Vetiver Wednesdays Sync: an invitation to a magical journey

JBHoren

I *am* smiling
Basenotes Plus
Apr 25, 2007
It was originally pinned along with the Monday Sync thread. The Mods rational for taking it down was that there were too many pinned threads, 6 at one point. They thought it would be bad keeping one sync pinned and the other unpinned, so they decided to unpin both. Fortunately both threads get bumped up to the top every week, they never fall too far back.
In the Marketplace, Items for Sale has six pinned threads. A compromise: If the two ends of the spectrum are "pinned" and "not-pinned", perhaps it would be possible to prioritize the display of certain threads -- let's say, by prefacing the title with a tag (in this case, [SYNC]) -- and "floating" them to the top of the queue. I don't know if Xenforo provides such a thing, but it's a thought.

Ed Wardian

Basenotes Dependent
Oct 28, 2020
I have no real concept of what this one smells like -- besides "woody", tenacious, and with some faint overlap with Ganymede -- but the enthusiasm folks have for it is infectious. I'll try it one of these days!
Oh I hope you will! I love it! Quentin Bisch has that nose... Bless him!

Let's narrow Bois Impérial for the olfactory buds... Here we have a fresh citrus flavouring of Timur pepper alongside a full Thai basil serving offering a spicy anise aroma, massaged in earthy Haitian vetiver strains and cedar tones, pressed beautifully in a Givauden hybrid note of oud and green patchouli leaf known as akigalawood and ambroxan, all this amounting to an alluring fresh licorice spice in woody resins, nothing sweet here simply curried in fine fashion... Can I assume temptation is beckoning? Haha!

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Retired
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
Creed Original Vetiver
375x500.468.jpg

Toxicon

Basenotes Junkie
May 29, 2021
Pre-synced with Comme des Garçons 2 Man. I’ve grown to really like this one. Woody and smoky incense and vetiver, with an interesting “snuffed candle” cumin note. Wears pretty light on my skin and has the same kind of synthetic/ethereal feel I get from other CdG scents like Kyoto, Hinoki, and Wonderwood, though I feel like this one could be someone’s signature scent. Not a strong vetiver but it’s definitely there.

ClockworkAlice

Cakesniffer
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019
I chose Zara's Vetiver Pamplemousse for this morning - it's a lovely take on very realistic grapeftruit and calming vetiver. It feels energizing and smells good. Jo Malone has done a great job on all this Zara Emotions series, but this is my favourite of the bunch. It's a very light scent though, but Zara's prices are so much better than prices at Jo Malone boutique, so you can reapply. :)

Toxicon

Basenotes Junkie
May 29, 2021
Saw a few folks in Guerlain Vetiver today and decided to join the crowd. We often point to this as the reference vetiver, in part because it's been around forever and because the actual vetiver accord is presented on a pedestal in all its unwashed glory. I think that downplays just how spice-forward this is as an overall composition, with nutmeg and sharp clove blended into a surprisingly loud and pungent tobacco accord. To my nose the vetiver comes across sharper and more aggressive than it might otherwise due to the opening flash of citrus and the instant heat from the spices. Definitely one of the best and still one of the most interesting, but certainly not for everyone.

Andy Garcia gets it:

guerlain_vetiver_poster.jpg

LiveJazz

Funky fresh
Basenotes Plus
Mar 16, 2006
Saw a few folks in Guerlain Vetiver today and decided to join the crowd. We often point to this as the reference vetiver, in part because it's been around forever and because the actual vetiver accord is presented on a pedestal in all its unwashed glory. I think that downplays just how spice-forward this is as an overall composition, with nutmeg and sharp clove blended into a surprisingly loud and pungent tobacco accord. To my nose the vetiver comes across sharper and more aggressive than it might otherwise due to the opening flash of citrus and the instant heat from the spices. Definitely one of the best and still one of the most interesting, but certainly not for everyone.

Andy Garcia gets it:

guerlain_vetiver_poster.jpg
Well said!

Not a pure play vetiver by any means, but I find that as clear as some of those additional notes are when smelling closely, they’re somehow presented in a way that seems enmeshed in the vetiver…like those smells are part of a very complex and full vetiver note. Vetiver itself doesn’t easily smell this “ripe” and tonally stuffed, but smelling the Guerlain, it feels like it could and should. Therein lies the genius of this one.

Also joined the Guerlain crowd today!

Cook.bot

Flâneuse
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
Vetiver itself doesn’t easily smell this “ripe” and tonally stuffed, but smelling the Guerlain, it feels like it could and should.

I think I'll join in with some GV at bedtime tonight, just 'cause I want to feel "tonally stuffed."

And maybe in hope that it'll bring me dreams about the young Andy Garcia.

Ed Wardian

Basenotes Dependent
Oct 28, 2020
Today I was breathing in the blessed joy that is Les Parfums Mythiques - Vetyver by Givenchy, thankfully one that appeals to my inner bespoke self... Yes, I was in full John Hillerman/Jonathan Higgins mode in my head as I tackled the gorgeous rays of the day with my usual ten blasts of reissued memories... I noticed the world was still for a mere moment, as I simply sighed a beautiful sigh.

Happy Vetiver Wednesday!!!

Vetyver Givenchy.jpg

Looters-delight

incredibly conscientious!
Basenotes Plus
Dec 1, 2020
Today I was breathing in the blessed joy that is Les Parfums Mythiques - Vetyver by Givenchy, thankfully one that appeals to my inner bespoke self... Yes, I was in full John Hillerman/Jonathan Higgins mode in my head as I tackled the gorgeous rays of the day with my usual ten blasts of reissued memories... I noticed the world was still for a mere moment, as I simply sighed a beautiful sigh.

Happy Vetiver Wednesday!!!

View attachment 253679
Well, Ed Wardian ...
now it may have been nice to smell the scent of "Higgi-Baby", the caretaker of Magnum P.I. to smell ... but unfortunately not for long.

Because in 2014 this Givenchy Vetyver was replaced by the version with the silver label. But unfortunately with completely different components - without oak moss! See following photos

full

and the different:

full

The green Vetyver still as a Givenchy Company product.
The silver Vetyver after takeover by LVMH

Unfortunately both are no longer in production!

Toxicon

Basenotes Junkie
May 29, 2021
Pre-synced with my latest pickup: Atelier Cologne Cedrat Enivrant. I like this line more than most folks seem to on this board, mainly because their citrus top notes are fantastic, even if the base notes are usually much less interesting. Still, they always smell pleasant, sunny, and unisex. Cedrat Enivrant is more or less photorealistic cedrat (bitter lemon) up top, some aromatics in the heart (mint + basil), and cypress, vetiver and tonka in the base. It's lighter overall but going for the same idea as something like Guerlain Homme, minus the rum. Not at all a real "vetiver" scent; I'm curious if I'll be able to pick it out in the base tonight.

ce_olfactive.jpg

Cook.bot

Flâneuse
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
Eau de Vetyver - L'Occitane (from a swap decant)

Very refreshing and natural smelling vetiver... for about 20 minutes, and then it began to warm up, starting with a strong nutmeg note (which I quite liked) but got progressively more mannish and woody, until it became a bit too masculine for me. Probably a moot point, since I understand it's discontinued anyway.

loccitane-loccitane-eau-de-vetyver-pour-homme-eau-de-toilette-for-men-100-ml___17.jpg

Ed Wardian

Basenotes Dependent
Oct 28, 2020
This week's sync is with the Guerlain Homme Eau de Parfum, a Wasser cocktail imitated over and over yet an ever so pleasing accord for daytime ventures that leaves one in a minty doozy, floral woozy propelled by a woody aromatic base of humbled patchouli, hinted cedar and a truly honorable bossy vetiver... A lovely creamy mojito finito for a muggy day.

Wishing everyone a lovely Vetiver Wednesday!

Guerlain Homme Eau de Parfum.jpg

burdinho

Basenotes Member
Mar 15, 2018
Hey guys

I saw a post on a fragrance thread on Facebook about a new Vetiver frag to launch this September. Been looking high and low but can’t find any references to it.

Surely the most knowledgable people in the world about Vetiver scents might be able to throw some light on it?

Cook.bot

Flâneuse
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
Gosh, I didn't realize that L'Occitane's Vetyver was such a family favorite. Had I known, I might have been a little more, er, circumspect.

I did scrub it, and swapped it out for another decant, Lubin's Vetiver Itasca. I like this marginally better than the L'Occitane; it's earthier, more rooty, but there's something a little sour in it that's nagging at me. And again, it just feels too butch for a female to wear.

Maybe I'm turning into a vetiver wimp.

9443_d5eaffa36ca5a5c4a328fdcae3e24d74_itasca_le_vetiver__itasca.jpg

Latest News