chengfun

Aug 9, 2007
I wanted to smell the tuberose scent and thought that getting some tuberose absolute would be a good idea. I read that the pure absolute might be hard to smell because the scent is too strong, so I ordered some tuberose 10% dilution in jojoba.

I was really excited when it arrived, but it was really disappointing when I put a couple of drops on my wrist and smelled it. It smelt very herby, not at all sweet which was what I was expecting. I washed it off and reapplied the oil, again all I got was a very earthy herby smell.

Am I doing this wrong? Should I have got the pure tuberose absolute? What is the best way to experience the tuberose scent?

Sugandaraja

Basenotes Plus
Aug 28, 2007
I wanted to smell the tuberose scent and thought that getting some tuberose absolute would be a good idea. I read that the pure absolute might be hard to smell because the scent is too strong, so I ordered some tuberose 10% dilution in jojoba.

I was really excited when it arrived, but it was really disappointing when I put a couple of drops on my wrist and smelled it. It smelt very herby, not at all sweet which was what I was expecting. I washed it off and reapplied the oil, again all I got was a very earthy herby smell.

Am I doing this wrong? Should I have got the pure tuberose absolute? What is the best way to experience the tuberose scent?

I think they might have been selling you the wrong stuff there. I've diluted tuberose absolute and it's quite sweet, along the lines of other floral absolutes.
I have two suggestions:

1. Order some tuberoses from a florist.

Unlike a lot of florist's flowers, tuberoses tend to be quite scented. When I couldn't find tuberose absolute I did this, and was quite satisfied. They fill the whole room with their scent.

2. Find an essential oil store that carries it and smell it there.

This saves you the cost of buying it.

I've read some people who describe the smell of tuberoses as being slightly rubbery, but never not sweet, so I really think the company sold you the wrong stuff.

Last edited:

Latest News

Whatever your taste in perfume, we've got you covered...

catalogue your collection, keep track of your perfume wish-list, log your daily fragrance wears, review your latest finds, seek out long-lost scented loves, keep track of the latest perfume news, find your new favourite fragrance, and discuss perfume with like-minded people from all over the world...