Vetiver Wednesdays Sync: an invitation to a magical journey

thrilledchilled

All Is Beautiful
Basenotes Plus
Nov 17, 2018
375x500.2250.jpg

got to love this one and it has a good vetiver note. Happy Sync!

Ed Wardian

Basenotes Dependent
Oct 28, 2020
Trying out Essential Parfums Bois Imperial (thanks to a very kind basenoter who shared a decant). Vetiver, pepper, cedar, patchouli, and Thai basil. I know this is a current darling of the board, but I’m not sure it’s for me. Overall it feels like a potent blend of pepper and sharply synthetic woods to my nose. Not the ISO E type, but more modernized— feels like a heavy dose of akigalawood, vetiveryl acetate (the vetiver note reminds me of Escentric 03), ambroxan, and “georgywood”, which is a listed note and apparently some kind of synthetic cedar. The ambroxan is done well and isn’t cloying at all, but it gives this thing intense longevity.

The issue is that I get a sharp bug spray note in the opening, and the juice is so powerful it hangs around forever. Hate to say it—smells a bit like Frontline flea and tick treatment. While most folks seem to love this, I’ve seen a few scattered reviews mentioning a similar experience, so it’s probably just a note sensitivity on my part. I’ll give it a few more wears and re-evaluate but I’d recommend sampling before a blind buy on this one.

Bois-imperial-essential-parfums-produit-3.jpg
Actually the first time I wore this ditty, I got a headache from its sharp synthetic nature and truly found it questionable... Subsequent wearings revealed a whole new facet that took me by surprise and a sudden smitten feeling developed for this seasoned woody licorice... I'll admit, like many offerings here, our beautiful community set a pre-conditioned excitement initially but later it was more in part to a personal (pathetic yet sadly beautiful) experience due to a sweet kitten who offered a delectable purr in my presence; the associative feeling that a pretty young professional appreciated the scent aura of a handsome pervy middle aged man, simply raised a spirit, added an extra whisker and flare in the noggin.. Truly, something gave way to the imperial side. Dear Toxicon, I say, give it a few wears to let the magic emanate and if possible hover around the neighbouring water cooler at work if need be for a possible illumination... It's a grower in my books..

Truth be told, I'm glad your post offers another dimension as always with fine candid spirit and insight.

Toxicon

Basenotes Dependent
May 29, 2021
Actually the first time I wore this ditty, I got a headache from its sharp synthetic nature and truly found it questionable... Subsequent wearings revealed a whole new facet that took me by surprise and a sudden smitten feeling developed for this seasoned woody licorice... I'll admit, like many offerings here, our beautiful community set a pre-conditioned excitement initially but later it was more in part to a personal (pathetic yet sadly beautiful) experience due to a sweet kitten who offered a delectable purr in my presence; the associative feeling that a pretty young professional appreciated the scent aura of a handsome pervy middle aged man, simply raised a spirit, added an extra whisker and flare in the noggin.. Truly, something gave way to the imperial side. Dear Toxicon, I say, give it a few wears to let the magic emanate and if possible hover around the neighbouring water cooler at work if need be for a possible illumination... It's a grower in my books..

Truth be told, I'm glad your post offers another dimension as always with fine candid spirit and insight.
Ha! A little positive reinforcement goes a long way for sure. I'll give it another whirl - it wouldn't be the first time I've come around after expectations realign. (This happened with Encre Noire among others.) I've also got a bit of a cold, so my senses aren't entirely trustworthy at the moment, either.

In any event, I followed up last night with a phase 2 sync by wearing vintage Aramis Cologne, the most classic of manly leather chypres with a little blast of vetiver in the base. Stiff, almost salty leather livened up with sharp spices - I never expected to fall in love with this one, but here we are. The vintage juice is outstanding.

And today, I'm post-syncing with Guerlain Vetiver since my beleaguered snout was craving a proper full-dose of vetiver. Lovely as ever. (I'm thinking I might also join the Friday sync focused on favorite notes with another vetiver, but we shall see.)

thrilledchilled

All Is Beautiful
Basenotes Plus
Nov 17, 2018

I find it very synthetic but I really enjoy it too.

IsoESuperman

People of Zee Wurl, Relax
Basenotes Plus
Dec 30, 2015
Tardy post - last week's pair below. Dior Vétiver and SP Parfums Liquorice Vetiver. I also sprayed some Dia Man on my shirt at some point but it didn't make it into the picture.

It might actually rain tomorrow (recently bumped up to D3/Extreme drought conditions here) so I'm looking forward to either Palais Jamais or Route du Vetiver and damp earth.

IMG_1058.jpg

Toxicon

Basenotes Dependent
May 29, 2021
Chanel Sycomore: vetiver, cypress, juniper, violet, sandalwood. There's a bit of spice, light sweetness, and "roundness" to the composition, which makes it more suitable for daily wear than a lot of my favorite vetivers, without compromising the intensity of the core vetiver/cypress accord. As I'm getting more familiar with the perfumers, I can see similarities to other fragrances by Jacques Polge (particularly Salvatore Ferragamo Pour Homme, which has a similar base, done much better here) and Christopher Sheldrake (various Serge Lutens, maybe a faint similarity to the semi-sweet, highly coniferous Fille en Aiguilles). The main downside to this one is the price, but in this case I love it enough to justify the splurge.

sycomore-les-exclusifs-de-chanel-eau-de-parfum-6-8fl-oz--packshot-default-122300-8821962702878.jpg

thrilledchilled

All Is Beautiful
Basenotes Plus
Nov 17, 2018
Chanel Sycomore: vetiver, cypress, juniper, violet, sandalwood. There's a bit of spice, light sweetness, and "roundness" to the composition, which makes it more suitable for daily wear than a lot of my favorite vetivers, without compromising the intensity of the core vetiver/cypress accord. As I'm getting more familiar with the perfumers, I can see similarities to other fragrances by Jacques Polge (particularly Salvatore Ferragamo Pour Homme, which has a similar base, done much better here) and Christopher Sheldrake (various Serge Lutens, maybe a faint similarity to the semi-sweet, highly coniferous Fille en Aiguilles). The main downside to this one is the price, but in this case I love it enough to justify the splurge.

sycomore-les-exclusifs-de-chanel-eau-de-parfum-6-8fl-oz--packshot-default-122300-8821962702878.jpg

Class all the way!

Cook.bot

Flâneuse
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
I can see similarities to other fragrances by Jacques Polge (particularly Salvatore Ferragamo Pour Homme, which has a similar base, done much better here)

I never paid attention that Polge also did Ferragamo PH! No wonder I like it so much. I think of it as almost entirely fig, but now that you've brought it up, I can definitely see the Sycomore similarities in the base.

JBHoren

I *am* smiling
Basenotes Plus
Apr 25, 2007
I never paid attention that Polge also did Ferragamo PH! No wonder I like it so much. I think of it as almost entirely fig, but now that you've brought it up, I can definitely see the Sycomore similarities in the base.
Keen eye/nose! @Varanis Ridari mentioned the similarities between the two in his review of Ferragamo PH (one of the reasons I bought it).

Toxicon

Basenotes Dependent
May 29, 2021
I think it was a @Varanis Ridari review (and possibly further commentary from @LiveJazz?) that called my attention to it, but yeah - really interesting stylistic connection. It’s like the vetiver/cypress accord swaps in directly for the fig and the rest of the fragrance is built on similar bones. Both great fragrances at very different price points!

EDIT: ah, I see @JBHoren already gave credit where it’s due :)

LiveJazz

Funky fresh
Basenotes Plus
Mar 16, 2006
Keen eye/nose! @Varanis Ridari mentioned the similarities between the two in his review of Ferragamo PH (one of the reasons I bought it).
Same here. I’ve mentioned the connection here because I agree with it, but VR is the OG in pointing it out!

I forgot it was Wed and put on Polo, oops. I’ll vetiver it up later once this fades a bit more!

Varanis Ridari

The Scented Devil
Basenotes Plus
Oct 17, 2012
Thank you @JBHoren @Toxicon @LiveJazz

I need to wear SF pH again.

Currently on a bit of a perfume sabbatical because the buildup of polymusks, aldehydes and other hydrophobic materials in my sinus cause pain and nosebleeds.

The cost of such frequent and constant perfume wearing, testing, and exposure. I'm evidently sensitive to these though. It doesn't affect everyone and usually a week or two away fixes it for another 8 months to a year.

LiveJazz

Funky fresh
Basenotes Plus
Mar 16, 2006
Thank you @JBHoren @Toxicon @LiveJazz

I need to wear SF pH again.

Currently on a bit of a perfume sabbatical because the buildup of polymusks, aldehydes and other hydrophobic materials in my sinus cause pain and nosebleeds.

The cost of such frequent and constant perfume wearing, testing, and exposure. I'm evidently sensitive to these though. It doesn't affect everyone and usually a week or two away fixes it for another 8 months to a year.
Yikes, get well and good luck. Your nose has been having a little too much fun, it seems!

Ed Wardian

Basenotes Dependent
Oct 28, 2020
Today's sync is with the citrus grove that is Jean-Claude Ellena's Terre d'Hermès (2006), a mineral beat of zest and wood that remains poignant and cross-sectional amongst the prim of the universe... Simply a transparent, earthy, ethereal accord, highlighted by a synthetic flint note that adds a wet soiled edge to the chartreuse emanating, one that is dressed up by a floral note of pelargonium and its rosy green facet and of course, our patron note of vetiver, shaking its rump in the exit stage with the other woody humps in the base... A benchmark that continues to resonate and stands far above the rest in this young century.

Happy Vetiver Wednesday everyone!

terre d'hermes edt.jpg

Perfumania - America's Leading Perfumery Chain!

Latest News

. .