Vintage Bijan

PStoller

I’m not old, I’m vintage.
Basenotes Plus
Aug 1, 2019
I'm wearing my newly-acquired Beverly Hills edition (1.7 oz., ref. 326), and I'm certainly not having any performance issues. The opening is a massively "zingy" citrus/herbal blast, which settles (if you can call it that) into a sharp, freshly-sawn wood accord, though still with enough herb and citrus that it's not too dry or one-dimensional. I quite like it; the good Dr. T., not so much. So, I don't imagine I'll need a backup so much as I'll need to warn her, "back up!" when I'm wearing it. It seems less a sillage monster than a stealthy beast that waits until you get too close, and then, WHAM!

I'll bet it's a good insect repellant. I envision mosquitos lying on the ground, weeping.

rybot

Basenotes Junkie
Nov 21, 2012
I find the vintage bijan version and the short list five star versions very different, the latter being vastly inferior to my nose; lacking depth, warmth, and backbone. I have one each of a 75 and 50 ml bottle of the original so I believe that should last me. This one is in my top 5 for sure.

Bavard

Wearing Perfume Right Now
Basenotes Plus
Jul 20, 2015
I'm wearing my newly-acquired Beverly Hills edition (1.7 oz., ref. 326), and I'm certainly not having any performance issues. The opening is a massively "zingy" citrus/herbal blast, which settles (if you can call it that) into a sharp, freshly-sawn wood accord, though still with enough herb and citrus that it's not too dry or one-dimensional. I quite like it; the good Dr. T., not so much. So, I don't imagine I'll need a backup so much as I'll need to warn her, "back up!" when I'm wearing it. It seems less a sillage monster than a stealthy beast that waits until you get too close, and then, WHAM!

I'll bet it's a good insect repellant. I envision mosquitos lying on the ground, weeping.

Thank you for the smelling notes! This is definitely my fragrance of the moment. I'm only sharing a fraction of my enthusiasm.

Your comments on the potency don't sound too far off from my experience. The longevity isn't great for me, so it doesn't strike me as a strong one. My significant other has had mixed reaction, but I will be ignoring any negative feedback on this one, confident everyone will come around to it, which I think she already has.

Bavard

Basenotes Plus
Jul 20, 2015
I find the vintage bijan version and the short list five star versions very different, the latter being vastly inferior to my nose; lacking depth, warmth, and backbone. I have one each of a 75 and 50 ml bottle of the original so I believe that should last me. This one is in my top 5 for sure.

Brilliant! This is top 20 territory for me. I thought about bashing the short ingredients five star version a little more - but it's only by comparison to this cologne version that I think it has a problem. I think it is a good perfume in its own right - more mass market / generic smelling - but really good despite that.

I can't bash it too much. I got it by an eBay seller shipping mistake, and I really don't want to give it back.

I think the Five Star version does have warmth. The cologne has heat.

RoRo

Basenotes Dependent
Nov 21, 2012
I got my hands on a mini a few years back. This is strong stuff. Just dabbing a bit on one arm gives me the sense of having given the fragrance a "full wear".

MP96Cum.jpg

aNLXC8F.jpg

lYCfzyy.jpg

Bavard

Basenotes Plus
Jul 20, 2015
This is strong stuff. Just dabbing a bit on one arm gives me the sense of having given the fragrance a "full wear".

Yes, they've done a great job with the opening. It smells like something that would last a long time, but I'm reapplying twice during a day - three applications total - to get my fix. Not especially beast mode longevity for me.

RoRo

Basenotes Dependent
Nov 21, 2012
Yes, they've done a great job with the opening. It smells like something that would last a long time, but I'm reapplying twice during a day - three applications total - to get my fix. Not especially beast mode longevity for me.

With the example I have, the oakmoss hangs around for hours, but I suppose no one else can really smell it.

Bavard

Basenotes Plus
Jul 20, 2015
I have completed my Bijan Men shopping spree!

1135139F-9B4E-4B81-ACFC-8FB64F3AA748.jpg

581C13B8-4A55-4C21-9434-547ECB067AFB.jpg

21595EA8-83C7-4AEE-B94A-C0739CF40DE3.jpg

8865A484-24A8-41FE-A6DD-84E3C86C06D8.jpg

29C4AE45-CF0C-4932-A220-901E7E6B703C.jpg

I have tried all five now. The first two, the colognes, are the same, except the second one is a splash. The splash bottle is fragile. I had one break, which I decanted, and the seller sent me a second one. So I have 225 ml of the cologne, a nice haul that I'm happy with. The cologne is what I imagine connoisseurs appreciating. These have an idealized "niche" quality, to my imagination, of note separation, complexity, a natural smell, and a small-batch feel. The longevity is poor. It is a skin scent within an hour, or I and those around me are anosmic to it after an hour. As a skin scent, I still really like it, and consider it my favorite frankincense fragrance, even though I'm not positive it has any frankincense. The colognes have a hot spicy note in the top.

The Sport edt is a lot like the original cologne, just slightly neutered.

The edt's are different fragrances. They seem more mainstream and less artsy, but still really good. If one of these is a bomb, it is the fourth bottle - the pre-Five Star edt, the only smaller bottle (50 ml instead of 75 ml). I need to test the edt's (the fourth and fifth bottles) next to each other to see how they compare. The 50-ml bottle is reminding me a little of Polo.

My entire outlay was around $160. About $60 of that was for the Sport version - not necessarily a good investment, unless you're so curious that not knowing what it's like causes you distress. The Five Star bottle essentially came free with the Sport bottle, though, so $40, $40, $60, $20, $0 (plus another 75-ml of decanted cologne for $0).

Last edited:

rum

Basenotes Plus
Mar 17, 2011
I have a bottle of the current version after a fellow member sent me a sample. At this sort of price, it’s hard not to...

By the way, this is the fragrance Joey was selling whilst dressed as a cow boy in series 2 of “Friends”.

Bavard

Basenotes Plus
Jul 20, 2015
I have a bottle of the current version after a fellow member sent me a sample. At this sort of price, it’s hard not to...

By the way, this is the fragrance Joey was selling whilst dressed as a cow boy in series 2 of “Friends”.

That's right. Joey was trying to move this stuff, I had forgotten. I might try to re-watch that one. Joey as a sales associate.

Bavard

Basenotes Plus
Jul 20, 2015
You have certainly given Bijan a run for its money. How's the longevity of the EdT's? The bottle of EdT that I have has poor longevity as well.

No great shakes, as far as I can tell, but there's more of a quiet persistence. It is good stuff. The edt has an 80s sweet woods. Amazing stuff. Not a world away from the woods in Antaeus (in the base) or Egoiste, sweetened with some castoreum, maybe? Could there be nitromusks in this? Ho Hang Club is coming to mind, similar sweet woods / sweet musk. Santos is a little like this. Bijan has some frankincense or myrrh, I think, which make it different, but Santos comes to mind. I can't get enough. Big thumbs up.

I think this is simply the kind of ingredients that were circulating at that time in the companies behind the houses. It overlaps with a bunch of things. It's exactly the right style.

Bavard

Basenotes Plus
Jul 20, 2015
I think the cologne and the edt are different enough to notice.

I might not have made a link to Versace L'Homme from the edt.

I have done a little side-by-side of the edt's (distributed by Bijan vs distributed by Five Star). My first thought was based on the openings, that they smell like similar fragrances that are different from the cologne. The base of the Five Star might not be as good, but I need more testing to confirm that.

I've mostly been wearing the cologne. At the moment, I'm taking a bath in the distributed-by-Bijan edt. It's good.

Update: I'm not sure this is reproducible, but the base of the Five Star edt version is reminding me of a Twinkie.

Last edited:

Bavard

Basenotes Plus
Jul 20, 2015
I used the box clues from Bijan Men to get an early bottle of Bijan Women:

117D0143-8BB6-4D5D-87C6-FD816FC01758.jpg

The box just says Bijan but the bottle says Bijan Women.

This is a lot like Samsara to me. I like this more than the versions of Samsara I’ve tried.

This is quite different from the bottle in the ad in the first post.

I think that bottle came a little later when they were labeling things 100% Bijan, which seems unnecessary.

This box and bottle match the fourth Bijan Men box (and bottle) a few posts earlier. This was $32 with tax and shipping.

dandadda19

Basenotes Member
Jan 24, 2015
Hi guys, thank you so much for this thread. I live in the UK and managed to find a rear cologne bottle. The juice is dark brown and has cologne written on the back.It surpasses even my vintage early 1980s Paris bottles of Kouros in terms of strength and quality. I decided to try the new release and was so disappointed. Today I received a 50 mL five star with only the short ingredients on the side , It was sealed so unused and hopefully undamaged by sunlight etc . Nowhere near as rich and opulent as the dark brown juice in my old cologne bottle, but so much stronger and better than the recent five-star release. Thank you so much guys for helping me with this thread as it will help me in the very difficult job of finding this in vintage formula within the UK

Bavard

Basenotes Plus
Jul 20, 2015
Hi guys, thank you so much for this thread. I live in the UK and managed to find a rear cologne bottle. The juice is dark brown and has cologne written on the back.It surpasses even my vintage early 1980s Paris bottles of Kouros in terms of strength and quality. I decided to try the new release and was so disappointed. Today I received a 50 mL five star with only the short ingredients on the side , It was sealed so unused and hopefully undamaged by sunlight etc . Nowhere near as rich and opulent as the dark brown juice in my old cologne bottle, but so much stronger and better than the recent five-star release. Thank you so much guys for helping me with this thread as it will help me in the very difficult job of finding this in vintage formula within the UK

Good luck hunting. I'm still loving the cologne as well. The availability and pricing on eBay in the US is still good. I have all I could need, and I'm still tempted.

I'm not sure what it is that makes a Bijan Men fan a Bijan Men fan. When I first tried it, I was immediately impressed, and was surprised to learn that not everyone feels the same way. It's quite a mystery actually. Even in real life, people around don't seem to realize how good it is. It's a puzzle. I can only assume they'll come around. Nothing else makes sense to me.

I'm still seeing a bunch of these:

thrilledchilled

All Is Beautiful
Basenotes Plus
Nov 17, 2018
Good luck hunting. I'm still loving the cologne as well. The availability and pricing on eBay in the US is still good. I have all I could need, and I'm still tempted.

I'm not sure what it is that makes a Bijan Men fan a Bijan Men fan. When I first tried it, I was immediately impressed, and was surprised to learn that not everyone feels the same way. It's quite a mystery actually. Even in real life, people around don't seem to realize how good it is. It's a puzzle. I can only assume they'll come around. Nothing else makes sense to me.

I'm still seeing a bunch of these:

I completely agree with you on this under-the-radar classic. It is so good and criminally cheap compared to unicorns that cost 5 times as much on eBay.

dandadda19

Basenotes Member
Jan 24, 2015
Bavard, Are you Middlesex in England or in the USA? It’s really really difficult to get bottles of this in the UK, I’ve just found one seller in the USA but they won’t post to England

Bavard

Basenotes Plus
Jul 20, 2015
Bavard, Are you Middlesex in England or in the USA? It’s really really difficult to get bottles of this in the UK, I’ve just found one seller in the USA but they won’t post to England

I'm in the US. Shipping overseas suddenly got much harder for me recently, so I'm not surprised some eBay sellers aren't up for it.

PStoller

Basenotes Plus
Aug 1, 2019
I'm in the US. Shipping overseas suddenly got much harder for me recently, so I'm not surprised some eBay sellers aren't up for it.
Yes, that goes both ways. A generous (and anonymous) BN friend recently acted as a proxy for me for items in Europe that the seller wouldn’t ship to the US. And yet some dealers continue to ship overseas, seemingly with little difficulty.

dandadda19

Basenotes Member
Jan 24, 2015
Thank you for your reply Bavard.Shipping perfume ioutside of the UK is prohibited. If the courier or customs If the courier or customs Realise what is inside, they will destroy it. It’s a big risk to take

rum

Basenotes Plus
Mar 17, 2011
Thank you for your reply Bavard.Shipping perfume ioutside of the UK is prohibited. If the courier or customs If the courier or customs Realise what is inside, they will destroy it. It’s a big risk to take

Actually shipping perfume to the UK from overseas is OK. It's the UK that doesn't let perfume leave the UK that is the issue. This has been the case since 2013 if I remember correctly.

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Retired
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
Actually shipping perfume to the UK from overseas is OK. It's the UK that doesn't let perfume leave the UK that is the issue. This has been the case since 2013 if I remember correctly.

Why is that? If UK has issues with shipping from wouldn't they have issues shipping to? Never figured out why it's one case and not both?

hednic

Basenotes Institution
Oct 25, 2007
I recall trying this when it was first released and its popularity at that time. Unfortunately it wasn't for me.

Nattyboh74

Oct 24, 2018
Can anyone sum up what I should be after ? Looking to get one and give it a run... What should I look for on the box? Blue no.1 as the last ingredient? Something older.?

PStoller

Basenotes Plus
Aug 1, 2019
Can anyone sum up what I should be after? Looking to get one and give it a run... What should I look for on the box? Blue no.1 as the last ingredient? Something older?

Opinions will vary, but for the "full vintage experience," I think you'd be fine with anything distributed by Bijan Fragrances rather than Five Star.

Bavard

Basenotes Plus
Jul 20, 2015
Opinions will vary, but for the "full vintage experience," I think you'd be fine with anything distributed by Bijan Fragrances rather than Five Star.

I agree, I would avoid Five Star versions.

dandadda19

Basenotes Member
Jan 24, 2015
Some b Bottles are five star.Bavards Post with the photographs really helped me. , The reference number on the box not the batch code, if the reference number is in the hundreds,You struck gold,

Blitzkrieg

Oct 13, 2020
The original ALL DAY LONG.

Not all reformulations are bad, but Five Star ruined this fragrance compared to the original release.

I had the original and remember how deep and prominent the projection was.

I still have the Five Star and never wear it. It's a screechy remnant of its former self.

LiveJazz

Funky fresh
Basenotes Plus
Mar 16, 2006
Well, I missed this thread somehow!

Based on the commentary here, I've ordered a 1 oz "b" bottle that says "One Hundred % Bijan" on it (which makes it second bottling, original formula, I think...anyway, it's pre-Five Star), to match the feminine bottle I have, which Bavard mentioned.

Will report back once I have put my nose on it!

Blitzkrieg

Oct 13, 2020
Well, I missed this thread somehow!

Based on the commentary here, I've ordered a 1 oz "b" bottle that says "One Hundred % Bijan" on it (which makes it second bottling, original formula, I think...anyway, it's pre-Five Star), to match the feminine bottle I have, which Bavard mentioned.

Will report back once I have put my nose on it!

It's good juice.

It's a cacophony of spicy notes that remind me of Winter Holidays.

Blitzkrieg

Oct 13, 2020
Y'all just made me pull the trigger on one at Ebay.

Like I said earlier, I enjoy this one as a Holiday fragrance for my own weird reasons.

It must be the spices.

LiveJazz

Funky fresh
Basenotes Plus
Mar 16, 2006
Ok so I'm wearing this for the first time, about 30 min in.

This isn't a full review...but I can't get Sichuan peppercorns out of my head. They smell and taste aromatically, dryly hot, and have this "fumey" crispy sort of effect in the air.

There's been some chatter about this note/effect being present in Tom Ford Noir Anthracite, and I think that's true...but it's done to much better effect here. Loving it so far.

eriqesque

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Feb 29, 2020
Received a vintage bottle ref 301
Wow! Been years since last wore the old version. I picked up a cheap 5 star version a few months ago and it left me wanting. Now I remember why.
My god the vintage is like night and day. So much more balanced and full. The dry down wow wow wow.
Also this is branded as cologne. There is no way it’s cologne strength this vintage is nuclear. It’s the energizer bunny of fragrance.

Bavard

Basenotes Plus
Jul 20, 2015
Received a vintage bottle ref 301
Wow! Been years since last wore the old version. I picked up a cheap 5 star version a few months ago and it left me wanting. Now I remember why.
My god the vintage is like night and day. So much more balanced and full. The dry down wow wow wow.
Also this is branded as cologne. There is no way it’s cologne strength this vintage is nuclear. It’s the energizer bunny of fragrance.

I was just thinking about my Bijan Men cologne. I need it back in rotation next month. I love the opening. This currently sits second on the list of fragrances I'm most obsessed with behind only Ho Hang Club, and just ahead of Jules (for the moment - Jules has a way of storming back).

The dark ring pop juice, though, that opening makes me smile. I'm glad you got one. And 301 is the 75-ml spray. I just have one of those, that I'm burning through, and two splashes (302) backing it up.

Latest News

Whatever your taste in perfume, we've got you covered...

catalogue your collection, keep track of your perfume wish-list, log your daily fragrance wears, review your latest finds, seek out long-lost scented loves, keep track of the latest perfume news, find your new favourite fragrance, and discuss perfume with like-minded people from all over the world...