Vetiver Wednesdays Sync: an invitation to a magical journey

Toxicon

Basenotes Junkie
May 29, 2021
Vaguely pre-synced with Azzaro Pour Homme, which has a decently strong vetiver note, even if it’s blended into a stew of sharp barbershop aromatics. My new bottle (2020 formula, in a refillable bottle) is quite a bit smoother, less brutally sharp than the carded sample of unknown origin I just finished. I was slow to warm to this one, but I think I’m finally there - and this new bottle seems even more wearable than what I’m used to.

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Retired
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
Creed Original Vetiver to accommodate a warm day
375x500.468.jpg

Ed Wardian

Basenotes Dependent
Oct 28, 2020
By the time the alarm clock strikes my Wednesday dawn, I'll be shortly drifting in Mon Vetiver by Essential Parfums, a safe and sound swig of gin and lime spilling on a Haitian vetiver stalk, eventually shaken and stirred in lavender, encian, juniper and casherman essences, making for a pleasant tonic to coat the Hump day... Yes, I'll be like a vetiver tadpole swimming in a 7-UP puddle, carefree yet strictly mannered in my stroke and in my knickers... And there is absolutely nothing wrong with that!

Wishing everyone a Happy Vetiver Wednesday

Mon Vetiver.jpg

Toxicon

Basenotes Junkie
May 29, 2021
By the time the alarm clock strikes my Wednesday dawn, I'll be shortly drifting in Mon Vetiver by Essential Parfums, a safe and sound swig of gin and lime spilling on a Haitian vetiver stalk, eventually shaken and stirred in lavender, encian, juniper and casherman essences, making for a pleasant tonic to coat the Hump day... Yes, I'll be like a vetiver tadpole swimming in a 7-UP puddle, carefree yet strictly mannered in my stroke and in my knickers... And there is absolutely nothing wrong with that!

Wishing everyone a Happy Vetiver Wednesday

View attachment 235262
I've come very close to pulling the trigger on the Essential Parfums discovery set... mainly for Bois Imperial, the new fig scent, and this one. Given my lack of willpower, I'm sure it will happen soon!

Ed Wardian

Basenotes Dependent
Oct 28, 2020
I've come very close to pulling the trigger on the Essential Parfums discovery set... mainly for Bois Imperial, the new fig scent, and this one. Given my lack of willpower, I'm sure it will happen soon!
Heads-up, Essential Parfums will reimburse you the discovery set price as an e-coupon towards any future full bottle purchase... Dear Toxicon, a sumptuous carrot has been sent your way! Haha!

Toxicon

Basenotes Junkie
May 29, 2021
Synced with Lubin Itasca today. Interesting mix of greenish woods (pine, fir, cedar, juniper), florals (marigold, geranium, and not listed but I think some iris), light spices (nutmeg, whiff of clove), and some mild incense in the base, all centered around a fairly clean vetiver accord that runs through the whole scent. Feels very unisex. Someone mentioned in a review that this touches on classic feminine chypres, and I can see that, though it feels like more of a foresty scent than anything. Great stuff!

31216.jpg

Toxicon

Basenotes Junkie
May 29, 2021
My initial application of Itasca was pretty light, just a few drops from a dabber. Once it quieted down, I re-synced with Guerlain Vetiver for a proper nostril-singeing explosion of vetiver & spice. Still the best.

Last edited:

LiveJazz

Funky fresh
Basenotes Plus
Mar 16, 2006
I'm wearing Haitian vetiver oil, neat.

This displays some really cooling notes up top, almost minty and medicinal in its presentation of green. The oil is thick, like an attar. It's really pleasing and easy to wear.

Not as earthy and swampy as the ruh khus I previously sampled...this is definitely more grassy, green, fresh and summery.

Last edited:

Toxicon

Basenotes Junkie
May 29, 2021
Started the day with Declaration d'un Soir as gorgeous prelude to a proper pre-sync with Declaration EDT, which has "tahitian vetiver" in the base along with cedar, leather, cumin and everything else. The cumin is murderously strong tonight, which I love, but the vetiver isn't shy tonight either. What I love so much about Declaration is how it wears entirely different every time - sometimes it feels clean with a hint of sophisticated spice. Other times it's mean, filthy, loud, like tonight. Feels like a proper statement fragrance, almost avantgarde. Perfectly named for what it is.

(Declaration d'un Soir is every bit as good, but squarely focused on an intense rose note; the spice is there, but it wears much cleaner on my skin. If all goes well, tomorrow I'll wear Declaration Essence, which has the most vetiver to my nose.)

401233-800w.jpg

Cook.bot

Flâneuse
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
If all goes well, tomorrow I'll wear Declaration Essence, which has the most vetiver to my nose.

To mine too, and it's my favorite of all the Declarations. Though I did like the cologne quite a bit and was sorry they axed it. Soir is just too rosey for me.

I don't think the man in that ad photo is an actual human, do you? He looks like a wax statue.

Toxicon

Basenotes Junkie
May 29, 2021
To mine too, and it's my favorite of all the Declarations. Though I did like the cologne quite a bit and was sorry they axed it. Soir is just too rosey for me.

I don't think the man in that ad photo is an actual human, do you? He looks like a wax statue.
I have a theory that people with features like that - who photograph from certain angles like an idealized Adonis - probably look like Dick Tracy villains from any other angle.

I'm sad I never tried Declaration Cologne - it sounds great on paper. The new green flanker doesn't sound like the "fresh" interpretation we were all hoping for, so perhaps I'll have to hunt down a bottle of the Cologne. Looks like they've tried a half dozen versions of "fresh" Declaration but none have really caught on for some reason.

Regarding Soir - I'm surprised I like it as much as I do. Not usually a huge rose fan (with some exceptions like Acteur and vintage Egoiste), but this one wears beautifully on my skin for some reason.

Toxicon

Basenotes Junkie
May 29, 2021
As promised, vetiver day brings a proper sync with Declaration Essence - my favorite of the Declaration line and one of my current favorites generally. Orange blossom, tea, vetiver, a hearty wallop of cumin (strong, but not as dry or BO-like as Declaration EDT), labdanum, and mild leather in the base. It doesn’t have the bright fizzy citrus opening of OG Declaration, nor does the cumin note have that arid BO quality that turns off so many (though cumin haters should steer clear anyway). In general OG Declaration feels bone dry and pungently spicy in a different way; Essence feels darker, rounder, wetter (the vetiver plays into this, I believe), and somehow more vibrant overall. Still quite weird for a mainstream scent! And I love it.

declaration-essence-cartier-edt-spray-34-oz-m-3432240005076_1.jpg

LiveJazz

Funky fresh
Basenotes Plus
Mar 16, 2006
I wore L'Uomo Trussardi (1995) today because I thought it had a vetiver note. Apparently, it does not. Really unique and beautiful scent, though...a dry tomato leaf and herbal accord, with a dry, soft, woody-sweet + hay/tobacco type backbone that really seems like it ought to involve a warm woody vetiver. Maybe it does and it isn't listed, who knows.

In any case, I'm synced in spirit!

PStoller

I’m not old, I’m vintage.
Basenotes Plus
Aug 1, 2019
My SyncOTD will be PK Perfumes - Maderas de Oriente Oscuro. It’s the last of my current sample batch, saved for today because of its vetiver note (although reviews say it’s mostly about smoked woods and tobacco).

The reviews had it right, but if Paul Kiler says there's vetiver, then there's vetiver, dagnabbit.

Last edited:

Cook.bot

Flâneuse
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
I have a theory that people with features like that - who photograph from certain angles like an idealized Adonis - probably look like Dick Tracy villains from any other angle.

🤣

I wore L'Uomo Trussardi (1995) today because I thought it had a vetiver note. Apparently, it does not.

Then haul your non-vetiver-wearing-ass out of here, you poser, and take your tobacco-scented pixels with you!

Toxicon

Basenotes Junkie
May 29, 2021
Sync round 2: Tauer L'air du Desert Marocain. Not really a vetiver scent, but it's there in the base. There's a faint continuity with the Declaration Essence I was wearing earlier due to the labdanum and intense spices (like cumin) in both, though they feel like completely different scents. I still don't quite know how to classify LADDM. It feels like a spicy amber, but the opening is almost medicinal or camphoraceous, and I'm not sure what notes are responsible for that. I think I can faintly pick out the vetiver in the base, but it's not dominant. Anyway, I love this one and need a full bottle.

31401.jpg

Latest News