Retired
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
Syncing with Guerlain Vetiver EDT
il_1588xN.3471795367_a4rs.jpg

Toxicon

Basenotes Dependent
May 29, 2021
Pre-synced (inadvertently) with Cabochard EDP, which I'm pretty sure has vetiver in the base even if not listed. Gorgeous, smoky, green leather chypre with a fizzy aldehydic top and floral heart (jasmine, ylang ylang). I should wear this more often.

375x500.55533.jpg

Today I'm syncing with Vetiver Oriental, a dusty, green, off-center vetiver curiosity. Like a lot of Lutens / Sheldrake compositions, this one is a shapeshifter. Different notes take the lead depending on the day. Today the warm sandalwood and guiaic are front and center, with the bitter green vetiver present but not dominating. Lovely stuff.

2634_img-4868-serge_lutens-vetiver_oriental_720.jpg

Toxicon

Basenotes Dependent
May 29, 2021
Pre-syncing with Histories de Parfums 1828, a woodsy, spicy, aromatic masculine with a solid vetiver heart note. Otherwise, there’s a dash of grapefruit up top, eucalyptus and pine, black pepper and nutmeg, and nicely padded base of cedar, musk, and incense. Sometimes written off as a generic masculine, I find this one a bit weirder than that, but still pretty easy to wear.

HDP_1828_120ML_800x.jpg

Ed Wardian

Basenotes Dependent
Oct 28, 2020
Hermann à mes côtés me paraissait une ombre (2015) by Etat Libre D'Orange will be the sync for this blessed Wednesday... A Quentin Bisch offering that puts a pepper ozone sheath over cold thorny roses (hinted with galbanum and blackcurrant) soiled in a geosmine effect that collectively ushers a camphorous patina calm deepened by frankincense, patchouli and our dear, dear vetiver... An ethereal capsicum annuum, indeed!

Wishing everyone a Happy Vetiver Wednesday!

Hermann à mes côtés me paraissait une ombre.jpg

Cook.bot

Flâneuse
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
More brilliance from Marc-Antoine Corticchiato:

Années Folles for La Parfumerie Moderne -- a sheer barbershoppy lavender that leads to a clean vetiver heart. I'm mostly anosmic to the musky base, which is fine since it just means more vetiver for me.

I like this well enough on myself, but must regretfully say I think I'd like it better on a male.

6aa89227f40759b134b1fe8ea4ee7d8b.jpg

Major hat tip to @IsoESuperman

Gif_HatTip_BusterKeaton.gif

IsoESuperman

People of Zee Wurl, Relax
Basenotes Plus
Dec 30, 2015
More brilliance from Marc-Antoine Corticchiato:

Années Folles for La Parfumerie Moderne

It’s so good! Glad you’re enjoying.

Also going with a M-AC vetiver today as I continue to get to know Vétiver Bourbon. I’m still baffled by how much more I liked it from a dab sample vial versus the bottle. The first 90 minutes or so, when it’s smelled up close on skin it smells unpleasant. Its little scent bubble is nice for the duration though.

Also revisited my sample of 33 from Chris Rusak. Never made the connection before today but it kind of reminds me of a much more tame/easy to wear and less weird Onda. He’s re-releasing this sometime early next year I think, worth putting on the radar of vetiver fans who like it raw.
B46E60C7-24DE-475E-A789-AF8E29AA3FAA.jpeg

Cook.bot

Flâneuse
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
as I continue to get to know Vétiver Bourbon. I’m still baffled by how much more I liked it from a dab sample vial versus the bottle.

Always happy to see anyone employing the @Bavard method of photographic styling.

Also revisited my sample of 33 from Chris Rusak. Never made the connection before today but it kind of reminds me of a much more tame/easy to wear and less weird Onda. He’s re-releasing this sometime early next year I think, worth putting on the radar of vetiver fans who like it raw.

Innnnteresting. Rusak had a couple of California desert environmental scents that I missed the first time around, notably a chaparral one. I need to catch up on whether's he's reviving those.

Andy the frenchy

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 16, 2018
I almost wore that today! Seriously, I broke out the sample and was ThisClose to putting it on. I think I didn't give it a fair chance to first time I tried it. How do you like it, Andy?
It's beautiful. I love it, only wished it performed a bit better, as it lasted 3 hours on my skin. (I'm a bit late on logging in my scents of the day today, as I visited Sens Unique in Paris today, and oooooohhhhh I shouldn't have hahah... I have to go again tomorrow to decide on something.... 💸💸💸

I also stopped by Marie-Antoinette..... :rolleyes:

Toxicon

Basenotes Dependent
May 29, 2021
Phase II: Terre d'Hermes Eau Intense Vetiver. I stumbled across an older sample and went with a heavier than usual application... and it's living up to its name. Building on the original TdH, this cranks the vetiver way out of proportion to everything else (fun if you're in the mood), adds some Earl Grey-style bergamot to the top, a dollop of geranium and sichuan pepper in the heart, and a slightly different woody base (they list it as "amberwood").

I quite like it, but have to be in the right mood - the vetiver screams off my skin, and it's intensely sharp and bitter. Something in here faintly reminds me of the Bois Imperial bug spray accord, though it's not dialed to headache levels here.

102833-3.webp

IsoESuperman

People of Zee Wurl, Relax
Basenotes Plus
Dec 30, 2015
It's beautiful. I love it, only wished it performed a bit better, as it lasted 3 hours on my skin. (I'm a bit late on logging in my scents of the day today, as I visited Sens Unique in Paris today, and oooooohhhhh I shouldn't have hahah... I have to go again tomorrow to decide on something.... 💸💸💸
Escale en Haiti is gorgeous stuff, I'm wearing a few sprays from my sample this morning. Very sheer and approachable, it smells like a sunny day in a bottle to me.

Have you tried Vetiver de Pierre from the Les Indémodables sister house...whatever it is called? There are directory entries for it under both Anthologie de Grands Crus and L’Atelier Français des Matières. A standalone website exists for the latter but they don't have a POS for perfumes, just about how they're materials and formulation experts - although the bottles are shown in some of the photos. It's the same husband and wife team behind the three (two?) ventures.

Either way, I found Vetiver de Pierre to be a near doppelganger for Escale en Haiti but with a bit more oomph and it lasts a decent deal longer. Something about it smells less green to me but it's very nice. If I had to pick one to buy, I'd probably go Escale en Haiti just because of price point.
Mark Buxton's Emotional Drop AKA Emotional Rescue.

One of the best modern vetivers out there. Starts with a clean, incredibly bright, neon green sap and citrus accord, drying down to a cedar/vetiver/balsam fir/sandalwood base, with wisps of rose and iris throughout.
Georgeous stuff here too, also wearing a few sprays on my other arm this morning. Vetiver heaven right now. I'm living off decants for the time being, it seems difficult to obtain in the US (without paying $$$$ for shipping from Europe).

Rose, sandal, vetiver, and iris are pretty much the main things that float my boat when it comes to perfumery. Before I tried this, I had sniffed other scents that combine vetiver with rose and/or iris accords but none had the balance I could appreciate. One always dominated the other in a way that left me wanting. When I ordered a sample of this, I went in feeling jaded and was beyond surprised when I finally wore it.

I love the fruity accord in the top as well. Gooseberry is listed - couldn't tell you what they smell like to save my life - but the fruity part of this smells a little like rhubarb to me and brings to mind the rhubarb/rose pairing in Rose Ikebana.

Latest News

Whatever your taste in perfume, we've got you covered...

catalogue your collection, keep track of your perfume wish-list, log your daily fragrance wears, review your latest finds, seek out long-lost scented loves, keep track of the latest perfume news, find your new favourite fragrance, and discuss perfume with like-minded people from all over the world...