Tom Ford Fakes Are Becoming Passable - Subject: Tobacco Oud

MegaMav

Dec 12, 2013
I feel bad for people that dont know any better.
The fake starts out smelling like perfumers alcohol, no boozy whiskey start like the genuine article, smells like actual tobacco for about 30 minutes then falls apart into a metallic sweet nothingness.
If you'll have a look and compare it to my legit Oud Wood (Batch AA9 printed in black on the label, cant see it)
You'll see the bottle heights are different, the nozzle heads are different, the nozzle stems are different and the batch code on the fake isnt pressed on but printed with the label.
The real give away is the nozzle head and the batch code.

These are getting really difficult to tell apart. Anyway, I thought I would share with all of you.
I dont think this is a perfume appraisal, but an FYI to the community.
No worries, I will get a return/refund.
Your thoughts?

20210706_140455.jpg
20210706_140237.jpg
20210706_135944.jpg
20210706_140041.jpg

Varanis Ridari

The Scented Devil
Basenotes Plus
Oct 17, 2012
20210210_162818.jpg
20210210_163030.jpg
20210210_163155.jpg
20210210_163115.jpg
20210210_163302.jpg

I got burned recently on a fake Tom Ford for Men. Got my money back but seller gave a bogus return address because I guess they weren't expecting to get returns, so my package was RTS'ed back to me and I binned it. That got their account shut down and not the fake, which is ironic.

The fake used a real box or at least duplicated a real box perfectly, but the rest is as you see. Fakes for this brand are so prevalent now, you basically can't buy Tom Ford at all on eBay, it's almost a 50/50 coin toss since in my case, the seller had real inventory mixed in with fakes, leading me to believe they didn't even know themselves.

Also, not a Russian seller or Chinese seller as some like to blame for all the fakes. They were in New Jersey. Guess you gotta pay to play with Tom Ford, just like with Chanel. Unfortunately, I don't like Tom Ford quite enough to pay retail on this, and now it's DC'd anyway so I gave up on it. Haven't tried to buy a TF fragrance from a reseller since.

jkonick

Feb 16, 2019
Yikes, that is frighteningly close to the real thing.

For pretty much exactly this reason, there are a few brands I only buy in decant form, never full bottles, like TF or Creed especially. If I had the funds to buy from authorized retail outlets I might, but I don’t, and so my options are either eBay, discounters or decants. With those options, I actually feel much more confident buying a decant from a trusted BNer than a full bottle from eBay or even one from discounters.

Incidentally the only full bottle I’ve gotten off eBay was TF Noir Anthracite, but that seems highly unlikely to be faked, and it was two years ago so I didn’t necessarily know better. Luckily I got the genuine article.

GoldWineMemories

Nov 22, 2019
Tom Ford, Frederic Malle, Francis Kurkdjian, & Byredo all have impressive fakes (especially Kurkdjian), and you run a real risk buying these on places such as eBay. Baccarat Rouge fakes are so good you'd probably never tell the difference looking at a bottle. You can tell Tom Ford fakes by the rounded corners on the bottles themselves.

slpfrsly

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 1, 2019
View attachment 157151
View attachment 157152
View attachment 157153
View attachment 157154
View attachment 157155

I got burned recently on a fake Tom Ford for Men. Got my money back but seller gave a bogus return address because I guess they weren't expecting to get returns, so my package was RTS'ed back to me and I binned it. That got their account shut down and not the fake, which is ironic.

The fake used a real box or at least duplicated a real box perfectly, but the rest is as you see. Fakes for this brand are so prevalent now, you basically can't buy Tom Ford at all on eBay, it's almost a 50/50 coin toss since in my case, the seller had real inventory mixed in with fakes, leading me to believe they didn't even know themselves.

Also, not a Russian seller or Chinese seller as some like to blame for all the fakes. They were in New Jersey. Guess you gotta pay to play with Tom Ford, just like with Chanel. Unfortunately, I don't like Tom Ford quite enough to pay retail on this, and now it's DC'd anyway so I gave up on it. Haven't tried to buy a TF fragrance from a reseller since.

It's not discontinued. Still very much for sale.

Diamond Joe

Feb 5, 2019
I just got burned on a Tom Ford fake myself. Have been looking for a gold label Oud Wood for quite some time, finally found one (or so I thought) and got it in the mail yesterday. When I pulled it out and looked at the cap, it was like "uh oh". Two magnets? I think - kind of hacked into the cap. Which still did not fit that good. Juice was a blast of perfumers alcohol, followed by a super sickly sweet and synthetic cardamon note, and thats about it.
FakeOudWoodCap1.jpg
FakeOudWoodCap2.jpg

PrinceRF

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 3, 2020
I just got burned on a Tom Ford fake myself. Have been looking for a gold label Oud Wood for quite some time, finally found one (or so I thought) and got it in the mail yesterday. When I pulled it out and looked at the cap, it was like "uh oh". Two magnets? I think - kind of hacked into the cap. Which still did not fit that good. Juice was a blast of perfumers alcohol, followed by a super sickly sweet and synthetic cardamon note, and thats about it.
View attachment 157226
View attachment 157227

So annoying. Sorry that happened to you. Would have otherwise been a great find.

woodnotes55

Oct 27, 2016

Admit it, you first learned it was a fake because the scent wasn't completely gone in half an hour!!!!!!

Diamondflame

Frag Bomber 1st Squadron
Basenotes Plus
Jun 28, 2009
That's why it's always wise to buy from authorized retailers.

Agreed. My peace of mind is worth far more than the premium paid for authenticity. While I do willingly buy fake stuff to marvel at the quality of a replica, I never want to risk getting fake fragrances especially considering these are aromachemicals you spray on yourself.

woodnotes55

Oct 27, 2016
Oh it didn't even smell like actual Tom Ford for Men. Not sure what was in the bottle, but it wasn't even remotely similar.

Figures.... I was only half joking. I think TF for Men smells pretty good but it goes away really fast on my skin..... If I ever get around to it maybe will put it and some others like that (as in not favs to me) up for sale here and you can buy it.....

Varanis Ridari

The Scented Devil
Basenotes Plus
Oct 17, 2012
Figures.... I was only half joking. I think TF for Men smells pretty good but it goes away really fast on my skin..... If I ever get around to it maybe will put it and some others like that (as in not favs to me) up for sale here and you can buy it.....

It seemed to last okay on me when I sampled it, but this experience put me off.

ascotnot

Jul 11, 2014
I feel bad for who, on a limited budget, invests on real Tom Ford frags vs real other brands frags.

I agree with this. People value different things differently but I have found that <$40 fragrances are no less likely to spend time at the top of my rotation than the $200 ones. In this case, Tobacco Oud, far from being a favorite of mine in any case, I cannot envision a scenario where Dark Rebel Rider from a tester wouldn't do (I have both), especially with a cost difference of up to 90 percent, which provides plenty of leeway to make allowances.

Ken_Russell

Jan 21, 2006
Thank you for the info, glad you got your refund and that everything turned out right.
So far never tested, smelled, owned nor owned a TF fake, at least not deliberately/aware of this, but willing to look more carefully and/or think twice before the next purchase of one or more TF scent (s).

primotenore

Jun 13, 2020
View attachment 157151
View attachment 157152
View attachment 157153
View attachment 157154
View attachment 157155

I have had fakes from Russia, but, interestingly enough, one of my most trusted and favorite sellers on Ebay IS from Russia.
I've stopped blaming the country.

Andy the frenchy

Sep 16, 2018
Folks be careful, too many fakes out there.

Tom Ford, Roja Dove, Byredo, Diptyque, Le Labo, MFK, Creed, Malle, Dior, Chanel, Profumum, Louis Vuitton ........ you name it.
Tom Ford, Frederic Malle, Francis Kurkdjian, & Byredo all have impressive fakes (especially Kurkdjian), and you run a real risk buying these on places such as eBay. Baccarat Rouge fakes are so good you'd probably never tell the difference looking at a bottle. You can tell Tom Ford fakes by the rounded corners on the bottles themselves.
Agreed. That said, not really 'out there' but mostly all from Russia, Hong-Kong and New Jersey. If buying those brands at these kind of sellers,, it's not 'being burned', it's 'throwing oneself in the lion's mouth'. Nothing to be surprised about, it's just a bad decision.

Opiate

Sep 19, 2010
I’ve also seen what appears to be a casual seller in good standing, selling fakes unknowingly.
I messaged one of them and told them, they had no idea. They were just an unsuspecting victim themselves, had bought a fake without realizing it and was selling it because “it didn‘t smell like they remembered”.
That person wasn’t even aware that fake perfumes was a thing.

Be careful out there, and when you see fakes, report them.

LiveJazz

Funky fresh
Basenotes Plus
Mar 16, 2006
The same thing has happened with MFK. I ended up with a fake not long ago, and it was damn close to the official sample I had of the same scent. I was annoyed, but also legitimately impressed.

To the point made earlier, I think a lot of these fakes are floating around and changing hands in the secondhand market, and neither the buyer nor the seller ever know.

Andy the frenchy

Sep 16, 2018
I’ve also seen what appears to be a casual seller in good standing, selling fakes unknowingly.
I messaged one of them and told them, they had no idea. They were just an unsuspecting victim themselves, had bought a fake without realizing it and was selling it because “it didn‘t smell like they remembered”.
That person wasn’t even aware that fake perfumes was a thing.

Be careful out there, and when you see fakes, report them.
Or so did she/he state.
The same thing has happened with MFK. I ended up with a fake not long ago, and it was damn close to the official sample I had of the same scent. I was annoyed, but also legitimately impressed.

To the point made earlier, I think a lot of these fakes are floating around and changing hands in the secondhand market, and neither the buyer nor the seller ever know.
Since it was close to your sample, isn't it possible that you got a real one and that they slightly changed the packaging or the sub contractor that produces the packaging, leading to minor variations in the box or bottle, like it is often the case?
I often hear about 'perfect packaging but bad scent', but rarely the opposite.

LiveJazz

Funky fresh
Basenotes Plus
Mar 16, 2006
Since it was close to your sample, isn't it possible that you got a real one and that they slightly changed the packaging or the sub contractor that produces the packaging, leading to minor variations in the box or bottle, like it is often the case?
I often hear about 'perfect packaging but bad scent', but rarely the opposite.

I thought the same. Smelling side by side, it was different enough to clearly tell it was not the same, but it was passably close and smelled pretty nice. I don’t think MFK is prone to large enough batch variations that it would be so perceptibly different.

The other red flag is it was originally purchased from Russia. I didn’t ask the seller about its original provenance until my suspicions were aroused. They didn’t know that you never ever ever buy high end modern scents from Russia and I’m pretty certain they didn’t know it was fake.

primotenore

Jun 13, 2020
I hate to disparage an entire country. There are disreputable sellers everywhere. The MAIN cause, again IMO, are buyers looking to purchase something at ridiculously low prices. Do I have to remind everyone: "If it seems too good to be true, it probably isn't".

slpfrsly

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 1, 2019
The only fragrances that are regularly and successfully faked, in my experience, are the desirable, well-known boutique brands like MFK, Tom Ford, Creed, and of course the designers like Chanel, Dior, Armani etc. Prudence and honesty goes a long way when shopping for these scents. If you really like it, pay the retail price. A 5% saving is rarely worth it when you risk buying a 100% fake.

Wingie

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 2, 2009
I bought two bottles of Vert de Fleur on eBay quite recently, a 50ml bottle and 250ml decanter bottle (yes, I really like Vert de Fleur). Both are authentic, but the decanter bottle was purchased from saiholdings, a major cosmetics and fragrance retailer that I've bought from before and know is legit (though I suppose even they could sell fakes unknowingly). Vert de Fleur is discontinued, so no longer carried by authorized retailers. I don't think it's one of the more faked Tom Ford fragrances - it's kind of a more obscure scent from the house, so there I probably got lucky.

Latest News