Vetiver fragrances inventory: under-the-radar

motorcade

Dec 21, 2020
Etro Palais Jamais is beautiful, quite unique and one of the few fragrances I have a backup of. It doesn't smell anything like the more straightforward vetivers (such as Etro Vetiver or Guerlain Vetiver).

Andy the frenchy

Sep 16, 2018
Late to the party but would like to share my 10 favorite vetiver fragrances, I have full bottles of all of them. I mention the perfume name/house name/concentration/year of release/description/price in MSRP. All descriptions are based on my personal olfactory perception, listed perfume/in chronological order of release year (latest first), one you can get cheaper (see below):

1. Vetu de Vert (Motif Olfactif) Extrait/2019: Greenest vetiver, bright and uplifting, done by Mr. Oz who is reviewer/perfumer- $70 for 50 ml sale price now ($1.4 per ml)
2. Mon Vetiver (Essential Parfums) EDP/2018: Classy vetiver, hidden gem, super classy- $75 for 100ml ($0.75 per ml)
3. Vetiver Insolent (Miller Harris) EDP/2016: Sweet vetiver, to me perfectly honeyed but not cloying, another hidden gem, cheaper at discounters- $154 for 100 ml ($1.54 per ml)
4. Vetiver Royal Bourbon (Oriza Legrand) EDP/2014: Boozy vetiver, super elegant, vintage vibe but not outdated- $125 for 100 ml ($1.25 per ml)
5. Vetiver Veritas (Heeley) EDP/2014: Photorealistic vetiver, beautiful- $195 for 50 ml ($3.9 per ml)
6. Bond-T (Sammarco) Extrait/2013: Chocolaty vetiver, awesome cacao-infused vetiver with mazing spice, masterpiece to me- $150 for 30 ml ($3 per ml)
7. Sultan Vetiver (Nishane) Extrait/2013: Lush vetiver, luxurious and juicy, top quality, A Masterpiece- Hard pressed to choose one this would be it for me- $175 for 50ml ($3.5 per ml)
8. Athunis (Sigilli) EDP/2010: Smoky vetiver, powerful, dark, impossible to find, got mine from Italy- $185 for 100ml ($1.85 per ml)
9. Akanesasu (Di Ser) EDP/2000: Floral vetiver, gorgeous blend of vetiver and jasmine- $100 for 33 ml ($3 per ml)
10. Fumidus (Profumvm Roma) EDP/1996: Somber vetiver, and melancholic, thick smoke and booze, hard to wear yet addictive and meditative, WEAR IF YOU DARE- $265 for 100 ml ($2.65 per ml)

Spread the Fragrant Love

Great list, and several I've never heard about! Damn... I promise myself to slow down on purchae in 2021... I guess I won't manage to keep my word haha
Vetu de Vert is stunning, I open my full bottle (blind buy) 1 week ago!

Gruffalodin

Sep 27, 2020
Great list, and several I've never heard about! Damn... I promise myself to slow down on purchae in 2021... I guess I won't manage to keep my word haha
Vetu de Vert is stunning, I open my full bottle (blind buy) 1 week ago!

Agreed on Vetu de Vert, I bought few bottles with that unbeatable price. To me, it captures the essence of green vetiver and should have been the natural evolution of Guerlain's Vetiver in the year 2019.

bolocko

May 29, 2020
For Andy and the vetiver-focused, Le Jardin Retrouve is offering sample sets for just the price of shipping (3 euros). The third one includes Bois Tabac Virginia, which I think is quite lovely and worth testing: https://lejardinretrouve.com/en/content/66-our-free-discovery-sets

The set in question includes:
Bois Tabac Virginia "a woody Eau de Parfum, built around notes of smoked vetiver and a background of delicate and round tobacco"

Cuir de Russie: "evocative storytelling, unusual composition, the allure of something hard to find. Leather and violets" Jessica

Sandalwood Sacré:"it is my absolute favorite, very mild, powdery and tender." Nadine

Andy the frenchy

Sep 16, 2018

PureAroma

Feb 4, 2021
Woody Perfecto 107 Parle Moi de Parfum is something I adore... had a sample of this
Then Criminal elements Vertigo (now this has been reformulated to Vigour)
Recently Tried Ushira from Parfums Karmic Hues, great zesty opening with a nice vetiver drydown

Andy the frenchy

Sep 16, 2018
I haven't seen listed Bois Tabac Virginia by Le Jardin Retrouve

It's on there, in the 'Some others I heard about, but never tried' list, somewhat near the bottom.

For Andy and the vetiver-focused, Le Jardin Retrouve is offering sample sets for just the price of shipping (3 euros). The third one includes Bois Tabac Virginia, which I think is quite lovely and worth testing: https://lejardinretrouve.com/en/content/66-our-free-discovery-sets

The set in question includes:

Thank you both for bringing my attention on Bois Tabac Virginia. I received the sample set, and moved it inot the section of vetiver fragrances I know.
Maaaannnn..... I did not think I could still be stunned for a vetiver fragrance after owning 50+ bottles of vetiver....

Some facets of Malle VE and MdO Vetyver.... and great performance never hurts! wow! wow! wow! Highly recommended.

Off topic: I've tried Sandalwood Sacre', it's quite good, but leans feminine and very little sandalwood to my nose. Cuir de Russie still in queue.

bolocko

May 29, 2020
Looks like D.S. & Durga has a new one called St. Vetyver: https://dsanddurga.com/products/st-vetyver

St. Vetyver is a robust cologne. A high quality vision of vetyver set amongst Caribbean plants and objects. It pays homage to the famous Caribbean colognes of sailors and lovers of the sea. Pure aged distillate of Haitian vetyver is expanded with sweet notes of cane plant and spiced rhum. Fresh island grass and tropical citrus complete an elegant symphonic perfume. It’s classic DSD–old world updated to modern tastes.

TOP: sour orange, pink pepper, sea grass
HEART: cane, clove leaf, tequila straw
BASE: vetyver, breadnut, rhum agricole

RedRaider430

You smell good! 😄
Basenotes Plus
Dec 18, 2011
Hi Andy.....I just ordered a vetiver fragrance blindly. It's from a niche house I've become familiar with called Noble Royale. I didn't see it in your list.

The name of the fragrance is called Majestueux Vetiver. I'm putting off opening it until I get a sample of it somewhere, but it's supposed to be grand.

hednic is the only one I've seen mention it here.

Andy the frenchy

Sep 16, 2018
Hi Andy.....I just ordered a vetiver fragrance blindly. It's from a niche house I've become familiar with called Noble Royale. I didn't see it in your list.

The name of the fragrance is called Majestueux Vetiver. I'm putting off opening it until I get a sample of it somewhere, but it's supposed to be grand.

hednic is the only one I've seen mention it here.

Thanks for the info, I added it! I'd appreciate if you could let me know your first impressions when you'll get it, so we can add a short description. Thanks!

bolocko

May 29, 2020
Reposting what I said about it in the Vetiver Chit-chat thread:

Regarding D.S. & Durga's Cowboy Grass, I've had it go two ways. It opens with strong sage, follows up with thyme (hope you love thyme) and other green somewhat medicinal herbal notes, and over time the grassy vetiver really stands out in a manner similar to Guerlain L'Eau Boisee, but more dry---extremely dry. It's very evocative. On some occasions I've worn it (warmer), the vetiver has gotten a touch too sour (my partner agreed: really enjoyed the opening, but felt it turned flat and stale as it progressed). On others (cooler), it's has kept quite balanced throughout, and the thyme really stuck around. In either case, it's still present as a skin scent at least ten hours later. My nose is pretty poor and inexperienced, though, so YMMV.

Anaz

Mar 15, 2021
Byerley by Parfums de Marly

Starts off earthy, dirty and transitions to a woody, smoky dry-down. My favorite earthy vetiver - IMO the dry-down is more intense and smokier than Encre Noire. (I haven't tried Sycomore).

Just found this thread (still reading) and as a result have Essence No. 6 Vetiver on my radar - how does it compare to Vetiver Extraordinaire?

The_Cologneist

Feb 27, 2010

Starts off earthy, dirty and transitions to a woody, smoky dry-down. My favorite earthy vetiver - IMO the dry-down is more intense and smokier than Encre Noire. (I haven't tried Sycomore).

Just found this thread (still reading) and as a result have Essence No. 6 Vetiver on my radar - how does it compare to Vetiver Extraordinaire?

Never tried Vetiver Extraordinaire, but Saab Vetiver is a bit powdery in the opening, which I don't like, but the dry down is nice. Overall though, I don't care for it. Perhaps it can pass as a "formal vetiver" Fragnet used to sell bottles for about 30 bucks, not sure if they still do.

Anaz

Mar 15, 2021
Never tried Vetiver Extraordinaire, but Saab Vetiver is a bit powdery in the opening, which I don't like, but the dry down is nice. Overall though, I don't care for it. Perhaps it can pass as a "formal vetiver" Fragnet used to sell bottles for about 30 bucks, not sure if they still do.

Thanks for the insight, and like you, I probably wouldn't enjoy a powdery opening. VE is the only Vetiver I know with cloves, but VE has more base notes listed so I may have been grasping at straws for a comparison.

Taskphorce01

Mar 18, 2013
My go to Vetivers:

NeroUno by Montegrappa
Kenzo Air Intense
Vetiver Spice by Bella Bellissima
Jangala by Pierre Guillaume
Akanesasu by DI SER
Akabir Pour Homme by ASAQ
Tonic Vert by Thomas Kosmala
Ormonde Jayne Man
M. Micallef The Exception No. 1
Vetiver 26 by Le Labo

I’m always hunting for an excellent Vetiver scent. :thumbsup:

The_Cologneist

Feb 27, 2010
I can't get over what a fantastic vetiver Dana Vetiver is, at its price. It's very very similar to Guerlain Vetiver. I can't compare and contrast right now unless I do a side by side, which I may do one day, but they are damn close. I'd call it a textbook vetiver, for those new to wanting to try this wonderful note, Dana Vetiver would be a good choice to get a grasp on the many facets of the note. I got my bottle for 10 bucks about a year ago, but now the cheapest I am finding is around 20-21, which I still think is a good deal, since Guerlain's will get you about have that amount for a little more.

Andy the frenchy

Sep 16, 2018

PdM Byerley is still one I have to try (although my experience with PdM has been disappointing until now, but I will try anyways whatever has vetiver listed haha).
Saab Vetiver No.6 is a sparkling fresh green/grassy vetiver, with a noticeable powdery note and a hint of cloves, overall very unisex. It is modlifting,it smells of sunny days, with a small breeze, very relaxing. It has unisex facet that might deter some, but I think that for the price (~$60/100ml onlline) it is unbeatable for that quality, and still doesn't fall into clearly fruity-feminine territory like Byredo Bal d'Afrique might fall into, for example. But if you look for something deeply masuline/dark with earthy/woody/smoky facets, look elsewhere.

Agreed, it has a powdery facet. Still, I pull it easily, and find it very elegant.

Nishane Sultan Vetiver is amazing.

Agreed!

My go to Vetivers:

NeroUno by Montegrappa
Kenzo Air Intense
Vetiver Spice by Bella Bellissima
Jangala by Pierre Guillaume
Akanesasu by DI SER
Akabir Pour Homme by ASAQ
Tonic Vert by Thomas Kosmala
Ormonde Jayne Man
M. Micallef The Exception No. 1
Vetiver 26 by Le Labo

I’m always hunting for an excellent Vetiver scent. :thumbsup:

So do I, and thank you for these amazing suggestions - this is what I call 'under-the-radar' (and that I dig!). I added the ones that were missing in my list (that is: half of your suggestions), except for Ormonde Man, that I would describe more as a cedar fragrance than ventiver centric. Thank you for your help!

I can't get over what a fantastic vetiver Dana Vetiver is, at its price. It's very very similar to Guerlain Vetiver. I can't compare and contrast right now unless I do a side by side, which I may do one day, but they are damn close. I'd call it a textbook vetiver, for those new to wanting to try this wonderful note, Dana Vetiver would be a good choice to get a grasp on the many facets of the note. I got my bottle for 10 bucks about a year ago, but now the cheapest I am finding is around 20-21, which I still think is a good deal, since Guerlain's will get you about have that amount for a little more.

Sounds like another to-blind-buy frag for me.... oh Mannnnn..... thanks for the rec ;)
On a side note, you can find a 100ml tester of Guerlain for under $30, in case you need!

Nobody in this thread has named Borsari yet, so—Borsari. Wore it today for the first time. Not a performance monster, but an old-school beauty with a heavenly skin-scent drydown.

Never heard about that one. I guess you are referring to Mirra e Anice Stellato by Borsari, right?
Thank you Pstoller, it's added!

Latest News