Vintage Cool Water?

mdclx

Nov 9, 2012
Hi,

Is this a bottle of vintage Cool Water by Davidoff?

Thanks in advance.

Cool%20Water%201_zpsjbarhb1w.jpg

Cool%20Water%202_zps5gztytmw.jpg

BRM85282

Mar 27, 2013
I have a couple of vintage bottles, and mine look just like that one. How does it smell? I think one of mine is turning, but the dry down is still pretty great.

petukchele

Nov 2, 2014
Looks like a vintage - not sure how old. See how the Davidoff is in cursive. I have couple of those and they are great! I actually prefer this vintage one to GIT.

bictor

Jul 9, 2013
spanish:
Sí. es vintage primera formulación. Pre Coty, Pre Lancaster. Con 90% escrito en la base solo en las versiones vintages. Además el codigo de lote es corto. Las reformulaciones tienen un codigo de lote bastante largo. Felicitacionnes!
Fantástico vintage, aunque siempre prefiero vintage Drakkar (cosmair)

MDCLX una pregunta: al parecer tú tienes una vieja botella de MASERATI - ITALART. Como se compara con el Drakkar??

mdclx

Nov 9, 2012
I thank you all for your help in this matter.
However I am very sad, this fragrance was announced in a portuguese site like ebay, when I contacted the seller this beauty was no longer available.
And the worst is that it was by a difference of a few minutes.
But I hope to find one of these for sale, but certainly will not be for 35 €.

Slayerized

Jul 17, 2011
90% seems a bit odd. It doesn't say Lancaster either.

+1 and this one does not have the long batch-code of which the third number is the year of production.
I own many vintage (script font only on bottle) and they all look about the same on the bottom of the bottle. Here a pic of two of mine: both from 2007, one year before they started the block font on the bottle with the reformulated juice.

attachment.php

Last edited:

mdclx

Nov 9, 2012
Hi Slayer, do you think it's fake?

+1 and this one does not have the long batch-code of which the third number is the year of production.
I own many vintage (script font only on bottle) and they all look about the same on the bottom of the bottle. Here a pic of two of mine: both from 2007, one year before the started the block font on the bottle with the reformulated juice.

attachment.php

bictor

Jul 9, 2013
Spanish:
MDCLX, estoy seguro que no es falso. La primera-primera versión no tenía Lancaster escrito en la base. Las primeras botellas Coolwater de 1988 hasta 1994-1995 solo decían PARFUMS DAVIDOFF en la base. La fotografía que usted tiene es primer vintage de CW.
MDCLX ó SLAYER... que opinión tienen de MASERATI - ITALART...ES UNA BOMBA DE MUSGO?? parecido a Drakkar noir?? parecido a Francesco Smalto??

mdclx

Nov 9, 2012
Hi bictor,

That's bad news! (La fotografía que usted tiene es primer vintage de CW)...

About Maserati by Italart I own some bottles of this fragance and it's in fact similar to vintage Drakkar Noir in some notes to Francesco Smalto too.

IMO Maserati by Italart it's the best Oakmoss scent!

If you can try also Maserati Shamal by Italart that's very good too.

Spanish:
MDCLX, estoy seguro que no es falso. La primera-primera versión no tenía Lancaster escrito en la base. Las primeras botellas Coolwater de 1988 hasta 1994-1995 solo decían PARFUMS DAVIDOFF en la base. La fotografía que usted tiene es primer vintage de CW.
MDCLX ó SLAYER... que opinión tienen de MASERATI - ITALART...ES UNA BOMBA DE MUSGO?? parecido a Drakkar noir?? parecido a Francesco Smalto??

bictor

Jul 9, 2013
Gracias...muchas gracias MDCLX. No me atrevía a comprar a ciegas el MASERATI. Fragrancia muy dificil de conseguir. Tengo la oportunidad de conseguir una botella de 100 ml. a muy buen precio!. Por supuesto voy a comprarlo. Si usted dice que es el mejor musgo de roble...entonces yo le creo totalmente
Las últimas 2 semanas me he vuelto a enamorar de Vintage Drakkar Noir..tiene fantástico musgo de roble.
Maserati Shamal no lo conozco. Lo que sí encontré fue un par de botellas de 12 JEAN COUTURIER...un helecho-chipre de la vieja escuela

Le doy las gracias.

ColdSteel

Jul 6, 2014
Strangely enough, I saw a tester at Ulta last week with the script lettering like this. It smelled great, but I knew better than to ask them to sell it.

Slayerized

Jul 17, 2011
I also think the bottle is real, just pretty old (which is a good thing most probably!)
Also (most) fakes do not have a batch-code like this underneath the bottle!

bictor

Jul 9, 2013
Slayer, estoy de acuerdo: es una botella verdadera y muy vieja (creo que principios de los 90). Tengo un par de minis muy antiguas de CW y esta primera formula es fantástica

The_Cologneist

Feb 27, 2010
Sorry to hear it is gone. I saw somebody in the forums is selling a vintage CW at a reasonable price. Not sure if he would ship to your country though, maybe if you paid the shipping prices up front first.

Slayerized

Jul 17, 2011
I still have about 300ml+ of vintage Cool Water which I gathered here and there for not more than €15 a 125ml bottle (2x testers), so I am pretty much set.
I used up a full 125ml though last 2,5 years...........lol.

Andrè Moreau

Sep 26, 2012
this is the VERY first bottle, since you can clearly read on the label "UTIF 54 Milan",
it's the italian sticker, and "UTIF" regulations ceased in 1990.
So most likely it dates back to end of 80s- beginning of 90s at latest.
Congratulations!

Slayerized

Jul 17, 2011
this is the VERY first bottle, since you can clearly read on the label "UTIF 54 Milan",
Congratulations!

Thanks, exactly what I thought!

HankHarvey

Jul 15, 2014
Vintage, likely one of the earliest batches. Be careful though. CW doesn't age well imo. If you can find a bottle that has kept it smells good in vintage formulation (slightly different from today's version), but in my experience it's a crapshoot trying to find a vintage bottle that still smells fresh. Often get a weird "wet cement" type effect in the drydown, with a sort of fetid wood note.

ToughCool

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jun 12, 2008
I have a bottle I purchased from an individual seller on ebay 2 years back with the Script lettering. It is about 99% what I remember wearing in the 90s. The 1% is due to a slight rubber/gas smell that seeps in from time to time that I definitely don't remember. That may be because it has aged.

AlanG

Mar 17, 2015
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
Congratulations!

Just received one of these myself!
I'm slightly confused as:
1. There is no batch code on the bottom of the bottle
2. The sticker on the bottom reads: Idrato ml 75 Anidro ml 67, which is clearly incorrect as this is a 125ml bottle.
3. The "eau de toilette" font is slightly different.
Comments Andre or anyone else?
Alan.

Slayerized

Jul 17, 2011
My vintage bottles are not that much ''see through'' at all like in last picture. This looks way too clear imo. (I got 3x 125ml Lancaster Demonstration bottles with way darker blue glass).
There is no batch-code to be seen and the written 75ml instead of 125ml is very suspicious to say the least; such mistakes are not made on real bottles. There are so many fake 125ml's of this on the market and I think this is one of them, I am afraid.

AlanG

Mar 17, 2015
My vintage bottles are not that much ''see through'' at all like in last picture. This looks way too clear imo. (I got 3x 125ml Lancaster Demonstration bottles with way darker blue glass).
There is no batch-code to be seen and the written 75ml instead of 125ml is very suspicious to say the least; such mistakes are not made on real bottles. There are so many fake 125ml's of this on the market and I think this is one of them, I am afraid.

Hmmmm......
Just looking at the OP's first picture, and the bottle is quite see-through as well. You can easily see the sprayer........
I haven't tried this on skin yet, just sniffing the cap.
It smells great, although my experience with CW, let alone vintage, is limited.
Alan.

Slayerized

Jul 17, 2011
Yours is way clearer than the one on the first picture (it is a complete ''see through'' being almost transparant which CW is not, especially not from a distance) which is a legit one as it has the correct 125ml on the bottom and a batch code.
Smell can deceive you as there are many fake CW like fragrances that even smell stronger than the original. In the drydown you will know but you must know how the normal drydown of vtg CW smels like of course:p.

To add: Looking again at the text on the botton to the ''Ref. 080''
On the bottle posted by the OP there is a spatial between Ref. and 080 and on yours there is not but again the mistake of calling it a 75ml says it all. Genuine bottles do not have those kind of mistakes for sure!

Last edited:

Freschi

Aug 1, 2012
My Zino davidoff reads UTIF and don't mention Lancaster and it's from the 80's. This is indeed vintage. Good point Andre

ripjean

Feb 9, 2014
I think the "I" in eau de toilette gives it away - it is far bigger than the rest of the text which you would not find on a genuine bottle.

Slayerized

Jul 17, 2011
I think the "I" in eau de toilette gives it away - it is far bigger than the rest of the text which you would not find on a genuine bottle.

What gives it away is the way too clear glass bottle and the fact they wrote 75ml on the bottom instead of 125ml but you are right that the i and the L of ''toilette'' are both wrong, lol.
The i is too ''high'' and the L too ''short''. Enough said I'd say...................get your money back Alan.

AlanG

Mar 17, 2015
I think you have a fake bottle in an original box.
Happens a lot, i have bought a "vintage" fake Fahrenheit that way.
The see-through bottle speaks for itself if you ask me.
Send it back.

Thanks MM,
I had no idea this happens (real box fake bottle).
I'm going to write the seller now and (politely) demand my money back.
Alan.
p.s. I sprayed it on my skin two hours ago and it's now completely gone.....

AlanG

Mar 17, 2015
What gives it away is the way too clear glass bottle and the fact they wrote 75ml on the bottom instead of 125ml but you are right that the i and the L of ''toilette'' are both wrong, lol.
The i is too ''high'' and the L too ''short''. Enough said I'd say...................get your money back Alan.
Going to write him right now, thanks Slayerized.
I'll keep you posted!

Bulakenyo

Sep 22, 2011
When did they stop producing splash bottle of CW?

I have a package of vintage CW splash arriving soon, (cursive font) but I'm not sure when it was produced, did not ask for the serial number.

Slayerized

Jul 17, 2011
When did they stop producing splash bottle of CW?

I have a package of vintage CW splash arriving soon, (cursive font) but I'm not sure when it was produced, did not ask for the serial number.

You are sure it is edt, no aftershave? I know there were splash edt bottles which are certainly from the early 90's!

Latest News