Urgent- Gift Advice Please

dwjpaypal

Feb 7, 2013
Hi All,

I'm meeting a lady who I used to be very close with next week, and wanted to give her a gift.

She used to (some 10 years ago now) always wear Boss Deep Red, however we've both gotten older and I was wondering if there was anything anyone else would suggest?

She's a strong, sexy, confident woman, and I need some reccomendations.

Can anyone help?

I was condidering;

Baccarat Rouge 540
Le Labo Santal 33

Any other opinions?

Thanks

cacio

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Nov 5, 2010
I have not smelled Deep red, so not sure which style you are looking at. I see you're thinking about expensive gifts.
Santal is usually well liked, more in a smooth, minimalistic way. I find it too coconutty. I prefer other ones in the line, like Ylang (a somewhat sultry floral) or the fresh Iris. Perhaps for the character you describe I was thinking to the other Estee Lauder niche brand, Malle, something like Carnal Flower.
Or since you are in the UK, Ormonde Jayne is another luxury possibility. Tiare is both fresh, floral, slightly sweet, and very elegant.

cacio

Ken_Russell

Jan 21, 2006
Quite a few great recommendations already, also adding in no particular order:

Etro Sandalo, Arlesienne by l'Occitane, various Guerlains from Samsara to Songe d'un Bois d'Ete and Santal Royal, YSL Paris, regular Jaipur and/or Jaipur Bracelet by Boucheron, Portrait of a Lady by Frederic Malle

Nastka

Mar 6, 2011
I'm very familiar with Deep Red because my mother used to wear it. It's a relatively light vanilla fragrance that is soft, slightly sweet and makes you want to get closer without it trying too hard to be sexy.

In terms of designer, I think a classy step up from this would be Dior's Hypnotic Poison EdP. Armani Code or Si might be another good option. The new YSL Libre might also be a worth a try as it's a surprisingly good offering from the house. Or Kenzo Amour.

If you want something niche, I'd suggest Amouage Honour which you can't go wrong with. Portrait of a Lady by Frederic Malle is another good option, as is Good Girl Gone Bad by Kilian and Bal d'Afrique by Byredo. Otherwise, these brands also sell sets of their fragrances, so this might be another route to go down so that she has a little more choice.

If she likes Deep Red, I don't think she'll dislike any of the above, but bear in mind that fragrance is deeply personal, so I'd probably avoid getting it as a gift unless you would take her out shopping and suggest that she pick something out for herself.

Nastka

Mar 6, 2011
A name that might send the wrong message if he's trying to rekindle an old flame. :)

I've never smelled Deep Red either, but based on Nastka's description of it, I would think Hermes Eau des Merveilles might be a good neighbor.

Same goes goes for the Kenzo Amour I suggested I guess!

Eau des Merveilles is amazing, I agree, but nowhere close to Deep Red in terms of vanillic sweetness which I tried to aim at.

Latest News