Vintage Drakkar Noir differences

Opiate

Sep 19, 2010
I recently scored 2 different nos vintage Drakkar Noir bottles.
One is a splash bottle that has “Guy Laroche Paris” in one line across the bottom & batch code UGKH. I believe this is the oldest version.
The other has “Paris” under Guy Laroche but still the same bubble font letters. Batch code us225.
Both are Cosmair.

The older splash bottle is completely French lavender dominated, and smells like the opening of Guerlain Heritage almost the whole time. At the very end it starts to lean towards a fougere- whereas the other bottle smells like what I remember from my youth: A bold & magnificent fougere, in the vein of Rive Gauche(Albert with much more facets).
That splash bottle really threw me off guard. I’m wondering if it just went bad, as I’ve had that experience with other vintage splash bottles. Or is it just a French Lavender bomb?

Does anyone have both of these older versions? I’d love to compare notes.

E1AEBEBA-8977-4810-B204-4F590A657B74.jpeg

PStoller

I’m not old, I’m vintage.
Basenotes Plus
Aug 1, 2019
You might find this interesting:

https://frompyrgos.blogspot.com/2013/08/dihydromyrcenol-understanding-evolution.html

Specifically, it states that Drakkar Noir uses spike lavender rather than traditional lavender.

It also clarifies for me that my aversion to dihydromyrcenol is tied to concentration, since it doesn’t bother me in Paco Rabanne of Grey Flannel, but it does in Cool Water and GIT. Drakkar Noir would sit in between, so I’m not sure if it would trigger my revulsion. (Yes, it’s true: I’ve never tried Drakkar Noir.)

Jean-Sté

Jan 1, 2021
You might find this interesting:

https://frompyrgos.blogspot.com/2013/08/dihydromyrcenol-understanding-evolution.html

Specifically, it states that Drakkar Noir uses spike lavender rather than traditional lavender.

It also clarifies for me that my aversion to dihydromyrcenol is tied to concentration, since it doesn’t bother me in Paco Rabanne of Grey Flannel, but it does in Cool Water and GIT. Drakkar Noir would sit in between, so I’m not sure if it would trigger my revulsion. (Yes, it’s true: I’ve never tried Drakkar Noir.)

Very interesting ! Thank you very much !

yourthemannowdog

Jan 22, 2021
the oldest bottles are tall and thinner i have one . the older tall bottles are higher quality ingredients then the bottles you listed which i also own .

Slayerized

Jul 17, 2011
the oldest bottles are tall and thinner i have one . the older tall bottles are higher quality ingredients then the bottles you listed which i also own .

I once had a 25ml of the very old atomiseur version which sprayed like a deodorant and was empty before I knew it......:laugh:

21b1ab1fdad9746c7a733a92dff4e198.jpg

HankHarvey

Jul 15, 2014
Belcam's version seems to have more patchouli in it than the current formula of DN. The dihydromyrcenol has been pretty much the same throughout the lifespan of this fragrance, nearly 40 years now. It stands as always at about 10% of the formula.

Hugh V.

Dec 9, 2016
Belcam's version seems to have more patchouli in it than the current formula of DN. The dihydromyrcenol has been pretty much the same throughout the lifespan of this fragrance, nearly 40 years now. It stands as always at about 10% of the formula.

Just based on that I'm going to have to try Classic Match again. I had it before, and got rid of it because I felt it was just an even more synthetic smelling version of the current stuff.

Drakkar Noir is weird. I remember sampling the current stuff a few years ago and it had that distinctive Drakkar Noir smell that I remembered as a kid.

I just recently got the vintage, tall skinny bottle, and also, it smelled just like I remembered—except far smoother and elegant. I guess it's the patchouli that's doing the heavy lifting in the original version, along with the oakmoss. And the base settles as a very green scent, which you can find in Al-Rehab Dakar.

HankHarvey

Jul 15, 2014
Just based on that I'm going to have to try Classic Match again. I had it before, and got rid of it because I felt it was just an even more synthetic smelling version of the current stuff.

Drakkar Noir is weird. I remember sampling the current stuff a few years ago and it had that distinctive Drakkar Noir smell that I remembered as a kid.

I just recently got the vintage, tall skinny bottle, and also, it smelled just like I remembered—except far smoother and elegant. I guess it's the patchouli that's doing the heavy lifting in the original version, along with the oakmoss. And the base settles as a very green scent, which you can find in Al-Rehab Dakar.

Could be, or maybe it's just gotten so old that the notes blended together more cohesively. Dakar is very similar to Drakkar. The only thing differentiating that one from its template is it's missing an "r" and a "k." But in all seriousness, Dakar is probably the best (and most potent) clone of this scent. I'd place Belcam's version at #2. Lomani PH is a distant 3rd. Was never completely sold on that one.

mustardsalad

Jan 27, 2016
I have a 1982 bottle, an early '90s bottle, and an early '00s bottle (Cosmair).

The '82 bottle has quite a bit of pine in it (called "fir" in the notes, but whatever; I smell pine) - the early 90s bottle dials the pine/fir way back and I can smell the lavender and oakmoss more. The early '00s bottle smells similar to the '90s bottle, but ever so slightly "freshened" up, while still maintaining most of its depth.

Ifti

Aug 5, 2016
I was fortunate to pick up this curio.
Smells dank!
Also then had to get a current versions.
I get a tiniest bit of going off in the top ( no more than a few mins thankfully). However there rest of the development is pretty stellar. I can only do an analogue and live band vs squashed digital sound sort of comparison tween the two.
Vintage has a real depth and weight. Great contrasts, with gassy fluffy steamy shower vibes + a great aromatic + cut through like butter base.
It's good stuff still I enjoy both.

20210410_135728.jpg

Jean-Sté

Jan 1, 2021
I was fortunate to pick up this curio.
Smells dank!
Also then had to get a current versions.
I get a tiniest bit of going off in the top ( no more than a few mins thankfully). However there rest of the development is pretty stellar. I can only do an analogue and live band vs squashed digital sound sort of comparison tween the two.
Vintage has a real depth and weight. Great contrasts, with gassy fluffy steamy shower vibes + a great aromatic + cut through like butter base.
It's good stuff still I enjoy both.

View attachment 153854

Hello ! I've never seen this oddity before...do you know what is the purpose of this "two-ended" bottle ?

Latest News