Vintage Antaeus Thread

DarkMagician

Jan 8, 2014
So...here are my bottles!
Not that many but man, they tell unforgivable stories...

200ml splash with ~80ml remaining
& 100ml spray with ~98ml left;

I think the 200ml to be from late 80s early 90s and the 100ml spray from early 80s? Please enlighten me if I am wrong.

Splash is waaay smoother, mannered, sitting there and watching directly into your eyes while the spray simply growls. Not like a rabid one but just to be heard and mark its presence!

Introverted and extroverted on short, if you will.

View attachment 125311 View attachment 125308 View attachment 125309 View attachment 125310

Again sorry for pictures that are sideways. Uploaded from mobile.

P.S: Some time ago I found an 400ml bottle at a local seller. With maybe arround 50ml inside. But I tested and the smell was waaay off, sadly!

Do you have a box with the 100ml spray tester bottle? If so, is there any information on it, e.g. barcode, green dot symbol ?

DonBos

Jul 21, 2016
Looks awesome, RC.

Here are some more pics of the New York-made splash with the darker, more-floral juice you like:

View attachment 143727

View attachment 143728

View attachment 143729

Just grabbed a bottle that looks identical to this, but the box is slightly different. It doesn’t have Paris/New York underneath Chanel. But the front/back of the bottle is identical. The box also looks to be a brighter red. Any idea of what era this is from?

Bavard

Wearing Perfume Right Now
Basenotes Plus
Jul 20, 2015
Just grabbed a bottle that looks identical to this, but the box is slightly different. It doesn’t have Paris/New York underneath Chanel. But the front/back of the bottle is identical. The box also looks to be a brighter red. Any idea of what era this is from?

It sounds nice. I would guess it's from the 80s, even the early 80s. I'm guessing based on the release of Antaeus Sport in 1985 that the regular Antaeus packaging might have changed around that time, and this splash style with Eau de Toilette on the back is before that. So my guess is 1981 to 1985.

DonBos

Jul 21, 2016
It sounds nice. I would guess it's from the 80s, even the early 80s. I'm guessing based on the release of Antaeus Sport in 1985 that the regular Antaeus packaging might have changed around that time, and this splash style with Eau de Toilette on the back is before that. So my guess is 1981 to 1985.

Thank you so much for your response, after reading this thread I really appreciate all of the information that you've provided! I was a little upset after smelling the current formulation at a local boutique, so I'm happy to acquire a potentially ancient bottle!

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Retired
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
Thank you so much for your response, after reading this thread I really appreciate all of the information that you've provided! I was a little upset after smelling the current formulation at a local boutique, so I'm happy to acquire a potentially ancient bottle!

I take it there was no kind of batch code on the box. I too have a bottle with a box that is similar. Ironically my Antaeus Sport bottle has the same similar bottle and box formatting. That being said I would generically date it mid 1980s if not earlier. 1980s bottle are the best bottles to own, I don't care for the current formulations for Antaeus or the other Chanel classics.

relus

Basenotes Junkie
Mar 21, 2019
20210313_170938.jpg heres mine, its an earlier version if im correct, no box. I have another one withbox, also vintage, will post it later. Both smell incredible...anteus is such an awesome scent...

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Retired
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
View attachment 148507 heres mine, its an earlier version if im correct, no box. I have another one withbox, also vintage, will post it later. Both smell incredible...anteus is such an awesome scent...

You're probably looking at something from the mid-late 80s to early 90s, that's generally when the 100ml - 80% vol were printed on the bottles. Do you decant your juice into a separate decanter/glass atomizer for application?

RC.

Apr 28, 2013
View attachment 148507 heres mine, its an earlier version if im correct, no box. I have another one withbox, also vintage, will post it later. Both smell incredible...anteus is such an awesome scent...

This is the same spec Antaeus that I have. After a fair amount of research, I'm still unsure of when exactly it's from. Good stuff, though. Enjoy it.

motorcade

Basenotes Dependent
Dec 21, 2020
In the current Antaeus, I only get a fleeting and occasional castoreum note. I'd love it if there was more of that growl, as the (too pleasant) florals seem to overwhelm it before the scent progresses to the base. How does the vintage compare in this regard?

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Retired
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
In the current Antaeus, I only get a fleeting and occasional castoreum note. I'd love it if there was more of that growl, as the (too pleasant) florals seem to overwhelm it before the scent progresses to the base. How does the vintage compare in this regard?

With the current formulation there's no authentic castoreum, if you smelled something like castoreum it's more of a synthetic representation of it if anything. To my nose Antaeus was tweaked to be modern smelling despite being a classic scent. Much of the magic that is seen in bottles from the 1980s has been lost in the recent bottles, I don't care for the current formulation nor do I ever reach for it.

Better to wait patiently for a good deal on an earlier bottle, preferably the from the 1980s or 90s then settle for what's currently available.

motorcade

Basenotes Dependent
Dec 21, 2020
With the current formulation there's no authentic castoreum, if you smelled something like castoreum it's more of a synthetic representation of it if anything. To my nose Antaeus was tweaked to be modern smelling despite being a classic scent. Much of the magic that is seen in bottles from the 1980s has been lost in the recent bottles, I don't care for the current formulation nor do I ever reach for it.

Better to wait patiently for a good deal on an earlier bottle, preferably the from the 1980s or 90s then settle for what's currently available.

Yeah, despite having no experience with the vintage, it's easy too see/smell what you mean by current Antaeus being "tweaked to be modern". The castoreum indeed is just an approximation of it.

relus

Basenotes Junkie
Mar 21, 2019
Thanks for the feedback guys, so much knowledge on basenotes..awesome! Youre right, batch code is bit difficult to read, its four digits i see, 3770 or 9770, the first number is hard to read. Besides that, is utif always pre 90s?

AlphaFrank75

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jul 5, 2017
Thanks for the feedback guys, so much knowledge on basenotes..awesome! Youre right, batch code is bit difficult to read, its four digits i see, 3770 or 9770, the first number is hard to read. Besides that, is utif always pre 90s?

AFAIK, yes. Here's a blurb from another post.

“ Since it bears the UTIF marking it precedes 1990. UTIF was the Italian taxation department for products containing alcohol, which were produced or distributed in Italy. In 1990 the marking changed from UTIF to UTF (Ufficio Tecnico Finanza). So your bottle was made in France for the Italian market, and possibly for some other countries lying east of Italy like Greece and Cyprus”

relus

Basenotes Junkie
Mar 21, 2019
Good looking out! I will buy this bottle i think, , its 45 euro for a 50 ml...altough its an aftershave, wich i already have besides an edt, vintage anteaus is a scent wich is lovely..the aftershave in vintage form is still strong enough to enjoy fully imo.

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Retired
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011

“ Since it bears the UTIF marking it precedes 1990. UTIF was the Italian taxation department for products containing alcohol, which were produced or distributed in Italy. In 1990 the marking changed from UTIF to UTF (Ufficio Tecnico Finanza). So your bottle was made in France for the Italian market, and possibly for some other countries lying east of Italy like Greece and Cyprus”
Interesting I didn't know that. I always thought barcodes would be generically 1990 or later. If its 3770 then it would be January 1986.

PStoller

I’m not old, I’m vintage.
Basenotes Plus
Aug 1, 2019
I always thought barcodes would be generically 1990 or later. If its 3770 then it would be January 1986.
Commercial use of bar codes dates to the mid-1970s, with widespread adoption in the 1980s. I don’t know when cosmetics companies started using them, but by 1986, it isn’t surprising on Antaeus.

relus

Basenotes Junkie
Mar 21, 2019
I have another question; are vintage ( 80s) anteus after shave with a sprayer ( vaporizer) rare? Mostly you see them as a splash. I saw one on the internet, but triple the price from an splash version.

PStoller

I’m not old, I’m vintage.
Basenotes Plus
Aug 1, 2019
I have another question; are vintage ( 80s) anteus after shave with a sprayer ( vaporizer) rare? Mostly you see them as a splash. I saw one on the internet, but triple the price from an splash version.
In general, vintage sprays fetch a premium because 1) lots of people prefer sprays, and 2) they’re harder to adulterate, so buyers trust them more. I don’t think they’re much rarer or more collectible.

relus

Basenotes Junkie
Mar 21, 2019
In general, vintage sprays fetch a premium because 1) lots of people prefer sprays, and 2) they’re harder to adulterate, so buyers trust them more. I don’t think they’re much rarer or more collectible.

Thanks! Yup, that makes sense...

relus

Basenotes Junkie
Mar 21, 2019
I read the topics regarding antaeus, but is early 2000s still something you would buy, or is 80s, and 90s always the editions to go by? ( in general i always think vintage has the original dna), how would you guys consider this towards antaeus? Just curieus.

AlphaFrank75

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jul 5, 2017
I read the topics regarding antaeus, but is early 2000s still something you would buy, or is 80s, and 90s always the editions to go by? ( in general i always think vintage has the original dna), how would you guys consider this towards antaeus? Just curieus.

My nose is not as nuanced as some of the veteran Antaeus lovers so you have to take my opinion for what it's worth. I have a bottle from 2011 that I'm perfectly happy with. I'd say pick the price point you need to be in and then find the oldest bottle that fits within that budget.

motorcade

Basenotes Dependent
Dec 21, 2020

I've seen Red for Men boxes with UTIF written on it. Red for Men was launched only in 1991. Of course, the boxes could have been designed already in 1990 but anyway, this makes me think UTIF signifies pre-1991 rather than pre-1990.

AlphaFrank75

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jul 5, 2017
I've seen Red for Men boxes with UTIF written on it. Red for Men was launched only in 1991. Of course, the boxes could have been designed already in 1990 but anyway, this makes me think UTIF signifies pre-1991 rather than pre-1990.
I read a piece on Raiders that also said that UTIF was used until the end of 1990 or pre-1991 as you said. I also think you're correct that there were plenty of UTIF coded boxes and were used until the supply ran out and who know how long that took.

relus

Basenotes Junkie
Mar 21, 2019
this is a 100 ml edt with half of the juice still in it...no box, batchnr is 3605. The smell is heavy and creamy.

Latest News