Vanity Sizing

lair77

Jun 7, 2022
Vanity sizing is when clothes are larger than the size stated. It's happened with womens clothes for a while, but it became increasingly common with mens clothes too over the years. Common to the point where it's the norm to expect. There are probably more clothes that are vanity sized than aren't.

For example, Size 34 pants are often actually 36 inches. And if they have stretch, a size 34 could accommodate a 40" waist. Or a size Large might actually be more like what a XL used to be decades ago.

I dislike this practice. It not only misleads people, but it encourages a culture of dishonesty. This means that when a company is honest with people about the size, they get frustrated. People may think the clothes run too small, when in reality, it's the accurate size.

lair77

Jun 7, 2022
A factor of this is the % of the population that's overweight or obese has gone up the past few decades. Overweight is the new norm. Someone carrying an 30-40 extra pounds would've been considered fat in 1980. But today, they're considered average because most people do.

cazaubon

Basenotes Plus
Jan 1, 2005
As a very small woman, I hate vanity sizing because often clothing is too big for me even in an extra small size, so I end up having to buy in the children’s department.

Bonnette

Missing Oakmoss
Basenotes Plus
Jul 25, 2015
I dislike this practice, too. It has become practically impossible to buy things online that fit, they're either too small (rare) or baggy. Even tights run large. And sizing charts are no help at all.

Pippin06

always learning--often laughing
Basenotes Plus
Feb 8, 2017
I dislike this practice, too. It has become practically impossible to buy things online that fit, they're either too small (rare) or baggy. Even tights run large. And sizing charts are no help at all.
Difficulty buying online with this practice is a great point. Even with accurate sizing, online shopping can be a gamble.

metanoia

Oct 7, 2021
Agreed. Sizing charts are pointless unless they actually list the garment measurements for all the available sizes. And not many do.

lair77

Jun 7, 2022
I agree with above comments that you can get your correct size if you take the time to try on clothes. On a collective level, it's a culture of dishonesty. But on an individual level, vanity sizing is only a problem if you put minimal effort into buying clothes.

Latest News