Vintage Cool Water?

Bulakenyo

Sep 22, 2011
I believe you but you didn't say it was an edt in your first anwer (Post #39), saying it is a splash only.
Anyway, good catch and I hope it still smells well! Decant it and spray ahead :eek:

OK. Thank you.

From basenotes, I've learned that they stopped using cursive font for Cool Water around 2008, so this bottle is at least 8-10 years old.

I don't know when Cool Water stopped producing splash bottles. Probably a little earlier than 2008. Maybe I'm wrong.

Slayerized

Jul 17, 2011
OK. Thank you.

From basenotes, I've learned that they stopped using cursive font for Cool Water around 2008, so this bottle is at least 8-10 years old.

I don't know when Cool Water stopped producing splash bottles. Probably a little earlier than 2008. Maybe I'm wrong.

As I said earlier I am sure it is from the early nineties.

vd86

Oct 17, 2017
this is the VERY first bottle, since you can clearly read on the label "UTIF 54 Milan",
it's the italian sticker, and "UTIF" regulations ceased in 1990.
So most likely it dates back to end of 80s- beginning of 90s at latest.
Congratulations!

Very interesting.
But why does it have an italian sticker?
Lancaster are british/german if im right, atleast the lancaster manager who made this a topseller is called Herbert Frommen and hes from germany.
And it says Davidoff Parfums Paris, so what does it have to do with italy?

Hugh V.

Dec 9, 2016
I was thinking about getting a bottle of Cool Water but ruled against it. The new stuff is supposedly a shell of it's former self, and even the logo is changed. I'd love to get vintage but I have a feeling that this particular fragrance is the most susceptible to turning. I had a bottle of vintage Polo Sport, itself very similar to Cool Water, and it turnt a little in the top notes and middle. The sporty/fresh vibe of a scent like Cool Water or Polo Sport is completely ruined IMO, even if it turns just a little.

it's too bad.

vd86

Oct 17, 2017
My vintage cool water is fine. The top note is a bit scratchy but after 5 minutes that smell is gone and what is left is a divine smell. It smells so clean, fresh, a bit smokey, smells very high quality. I believe its the oakmoss what makes the difference. Oakmoss is now banned or restricted since a few years.

Todays Cool Water still smells like that but you can definitely smell the loss of quality, it overall smells more aquatic and synthetic.

Hugh V.

Dec 9, 2016
My vintage cool water is fine. The top note is a bit scratchy but after 5 minutes that smell is gone and what is left is a divine smell. It smells so clean, fresh, a bit smokey, smells very high quality. I believe its the oakmoss what makes the difference. Oakmoss is now banned or restricted since a few years.

Todays Cool Water still smells like that but you can definitely smell the loss of quality, it overall smells more aquatic and synthetic.

5 minutes of scratchiness isn't bad at all. I've heard the smokey description before of the dry down but I don't remember that element of it at all. Then again, it's been forever since I wore it, I was a kid back then.

I remember smelling the new stuff at Macy's a year ago, and it smelled just as good, if not better, but I didn't test the dry down.

adamn2020

May 29, 2018
I hate to revive an old thread but did not feel like creating a new one lol. I haven’t smelled Cool Water in years and it has been on my radar recently, but I have been more interested in the vintage.. I haven’t done a deep dive into what a true vintage CW looks like except that the Cursive on the front is a good start.

What do y’all think of this Giftset I just ordered, is it legit? Is it early 2000’s or late 90’s?

5E4FAAD8-C67F-46F7-A6A1-2B008331BBE7.jpg

3A42E336-F438-43F7-A874-03885C1625E9.jpg

79BFA781-B5AD-421C-823B-A0F600725E36.jpg

vd86

Oct 17, 2017
The batchcode says 2013, wich isnt the case because the cursive lettering is there.
The redesign was 2008/09.

As we all know, the batchcode are repeated every 10 years, so your gift set is MOST LIKELY from 2003.

Nice find!
How does it smell?

Slayerized

Jul 17, 2011
The batchcode says 2013, wich isnt the case because the cursive lettering is there.

As we all know, the batchcode are repeated every 10 years, so your gift set is MOST LIKELY from 2003.

Nice find!
How does it smell?

Agree with 2003👍

adamn2020

May 29, 2018
Just ordered last night so haven’t got my hands on it yet. The pictures are from the seller, and by the looks of it, it seems to be in great shape. The seller said the bottles have never been sprayed so that is good.

Would 2003 be considered a good vintage find for CW, or do I have to go even deeper to find the true vintages?

yourthemannowdog

Jan 22, 2021
Just ordered last night so haven’t got my hands on it yet. The pictures are from the seller, and by the looks of it, it seems to be in great shape. The seller said the bottles have never been sprayed so that is good.

Would 2003 be considered a good vintage find for CW, or do I have to go even deeper to find the true vintages?
i think you would have to go deeper before 2000 on coolwater but 2003 could be alright i would have to sample it too tell you because even the pre coty bottles can be crap if its not before the reformulations .

RCavs

Sep 13, 2004

Are you sure the letters redesign happened in 2008/09? I have a NON cursive letters labeled bottle bought from strawberrynet.com, if i'm not mistaken, in 2007. I'll check my bottle's batch code when I'm at home to confirm.

RCavs

Sep 13, 2004
Found my bottle but couldn't find the year of production in both checkfresh and checkcosmetic websites :sad:
Can anyone help me?

I0YI5b.jpg

vd86

Oct 17, 2017
Its an old lancaster Batchcode, they dont work on those sites.
Ur bottle says Coty, wich can only mean your bottle is from the transition from lancaster to coty.

I would assume your bottle is from 2005-2007

Does it have the cursive font on the front?

RCavs

Sep 13, 2004
Its an old lancaster Batchcode, they dont work on those sites.
Ur bottle says Coty, wich can only mean your bottle is from the transition from lancaster to coty.

I would assume your bottle is from 2005-2007

Does it have the cursive font on the front?

That's what is puzzling me, the bottle doesn't have cursive font... So, I guess you're right: It must be a transition bottle (2005-2007).
Maybe one more case in which old bottom labels are used in redesigned bottles... And just to make things even more mixed up, the juice inside this one is pretty similar (if not equal) to a tester cursive font bottle I bought last year (the bottom label/batch code is just like adamn2020's pictures) which is supposed to be from 2003...

vd86

Oct 17, 2017
Yeah, its a transition bottle.
It still has the good juice. Not truly 90s vintage, but good enough.
I have 3 different vintages and a 2019, the 2019 is just flat and synthetic in comparison.

vd86

Oct 17, 2017
How do you compare "deep vintage" CW with the ones I own?
I tried the new CW recently and yeah, flat and synthetic... :sad:

More complex, smells like better quality and has great lasting power due to the oakmoss.
I have a pre-lancaster bottle from 88-90

adamn2020

May 29, 2018
Finally got my Giftset after FedEx had it for 9 long days! The bottles are new and unused. I wore 4 or 5 sprays today to church and I feel the top notes are fresh and the drydown is lovely. It brings me great nostalgia when I catch whiffs of it in the air. Great stuff and I’m glad to have it in my collection. 2003 Cool Water

D9539E5C-55BA-4E3F-A7C7-6AD560DC0C7D.jpg

Sheik Yerbouti

oakmoss fiend
Basenotes Plus
Jul 20, 2017
Finally got my Giftset after FedEx had it for 9 long days! The bottles are new and unused. I wore 4 or 5 sprays today to church and I feel the top notes are fresh and the drydown is lovely. It brings me great nostalgia when I catch whiffs of it in the air. Great stuff and I’m glad to have it in my collection. 2003 Cool Water

View attachment 162148

Congrats! Enjoy the true scent of Cool Water.

thrilledchilled

All Is Beautiful
Basenotes Plus
Nov 17, 2018

View attachment 162148

Congratulations. Wonderful set.

hednic

Oct 25, 2007

View attachment 162148
Very nice!

Staff online

Latest News