Vintage Creed Millesime Imperial ?

vd86

Oct 17, 2017
Hey guys,

I love the smell of Creeds Millesime Imperial.
However I only know the modern batches, 2017 and up.

It is shocking to me that this fragrance came out in 1994, because it doesnt necessarily smell like a 90s fragrance.

Is anyone of the older gentlemen here who can tell me how this fragrance smelled in the 90s or 2000s ?

Was it more salty, more oldschool smelling than today?

I think I could ask P. Diddy though, since he used it since the 90s as his signature scent, haha.

Thanks for your help!!

StylinLA

Aug 9, 2009
I was just discovering CREED scents when it first came out and was in gold bottle.

I didn't start wearing it until about five years ago. I don't have memories of it being "way stronger" back in '94 or anything like that. (I did think the gold bottle was cool).

Some others may weigh in, but I really don't think it has changed that much, and I get pretty decent performance from my fairly recent bottle.
With many of the IFRA regulations, they may have had to reformulate once or more in past 26 years, but I don't think MILLESIME IMPERIALE was deeply impacted by these regs.

I know there are a lot of scents that have undergone big changes over the years for cost reasons and regulation reasons, but I don't think this one has not been horribly compromised and I quite like the current version.

I also don't recall ever seeing much if any chatter here about people pursuing "vintage" bottles.

I think it's a good scent, great for summer, and has aged well. It was quite unique at the time.

PrinceRF

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 3, 2020
I have no experience with older batches, but I do love the fragrance even in its modern form. I'm sure N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer can provide some insight on this one.

Jcelello

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Mar 26, 2019
I had an older bottle from 2008 or 2009 I believe. My current bottle is from 2015. They last and smell about the same from what I can recall.

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Semi-Retirement
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
I was just discovering CREED scents when it first came out and was in gold bottle.

I didn't start wearing it until about five years ago. I don't have memories of it being "way stronger" back in '94 or anything like that. (I did think the gold bottle was cool).

Some others may weigh in, but I really don't think it has changed that much, and I get pretty decent performance from my fairly recent bottle.
With many of the IFRA regulations, they may have had to reformulate once or more in past 26 years, but I don't think MILLESIME IMPERIALE was deeply impacted by these regs.

I know there are a lot of scents that have undergone big changes over the years for cost reasons and regulation reasons, but I don't think this one has not been horribly compromised and I quite like the current version.

I also don't recall ever seeing much if any chatter here about people pursuing "vintage" bottles.

I think it's a good scent, great for summer, and has aged well. It was quite unique at the time.
Ask N.Cal. This is one of his signature frags.

I've yet to find a bottle from the mid/late 90s but I do own a few bottles from the early/mid 2000s.

I would say the gold plated bottles are more full-bodied. They have significantly stronger ambergris bases combined with salt and the citrus in the opening. Surprisingly the top notes haven't eroded much if not at all in any of my three gold plated bottles. The late 2000s bottles are also good if one can find them, the citrus notes held up pretty well in the non-plated bottles in those years.

StylinLA

Aug 9, 2009
I've yet to find a bottle from the mid/late 90s but I do own a few bottles from the early/mid 2000s.

I would say the gold plated bottles are more full-bodied. They have significantly stronger ambergris bases combined with salt and the citrus in the opening. Surprisingly the top notes haven't eroded much if not at all in any of my three gold plated bottles. The late 2000s bottles are also good if one can find them, the citrus notes held up pretty well in the non-plated bottles in those years.

The gold plated bottle did look cool. I'll take "Mr Vintage" word for saying it used to be stronger...true for many scents. Personally, I find the current version nice enough to not seek a vinrtage version.

Old Basenoter side story: In my early days here, there was a guy obsessed with MILLESIME IMPERIALE. He posted a lot about how he loved it constantly. He then started more or less asking for our agreement that it was fine that he loved MI. He had a dresser drawer with 24 bottles and wanted to buy more, and his wife was begging him to stop. So we all know we're all kind of frag crazy here, but people were like "Dude! Stop! Listen to your wife!"

rum

Basenotes Plus
Mar 17, 2011

The gold plated bottle did look cool. I'll take "Mr Vintage" word for saying it used to be stronger...true for many scents. Personally, I find the current version nice enough to not seek a vinrtage version.

Any experience on recent batches of the 250ml splash flacons? Has anyone first hand (recent) experience of these that they can share with us?

acjigga

Apr 12, 2003

Old Basenoter side story: In my early days here, there was a guy obsessed with MILLESIME IMPERIALE. He posted a lot about how he loved it constantly. He then started more or less asking for our agreement that it was fine that he loved MI. He had a dresser drawer with 24 bottles and wanted to buy more, and his wife was begging him to stop. So we all know we're all kind of frag crazy here, but people were like "Dude! Stop! Listen to your wife!"

I remember that guy LOL! I think there also was a guy in that thread that had a drawer full of Givenchy Pi. He said that every time he went to a department store he had to buy a bottle.

StylinLA

Aug 9, 2009
I remember that guy LOL! I think there also was a guy in that thread that had a drawer full of Givenchy Pi. He said that every time he went to a department store he had to buy a bottle.

Ha...look at you! Join date 2003?!?

That was hard to watch unfold...it went from sort or typical Basenoter enthusiasm for a scent to "get help dude" in a hurry.

I don't remember the Pi guy...

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Semi-Retirement
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011

So I'm guessing there was also a ritual where he would open the drawer and take a sniff to get some of the Pi aroma? Personally I enjoy the small pi symbol bottles back in the day, at one point it was my signature scent.

Ha...look at you! Join date 2003?!?

That was hard to watch unfold...it went from sort or typical Basenoter enthusiasm for a scent to "get help dude" in a hurry.

I don't remember the Pi guy...

Both cases certainly fall under the compulsion category. Certainly neither bottle was rare in those days but now these days I wouldn't blame individuals who choose to seek out multiple bottles of such scents.

Apr 3, 2020
I have a 2020 bottle and was just able to score a 30ml bought in 2000 from the original owner. There is a REALLY big difference. The old one is so much more complex and has more depth. You get a lot of different notes but they smell beautiful together. It acts beautiful in the air around you. The new one is a lot flatter, weaker, does not have such a nice sillage. Especially with current prices, it's a pity. I don't know what I will do with my 2020 bottle. I was able to buy it new for 100€ almost a year ago (old pricing in Europe an coupon), so maybe I'll keep it, but I'll treasure my small vintage bottle. Finding a 2000 bottle is not easy these days.

hednic

Oct 25, 2007
Just be patient and keep checking around. You might surprise yourself by finding an earlier version like what you have now,. :)

Mr G

Feb 29, 2012

This made me laugh so much. :ROFLMAO:

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Semi-Retirement
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
I have a 2020 bottle and was just able to score a 30ml bought in 2000 from the original owner. There is a REALLY big difference. The old one is so much more complex and has more depth. You get a lot of different notes but they smell beautiful together. It acts beautiful in the air around you. The new one is a lot flatter, weaker, does not have such a nice sillage. Especially with current prices, it's a pity. I don't know what I will do with my 2020 bottle. I was able to buy it new for 100€ almost a year ago (old pricing in Europe an coupon), so maybe I'll keep it, but I'll treasure my small vintage bottle. Finding a 2000 bottle is not easy these days.
Earlier bottles have a much stronger ambergris base. The original 75/120ml gold plated bottles are the ones that will have this wonderful drydown. The 2000's were solid for MI.

Buzzlepuff

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 27, 2005
I bought a bottle of MI when it came out in the mid 90's. I also had a collection of about 5 other Creed from the early 90's and back. The really populaar ones from memory were MI, SMN (also new at the time) and Erolfa. To me the bottles from early releases were much stronger than todays versions although today they have regained some of there strength from the bottles being released in the early 2000's which were weaker and flatter from the slow substitution of raw materials with newer products. About MI - it was much bolder and there was much more definition between the citrus and the ambergris type base notes. Also the same was true with SMN which had very strong blackberry or black currant scent (?) and the coldness of the scent never returned with this one. Also Erolfa was quite a sparkling beast of a scent that has never returned to the glory days of mid 90's. I think that recent versions of all of these have gotten stronger and have come back from the weaker ones that came out around 2001. That is just a generalized opinion from my memory and I don't really track the various releases like some do. I still have bottles of all of these, but only one is from those old days and it is late 90's and came out after the originals were released. One of issue is that back in the 90's there were not any other fragrances that had the boldness and clarity of these early Creeds so I am not sure if my memory of them can be truly objective because there was little to compare them to like there is today. The fragrance world is easily 1,000 times bigger and more evolved than it was thirty years ago, IMO.

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Semi-Retirement
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
I bought a bottle of MI when it came out in the mid 90's. I also had a collection of about 5 other Creed from the early 90's and back. The really populaar ones from memory were MI, SMN (also new at the time) and Erolfa. To me the bottles from early releases were much stronger than todays versions although today they have regained some of there strength from the bottles being released in the early 2000's which were weaker and flatter from the slow substitution of raw materials with newer products. About MI - it was much bolder and there was much more definition between the citrus and the ambergris type base notes. Also the same was true with SMN which had very strong blackberry or black currant scent (?) and the coldness of the scent never returned with this one. Also Erolfa was quite a sparkling beast of a scent that has never returned to the glory days of mid 90's. I think that recent versions of all of these have gotten stronger and have come back from the weaker ones that came out around 2001. That is just a generalized opinion from my memory and I don't really track the various releases like some do. I still have bottles of all of these, but only one is from those old days and it is late 90's and came out after the originals were released. One of issue is that back in the 90's there were not any other fragrances that had the boldness and clarity of these early Creeds so I am not sure if my memory of them can be truly objective because there was little to compare them to like there is today. The fragrance world is easily 1,000 times bigger and more evolved than it was thirty years ago, IMO.
Interesting. I've never tried Creed MI from the 1990s. I thought the early 2000s and mid 2000s was potent.

Did you see any of the Private Collection or obscure scents from the 1990s? I'm curious if stuff like Verveine Narcisse, Bayrhum Vetiver, Herbe Marine, Bois de Rhodes, Cuir Imperial, Ylang Jonquiles circulated in some capacity during that era.

Latest News