Vetiver Wednesdays Sync: an invitation to a magical journey

Toxicon

Basenotes Dependent
May 29, 2021
Pre-synced today with Guerlain Vetiver Eau de Cologne as my SOTD. My SOTN is one that the very light vetiver accord doesn’t truly come forward until at least an hour into the wearing (for my nose), Chanel-Paris Edimbourg. Edimbourg isn’t a vetiver fragrance but it’s definitely there, lightly. Edimbourg isn’t something I would recommend to a vetiver lover as it’s just not that kind of candy. But as a vetiver lover, that was wanting a very light evening scent, it’s been very enjoyable.
I do love Edimbourg for what it is - definitely get the vetiver, but it feels like more of a rainy juniper/cypress scent overall. Very nice scent!

Toxicon

Basenotes Dependent
May 29, 2021
Pre-synced with Encre Noire a l'Extreme. Dark, musty vetiver, cypress, incense, and sandalwood - deep black with flecks of dark brown.

Encre-Noire-%C3%A0-lExtr%C3%AAme-by-Lalique-Review-1.jpg

Diddy

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Oct 14, 2015
I do love Edimbourg for what it is - definitely get the vetiver, but it feels like more of a rainy juniper/cypress scent overall. Very nice scent!
Very well said. And yes, it’s more about juniper and cypress. I detect a peaty smell too. I’m somewhat of a Chanel fanboy, kinda. So I like it with some bias, but also acknowledge that people could find something in the same vein for cheaper than the Chanel pricing. Thanks for your reply!

Toxicon

Basenotes Dependent
May 29, 2021
In for the sync today with Vetiver Oriental, which has become a favorite of mine in part because of how quietly strange it is despite being relatively smooth and easy to wear. There's an almost play-doh quality that comes out between the green / gently bitter vetiver, the smooth woods (gaiac, sandalwood), and the amber and lite-gourmand notes (dry, dusty cocoa). It's a bizarre hodgepodge that stacks up in the weirdest way, but it's not particularly loud; just odd.

I like how @PStoller described it in his revew: "I'd rather have more vetiver in the mix, but it's certainly here, closely mated to the gaiac and musk in a dusky woody-grassy accord that's subtle and somewhat fascinating." Oddly compelling.

0bace601-7fae-4c4d-b64b-b98192513672_1.d6f1262d16c4317655867c091087bf14.jpeg

Andy the frenchy

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 16, 2018
Sync'ing with

Vetyverso by Laboratorio Olfattivo
Very nice citric vetiver, sunny, with a hint of spices not without reminding's me of Guerlain's (but Vetyverso is lighter/brighter). In the base, some resins will appear, giving a classic bitter lemon fragrance vibe a-la Boucheron PH or Eau de Rochas.
Yes it's great, yes it's now terribly priced, but... in the sea of vetiver fragrances now available, I have to be harder on which ones to give a 5-stars rating. For MY tastes, the sweetness in the base (benzoin?) is what will make this one loose one star. But let's relativize: a 4-star rating just means that I won't shell out another $180 for this one, more because of redundancy than because I dismiss it....
In any cases, very nice, and great buy for whoever will get it!

1672851832811.png
just means

Last edited:

JBHoren

I'm a social vegan. I avoid meet.
Basenotes Plus
Apr 25, 2007
Syncing with ELdO Fat Electrician EDP ⟵ link to my ShaveOTD post (hat-tip to @Andy the frenchy)
I've yet to try an ELDO, but this one always looks appealing. First impressions?
It's been a few hours since application (I guess that means "into the drydown"), and it's clear that from the get-go chestnut takes center stage... at this point, it seems to be the only player. I'm not complaining... not really; I had no preconception of how the fragrance notes would play together, but I did expect more vetiver "presence" (no, not like "more cowbell"). ELdO Fat Electrician is a pleasant, well-behaved fragrance... it would be fine for any office setting. Let me say this: I am pleased with the purchase -- for example, comparing it with Jo Malone English Oak & Hazelnut, I would not have expected the chestnut to remain so apparent, for so long.

Andy the frenchy

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 16, 2018
I'll keep sync'ing with

Vetiver by Perfumer H
Beautiful nutty vetiver, by the Lyn Harris who now released her 'solo' line, after ~15 years of loyal service for Miller Harris. In the base, a bit of nutmeg will give it a slightly dusty quality. It's high level, perfectly done, but doesn't really bring anything new to the table. Might have gone for a full bottle if it was priced more reasonably (and I'm referring to the 200 euros refill bottle unavailable in the US, not the 'handblown' $600+ thing, here pictured...)
1672883896607.png

Last edited:

Andy the frenchy

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 16, 2018
A vetiver trio today of:

Palais Jamais - Etro
Vétiver Bourbon - Parfum d'Empire
Vétiver Écarlate - L'Artisan Parfumeur

It will probably be a while before the L'Artisan shows up at discounters but a <$75 price point might get me to pounce. The opening is outstanding.
I only got to try Vetiver Ecarlate on skin in store, - and admittedly with another 12 fragrances covering every available inch square of skin I had available - so my impression might not have been very fair, but ther was mostly some fresh berries/tomatoes hitting my nose. The vetiver was there in the base, but definitely not the major player, at such piint that I thought about deleting it from the other 'vetiver under-the-radar' thread list... what do you think?

Andy the frenchy

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 16, 2018
Coeur de Vetiver Sacré by L'Artisan for the morning...and French Lover by Malle in the evening!
I am lucky enough to have a large decant of it, Coeur de Vetiver Sacre', that I cherish.
I see that one as being the -strong - source of inspiration for OO Nightflyer (fka the original 2015 Bat by Zoologist)....

Andy the frenchy

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 16, 2018
Vetiver Bourbon, Monotheme. 2003.

View attachment 317340
A VERY under-the-radar fragrance... if it wasn't for the shipping fee from Italy (3-4X the price of the fragrance), I would have already pulled the trigger blindly. I still might, during my next trip to Italy...
What are your thoughts? Any fragrance you would compare it to?

Jean-Sté

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jan 1, 2021
A VERY under-the-radar fragrance... if it wasn't for the shipping fee from Italy (3-4X the price of the fragrance), I would have already pulled the trigger blindly. I still might, during my next trip to Italy...
What are your thoughts? Any fragrance you would compare it to?
To my nose, it is a very intense vetiver, but without any dark, dense, earthy or skank vibe. Very clean, and enjoyable, although I also like dirty, dense and dark vetiver.

PStoller

I’m not old, I’m vintage.
Basenotes Plus
Aug 1, 2019
A VERY under-the-radar fragrance... if it wasn't for the shipping fee from Italy (3-4X the price of the fragrance), I would have already pulled the trigger blindly.

It seems to be out of stock at most US retailers, and the few who have it have jacked up the price. I haven’t tried it, but since value is integral to most of the positive reviews, I’ll wait to see if it gets restocked at the discounters.

Andy the frenchy

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 16, 2018
I'm in today with

Terre d'Hermes Eau Intense Vetiver by Hermes
Unfortunately for this one, it'll be its last wearing, since I decided it had to leave. But to be honest, that one was an easy one for me. I never really loved the Terre d'Hermes scent profile. The stronger/darker vetiver in here (compared to the original) brings it unquestionably in the right direction, but the grapefruit does not managed to accomplish what I hoped, that is: fully deleting the 'orange" effect (I hate orange in fragrances). My only purchase in this line, but this is not for me. A no-regrets goodbye.
375x500.50672.jpg

Ed Wardian

Basenotes Dependent
Oct 28, 2020
I'll be syncing with the sensual mysterium that is Encre Noire à l’Extrême by Lalique... Not only a fine vetiver with a santal brush, also a fine incense, that continues to captivate, comfort and insulate with its ghostly 'petrolesque' woody tone that coats the mood for a chilly day in Ville Marie...

Happy Vetiver Wednesday everyone!

Lalique Encre Noire a l'extreme.JPG

IsoESuperman

People of Zee Wurl, Relax
Basenotes Plus
Dec 30, 2015
Went with something I typically wear during months that called to me today, Profumi di Firenze 1954 Terrarosa.
IMG_1244.jpg
I only got to try Vetiver Ecarlate on skin in store, - and admittedly with another 12 fragrances covering every available inch square of skin I had available - so my impression might not have been very fair, but ther was mostly some fresh berries/tomatoes hitting my nose. The vetiver was there in the base, but definitely not the major player, at such piint that I thought about deleting it from the other 'vetiver under-the-radar' thread list... what do you think?
I'd agree vetiver isn't the main player and isn't really all that noticeable for me until later in the wear. The top is mostly a citrus/tomato leaf/galbanum green affair with some clean musky bolstering, and definitely the berry vibe you mentioned. I looked at the notes and they list blackcurrant - I wouldn't have pinpointed that but makes sense.

My two cents on the inventory list, I think vetiver makes enough of a showing later on to count relative to a number of other things on it. But that's just me and it's not my list :)

Andy the frenchy

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 16, 2018
I kept going, earlier today, with

Icon by Dunhill
A neroli-centric weirdo, with a hint of iris in the heart, and noticeable sour woods and vetiver in the base. Very unique.
The neroli is orange-ing a bit, but unlike Terre d'Hermes, this one works well for me. I just wish they used slightly better ingredients for that, because it is admittedly not top quality smelling. Oh well, for the $30 I paid for that one, there's little to complain about.
375x500.29229.jpg

Platinum Egoiste by Chanel

I've never been a huge fan of that one. Harsh top, and just nice mossy with a hint of vetiver. Like for TdH EIV, this one got ejected today from my wardrobe. Farewell!
375x500.614.jpg

Andy the frenchy

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 16, 2018
I keep going on my launch with

Kinski by Escentric Molecules
A very weird but interesting marijuana accord-centric fragrance with a support of animalics, juniper and a very noticeable salty vetiver.
Not for all noses, but I personally love it. That is the kind of creativity in fragrances that I look for, independently of the marketing (it could very well havee been marketed has a rhubarb or gooseberry accord, instead of marijuana). I only regret the name, since I do not admire the person after whom this fragrance is named.
375x500.14192.jpg

Andy the frenchy

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 16, 2018
Keeping up with the pace, and moving forward with

Archetipo by Mendittorosa
From a sample I brought back from my last trip to France. Opens with smoky woods in the top, a territory vastely explored by Comme des Garcons and DS&Durga. It closes with a soft, slightly sweet, ambergris and vetiver combo exuding ome vibes of Oud Minerale by Tom Ford at that stage - but a way better rendition here.
Overall very nice, even if a bit sheer and weak on the skin. It results less impressive on skin than blotter, if I have to say it all.
Will please who prefers intimate fragrances, but it's not utterly unique to my nose. I don't care about presentation, but cannot avoid underlining that it is a stunning bottle.
375x500.43417.jpg

Last edited:

Latest News

Whatever your taste in perfume, we've got you covered...

catalogue your collection, keep track of your perfume wish-list, log your daily fragrance wears, review your latest finds, seek out long-lost scented loves, keep track of the latest perfume news, find your new favourite fragrance, and discuss perfume with like-minded people from all over the world...