Tom Ford - time to give up on this brand completely?

cazaubon

Basenotes Plus
Jan 1, 2005
I really liked the original PB lineup when it first came out and bought several. But I found that I eventually tired of their loudness and got rid of most of them. I wish I had bought Noir de Noir when it first came out as the current version smells watered down and uninspired. Lately the only two I’ve liked enough to buy were Lost Cherry & Rose Prick, and I bought them at a good discount, as the retail prices are ridiculous. My expectations are very low going forward and I don’t expect to ever buy another bottle, but I do sniff the new releases since they’re easy to find.

Opiate

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Sep 19, 2010
I suggest giving Tom Ford Beau De Jour Signature a go I have loved this one since my first wearing and have added many backup bottles of this one. Grey Vetiver while nice is just that nice I’ve replaced it with Beau De Jour Signature and haven’t looked back one of Tom Ford’s best releases imo.
Beau De Jour is certainly nice. My only gripe was that it smelled identical to something else. I can’t remember what it was now.. maybe Guerlain’s Le Frenchy?
I can’t recall. But I do need to get a sample of this and give it some proper wearings. It’s on the list.

Brooks Otterlake

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Feb 12, 2019
Beau De Jour is certainly nice. My only gripe was that it smelled identical to something else. I can’t remember what it was now.. maybe Guerlain’s Le Frenchy?
I can’t recall. But I do need to get a sample of this and give it some proper wearings. It’s on the list.
Beau de Jour is a everything-in-one fougere mash-up. So you get a good dose of Zino, a good dose of Fougère Royale, a bit of Rive Gauche, etc. It's everything to everyone.

I like the opening and the concept, but the amber drydown is pretty standard-issue designer stuff. (Which isn't to say it's bad, but it ain't $2/ml quality.)

Paddington

Marmalade Sandwich Eater
Basenotes Plus
Jun 17, 2021
Off the top of my head:

Matsuda
Kirk & Kirk
Masunaga
Cutler & Gross
Thierry Lasry
Eyevan
Andy Wolf
Tom Davies
Jacques Marie Mage
Mykita
ic! Berlin

There are more that I could list, but I'm most familiar with those. You should be able to find good options from any of those brands within the same price range as Tom Ford's frames.

Of those brands, if you're into more retro styles, particularly acetate, I don't think it gets better right now than Jacques Marie Mage. Their acetate frames are no joke. Of the four pairs I'm rotating between right now, two of them are Jacques Marie Mage (the other two frames in my rotation are Matsuda and Kirk and Kirk).

If you're into retro-style titanium frames, Masunaga and Matsuda are excellent. I was really impressed with some Masunagas I tried on recently because of the quality and price point.

One thing I realized when I started buying luxury eyewear from actual optical brands rather than designer frames made under licensing agreements is how much better the glasses were--from the detailing to the construction--from the optical brands. If often only takes a few moments of handling them to feel the difference.
I wear mykita my self and plan to get a lindberg pair as well, ALL designer frames are junk and made on the cheap and i refuse to buy them.

But as someone said early with the junk food very over priced big macs, nothing wrong with a big mac but the price being asked for the big mac is insane lol, upselling of a low quality product with promises of something greater.

Tom Ford for me will always be the Nouveau riche brand no real appreciation for anything great just something that's easy to comprehend with a price tag to keep the poor's away, while bragging like they have real taste

Diddy

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Oct 14, 2015
I wear mykita my self and plan to get a lindberg pair as well, ALL designer frames are junk and made on the cheap and i refuse to buy them.

But as someone said early with the junk food very over priced big macs, nothing wrong with a big mac but the price being asked for the big mac is insane lol, upselling of a low quality product with promises of something greater.

Tom Ford for me will always be the Nouveau riche brand no real appreciation for anything great just something that's easy to comprehend with a price tag to keep the poor's away, while bragging like they have real taste
But have you seen the video of the lady that's stored a big mac meal for 26 years and it hasn't molded or degraded? Now if that's not quality, I don't know what is! :ROFLMAO:

In all seriousness, I appreciate your response and point of view. Thankfully, the few TF fragrances that I own are also ones that I appreciate and that I got for far less than the going nose bleed prices. Actually, my TF stuff is not the most expensive fragrances I own. On the flip side, I don't discuss my most expensive fragrances because I don't want to give off the wrong impression. I'm neither rich nor have any special tastes beyond liking what I like. The value proposition could be argued over many fragrance lines. Like I said in my original post, for me, if TF produces anything that I enjoy at a price that I'm willing to pay then I will get it. Otherwise, I lose no sleep over it. Thanks again for your response!

WarmJewel

Basenotes Dependent
Oct 5, 2022
The high sale prices for discontinued Tom Ford fragrances suggests they might be underpriced at retail.
I wouldn't have thought so. The same principle that operates on all discontinued/rare/hard to find fragrances applies equally to Tom Ford ones. Opportunists and chancers trying to cash in on their rarity. I don't think this is unique to Tom Ford.

ultravisitor

Basenotes Dependent
Nov 4, 2014
I wear mykita my self and plan to get a lindberg pair as well
I love Mykitas. I've had three or four different pairs in the past. I just don't have a pair in the rotation right now. I feel like they've gotten a little boring in more recent years. There was a pair I really liked this past winter when I was shopping for new frames, but they were unfortunately slightly too small :(

I've been meaning to get a pair of Lindbergs, too. I was debating between two frames this time around, and the Lindbergs ended up losing out...this time.

slpfrsly

Physician, heal thyself
Basenotes Plus
Apr 1, 2019
I wouldn't have thought so. The same principle that operates on all discontinued/rare/hard to find fragrances applies equally to Tom Ford ones.
You're missing the salient detail, which is that all Tom Ford fragrances fetch a considerably higher price when discontinued than when in retail. This is not true for all discontinued or rare fragrances, so it's not something that applies to all fragrances.

The increase in retail prices that brands like Tom Ford have applied to their fragrances in recent years/months can be seen in light of the value of their fragrances once discontinued. Irrespective of why people are paying such high prices, the point to take is that there is a consistent market for TF fragrances that is willing to pay much higher prices for their fragrances than TF charges for them. This is not universal to all discontinued fragrances, or other designer houses; although not unique to TF, it is specific to them.

Sandy

Basenotes Dependent
Jan 15, 2005
The house had a pretty clear notion of what it was about up until 2013, and not long after that it felt like the braintrust at Tom Ford was just throwing things at the wall to see what stuck (which, incidentally, mirrored what was going on in the fashion side of things; the brand hit it big and then started to spin its wheels, showing a dearth of new ideas).

2013's Tobacco Oud was received by some as redundant when it came out, but in retrospect it felt like a bookend to that original run: an almost uncompromisingly Tom Ford-y expression of the brand's ethos.

Which I still maintain is nicer than Tuscan Leather (and, like Beau de Jour, was thinned out when it was put in the Signature line).
I bought Ombre Leather Parfum (2021), but no other Tom Ford scent have I found FBW in the past decades.

Opiate

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Sep 19, 2010
P
I love Mykitas. I've had three or four different pairs in the past. I just don't have a pair in the rotation right now. I feel like they've gotten a little boring in more recent years. There was a pair I really liked this past winter when I was shopping for new frames, but they were unfortunately slightly too small :(

I've been meaning to get a pair of Lindbergs, too. I was debating between two frames this time around, and the Lindbergs ended up losing out...this time.
Dang, you guys are rocking some nice glasses! I need to step my game up.
I wear cheap old US Army frames. That said, mine were once worn by an actor in the movie Sicario, so take that, with your handmade German frames 😎
(But seriously, I’m gonna look into all these brands you guys are talking about and get myself a nice pair next time).
44B417B9-FF1E-4907-A309-F693DD7686B1.jpeg

Oct 10, 2019
- discontinuation -> scarcity -> desirability -> hype
Yes, this has been their conventional practice for as long as I recall. But I think it also comes down to profit, Ford often dabbles into the niche realm with some compositions that the common man simply wouldnt wear. I can't see how scents like Oud Wood Intense, Tobacco Oud Intense, London, Noir Anthracite, etc., would get discontinued.

The main difference in PBs opposed to "Signature" line is that the dry-downs are better blended. One standout is Beau de Jour, but still the "Signature" line one is sort of a bit synthetic, and the PB original release was better.
This has been my experience as well. The signature re-releases have been "cheapened" to a degree that I find unwearable.

Oct 7, 2021
The 2007 line-up, as well as a few private blends here and there (plum japonais, italian cypress, beau de jour) are worth it. Everything else, no.

Just smelling purple patchouli and man, what a scent.

Latest News

Whatever your taste in perfume, we've got you covered...

catalogue your collection, keep track of your perfume wish-list, log your daily fragrance wears, review your latest finds, seek out long-lost scented loves, keep track of the latest perfume news, find your new favourite fragrance, and discuss perfume with like-minded people from all over the world...

pp