Vetiver fragrances inventory: under-the-radar

Apr 27, 2020
Has anyone tried Portrait of New York: Vetiver by Ralph Lauren? There's an entry in the database for it but no comments. Notes list is limited, but sounds intriguing!

Top Notes: Black pepper
Heart Notes: Green cardamom
Base notes: Haitian vetiver

Andy the frenchy

Sep 16, 2018
Dignified by House of sillage

surprised that no one mentioned it. A wonderful spicy woody vetiver.

Added, thanks!

Has anyone tried Portrait of New York: Vetiver by Ralph Lauren? There's an entry in the database for it but no comments. Notes list is limited, but sounds intriguing!

Top Notes: Black pepper
Heart Notes: Green cardamom
Base notes: Haitian vetiver

I saw that one, but never tried it. I haven't added it to the list as I try to limit it to fragrances that are currently available at normal pricing (no vintage ebay unicorns).
Thanks anyways!

Apr 27, 2020
I saw that one, but never tried it. I haven't added it to the list as I try to limit it to fragrances that are currently available at normal pricing (no vintage ebay unicorns).
Thanks anyways!
I'm not sure we're talking about the same one -- or perhaps a re-release? The one I found is currently for sale on macys.com, in fact it's on sale for 15% off and now comes in at ~$160. Still not cheap, but definitely niche-realm pricing. I'm not going to be taking the plunge on this one, but was hoping someone had tried it.

Andy the frenchy

Sep 16, 2018
I'm not sure we're talking about the same one -- or perhaps a re-release? The one I found is currently for sale on macys.com, in fact it's on sale for 15% off and now comes in at ~$160. Still not cheap, but definitely niche-realm pricing. I'm not going to be taking the plunge on this one, but was hoping someone had tried it.

My bad! I missed this one, and it's now added to the list. Thank you for puting it on my radar.
Wow... indeed $160 for 50ml of Ralph Lauren sounds a bit steep, but who knows... I'm also looking forward to hear opinions on that one!

TRBeck

May 27, 2008
If you wanted to add a description of the Proraso Cypress & Vetiver, here's how I perceive it:

an EDC-strength rendition of Encre Noire. The drydown is where the differences are most notable, with the cashmeran-musk base accord being much richer and more durable in Encre Noire; the two scents are priced nearly identically as of now, so perhaps redundant, but pleasant enough

ThVH

Mar 13, 2020
Has Heeley‘s Vetiver Veritas been mentioned yet? Pretty much only vetiver, the lavender and mint opening can be a little weird, but the vetiver note is beautiful (darker variety) and the grapefruit *base* is pretty special imo. You‘re sitting there, having forgotten about the scent, and then, after hours, it‘s like — all vetiver gone, here‘s a nice grapefruit! Super unusual shapeshifter and much fun.

Apr 27, 2020
My bad! I missed this one, and it's now added to the list. Thank you for puting it on my radar.
Wow... indeed $160 for 50ml of Ralph Lauren sounds a bit steep, but who knows... I'm also looking forward to hear opinions on that one!

No worries at all Andy, I don't know how one can possibly keep track of such a myriad of fragrances! It's actually 100mL, and I have a gift card from there....hmmm....

Andy the frenchy

Sep 16, 2018
If you wanted to add a description of the Proraso Cypress & Vetiver, here's how I perceive it:

an EDC-strength rendition of Encre Noire. The drydown is where the differences are most notable, with the cashmeran-musk base accord being much richer and more durable in Encre Noire; the two scents are priced nearly identically as of now, so perhaps redundant, but pleasant enough

Added, thanks!

Not sure if these were already mentioned

Liquorice Vetiver
Symphonie Passion
Allegretto 7.2

The latter 2 are listed. I should retry these at the next opportunity.
That said, I try to keep this list to fragrances that are currently available to buy, without prohibitive prices. Given that, I did not add Liquorice Vetiver, since it appears that Sven Pritzkoleit has ceased its perfume activity. See HERE
In any cases, thank you for your contribution, and if there is something missing, please do not hesitate to let me know!

Has Heeley‘s Vetiver Veritas been mentioned yet? Pretty much only vetiver, the lavender and mint opening can be a little weird, but the vetiver note is beautiful (darker variety) and the grapefruit *base* is pretty special imo. You‘re sitting there, having forgotten about the scent, and then, after hours, it‘s like — all vetiver gone, here‘s a nice grapefruit! Super unusual shapeshifter and much fun.

Oh yes, in the very first ones! A real gem!

No worries at all Andy, I don't know how one can possibly keep track of such a myriad of fragrances! It's actually 100mL, and I have a gift card from there....hmmm....

Well... I have to say that the Ctrl+F function helps a lot haha
Oh, my bad again! Then for 100ml it sounds decent pricing. If you happen to buy it, I'd appreciate if you could provide your impressions in details. Please let us know!

woodnotes55

Oct 27, 2016
Happened to pick up Cartier Vetiver Blue recently. Seems it was mentioned on one of the earliest posts and not again since then. I find it more a blended vetiver scent then a vetiver-forward style but it's a very interesting scent. I'm liking it a lot but I expect it's a bit like Roadster and for every person that really likes it there will be at least one if not more that don't like it. But for those that do it's quite nice.

The original summary says like Declaration, but it's more like the weakest notes from Declaration are present then it's "like" it, no strong pepper, birch, orange..... I guess I would summarize more as "a well blended fragrance with some unusual notes where the vetiver is center but not out front".... and it's not "blue" in any way really.

Anyone else try this?

Cook.bot

Common Lackey
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
Hard to believe there could be anything still missing from this massive list, but my Ctrl+F efforts didn't give me any mentions of Prince de Galles Sport by Marcel Bur. A vetiver in the style of light/refreshing/grassy. Nothing dark or rooty here.

Not sure if it's still in production, but it's easy to find on eBay and cheap as chips. I think it might have some association with the Prince de Galles hotel in Paris, but don't quote me on that.

51e-E2LuxkL._SY300_QL70_ML2_.jpg

Redneck Perfumisto

League of Cycloöctadiene Isomer Aestheticists
Basenotes Plus
Feb 27, 2008
Thymes Vetiver Rosewood (2019) is an interesting one I got on clearance. Strong cologne vibe, a bit femme, vetiver is neither prominent nor shy - just perking along in the background. The musks make it clean, friendly and persistent, but not so strong as to ruin the cologne feel, thus a bit like Chanel Eau de Cologne, but neither as classically beautiful nor as extroverted. It feels a bit intimately feminine, but not like a feminine product. Feels VERY "Thymes" without seeming like a room spray, but it ALMOST goes there. Worth keeping, but not buying at full price for me.

Thymes_Vetiver_Rosewood.jpg

Toxicon

May 29, 2021
Chiming in with a quick take on L'occitane's Eau de Vetyver: Not a pure vetiver scent, but a woody and lightly spicy blend of vetiver, cypress, nutmeg, and cedar. Strikes a greenish-brown "autumn" vibe but works in any season. (Sadly discontinued.)

Thanks for maintaining this thread, Andy!

Andy the frenchy

Sep 16, 2018
Chiming in with a quick take on L'occitane's Eau de Vetyver: Not a pure vetiver scent, but a woody and lightly spicy blend of vetiver, cypress, nutmeg, and cedar. Strikes a greenish-brown "autumn" vibe but works in any season. (Sadly discontinued.)

Thanks for maintaining this thread, Andy!

That's great... that said I didn't get that it was discontinued, and after a quick research, there are only a few bottles available at unicorn prices on ebay... I try to keep this thread with frags that are currently available at regular prices, or at least on ebay for normal prices... Given that, I decided to delete it :(

Still, I appreciate a lot your feedback, and will try to smell that one if I get a chance! Thanks!

Andy the frenchy

Sep 16, 2018
Hard to believe there could be anything still missing from this massive list, but my Ctrl+F efforts didn't give me any mentions of Prince de Galles Sport by Marcel Bur. A vetiver in the style of light/refreshing/grassy. Nothing dark or rooty here.

Not sure if it's still in production, but it's easy to find on eBay and cheap as chips. I think it might have some association with the Prince de Galles hotel in Paris, but don't quote me on that.

51e-E2LuxkL._SY300_QL70_ML2_.jpg

Indeed, cheap on ebay. I'll trust your word that it's a vetiver centric scent, as I couldn;t find any info on that one. Thanks Cookbot!

Andy the frenchy

Sep 16, 2018
Thymes Vetiver Rosewood (2019) is an interesting one I got on clearance. Strong cologne vibe, a bit femme, vetiver is neither prominent nor shy - just perking along in the background. The musks make it clean, friendly and persistent, but not so strong as to ruin the cologne feel, thus a bit like Chanel Eau de Cologne, but neither as classically beautiful nor as extroverted. It feels a bit intimately feminine, but not like a feminine product. Feels VERY "Thymes" without seeming like a room spray, but it ALMOST goes there. Worth keeping, but not buying at full price for me.

Thank you for sharing your thought on that one, it's added to the list (with a short summary of your impression).

Le Vetiver Itasca by Lubin
Le Vetiver Bluff by Lubin
Le Vetiver by Lubin

Thanks Jake! Le Vetiver and Itasca were already present, but I added Bluff which was not. Any impressions on these 3?

JakeStiebs

Smell Good, Feel Good
Basenotes Plus
Dec 26, 2010
Thank you for sharing your thought on that one, it's added to the list (with a short summary of your impression).

Thanks Jake! Le Vetiver and Itasca were already present, but I added Bluff which was not. Any impressions on these 3?
Unfortunately, I haven't tried the Le Vetiver, but from the reviews I have read it seems like a solid vetiver. Itasca is earthy and refreshing with a lot of complexity. Bluff is very intriguing, with some creaminess and lime added in there, I love it.

Toxicon

May 29, 2021
That's great... that said I didn't get that it was discontinued, and after a quick research, there are only a few bottles available at unicorn prices on ebay... I try to keep this thread with frags that are currently available at regular prices, or at least on ebay for normal prices... Given that, I decided to delete it :(

Still, I appreciate a lot your feedback, and will try to smell that one if I get a chance! Thanks!

The curse of discontinuation strikes again!

No worries, Andy. Hope you get to try it some day!

LiveJazz

Funky fresh
Basenotes Plus
Mar 16, 2006
Just read it. Sounds like a “Goldilocks vetiver.”

It is for me anyway. I’m leaning toward getting a bottle, as I do think this could serve as my reference vetiver. It seems free of a “theme,” and mainly just smells like a really great, sort of neutral, full vetiver accord. Really showcases the material.

Last edited:

Andy the frenchy

Sep 16, 2018
Chanel No.19 parfum is a hidden vetiver gem. Sublime trio of vetiver, galbanum and iris.

Not sure how I could forget to list No.19, as it is one of my favourite fragrances... My personal preference goes to the EDT, which I find totally unisex (as opposed to the other 3 flankers) and in which I find the vetiver note to be the most noticeable. But the Parfum gives a beautiful opulence to this fragrance, and all 4 are beautiful imo (except maybe the Poudre', that I find 'just' good).
Thank you for this well-needed reminder!

Toxicon

May 29, 2021
Since I'm wearing a sample today and detecting lots of vetiver vibes, I'll suggest adding the modern iteration of Guerlain Homme EDP (the current pillar frag). Primarily a mojito scent up top, it resolves into a beautifully smooth patchouli/vetiver, with the vetiver taking over as it dries down. Less of an obvious "vetiver" scent than L'Eau Boisee, I find the EDP to be better blended, with better performance on my skin. (Boisee's ISO E overload always blows out my nose).

Edited to add: I suppose this might be what ClaireV and others call a "bullshit vetiver", like Timbuktu or Terre d'Hermes, where vetiver is a key element but not necessarily dominant.

Brian5701

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 28, 2009
The new limited edition Diptyque Kyoto has a pretty strong vetiver note. I would sample and/or purchase ASAP as their limited editions do sell out fast.

cheapimitation

May 15, 2015
Ooh, I'll have to try that one.

After what seems like years of thinking about it, I finally bought Malle Vetiver Extraordinaire. Awhile ago I finished a 10ml that I must have bought 6-7 years ago. I always liked it but it feels like a very "work horse" type fragrance. Like buying underwear, it's not very exciting but you know you'll use it.

But having tried many other vetiver focused fragrances since, I keep coming back to the Malle.

Has anyone mentioned Chanel No. 19? The parfum of No. 19 is my latest obsession and to me the dry down is all vetiver. The EDT is all about the burst of sharp galbanum landing on a soft cloud of iris, the EDP adds depth with rose and some vetiver to extend the base. But it feels like the foundation of the parfum is a beautiful vetiver that lasts and lasts.

The new limited edition Diptyque Kyoto has a pretty strong vetiver note. I would sample and/or purchase ASAP as their limited editions do sell out fast.

Andy the frenchy

Sep 16, 2018
Since I'm wearing a sample today and detecting lots of vetiver vibes, I'll suggest adding the modern iteration of Guerlain Homme EDP (the current pillar frag). Primarily a mojito scent up top, it resolves into a beautifully smooth patchouli/vetiver, with the vetiver taking over as it dries down. Less of an obvious "vetiver" scent than L'Eau Boisee, I find the EDP to be better blended, with better performance on my skin. (Boisee's ISO E overload always blows out my nose).

Edited to add: I suppose this might be what ClaireV and others call a "bullshit vetiver", like Timbuktu or Terre d'Hermes, where vetiver is a key element but not necessarily dominant.

I agree that it's not vetiver centric, but indeed, the base has some. A bit too sweet for my tastes, and I personally prefer L'Eau Boisee, but for sure the EDP is an interesting one.
I added it to the list, thanks!

Added! I think that the pink bottle is the limited edition... my guess is that it will be released in the clear bottle right after that, without any changes to the juice. Looking forward to try that one!

Mr. Vetiver by Une Nuit Nomade is pretty good.

Never heard about that one. Thank you for putting it on the radar!

After what seems like years of thinking about it, I finally bought Malle Vetiver Extraordinaire. Awhile ago I finished a 10ml that I must have bought 6-7 years ago. I always liked it but it feels like a very "work horse" type fragrance. Like buying underwear, it's not very exciting but you know you'll use it.

But having tried many other vetiver focused fragrances since, I keep coming back to the Malle.

Has anyone mentioned Chanel No. 19? The parfum of No. 19 is my latest obsession and to me the dry down is all vetiver. The EDT is all about the burst of sharp galbanum landing on a soft cloud of iris, the EDP adds depth with rose and some vetiver to extend the base. But it feels like the foundation of the parfum is a beautiful vetiver that lasts and lasts.

Malle is a very nice floral/woody fragrance with a very noticeable vetiver, but I keep thinking that the star of the show is a creamy cedar in the base, more than the vetiver. Anyways, very nice and easy to wear, signature worthy!

Yes, the 4 versions of Chanel No.19 are now in the list. I own and love the EDT, although my favourite is the EDP (but a bit too feminine for me to wear).

deltasun

Jun 12, 2017
After finally getting a bottle of Dior Vetiver (was living on a sample for a while), it has risen to the top (almost) for me. I think I still prefer Roja's by a slight margin, but I'm really enjoying the Dior every time I wear it. They're different enough in execution that they may be co-champions.

Apr 27, 2020
Found a small bottle of the new Lanvin Vetyver at the local mall the other day. Definitely a clean, soapy scent with the "dusty" aspect of vetiver similar to the Givenchy classic. For me, I get the vetiver aspect right at the opening, and it fades more quickly than I would expect. A very pleasant wear, but nothing groundbreaking.

Also wanted to make a case for Cacharel pour l'homme. Yes, this is primarily a nutmeg fragrance, but for me, I get a bit of a grassy/vetiver edge in the dry down. I suppose this would probably fall under the "BS vetiver" category, or perhaps I'll wait for your nutmeg/spice thread to start!

cheapimitation

May 15, 2015
Oops, I totally missed your post which is just a couple above mine. Nice to see someone else is on the same page about No. 19 though!

A quick tip while I'm here, the parfum often shows as "backorder" on the Chanel site and is nearly impossible to find in any stores. I went ahead and ordered anyway, and just about 20 days later it came! I also I looked up the batch code and it really is brand spanking new, the batch code says August 2021.

Chanel No.19 parfum is a hidden vetiver gem. Sublime trio of vetiver, galbanum and iris.

Andy the frenchy

Sep 16, 2018
Found a small bottle of the new Lanvin Vetyver at the local mall the other day. Definitely a clean, soapy scent with the "dusty" aspect of vetiver similar to the Givenchy classic. For me, I get the vetiver aspect right at the opening, and it fades more quickly than I would expect. A very pleasant wear, but nothing groundbreaking.

Also wanted to make a case for Cacharel pour l'homme. Yes, this is primarily a nutmeg fragrance, but for me, I get a bit of a grassy/vetiver edge in the dry down. I suppose this would probably fall under the "BS vetiver" category, or perhaps I'll wait for your nutmeg/spice thread to start!

Lucky you! Do you mean Vetyver (2003) with the green juice, or Vetyver Blanc (2011) in the clear bottle with black and white label?

CpH is simple, but stunning. And I agree that there is a vetiver edge in the drydown, but not one I'd called a vetiver-centric fragrance. My spice thread has already started, but not in a 'list' style, just a regular one: HERE you go! haha

Latest News