Vintage Antaeus Thread

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Retired
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
Here's my little Antaeus collection. The bottle on the left is from 2011, the middle is a Paris/NY with no barcode and the right one is a first issue release. The paper included with the Paris/NY lists all the various Antaeus products, splash, edt, etc. It also notes that the splash is suppose to the the strongest in scent.

View attachment 125405

Nicely displayed, hope you continued to acquire additional backups of this classic specifically the original formulation from the 80s.

Excluding Antaeus Sport, EDT was the only concentration for Antaeus. It is possible though that New York/Paris and Paris Only bottles may differ in potency as I know this was the case for Egoiste in addition to smelling slightly different.

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Retired
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
Yeah, I agree. The wording in the first sentence makes it seem like it's describing the splash, but in the end it's describing EDT. Now my question is there a Chanel refillable Antaeus spray bottle out there somewhere?

Nope there's no refillable spray bottle for Antaeus. You should decant the Antaeus splash into a glass decant atomizer. Do NOT splash the juice directly from the bottle as it will lead to contamination by skin particles, oils, and dirt.

Bavard

Wearing Perfume Right Now
Basenotes Plus
Jul 20, 2015
Antaeus has always come in after shave. Vintage after shaves are mighty fine. Better than modern edts, often, for my tastes, but not as good as vintage edts - very close in some cases (Derby, Bel Ami). I've had one sample of vintage Antaeus after shave, and I thought it was on the light side compared to the edt - I didn't love the Antaeus after shave like I love the Derby and Bel Ami after shaves.

wampa

Oct 14, 2011
Yeah, I agree. The wording in the first sentence makes it seem like it's describing the splash, but in the end it's describing EDT. Now my question is there a Chanel refillable Antaeus spray bottle out there somewhere?

It looks like some of the older vintage bottles have a removable atomizer as seen as in this thread.

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/475814-Vintage-Antaeus-(tester)-Oddest-bottle-Ive-seen-yet

kUUFc4i.jpg

E0GXBHB.jpg

AlphaFrank75

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jul 5, 2017
There's the text concerning a refillable atomizer:

EAU DE TOILET ATOMIZER
Top-strength ANTAEUS in natural refillable spray spritzes on any time, anywhere to refresh and rescent.

My interpretation of the above makes me think Chanel had an Antaeus travel atomizer at one time. I sure wouldn't think men would carry the bottle shown in the above post in a pants pocket or even an inside suit pocket. But with the spritz on any time it indicates to me a there was a carry sprayer of some sort to be kept on-hand.

I wonder if the removable spray bottle was a modification of the splash bottle used in early production. Kind of like a quick fix until the tooling for a permanent fixed sprayer was put in to production.

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Retired
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
There's the text concerning a refillable atomizer:

EAU DE TOILET ATOMIZER
Top-strength ANTAEUS in natural refillable spray spritzes on any time, anywhere to refresh and rescent.

My interpretation of the above makes me think Chanel had an Antaeus travel atomizer at one time. I sure wouldn't think men would carry the bottle shown in the above post in a pants pocket or even an inside suit pocket. But with the spritz on any time it indicates to me a there was a carry sprayer of some sort to be kept on-hand.

I wonder if the removable spray bottle was a modification of the splash bottle used in early production. Kind of like a quick fix until the tooling for a permanent fixed sprayer was put in to production.

One advantage that I see with this bottles is being able to decant other Antaeus splash bottles. For the longest time I didn't think it was possible to remove the atomizers without force.

Cevenol

Basenotes Dependent
Dec 22, 2015
Wondering if any of you fellas could help me date a bottle. Shortlist, barcode, green dot spray which according to Raiders is 90 to 04, eau de toilette is at the front bottom.
The code is 5102, which according to Andre still would be either 95 or 03. From what I get from you Bavard is that Eau de Toilette at the very bottom suggests 04 if it were 95 it would be above Chanel yes?
Any help much welcomed :)

Bavard

Basenotes Plus
Jul 20, 2015
Wondering if any of you fellas could help me date a bottle. Shortlist, barcode, green dot spray which according to Raiders is 90 to 04, eau de toilette is at the front bottom.
The code is 5102, which according to Andre still would be either 95 or 03. From what I get from you Bavard is that Eau de Toilette at the very bottom suggests 04 if it were 95 it would be above Chanel yes?

I think so. I can't remember exactly how I convinced myself, and I think nothing is all that black and white (it might have changed earlier for some fragrances than others, for example), but I think the change was around 1997-1998 (i.e., moving "Eau de Toilette" to the bottom of the bottle).

Cevenol

Basenotes Dependent
Dec 22, 2015
I think so. I can't remember exactly how I convinced myself, and I think nothing is all that black and white (it might have changed earlier for some fragrances than others, for example), but I think the change was around 1997-1998 (i.e., moving "Eau de Toilette" to the bottom of the bottle).

Thank you B, I only have Antaeus a couple times at counters, snapped this sealed bottle for 60 USD so a decent deal, looking forward to trying it tonight!

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Retired
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011

If the EDT is below the Paris then it's going to be 2004.

Slayerized

Basenotes Dependent
Jul 17, 2011

Agree with the above; 2004 for sure!

Cevenol

Basenotes Dependent
Dec 22, 2015
So I was testing it last night, 3 good sprays on the wrists and it was pretty thin and weak, so I went full hog and sprayed another 5 all over, still not much of a feel for the scent, after an hour a very quiet skin scent, wondered if I was anosmic and asked my daughter for her opinion and she could barely smell it either. Nothing like I was expecting or vaguely remember from trying it a few years ago. The bottle is legit, the juice doesn't smell off, if underwhelming. I think the culprit could be those Chanel refo's from the early 00's Zealot was talking about, could explain the 14 sprays someone else was saying because I could have done that many and not be remotely gassed out. Surely this was not the Antaeus. I will check the current asap because I'm quite perplexed lol Also returning that bottle I have zero use for it.

Slayerized

Basenotes Dependent
Jul 17, 2011
So I was testing it last night, 3 good sprays on the wrists and it was pretty thin and weak, so I went full hog and sprayed another 5 all over, still not much of a feel for the scent, after an hour a very quiet skin scent, wondered if I was anosmic and asked my daughter for her opinion and she could barely smell it either. Nothing like I was expecting or vaguely remember from trying it a few years ago. The bottle is legit, the juice doesn't smell off, if underwhelming. I think the culprit could be those Chanel refo's from the early 00's Zealot was talking about, could explain the 14 sprays someone else was saying because I could have done that many and not be remotely gassed out. Surely this was not the Antaeus. I will check the current asap because I'm quite perplexed lol Also returning that bottle I have zero use for it.

That is very bad to hear.........I own one bottle of that era (2005) which performs pretty well (8hrs) but regarding the smell/development it is very different compared to the 80's stuff but also to the black sprayer stuff as of 2016, especially post 2020 versions, which are imo again! different (more woody incense) and less of the 'Antaeus smell', so to speak!

Cevenol

Basenotes Dependent
Dec 22, 2015
That is very bad to hear.........I own one bottle of that era (2005) which performs pretty well (8hrs) but regarding the smell/development it is very different compared to the 80's stuff but also to the black sprayer stuff as of 2016, especially post 2020 versions, which are imo again! different (more woody incense) and less of the 'Antaeus smell', so to speak!

I don't know, I would like to think I might not be an Antaeus guy but there was nothing subjective about this weak juice and quite character less, very (very) removed from an 80's power house or even just about anything in my collection really. Vaguely conjured a very weak Ho Hang Club

sproaty

Feb 23, 2017

I agree with this. I've owned:
- "current" Antaeus (2016/7, I think. black sprayer, top of the lid is all black)
- 2x mid 2000 bottles. I've bought one recently (I didn't realise I'd bought an older one), had sold another. These have large silver sprayer and all black caps)
- vintage 80s bottle which I posted a picture of before. Large silver sprayer and a silver 'CC' plated cap

The mid 2000s smell different. Powdery, not as animalic, leather's less pronounced. It's weird, feels flat. Neither cap fitted the bottle snugly. I was concerned over a fake but it lasts 10+ hours and does smell like Antaeus somewhat, just not fully.

Deep vintage absolutely ruins it and I recall the latest bottle being much more potent, rich and deeper smelling.

I've also had 3-4 vintage splashes which I sold all just because I wasn't using them. Regretting it now - all smelled great, juice colour was very dark with great lasting power.

thrilledchilled

All Is Beautiful
Basenotes Plus
Nov 17, 2018
I agree with this. I've owned:
- "current" Antaeus (2016/7, I think. black sprayer, top of the lid is all black)
- 2x mid 2000 bottles. I've bought one recently (I didn't realise I'd bought an older one), had sold another. These have large silver sprayer and all black caps)
- vintage 80s bottle which I posted a picture of before. Large silver sprayer and a silver 'CC' plated cap

The mid 2000s smell different. Powdery, not as animalic, leather's less pronounced. It's weird, feels flat. Neither cap fitted the bottle snugly. I was concerned over a fake but it lasts 10+ hours and does smell like Antaeus somewhat, just not fully.

Deep vintage absolutely ruins it and I recall the latest bottle being much more potent, rich and deeper smelling.

I've also had 3-4 vintage splashes which I sold all just because I wasn't using them. Regretting it now - all smelled great, juice colour was very dark with great lasting power.

Deep vintage is just so much richer and has deeper leather and the buried rose more dimensionalized.

Maistroyoda

Jul 1, 2020
1ED63685-5E81-481F-B30C-18DAA133F986.jpg

I just got an EDT spray and after shave splash. I blind bought because of the mostly great reviews here. I’m NOT a fragrance expert like a lot of you guys, so please keep that in mind. My initial spray smells very strong, very Old Spice. The dry down really smooths out and is way nicer smelling. I don’t know if what I have is legit as I had never smelled this before. I must admit that when I first sprayed it, I thought the person I bought it from surely replaced the juice with Old Spice. Am I way off here? Do you think my bottles look correct? I got both without the boxes.

Bavard

Basenotes Plus
Jul 20, 2015
They look good. Old Spice is a good thing.

Bavard

Basenotes Plus
Jul 20, 2015
I’m just guessing, but maybe 2000ish. I’m more confident that it’s good. Lots of silver is a good sign.

Antaeus isn’t really like Old Spice, unless it is a special batch of Old Spice, but Old Spice is in the mix of good vintage fragrances, under a big umbrella with Antaeus. Old Spice is good stuff, I think. My personal most worn, if we’re counting deodorant.

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Retired
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
View attachment 134757

I just got an EDT spray and after shave splash. I blind bought because of the mostly great reviews here. I’m NOT a fragrance expert like a lot of you guys, so please keep that in mind. My initial spray smells very strong, very Old Spice. The dry down really smooths out and is way nicer smelling. I don’t know if what I have is legit as I had never smelled this before. I must admit that when I first sprayed it, I thought the person I bought it from surely replaced the juice with Old Spice. Am I way off here? Do you think my bottles look correct? I got both without the boxes.

Is there a batch code on your bottle? Generically the earliest the bottle would be is late 1990s but could be late as 2000s. It's a Paris only bottle which means there should be a four digit code.

Raiders of the Lost Scent is a great site to identifying year and month of Paris only bottles.
http://raidersofthelostscent.blogspot.com/2014/01/how-to-recognize-chanel-perfumes.html

Bavard

Basenotes Plus
Jul 20, 2015
I don’t see any 4 digit code on the edt. The after shave does have a 2161 on the rear lower.

When there's no batch code to verify the year, then you just don't have to worry about it.

Slayerized

Basenotes Dependent
Jul 17, 2011
View attachment 134757

Drydown of this vintage Antaeus bottle is all about beeswax-honey mixed with woods, leather and moss.
Old Spice (vtg) is more about cinnamon, carnation and nutmeg and also its other notes have almost nothing in common with Antaeus.

RC.

Apr 28, 2013
I got this Paris only splash today from a fellow BN'er.

Screen Shot 2020-11-21 at 9.03.05 PM.jpg

That New York dark juice is still my favorite, but this is nice stuff.

Bavard

Basenotes Plus
Jul 20, 2015
I got this Paris only splash today from a fellow BN'er.

View attachment 139974

That New York dark juice is still my favorite, but this is nice stuff.

Looks awesome, RC.

Here are some more pics of the New York-made splash with the darker, more-floral juice you like:

IMG_2282.jpg

IMG_2287.jpg

IMG_2290.jpg

Last edited:

Dimitrios

Basenotes Dependent
May 7, 2007
hello guys ..
Im ready to pull the trigger on my first bottle of Antaeus !
true , i have used up many mini's ....
Any help on the following bottle ?
Its made in France .

antaeus.JPG

Attachments

• antaeus.JPG
    antaeus.JPG
    17 KB · Views: 145

Bavard

Basenotes Plus
Jul 20, 2015
Vintage sprays are also silver on top of the cap.

DarkMagician

Jan 8, 2014
The batch of spray one is 2308 and no symbols, barcode or anything like this.
It is a tester bottle.

I ordered the same 100ml spray tester bottle with the same w1x 3da sequence on the back. So when it arrives I'll check for the batchcode. Curious to know which year it's from. According to Raiders of the lost scent it is from november 1984 or september 1993. Mine does not come with box, so I can't check for symbols etc. (I doubt there is any information on tester boxes).

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Retired
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
I ordered the same 100ml spray tester bottle with the same w1x 3da sequence on the back. So when it arrives I'll check for the batchcode. Curious to know which year it's from. According to Raiders of the lost scent it is from november 1984 or september 1993. Mine does not come with box, so I can't check for symbols etc. (I doubt there is any information on tester boxes).

You got yourself a London bottle. See these L'Egoiste bottles on ebay - w1x 3da is on the back of the boxes.

Latest News