Vetiver Wednesdays Sync: an invitation to a magical journey

Ed Wardian

Basenotes Dependent
Oct 28, 2020
I'm syncing with the evocative Palais Jamais by Etro; an earthy green vibe that emphasizes a fresh coupling of a jasmine sambac note in maté absolute, alongside parched birch seasoned in a herby sage/pepper shake, laid out on a grand bed of vetiver and moss, that surely puts the vegetal spring in my animal fever. Simply, this is a smoky, green herbaceous hay I imagine Mother Gaia and husband/son Uranus romping through... Truly a pasture of rapture!

Happy Vetiver Wednesday everyone!

Palais Jamais.jpg

Toxicon

Basenotes Junkie
May 29, 2021
Syncing with Escentric 03. Heat and humidity call for bright and tangy above all else. Lime, ginger, tea, and vetiver, plus some gentle leather in the base. It's not a masterpiece, but I'm glad to own it.

escentric-molecules-escentric-03-refill-en.jpg

Ed Wardian

Basenotes Dependent
Oct 28, 2020
'Tis another week to mark a classic, Vétiver by Guerlain ... A vetiver standard that not only satisfies a citrus barbershop whim of past and present, but also a wacky dry tobacco accord spruced in ole fashioned fare of coriander and nutmeg... Simply a fresh, clean, class of grass that appeals to the washed, to the vegetal, to the botanical and once upon a time to the animal... Wishing everyone a Happy Vetiver Wednesday!

Guerlain Vetiver.jpg

Cook.bot

Flâneuse
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
I'm killing two birds with one stone today: joining the vetiver sync and honoring Queen Elizabeth's Platinum Jubilee celebration. Seventy years in the same job is nothing to sneeze at.

Prince de Galles Sport (1997) by Marcel Bur Parfums

A very citrussy vetiver that works like a cologne. I think this might have actually been named for the Prince of Wales Hotel in Paris, but what the heck, it's all in the family.

PrinceDeGallesSport.jpg

LiveJazz

Funky fresh
Basenotes Plus
Mar 16, 2006
I'm killing two birds with one stone today: joining the vetiver sync and honoring Queen Elizabeth's Platinum Jubilee celebration. Seventy years in the same job is nothing to sneeze at.

Prince de Galles Sport (1997) by Marcel Bur Parfums

A very citrussy vetiver that works like a cologne. I think this might have actually been named for the Prince of Wales Hotel in Paris, but what the heck, it's all in the family.

View attachment 228759
How did this one come into your life?

I’m always curious about the backstory of how folks came across relatively unknown or forgotten scents like this.

Cook.bot

Flâneuse
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
How did this one come into your life?

I’m always curious about the backstory of how folks came across relatively unknown or forgotten scents like this.

@Diddy turned me onto it, bless his swampy little heart. It's a tremendous bargain too, and was discontinued before it ever had a chance to get reformulated. I've never tried the original (non-sport) EDT version, but I'll bet it's also a vetiver concoction.

Diddy

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Oct 14, 2015
@Diddy turned me onto it, bless his swampy little heart. It's a tremendous bargain too, and was discontinued before it ever had a chance to get reformulated. I've never tried the original (non-sport) EDT version, but I'll bet it's also a vetiver concoction.
You know, swamp water gets so stinky sometimes that nearly anything smells better! 😂🤣 Vetiver and sparkling citrus shine with that fragrance in my climate. Glad you enjoy!

Toxicon

Basenotes Junkie
May 29, 2021
I was sniffing the cap of my Papillon Dryad sample and accidentally dabbed my nose, so now I suppose I'm wearing Dryad. Thankfully there's vetiver in the base, so all is well.

This one is rich, radiant, classically beautiful - a kaleidoscope of green and gold floral notes in what I gather is a traditional chypre structure. The notes list is so overstuffed it makes me want to sneeze: "Top notes are Galbanum, Clary Sage, Tarragon, Thyme, Citron, Bergamot and Bitter Orange; middle notes are Narcissus, Orris Root, Costus, Orange Blossom, Apricot and Lavender; base notes are Oakmoss, Vetiver, Benzoin, Styrax and Peru Balsam." There's way too much going for me to pick out the vetiver, but it's a stunning combination nonetheless.

26148187-7095-j

Toxicon

Basenotes Junkie
May 29, 2021
Properly synced with Comme des Garcons Black, after receiving a generous decant from a very generous basenoter.

Fantastic scent, probably the best CdG I've tried. It's an explosion of "black" themed smells: black pepper, incense, smoke, dark vetiver, licorice, burnt rubber, with a healthy dose of sweetness in the base. Total oddball, but weirdly easy to wear. Reminds me of something like a less austere, more playful Jacomo de Jacomo. The vetiver gets a bit stronger as the swirl of spices gradually dries down. Lovely. (I need a full bottle!)

25685_ba4e324db5b1a27e9f0f810610d7022e_black_comme_des_garcons.jpg

Ed Wardian

Basenotes Dependent
Oct 28, 2020
Today's sync is with Cacharel pour L'Homme by Cacharel, a fashionably pronounced nutmeg whiff, wrapped in floral and zesty citruses that bounce on an earthy woody base comprised of cool fir, sharp cedar, and our dear tasty vetiver, crinkled in moss, amber and musk that collectively summon the phantom drift of an oily suede fume emanating from a spicy bed of flowers, particularly carnation and geranium... Truly, a beguiling beauty from the great Gerard Goupy (Magie Noire, Climat, Balfre)...

Cacharel pour l'homme.jpg

Toxicon

Basenotes Junkie
May 29, 2021
Today's sync is with Cacharel pour L'Homme by Cacharel, a fashionably pronounced nutmeg whiff, wrapped in floral and zesty citruses that bounce on an earthy woody base comprised of cool fir, sharp cedar, and our dear tasty vetiver, crinkled in moss, amber and musk that collectively summon the phantom drift of an oily suede fume emanating from a spicy bed of flowers, particularly carnation and geranium... Truly, a beguiling beauty from the great Gerard Goupy (Magie Noire, Climat, Balfre)...

View attachment 231846
I'm obsessed with this one. It's even become my go-to vacation perfume, usually the only bottle I bring and the only thing I wear while traveling. Wore it for 5 days straight last week!

lfc1892

Dec 12, 2021

View attachment 231846
Oh my god I used to love this stuff. Goes for peanuts nowadays so nah gran a bottle. Think was the first scent I ever bought.

Toxicon

Basenotes Junkie
May 29, 2021
I’m soooooo new to vetiver that I often get it confused with cedar. Soooo
A - is this normal!?
B - can I join the sync with my cedar scent that smells like vetiver to me!?
I can see that - they're both woody scents at the end of the day, often blended together among base notes. A lot of fragrances in my collection include both notes: Encre Noire, Terre d'Hermes, Fahrenheit, 1828, my beloved L'occitane Eau de Vetyver, Sycomore...

Anyway, join us!

Latest News