Vetiver Wednesdays Sync: an invitation to a magical journey

IsoESuperman

People of Zee Wurl, Relax
Basenotes Plus
Dec 30, 2015
Late to post but I was very vetivered on Wed.

Started out with DSH Vetyver from a sample, then Hendley Hewn which is really more of a woody/orris deal but has a ruh khus/vetiver facet, and some Givenchy Vetyver in the evening.

I have decants of both the modern version and of the vintage Eau de Givenchy Vetyver, from a flask style bottle like one Gentleman came in. I'm impressed both by how close they are and by how unusually modern smelling the vintage one is. Or perhaps best to say it smells timeless. I had smelled the modern version well before the vintage and I assumed they had reformed it for modern tastes because it smelled the opposite of "old school".

I was shocked when I smelled the vintage, nearly identical except for a bit of that classic mens vintage vibe in the top (whatever that vibe is composed of - musks, moss, whatever). I thought it would smell more like the vintage Carven vetiver - musty, brown, and not at all in line with what I enjoy. The Givenchy is really nice.

naylor

Basenotes Institution
Oct 24, 2011
This past Wed was Fumidus for me.

375x500.6969.jpg

IsoESuperman

Basenotes Plus
Dec 30, 2015
I feel like I need to tip toe in here and post then scoot quickly back out because I did wear a fragrance with a noticeable vetiver note but it was still only a supporting note....

I wore Narciso EDP by Narciso Rodriguez and I can usually smell a bit of vetiver in this scent mainly in the drydown. It was humid yesterday and it caused the vetiver note to amp up quite a lot this wearing. The humidity increased the sillage as well but the longevity was less overall.
CuddleCat I only just saw this but I'm intrigued. I just got my wife Narciso (the white cube) for xmas and she's been wearing it a lot. I love it. In the passing whiffs it smells mainly musky/floral but certainly woody to an extent. I'll have to steal a spray and see if I can find some vetiver in there.

Vetiver seems like a material that, even when not listed in the notes, is probably used in formulas more than we might imagine, supporting or otherwise.

ClockworkAlice

Cakesniffer
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019
Happy Vetiver Wednesday! Today I'm wearing two vetiver-y samples, each on different arm:

Ô de Lancôme by Lancôme - it's citrusy, it's green, it's refreshing, it's an oldschool chypre, but zestier, brighter and lighter on the moss than any I have tried, so I quite enjoy it. A liiiiitle bit of vetiver can be felt, too.

Nuit de Megève by Eight & Bob - I am impressed! To my nose it is a vetiver scent mainly, so very fitting for today! But the iris and coffee are very prominent, too, and I really love how iris softens the coffee and makes it almost milky/creamy in texture while not making it neither lactonic nor sweet (do I talk nonsense here? what I mean is that I really like how coffee and iris go together, it feels so smooth), and vetiver grounds and calms everything. The scent is very polite, it doesn't feel heavy. Beautiful. I might want a bottle of it someday.

Andy the frenchy

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 16, 2018
Today sounded a great day to pay a tribute to that honest and respectable house, by wearing one of its great fragrance:

Vetiver Geranium by Creed
A very nice geranium fragrance (more than vetiver, let's talk truth) that wears light but distinguished. Perfect for formal business offices.
I would have gladly credited the perfumer, but this time... it is unauthored. Or at least... undisclosed. For the full story, follow this LINK ;)

26141624-8075.jpg

Redneck Perfumisto

League of Cycloöctadiene Isomer Aestheticists
Basenotes Plus
Feb 27, 2008
Looks like we we're going to be twins today
375x500.10632.jpg

I don't remember who it was, but I was waffling on which bottle to get in the Las Vegas Dior boutique, and my fellow BNer suggested that Vetiver was going to be disco, so if undecided, best to go with it - I could always get the other later.

Sound advice that I've been thankful for ever since!

Cook.bot

Flâneuse
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
Reporting for Vetiver Sync duty in Encre Noir a L'Extreme.

I just love this stuff. I even love its militaristic inkwell bottle and its label-maker typeface. I do still think it's a bit too masculine for me, like I might get side-eyes if I wear it out in public. But without any judgey noses around, it's just heaven.

EncreNoirALExtreme.jpg

ClockworkAlice

Cakesniffer
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019

I just love this stuff. I even love its militaristic inkwell bottle and its label-maker typeface. I do still think it's a bit too masculine for me, like I might get side-eyes if I wear it out in public. But without any judgey noses around, it's just heaven.

View attachment 181787
I must agree with you!
I really, really enjoyed it when I tried it. The regular Encre Noire felt a bit too inky and a bit too masculine for me to wear, but this one was a gorgeous incensy vetiver scent. I would buy a bottle for me to use, too, and I think I probably will eventually.

IsoESuperman

Basenotes Plus
Dec 30, 2015
Dior Vetiver! Possibly my favorite "straight vetiver" fragrance.
I'm with you there!

I took the photo below last May, I think for a Friday Sync (can't remember theme) and because I know you like the Dior and are the master haiku reviewer, I came up with something. I don't have the math brain for haiku but it is a @Redneck Perfumisto inspired poem (?) nonetheless :)

Privée school kids stand awkwardly
Waiting for the bus
Overburdened by expectation and hyphens
On lily-of-the-valley cul-de-sac

IMG_0287.jpg

justfoxie

You smell nice
Basenotes Plus
Oct 23, 2018
I must agree with you!
I really, really enjoyed it when I tried it. The regular Encre Noire felt a bit too inky and a bit too masculine for me to wear, but this one was a gorgeous incensy vetiver scent. I would buy a bottle for me to use, too, and I think I probably will eventually.

View attachment 181787

Ok so super intrigued by the description I've just added this to my test list ... and have just found 100ml for £27.50?! Am super tempted but I need another 100ml bottle like I need a hole in the head. Why are these always in giant bottles?!

F it, I bought the bottle will try and probably add it to my swap list. If anyone is interested in a decant of this, let me know!

Toxicon

Basenotes Junkie
May 29, 2021

View attachment 181787
Wore this over the weekend and fell in love with it all over again. And agreed on the bottle - this is the best looking of the EN line by a mile.

Toxicon

Basenotes Junkie
May 29, 2021
Checking in for duty with Terre d'Hermes Eau Intense Vetiver. I wore my 2006 bottle of regular TdH yesterday to compare, and they're really quite different. EIV subs in grapefruit for the more interesting bruised orange of the original; adds some amber to the ISO E base to round things out; and spikes the already present vetiver note pretty hard, resulting in a more bracing but less balanced fragrance overall. It loses some of the ethereal magic of the original but makes up for it in tenacity. Still a solid fragrance, provided you enjoy the vetiver note in TdH and wish it would punch you in the face every so often.

p435313-av-15-zoom.jpg

Edited to add: worth noting this isn't a shy vetiver at all, especially for a mainstream designer release. If you press your nose to skin, there's a pungent, skunky quality (bordering on a weedian ganja note) lurking just below the sharp citrus top. I imagine non-vetiver folks would hate this, which makes it more interesting in my book.

Cook.bot

Flâneuse
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012

sagebrush

Basenotes Dependent
Nov 20, 2017
Synching with Hermes Bel Ami Vetiver, from a decant. The vetiver makes this deeper and richer with a dark green edge, and on this chilly evening, that's enjoyable. Sometimes I find the effect cloying. For that reason, I still prefer Bel Ami. Were I to start over with Bel Ami-adjacent purchases, I might have bought both BAV and Eau d'Hermes. To my nose, BA sits in between these two, all in current versions, and I cannot see a need for all three.

The Encre Noire trio I feel similarly : I own and wear the original EN (a transparent darkness; wearable in warmer weather), but prefer Etro Vetiver, which is deeper and darker (better in cold weather). I once had a sample of Encre Noire a l'Extreme, but on me, after a promising opening, it dried down the same as EN.

IsoESuperman

Basenotes Plus
Dec 30, 2015
... and have just found 100ml for £27.50?!
I knew it was bound to happen eventually! When it first came out, I was already an EN diehard and was chomping at the bit to get my hands on some...think I paid $60 for a 50ml decant, knowing full well it'd be at the discounters before long. And I do love the line's bottles. The weight, the sprayer, the font, the cap. Right up my alley.

Switched to a somewhat newer vetiver acquisition, Racine de Vetiver. This is more or less straight up vetiver oil (Haiti & Java) with some lightweight supporting citrus materials in perfumers alcohol. Somewhat along the lines of Vetiver Veritas but wears much lighter and brighter.

IMG_0700.jpg

Earlyn

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jun 14, 2019
Power to the BVS!
Will not be spraying Encre Noire a L’Extreme today but will pat my bottle on the cap in unity.
I bet there are other vetivers that would serve the BVS but perhaps not at such an egalitarian price point.

Instead, as planned, I‘m wearing a sample of MPG Route du Vetiver, and this is so good for this moderately chilly and overcast day. I got a crisp green momentarily and then right to a very root-and-dirt vetiver - dark, barky, damp, but blended with a very assertive sandalwood that reminds me of walnut and pecan oil.

Cook.bot

Flâneuse
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
Instead, as planned, I‘m wearing a sample of MPG Route du Vetiver, and this is so good for this moderately chilly and overcast day. I got a crisp green momentarily and then right to a very root-and-dirt vetiver - dark, barky, damp, but blended with a very assertive sandalwood that reminds me of walnut and pecan oil.

Whoa! In that stuff you might get to be the queen of the BVS. That's about the roughest, toughest vetiver I ever wore. Beyond butchy.

Andy the frenchy

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 16, 2018
Syncing with Vetiver by Domaine Prive
This is one I noticed you’re pulling out of your wardrobe quite often lately. I will try to find a sample as soon as I can :)

Another star seems to be Encre Noire à l’Extrême, chosen by many in here today!

Andy the frenchy

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 16, 2018
I keep going with

Salamanca by Olympic Orchids
First wear of a sample I recently got in a swap. Very nice leathery hay-ish vetiver opening. The leathery facet tones down quite fast to leave only a vegetal felling, with a hint of saltiness, probably because of the vetiver. Nice, but not a love-at-first-smell, for me. Obviously, these are just first impressions, TBC...

26135571.jpg

Latest News