Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille vs Thierry Mugler Pure Malt

Ismellperfect

Jan 17, 2012
Hi guys . Which one of these colognes is better for compliments ?
I have narrowed my choices to these two .
And I want to buy only one of these at this moment .
What is your experience ?
Which one is better compliment getter ?
Thanks .

Ken_Russell

Jan 21, 2006
Having smelled and liked both, even to the point of likely owning either or both at once in future-still preferring and likelier to recommend Pure Malt by a tiny margin.

While unaware about compliments on both, got slightly better performance along with better value for money from Pure Malt, at least during separate (admittedly rather than side by side/simultaneous) testings of both so far.

mfinz8

Mar 1, 2019
Compliments and posts relating to compliments are simple grabs at cheaply fulfilling vanity.

Tobacco Vanille is a mess really. Pure Malt isn't too bad, easily the better of the two for me.

Jon Schmo

Feb 19, 2015
Have you smelled both of them? Only asking because none of them are safe blind buys imho. And none of them are likely to get you lots of compliments, if that is what you are looking for. That being said, TV appeals more to a mature audience, whereas PM strikes me as more youthful. So I guess it depends on who you are aiming to impress. Personally, I prefer PM.

Another one to consider is Divine Vanille by Essential Parfums. It’s a smoky, slightly fruity-flowery (osmanthus), and spicy vanilla with a woody backbone. Easier to wear than the other two imho, and much cheaper than TV.

Jul 7, 2012
If you're' not going to get them both, just buy your favorite.

Absolutely. Try 'em both. Go with your favorite.

Before committing to a bottle of Tobacco Vanille, I'd recommend sampling Tabac Rouge by Paedon. It's like a smoother & easier to wear TV. It's significantly cheaper though not cheap, but even if it was the same price as TV I'd still recommend it instead. It's fantastic.

Pure Malt vs TV? My pick would be Tabac Rouge, but you can't go wrong either way so long as you choose by picking your favorite.

Da Vinci

Dec 28, 2013
I own both, wear both and have gotten compliments from strangers from both. I have gotten more compliments from TV but I also wear it more often. As far as formulations, I bought my TV in 2012 and my PM in 2011 so they are definitely older formulations.

Latest News