And the last post on that page is #390 by cacio, 20th May 2019.

I'm listing the post numbers because I think it will help Grant know where to look for the problem.

Gotcha.

One thing I don't understand is why all these truncated threads have also had their embedded photos removed, and replaced by hypertext that says "attachment #XXXX", but that linked hypertext just takes you to an error page.

I sure hope Grant's been doing regular site backups so we don't lose these archival threads like the Mixerscent Pass and the big vintage Dior thread. Those are real troves of information and research. Think of the children!

PStoller

Basenotes Plus
Aug 1, 2019
One thing I don't understand is why all these truncated threads have also had their embedded photos removed, and replaced by hypertext that says "attachment #XXXX", but that linked hypertext just takes you to an error page.

I sure hope Grant's been doing regular site backups so we don't lose these archival threads like the Mixerscent Pass and the big vintage Dior thread. Those are real troves of information and research. Think of the children!
If I had to guess—and I do—I'd say it's related to the same corruption that renders the next page inaccessible. Just as the later messages are actually there, it may be that the images are there but the link to them is malformed, so attempting to view them generates an error message.

That said, the only such attachment I see in the thread is Attachment 99479 in pure caramel's quote of grayspoole, and I see it just fine. Can you point me to an attachment that generates an error?

Cook.bot

Common Lackey
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
That said, the only such attachment I see in the thread is Attachment 99479 in pure caramel's quote of grayspoole, and I see it just fine. Can you point me to an attachment that generates an error?

That particular thread is not a good example, since it's a pass and doesn't have many photos in it. I'll try to find other truncated ones that I'd noticed it in and come back here to list them.

Latest News