Vintage Antaeus Thread

WarmJewel

Oct 5, 2022
I see a batch code of 9124, interesting how it's separated out. No barcode which means it's from March 1982, using ROLS website.
I agree. I'd date it to March 1982. Being a tester/demonstration bottle would also fit in with that timeframe being a recently launched fragrance.

I've also seen those separated batchcodes on tester/demo bottles before as there's one on a Pour Monsieur tester I have.

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Retired
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
thank you guys!! anyway, i love it but unfortunately i can't find another bottle for backup at a decent price... the only bottle i have found is priced almost at 400€, i think it's a crazy price honestly... :/
Enjoy it in good health. There has been a spike in price for a lot of these classics unfortunately. It's getting harder to find good deals.

Bavard

Wearing Perfume Right Now
Basenotes Plus
Jul 20, 2015
Looking at old magazine ads (e.g., in the New Yorker on Google Books), they show the front of the Antaeus bottles without "Eau de Toilette" through 1983 or so.

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Retired
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
No Bud, someone I know. She had a box full of early 80's chanel perfumes...all testers that came from a warehouse. she doesn't sell on line. I'll tell you something that might make you cry...10ml Patou Pour Homme boxed as new...I paid wait for it...£8.50. I have friends in high places.
10 of those mini's is like having the full size bottle, at a sweet price.

Z_LiDs

Basenotes Junkie
Oct 6, 2021
Enjoy it in good health. There has been a spike in price for a lot of these classics unfortunately. It's getting harder to find good deals.
you are right mate! that's the why i have bought a good amount of kouros and some backup of Arrogance and Equipage, now that i can yet find them at a decent price...soon i will also try to buy some backup of egoiste and platinum, the other 2 fragrances that i love

Bavard

Wearing Perfume Right Now
Basenotes Plus
Jul 20, 2015
The Eau De Toilette was on the front of the bottle in the early eighties. I purchased my first ever bottle in 1984 and it looked like this. This is a guaranteed March 1983 bottle from France

Date range for my Antaeus? No batch code on bottle. Don't have box

Based on speedyrabbit's post (and pictures of the bottles from the early ads, e.g., from 1981), having "Eau de Toilette" on the back of a Paris spray bottle could mean it's from before March 1983.

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Retired
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
me too! but i have to admit that sometime i like to spray the perfume in my hand and "wash" mmy hands with it in order to have the hands smelling like when you use it in splash
I actually prefer a splash. It's easier to control how much you use, where you put it, and seems less wasteful. That's just my humble opinion though haha.
The problem of splashing it on is that you introduce skin particles, oil, dirt into the fragrance and that could change the composition of the fragrance overtime. I like to keep my fragrance free from outside contamination if possible.

Z_LiDs

Basenotes Junkie
Oct 6, 2021
The problem of splashing it on is that you introduce skin particles, oil, dirt into the fragrance and that could change the composition of the fragrance overtime. I like to keep my fragrance free from outside contamination if possible.
i agree with you! furthermore the splash bottle consume more liquid per application i think, and contributes in evaporationm of head notes... am i right?

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Retired
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011

Z_LiDs

Basenotes Junkie
Oct 6, 2021
Yes, No recycle symbol will give you a 1990-92 bottle. It's still going to be good.
There should be a batch code number stamped on the box but, it's probably because the wrappings make it hard to see.
the problem is that the seller is asking an absurd price, 260€... no way im gonna pay these money for a 90's bottle... maybe i could pay these for a very first batch but not for a 10 years later batch

PStoller

I’m not old, I’m vintage.
Basenotes Plus
Aug 1, 2019
Hard to tell for sure but the printed bar-code on the package means it's at least mid 1990s or after. Bar-code scanning technology in retail didn't exist before then. We were hand inputting stock numbers.
That’s not a hard line. UPC bar codes were in use in retail in the 1980s. But they became truly ubiquitous in the mid-1990s

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Retired
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
the problem is that the seller is asking an absurd price, 260€... no way im gonna pay these money for a 90's bottle... maybe i could pay these for a very first batch but not for a 10 years later batch
I would not spend more than $200 or $2/ml, then again prices have been going up steadily in the past 1-2 years.

WarmJewel

Oct 5, 2022
I would not spend more than $200 or $2/ml, then again prices have been going up steadily in the past 1-2 years.
As a general rule of thumb I don't spend more than £1 per ml for vintage fragrances. Sometimes slightly more depending on the product availability, scarcity etc. but more often significantly less.

It's worth pointing out, although I accept this may not apply everywhere in the world, you can buy a brand new shrink wrapped Chanel Antaeus EdT 100ml from the online UK Chanel store for £90, the same as Pour Monsieur. Yet I've seen some current (ie not vintage) 100ml bottles going for £150-300! Madness.

Latest News

Whatever your taste in perfume, we've got you covered...

catalogue your collection, keep track of your perfume wish-list, log your daily fragrance wears, review your latest finds, seek out long-lost scented loves, keep track of the latest perfume news, find your new favourite fragrance, and discuss perfume with like-minded people from all over the world...