Vintage Antaeus Thread

Jan1510

May 25, 2020
Glad this bottle worked out, I enjoy Antaeus quite a bit myself. To my nose the vintage smells the most similar to modern formulation in comparison to Pour Monsieur and Egoiste. It's the first time that I'm seeing this type of note listing and description on the back.
I am quite certain that Antaeus will become one of my favourates! This thread has been extremely helpful.

Jan1510

May 25, 2020
Be sure to check out Antaeus Sport, it shares a bit similarities to the original, less animalic.
The same seller has a unit or 2 of the Sport version too. It is very tempting! They are quite a bit more in price though.

My main priority at this stage is still to get some Ēgoïste Concentreè first.The Sport goes for slightly less than what the equivalent size CC bottle might cost me.

Oct 17, 2012
Great thread about the greatest Chanel fragrance for men of all time, in my opinion. Most of my semi-full 100ml bottles of the EDT are from the '90s with the metal sprayer but the 2 smaller (ceramic?) splash bottles I own are older, almost certainly from the 1980s and are divine, one which at first sniff seems to be an entirely different scent. More animalic and leathery, which is in itself a good thing but the scent is more well-rounded and longer-lasting than the version that followed.

Jan1510

May 25, 2020
Great thread about the greatest Chanel fragrance for men of all time, in my opinion. Most of my semi-full 100ml bottles of the EDT are from the '90s with the metal sprayer but the 2 smaller (ceramic?) splash bottles I own are older, almost certainly from the 1980s and are divine, one which at first sniff seems to be an entirely different scent. More animalic and leathery, which is in itself a good thing but the scent is more well-rounded and longer-lasting than the version that followed.
Thanks for your input. I am looking forward to start wearing it soon.

Oct 17, 2012
Thanks for your input. I am looking forward to start wearing it soon.
My pleasure, I hope you find a bottle soon and I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Unlike many men's fragrances from that era, Antaeus doesn't smell dated but to my nose, classical. If you're looking for vintage, which may well have been covered elsewhere in this thread (but I haven't looked), bottles / boxes with the words 'EAU DE TOILETTE' / 'SPORT COLOGNE' or 'AFTER SHAVE' above the word 'Chanel' are the ones to go for. Some may have the black and silver cap and others will have a black cap. From memory, the spray changed from a silver atomiser to a more powerful vaporisateur, also silver. anataeusedt3.4.jpg

Jan1510

May 25, 2020
My pleasure, I hope you find a bottle soon and I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Unlike many men's fragrances from that era, Antaeus doesn't smell dated but to my nose, classical. If you're looking for vintage, which may well have been covered elsewhere in this thread (but I haven't looked), bottles / boxes with the words 'EAU DE TOILETTE' / 'SPORT COLOGNE' or 'AFTER SHAVE' above the word 'Chanel' are the ones to go for. Some may have the black and silver cap and others will have a black cap. From memory, the spray changed from a silver atomiser to a more powerful vaporisateur, also silver. View attachment 191278
Yes, I first read though hundreds of comments on the vintage Ēgoïste thread when I was in the market to get some a few months ago.

The Raiders of the Lost Scent blog also helped quite a bit on how to date vintage CHANEL properly. I have found that anything older than 3 years might be listed as “vintage” on eBay. So if you don’t know how to spot the difference, you might end up overpaying for a fairly recent formulation. Amazingly MANY people (even some YT reviewers) still think that fragrances go bad after 5 years.

This thread most definitely helped me to ensure I got a deep vintage Antaeus! I will share my thoughts once I got to know this masterpiece properly. Thank you again for your time!

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Retired
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
The same seller has a unit or 2 of the Sport version too. It is very tempting! They are quite a bit more in price though.

My main priority at this stage is still to get some Ēgoïste Concentreè first.The Sport goes for slightly less than what the equivalent size CC bottle might cost me.
I agree on your assessment. To me Egoiste Cologne Concentree is a more opulent scent than Antaeus Sport, it's certainly worth the efforts getting the latter first.

Initially I was worried that the earliest bottles of Antaeus would come off too animalic but that wasn't the case. In fact I barely notice the animalic feel from it.
My pleasure, I hope you find a bottle soon and I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Unlike many men's fragrances from that era, Antaeus doesn't smell dated but to my nose, classical. If you're looking for vintage, which may well have been covered elsewhere in this thread (but I haven't looked), bottles / boxes with the words 'EAU DE TOILETTE' / 'SPORT COLOGNE' or 'AFTER SHAVE' above the word 'Chanel' are the ones to go for. Some may have the black and silver cap and others will have a black cap. From memory, the spray changed from a silver atomiser to a more powerful vaporisateur, also silver. View attachment 191278
I don't get any dated feel from it either. I feel comfortable wearing it as a work scent at the office on a regular basis.

Crodriguez130

Mar 20, 2022
Hello all, I purchased a bottle of Antaeus a while back , to my knowledge it should be an older batch but I am now having doubts on its authenticity because I lost the sticker batch label, I have no box and the word "Paris" is not printed anywhere
Could somebody help date/authenticate this product. Thank You 20220320_000118_HDR.jpg

Attachments

• 20220320_000126.jpg
    20220320_000126.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 15
  • 20220320_000140.jpg
    20220320_000140.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 15

Jan1510

May 25, 2020
My very first bottle of Antaeus arrived yesterday. I have never ever smelled Antaeus before in my life, so a complete blindbuy.

I think it might take me a few actual wears to get used to and to fully appreciate it. For me it happens a lot of times with most of the unique vintage masterpieces. Then again the smell on paper might be different to what it will smell like on my skin. When smelling the atomiser I get a similar vibe when I smell that of my `1986 bottle of Bel Ami. Is it the leather/castoreum/ labdanum note? I am still learning as I go along. It is most definitely POTENT. I will only probably wear it properly once our daytime temperatures drop a bit. So far to me it is maybe more Bel Ami than say Kouros (another favourate), of which I own 2 bottles from the 1990s (1995 & 1999) Sanofi period. Suppose time will tell.

I bought it from a fellow Basenotes member (zr0e) who I can definitely recommend and he apparently has quite few vintage Antaeus bottles left in stock.

Based on the pictures attached and batchcode stamped on the bottom (1816), of the 100 ml tester bottle, could this be from June 1984? The batchcode follows the style of the Paris bottles being 4 numbers and therefore not a New York bottle even if neither appears anywhere on it? Was wondering if it also contains the Bengal tiger sweat as noted in RC's comment in this thread from 13 January 2022? :ROFLMAO: To me, it s the single most fascinating read so far this year!

View attachment 191123 View attachment 191127 View attachment 191125 View attachment 191126
I decided to give my 1984 Antaeus a full wear today after receiving it on Monday.

After the fairly strong initial blast I got, when sprayed on paper, I assumed it would be a strong performer on my skin.

The issue is, although I do love the smell, I can barely smell it on my skin after a few minutes. Either I go immediately nose blind/ anosmic to it or do you think I should just leave it for a month or so to develop as with a lot of other vintages, when not been sprayed for decades, that I bought before? I just do not enjoy a fragrance or see the point of wearing it if I cannot smell it for my own enjoyment.

It is fairly hot and humid today though, so it could be that performance will improve once the temperatures drop a bit. Did any of you experienced something like this with vintage Antaeus?

Alex F.

Nov 29, 2019
After the fairly strong initial blast I got, when sprayed on paper, I assumed it would be a strong performer on my skin.

The issue is, although I do love the smell, I can barely smell it on my skin after a few minutes. Either I go immediately nose blind/ anosmic to it or do you think I should just leave it for a month or so to develop as with a lot of other vintages, when not been sprayed for decades, that I bought before?
I've had the same problem when I first tried one of my vintage Antaeus minis. Even though I could smell a sweetish scent, it seemed quite faint and not particularly interesting to me. My impression of its strength changed in the course of a few months. Now, almost two years later, I can smell nuances in it that I seem to have been blind to before. I still don't really like it, because it's too sweet for me, but if I dab some of it on a piece of tissue paper, I can still smell it days later. I don't think it's the juice that has to settle, but the nose that has to adjust to it.

Jan1510

May 25, 2020
I've had the same problem when I first tried one of my vintage Antaeus minis. Even though I could smell a sweetish scent, it seemed quite faint and not particularly interesting to me. My impression of its strength changed in the course of a few months. Now, almost two years later, I can smell nuances in it that I seem to have been blind to before. I still don't really like it, because it's too sweet for me, but if I dab some of it on a piece of tissue paper, I can still smell it days later. I don't think it's the juice that has to settle, but the nose that has to adjust to it.
Thank you Alex, it gives me hope as I really want to experience it fully.

It is a weird sensation as I keep on thinking that the fragrance aroma of Antaeus is available on “another frequency/ dimension” and that I just need to “tune” into it. If that makes any sense? 😂

I will revisited it again after a month or so.

Alex F.

Nov 29, 2019
It is a weird sensation as I keep on thinking that the fragrance aroma of Antaeus is available on “another frequency/ dimension” and that I just need to “tune” into it. If that makes any sense? 😂
It does sound weird, but it matches my experience. In my words, it may sound even weirder. 😁 After having started to "train" my sense of smell, it's like I was looking at the world without ever really focussing on anything before, and now that my ability to focus has improved, I'm discovering interesting and exciting new shapes. In part, it might have something to do with the receptors, but I think a lot of it is just learning to take in all kinds of odours without immediately shutting them out if they're unpleasant, and allowing yourself to dwell on them.

Jan1510

May 25, 2020
It does sound weird, but it matches my experience. In my words, it may sound even weirder. 😁 After having started to "train" my sense of smell, it's like I was looking at the world without ever really focussing on anything before, and now that my ability to focus has improved, I'm discovering interesting and exciting new shapes. In part, it might have something to do with the receptors, but I think a lot of it is just learning to take in all kinds of odours without immediately shutting them out if they're unpleasant, and allowing yourself to dwell on them.
Well hopefully I can progress to the next (hidden) levels soon then. Lots to discover still. 🤣

I bought a bottle of Gucci Envy (2000 batch) in packaging just over a year ago. Initially I could not smell a thing and the aroma was like that of wet paper. Not what I was expecting at all.

Fast forward about 3 months later I was able to smell something much nicer. I do think some of the top notes didn’t survive 20 years, but overall a big improvement. I own a few Envy bottles that I was able to compare it to.

It is a bit more tricky when I don’t have any others in my collection to use as a point of reference. I never owned or even smelled any Antaeus before this past week.

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Retired
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
Hello all, I purchased a bottle of Antaeus a while back , to my knowledge it should be an older batch but I am now having doubts on its authenticity because I lost the sticker batch label, I have no box and the word "Paris" is not printed anywhere
Could somebody help date/authenticate this product. Thank You View attachment 191905
If I had speculate this one is likely a New York bottle. EDT is below the Chanel so this would be a later bottle, late 90s or early 2000s. It would explain why there's no batch code etched on the glass bottle. Do you remember if it came with a cap?

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Retired
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
I decided to give my 1984 Antaeus a full wear today after receiving it on Monday.

The issue is, although I do love the smell, I can barely smell it on my skin after a few minutes. Either I go immediately nose blind/ anosmic to it or do you think I should just leave it for a month or so to develop as with a lot of other vintages, when not been sprayed for decades, that I bought before? I just do not enjoy a fragrance or see the point of wearing it if I cannot smell it for my own enjoyment.

It is fairly hot and humid today though, so it could be that performance will improve once the temperatures drop a bit. Did any of you experienced something like this with vintage Antaeus?
Thank you Alex, it gives me hope as I really want to experience it fully.

I will revisited it again after a month or so.
I would certainly give it some time, your nose might not be use to these scents. I remember it took me time to develop a taste for this kind of scent. Before I bought any of my 1980s bottles I worked on some small decants. It took a few wearing before things started to fall in place. Same could be said with any other similar group scents from that era.

Crodriguez130

Mar 20, 2022
If I had speculate this one is likely a New York bottle. EDT is below the Chanel so this would be a later bottle, late 90s or early 2000s. It would explain why there's no batch code etched on the glass bottle. Do you remember if it came with a cap?
Thanks for replying back ,It did not come with a cap when I got it, bought it from this older lady on offer up for $6 who I believe didn't know she was selling a jewel. The smell is great, and 2 sprays fills up a whole living room. I was just thrown off by the lack of "Paris" anywhere

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Retired
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
Thanks for replying back ,It did not come with a cap when I got it, bought it from this older lady on offer up for $6 who I believe didn't know she was selling a jewel. The smell is great, and 2 sprays fills up a whole living room. I was just thrown off by the lack of "Paris" anywhere
That's probably the best deal that I've heard for Antaeus apart from a free bottle. Glad it worked out.

classics4me

always learning--often laughing
Feb 8, 2017
Have been intrigued by Antaeus for a while now based on reviews; being a fan of the house of Chanel; and a fan of classics. Have yet to experience it. Is the vintage that much better--enough to justify the price difference? I ask as this will likely be a near future purchase. Thank you.

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Retired
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
Have been intrigued by Antaeus for a while now based on reviews; being a fan of the house of Chanel; and a fan of classics. Have yet to experience it. Is the vintage that much better--enough to justify the price difference? I ask as this will likely be a near future purchase. Thank you.
I can only speak for myself, each of my vintage Antaeus bottle purchases have not disappointed me. It's the real deal. It's worth shelling out the few extra dollars to get the full bodied experience. One bottle became four bottles and two flanker bottles.

Bavard

Wearing Perfume Right Now
Basenotes Plus
Jul 20, 2015
The current version of Antaeus is a nice perfume. At meetups, when people try Antaeus, they like it. It gets more positive comments than anything I can think of.

RC.

Apr 28, 2013
My very first bottle of Antaeus arrived yesterday. I have never ever smelled Antaeus before in my life, so a complete blindbuy... Based on the pictures attached and batchcode stamped on the bottom (1816), of the 100 ml tester bottle, could this be from June 1984? The batchcode follows the style of the Paris bottles being 4 numbers and therefore not a New York bottle even if neither appears anywhere on it? Was wondering if it also contains the Bengal tiger sweat as noted in RC's comment in this thread from 13 January 2022?...

Mate, New York Dark is the only version to my knowledge that contains any Bengal Tiger sweat. PM me if you want the GCMS analysis.

Jan1510

May 25, 2020
My SOTD is my 2nd bottle of vintage Antaeus, this time sourced from @Mudassir, and received on 6 April. In the absence of a batchcode on the bottle, it is difficult to get to an exact date of manufacture. My feeling is that it is also from the early to mid 1980s due to EdT written on the back of the bottle instead of the usual front.

The words "contenido neto" on the front indicates that it was probably released in one of the Spanish speaking markets.

At this stage, it is more potent to my nose than the 1984 bottle.

Antaeus 1.jpg Antaeus 2.jpg Antaeus 3.jpg Antaeus 4.jpg

Last edited:

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Retired
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
My SOTD is my 2nd bottle of vintage Antaeus, this time sourced from @Mudassir, and received on 6 April. In the absence of a batchcode on the bottle, it is difficult to get to an exact date of manufacture. My feeling is that it is also from the early to mid 1980s due to EdT written on the back of the bottle instead of the usual front.

The words "contenido neto" on the front indicates that it was probably released in one of the Spanish speaking markets.

At this stage, it is more potent to my nose than the 1984 bottle.

View attachment 204737 View attachment 204738 View attachment 204739 View attachment 204740
I don't think I've ever seen a bottle with contenido neto, definitely learned something new here. 80s would be a good estimate.

Jan1510

May 25, 2020
I don't think I've ever seen a bottle with contenido neto, definitely learned something new here. 80s would be a good estimate.
From what I can tell, from searching all over, it would probably not be later than mid 1980s as at around that time the words "EdT" were moved to the front above CHANEL? I am learning as I go along.

Last edited:

Latest News