Vetiver Wednesdays Sync: an invitation to a magical journey

Toxicon

Basenotes Dependent
May 29, 2021
Syncing with one of my newest acquisitions (thanks to an incredibly kind Basenoter!): MPG Route du Vetiver, in what I believe is a vintage formulation. I'm basking in deep, dank, earthy vetiver with a beautifully bright blackcurrant top note. Awesome in every sense. It's one of the older red bottles with the cross-hatching, and a big ol' plastic jewel on the cap. Looks just like the bottle below.

31_6033_e73f0c89890aa5f2e8588e727a4e51be_270.jpg

Toxicon

Basenotes Dependent
May 29, 2021
...and just about as earthy as vetiver gets. Strong stuff.
There's a brief stage towards the top where it smells like dunking your head in a barrel of industrial solvents - or huffing a hundred black Sharpies at once. It quiets down to a wearable vetiver shortly thereafter, but I actually appreciate the intensity up front. Glorious stuff!

LiveJazz

Funky fresh
Basenotes Plus
Mar 16, 2006
Drumming my fingers on the desk and waiting for @LiveJazz to weigh in with Prada Vetiver....

You rang?

I'm wearing it; it's good, but not all that vetivery. I probably wouldn't peg it as a vetiver if I smelled it blind. I'm getting more of a relationship with Amber Pour Homme as opposed to the original Infusion d'Iris, which surprised me.

"Amber" is a bit of a misnomber for Amber Pour Homme...it's more of a floral-spiced-powdery soap thing. Looking through the notes, they do have a lot in common: orange blossom, bergamot, undefined florals (the vetiver claims rose; I'm skeptical), a crisp spice (ginger in the Vetiver, cardamom and saffron giving a similar effect in Amber), and of course vetiver, which is obviously a little elevated in Vetiver. And they both have a similar powerdery-clean suede under the whole thing.

Bottom line, I like it, but it's not sufficiently vetivered to differentiate itself from other Pradas (including Amber Pour Homme, which I already own and enjoy).

Side note: the notes in the system for Infusion de Vetiver are very different from what's listed on the sample packet.

Packet says: Haitian Vetiver, Ginger, Neroli, Bergamot, Rose
Basenotes says: Vetiver, tarragon, pepper, "purple ginger"

I dont' smell tarragon or pepper. Is this is the same thing as what's listed?

Cook.bot

Flâneuse
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
Side note: the notes in the system for Infusion de Vetiver are very different from what's listed on the sample packet.
Packet says: Haitian Vetiver, Ginger, Neroli, Bergamot, Rose
Basenotes says: Vetiver, tarragon, pepper, "purple ginger"

I dont' smell tarragon or pepper. Is this is the same thing as what's listed?

Now I'm wondering the same thing, based on what you're smelling and what I smelled. My sample was so strong on tarragon and ginger that I don't think you would have missed them. Also: not weak on the vetiver.

Could there be two separate vetiver products from Prada? A regular vetiver and the Infusion de Vetiver? I'm going to have to write the person who sent me my sample and ask if his bottle said Infusion de.

Toxicon

Basenotes Dependent
May 29, 2021
Now I'm wondering the same thing, based on what you're smelling and what I smelled. My sample was so strong on tarragon and ginger that I don't think you would have missed them. Also: not weak on the vetiver.

Could there be two separate vetiver products from Prada? A regular vetiver and the Infusion de Vetiver? I'm going to have to write the person who sent me my sample and ask if his bottle said Infusion de.
Out of curiosity I dug around and found two separate entries on Fragrantica, including an earlier 2010 limited edition for men, which lists tarragon, and a unisex 2015 version that does not. Same perfumer, same product name, and similar bottle, and the listing describes it as a relaunched version of the 2010 scent. Oddly, while the press copy doesn't mention tarragon for the 2015, the note tree still includes it and a few people mention it (though I imagine the reviews may be jumbled since it's not obvious these are different scents).

2010:

2015:

Cook.bot

Flâneuse
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
Out of curiosity I dug around and found two separate entries on Fragrantica, including an earlier 2010 limited edition for men, which lists tarragon, and a unisex 2015 version that does not. Same perfumer, same product name, and similar bottle, and the listing describes it as a relaunched version of the 2010 scent. Oddly, while the press copy doesn't mention tarragon for the 2015, the note tree still includes it and a few people mention it (though I imagine the reviews may be jumbled since it's not obvious these are different scents).

Oh wow. I'll bet you anything I got the older one and LJ got the newer. We'll see if my donor knows which one he decanted my sample from.

Nice digging, Toxicon!

LiveJazz

Funky fresh
Basenotes Plus
Mar 16, 2006
Oh wow. I'll bet you anything I got the older one and LJ got the newer. We'll see if my donor knows which one he decanted my sample from.

Nice digging, Toxicon!
Seriously, good work!

I think there are other examples of this kind of trickery in Prada’s recent history, and especially in this line, but I can’t quote full details from memory. I think it had to do with the Cedre and it’s relationship to Infusion Homme…first a name change but it smelled like Infusion, and then it was softened out? Maybe?

Anyway, this example would fit with the theme I recall…basically keep the name, make it softer.

Toxicon

Basenotes Dependent
May 29, 2021
Sync phase 2: Comme des Garcons Wonderwood. It's another austere woody thing, right up my alley.

Prominent vetiver against a backdrop of several flavors of woody notes, real and synthetic: cypress, cedar, black pepper, sandalwood, a touch of "oud" and incense, soft cashmeran, and heaps of ISO E. To my nose it feels like a peppery take on Encre Noire + Tam Dao. I prefer both of those, and they both perform better on my skin, but this is still perfectly nice. Similar to other CdG scents like Kyoto, Hinoki, and 2 Man.

comme-des-garcons-wonderwood-eau-de-parfum-_65037654_m7_1.jpg

Ed Wardian

Basenotes Dependent
Oct 28, 2020
Today's sync du jour is with Salvatore Ferragamo pour Homme (1999), a fig-alicious spicy balsamic floral pickled seamlessly by a wholesome woody à trois of luscious sandalwood, piquant cedar and... lo and behold, nutty vetiver, massaged with aplomb in oakmoss, leather and tasty musk... Ahhh, beautifully ripened and seasoned for stylishly loitering around!

Wishing everyone a Happy Vetiver Wednesday!

Salvatore Ferragamo pour homme.jpg

JBHoren

I *am* smiling
Basenotes Plus
Apr 25, 2007
Today's sync du jour is with Salvatore Ferragamo pour Homme (1999), a fig-alicious spicy balsamic floral pickled seamlessly by a wholesome woody à trois of luscious sandalwood, piquant cedar and... lo and behold, nutty vetiver, massaged with aplomb in oakmoss, leather and tasty musk... Ahhh, beautifully ripened and seasoned for stylishly loitering around!
A new(er) acquisition of mine (mid-April of this year), this quickly became a favorite — especially so, for evenings and nights. A great choice! (y)

LiveJazz

Funky fresh
Basenotes Plus
Mar 16, 2006
Sisley Eau de Campagne

A bit of vetiver is listed in the base, but this is not "a vetiver". It's an incredible green citric, and probably the reference point for so many scents with that zingy/vegetal/weedy/scruffy/angelica-like green bite, like Corsica Furiosa, and on the softer side, Ninfeo Mio. Is this the conceptual origin of such accords in perfumery? It must be one of them, along with Eau Sauvage going a bit further back in the family history. I love accords like this, whatever their context. Vetiver lends a bit of woody depth here.

Toxicon

Basenotes Dependent
May 29, 2021
Trying out Essential Parfums Bois Imperial (thanks to a very kind basenoter who shared a decant). Vetiver, pepper, cedar, patchouli, and Thai basil. I know this is a current darling of the board, but I’m not sure it’s for me. Overall it feels like a potent blend of pepper and sharply synthetic woods to my nose. Not the ISO E type, but more modernized— feels like a heavy dose of akigalawood, vetiveryl acetate (the vetiver note reminds me of Escentric 03), ambroxan, and “georgywood”, which is a listed note and apparently some kind of synthetic cedar. The ambroxan is done well and isn’t cloying at all, but it gives this thing intense longevity.

The issue is that I get a sharp bug spray note in the opening, and the juice is so powerful it hangs around forever. Hate to say it—smells a bit like Frontline flea and tick treatment. While most folks seem to love this, I’ve seen a few scattered reviews mentioning a similar experience, so it’s probably just a note sensitivity on my part. I’ll give it a few more wears and re-evaluate but I’d recommend sampling before a blind buy on this one.

Bois-imperial-essential-parfums-produit-3.jpg

Latest News