Vintage Bijan

allkindsofwatches1

Basenotes Dependent
Mar 8, 2016
I was just thinking about my Bijan Men cologne. I need it back in rotation next month. I love the opening. This currently sits second on the list of fragrances I'm most obsessed with behind only Ho Hang Club, and just ahead of Jules (for the moment - Jules has a way of storming back).

The dark ring pop juice, though, that opening makes me smile. I'm glad you got one. And 301 is the 75-ml spray. I just have one of those, that I'm burning through, and two splashes (302) backing it up.
Hmmm....I need to check my bottles. I haven't opened them yet.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

dandadda19

Basenotes Member
Jan 24, 2015
Just purchased the original jacamo de jacamo , with the blue lettering. Find this so similar,,jacamo Has more of the Minty barber shop note, what are your thoughts

Bavard

Wearing Perfume Right Now
Basenotes Plus
Jul 20, 2015
Interesting comparison. I wore Jacomo de Jacomo again a couple months ago.

I don't know how I got programmed this way, but Jacomo de Jacomo is just outside my style.

To me, Bijan Men adds fun to the mix. Jacomo strikes me as serious and dark, almost like it's meant to be worn to a cool, damp, dimly-lit cathedral.

Bavard

Basenotes Plus
Jul 20, 2015
My latest addition to my Bijan collection. Finally found one.
Vintage Bijan for men 2.5 eau de parfum tester

I'm wondering the "eau de parfum" indicates that this is Bijan for Women? Which I like.

dandadda19

Basenotes Member
Jan 24, 2015
I'm wondering the "eau de parfum" indicates that this is Bijan for Women? Which I like.

“Bavard” I echo your your thoughts on this , front and rear of bottle photos should tell wht we need to know , “ for men “ “ cologne “

eriqesque

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Feb 29, 2020

This is the men’s. When this reintroduced back in the late 80’s the men’s also had an EDP and Perfume.
If I Remember correctly it was exclusive to a store called Bullocks when it launched. They were a high end department store mainly in So Cal I believe. They also were one of the first to have an entire store dedicated as a men’s store.

Attachments

• DFC8332F-7EFC-4939-A41F-086FF75F3D00.jpg
    DFC8332F-7EFC-4939-A41F-086FF75F3D00.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 43

Bavard

Basenotes Plus
Jul 20, 2015
This is the men’s. When this reintroduced back in the late 80’s the men’s also had an EDP and Perfume.
If I Remember correctly it was exclusive to a store called Bullocks when it launched. They were a high end department store mainly in So Cal I believe. They also were one of the first to have an entire store dedicated as a men’s store.

Very cool. The is the first I'm hearing of a men's edp.

eriqesque

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Feb 29, 2020
Very cool. The is the first I'm hearing of a men's edp.

A little more history
When originally launched in 81 I believe exclusive to the Bijan Rodeo Dr. boutique it came in a 6 ounce signed and numbered baccarat crystal bottle priced at $3000

Attachments

• 01BFF5AA-4D61-4A60-A5E9-96A3463CEEE6.jpg
    01BFF5AA-4D61-4A60-A5E9-96A3463CEEE6.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 48

YouCanCallMeMo

Basenotes Junkie
May 12, 2009
ok, silly question...This thread has reminded me that I used to hoard the paper samples of Bijan for Women when I was a teenager (yes, it was the 80s, I am old) because they smelled so good. Have you all been discussing the Men's or Women's Bijan when dating bottles? I'm perusing eBay and see lots of "pacifier" style bottles as well as some with a rectangular top. I know that the pacifier style was the original, do your helpful notes above apply to both men's and women's versions? (address, ingredients, etc.) Wondering if it's worth picking up a wee bottle distributed by "Bijan Frangrances Beverly Hills" and stamped U8F. There are quite a few on eBay right now.

Bavard

Basenotes Plus
Jul 20, 2015
ok, silly question...This thread has reminded me that I used to hoard the paper samples of Bijan for Women when I was a teenager (yes, it was the 80s, I am old) because they smelled so good. Have you all been discussing the Men's or Women's Bijan when dating bottles? I'm perusing eBay and see lots of "pacifier" style bottles as well as some with a rectangular top. I know that the pacifier style was the original, do your helpful notes above apply to both men's and women's versions? (address, ingredients, etc.) Wondering if it's worth picking up a wee bottle distributed by "Bijan Fragrances Beverly Hills" and stamped U8F. There are quite a few on eBay right now.
The same would apply, I believe, yes, and that "Bijan Fragrances Beverly Hills" bottle should be a good one.

YouCanCallMeMo

Basenotes Junkie
May 12, 2009
Whelp, looks like I'm buying a treat!
UPDATE: wearing my eBay find today! I definitely get a hint of the Samsara likeness, as well as a bit of Chanel #5 powderiness in the background. Still quite wearable (at least for me...but my nose came of age in the 80s, so young 'uns may think differently)

Bavard

Basenotes Plus
Jul 20, 2015
UPDATE: wearing my eBay find today! I definitely get a hint of the Samsara likeness, as well as a bit of Chanel #5 powderiness in the background. Still quite wearable (at least for me...but my nose came of age in the 80s, so young 'uns may think differently)
Thank you for mentioning a connection to Samsara. It's a total Samsara tribute to my nose. And I like how it's done. I'm more likely to wear it than the vintage Samsara edt we have on hand. I've never quite bonded with Samsara.

We had a vintage Samsara edp that was screechy synthetic smelling, to me. Super strong, though.

Bonnette

Missing Oakmoss
Basenotes Plus
Jul 25, 2015
I purchased a bottle of women's EDT in the pacifier spray bottle in the late 80s, and at that time it was often compared to Chanel No. 5. Samsara was introduced a couple of years later. I can appreciate the comparisons to Samsara (above), but it doesn't seem nearly as complex to me as Bijan.

Bavard

Basenotes Plus
Jul 20, 2015
I purchased a bottle of women's EDT in the pacifier spray bottle in the late 80s, and at that time it was often compared to Chanel No. 5. Samsara was introduced a couple of years later. I can appreciate the comparisons to Samsara (above), but it doesn't seem nearly as complex to me as Bijan.
Ah, yes, I see now. I was off on the release year I had in mind for Samsara by a decade or two - it was 1989, the directory says, two years after Bijan.

Bonnette

Missing Oakmoss
Basenotes Plus
Jul 25, 2015
I particularly remember Bijan's launch, because I was a hairstylist and the salon was atwitter about all things Bijan. The house seemed to be poised for an YSL-style rise to prominence, though it was much glitzier and ostentatious. No one knew quite what to make of the perfume, due to its frenzied but beautiful composition; it was loud and full of itself, but not brassy. My bottle still smells good, albeit with short longevity.

Bavard

Basenotes Plus
Jul 20, 2015
I particularly remember Bijan's launch, because I was a hairstylist and the salon was atwitter about all things Bijan. The house seemed to be poised for an YSL-style rise to prominence, though it was much glitzier and ostentatious. No one knew quite what to make of the perfume, due to its frenzied but beautiful composition; it was loud and full of itself, but not brassy. My bottle still smells good, albeit with short longevity.
Does it sound right/familiar to you that there was a men's Bijan fragrance from 1981, but no women's fragrance until 1987?

Coming at this from now, I think the initial Bijan fragrances are confirmed as glitzy and beautiful.

Bonnette

Missing Oakmoss
Basenotes Plus
Jul 25, 2015
Does it sound right/familiar to you that there was a men's Bijan fragrance from 1981, but no women's fragrance until 1987?

Coming at this from now, I think the initial Bijan fragrances are confirmed as glitzy and beautiful.
Can't say, because I don't remember the men's version ever being discussed, not once.

eriqesque

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Feb 29, 2020
If my memory serves me correctly. The mens came out First in 81 but was only available at the Bijan boutique on Rodeo drive, which was by appointment only. Once the womens came out in 87 to the public the mens was released to the public as well.

Bonnette

Missing Oakmoss
Basenotes Plus
Jul 25, 2015
If my memory serves me correctly. The mens came out First in 81 but was only available at the Bijan boutique on Rodeo drive, which was by appointment only. Once the womens came out in 87 to the public the mens was released to the public as well.
That is ringing a bell. I remember pictures in Vogue of limos pulling up to the appointment-only boutique.

Professor Value

Basenotes Dependent
Feb 5, 2019
I learned of this fragrance just a few months ago and, after conversations with @nosey74 and @aquila_2009 about Bijan, I purchased a "donut" mini-bottle that I think is the original version. Really liked it, did some research and learned that the version distributed by XEL is supposed to be good, and I was fortunate to score two XEL "b" bottles about which I'm very pleased with their scent and performance. (Purchased the second one for just $9.99 including shipping on eBay; I'm Professor Value, so I had to mention that 😉).

IMG_20220407_081524839.jpg

IMG_20220407_081628612.jpg

thrilledchilled

All Is Beautiful
Basenotes Plus
Nov 17, 2018
I learned of this fragrance just a few months ago and, after conversations with @nosey74 and @aquila_2009 about Bijan, I purchased a "donut" mini-bottle that I think is the original version. Really liked it, did some research and learned that the version distributed by XEL is supposed to be good, and I was fortunate to score two XEL "b" bottles about which I'm very pleased with their scent and performance. (Purchased the second one for just $9.99 including shipping on eBay; I'm Professor Value, so I had to mention that 😉).

View attachment 197400

View attachment 197401
Good acquisitions, Prof!

dandadda19

Basenotes Member
Jan 24, 2015
Sorry guys, I was trying to upload the photo with the open yellow box with the original Cologne version in. Been in the UK, I’ve been waiting for this moment for a long time to find such a rare untouched perfect specimen. The box looks like it was made yesterday and the fragrance smells the same. I also purchased a gift box with a very early five star EDT, shower gel and solid deodorant. Absolutely Worlds Apart. One week after spraying Cologne and EDT on absorbent paper, the cologne still smells strong or weak later. So resinous, spicy, Woody and Rich. If you go on the Bejan website The EDT is still marketed for 200+ dollars

Bavard

Basenotes Plus
Jul 20, 2015
Congratulations on landing a cologne spray. Even the pre-Five Star edt isn't the same, in my experience (although it's easily better than the five star).

rybot

Basenotes Junkie
Nov 21, 2012
I never gave much thought to the cologne vs the edt - owning the edt by Bijan Fragrances and considering it in my top 5. I think it's time to go hunting....

"Congratulations on landing a cologne spray. Even the pre-Five Star edt isn't the same, in my experience (although it's easily better than the five star)."

Bavard, would you say that there is a truly noticeable difference between Bijan Fragrances EDT and Cologne? Worth having both, or too small of a difference to matter?

Bavard

Basenotes Plus
Jul 20, 2015
I had already put on perfume this morning, so I've resorted to spraying these on business cards to compare them.
IMG_2109.jpg
On paper this morning, the edt is equally good, just stronger.

I need more data. I'm going to layer perfumes and put some on skin (I'm working from home!).

A few seconds in, they're pretty much the same. About a minute in, I get a little more of an old-school dusty vibe from the cologne, and a few minutes later this difference is more pronounced.

I could see someone liking the edt more. But they're essentially equivalent, and no more different smelling that you might expect from a change from cologne to edt.

I have a better impression of the edt than I had before. Maybe getting a little air in the bottle helped. I think the cologne is slightly spicier, in an "Old Spice" way, but they're mostly smelling similar to each other today.

This is a brilliant perfume. I'm feeling a little more interest in the cologne than the edt as I switch between them.

Latest News

Whatever your taste in perfume, we've got you covered...

catalogue your collection, keep track of your perfume wish-list, log your daily fragrance wears, review your latest finds, seek out long-lost scented loves, keep track of the latest perfume news, find your new favourite fragrance, and discuss perfume with like-minded people from all over the world...