Tom Ford Amber Absolute

needaname

Jun 5, 2017
I do not know if anyone here follows Christophe Laudamiel on Instagram but he put out from what I understand is the formula for Tom Ford's Amber Absolute. It looks a little too simplistic to be the actual formula and it has been ages since I smelled Amber Absolute but it does look like it might serve as the back bone for an Amber + Sandalwood perfume or could work nicely even on its own as a standalone perfume.

It was put out as a tribute to a Youtube perfumer reviewer Brooklyn Fragrance Lover that passed away recently.

Big L

Nov 23, 2019
Wow.. this year is so depressing. I am not on Instagram and wasn't aware that Brooklyn Fragrance Lover have passed away. :sad:

I really love Christophe Laudamiel for his openness about the perfumery process. He was kind of already giving away this formula in his interview to Carlos a couple of years ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNJZUjXY198&ab_channel=BrooklynFragranceLover.

(The total here is just 95.45, so could be that some small secret is still hidden, but this is pretty much as open as one gets when discussing "secret" formulas)

AlexMeno

Oct 12, 2020
Formula is:

Ambreine: 1.30
Bacdanol: 12.50
Sanjinol:3
Vanillin ex Lignin: 26.30
Javanol: 1.50
Ciste Abs SIS: 2.60
Labdanum resinoid spain 13.15
Olibanum Oil: 2.80
Patchouli Oil Indonesia LMR: 1.30
Polysantol: 8
Sandalore: 11
Ebanol: 2
Iso Propyl Myristate: 10

Total: 95.45

Lucofborg

Apr 27, 2018
I tried to search the ingredients list of the original Amber Absolute and there a lot missing from Laudamiel's formula, like coumarin, alpha isomethyl ionone, benzyl salicylate, hydroxycitronellal, and even oak moss and tree moss.
What I think is that he posted a simplified? formula so anyone wanting to reproduce it could get fairly close.

jaromil

Jan 14, 2017
I tried to search the ingredients list of the original Amber Absolute and there a lot missing from Laudamiel's formula, like coumarin, alpha isomethyl ionone, benzyl salicylate, hydroxycitronellal, and even oak moss and tree moss.
What I think is that he posted a simplified? formula so anyone wanting to reproduce it could get fairly close.

dear lucofborg,
maybe christophe released the formula of the latest 2018 ‚reserve collection‘ ?
i just took this allergens-list from tomford.co.uk;

„ ALCOHOL DENAT. , WATER\AQUA\EAU , FRAGRANCE (PARFUM) , ETHYLHEXYL METHOXYCINNAMATE , BUTYL METHOXYDIBENZOYLMETHANE , ETHYLHEXYL SALICYLATE , PENTAERYTHRITYL TETRA-DI-T-BUTYL HYDROXYHYDROCINNAMATE , LIMONENE“

aberdeengrey

Nov 13, 2016
If he had the rights to the formula and was legally allowed to share it, then good on him, but chances are that he does not own the right to share formula for the tom ford scent and didn't give anything away that would negate their sales / commit professional suicide.

Bill Roberts

Mar 1, 2013
Agreed on that and would like to add another point: any of the companies in the perfume business, at the slightest desire, will know at least this much of any or at least most competitor's perfumes. Not that anyone presently said this, it has appeared before though, but nothing we ever post and nothing similiar to the above will harm anyone nor steal anything from them.

(Perfumes are not sold with license agreement to not do GC/MS nor is there even a request I ever saw.)

Last edited:

Lucofborg

Apr 27, 2018
dear lucofborg,
maybe christophe released the formula of the latest 2018 ‚reserve collection‘ ?
i just took this allergens-list from tomford.co.uk;

It's possible but he did precise that it was from the discontinued one, his words: "So what about taking with you for ever that discontinued formula? This way everyone watching your grave will still learn something from you"

While I was researching other Tom Ford fragrances, I noticed that Neroli Portofino had the same ingredients, in the same order. I think that bottle is from 2013, then I noticed other Neroli PF labels, maybe more recent, didn't have all those ingredients.

Apr 12, 2019

Those are just allergens that all the ingredients he posted, contain

Logocracy

Jan 11, 2021
On the point that disclosing the formula would hurt the brand's sales. It seems quite the opposite. Christophe recently posted on Instagram that since posting the formula online, sales for the actual discontinued fragrance have skyrocketed on eBay. I guess his post brought a lot of renewed awareness to the frag.

I also agree with Fjoltzu's assessment of the formula. I also trialled it and there does seem to be quite a bit missing from it to make an exact replica.

Apr 12, 2019
On the point that disclosing the formula would hurt the brand's sales. It seems quite the opposite. Christophe recently posted on Instagram that since posting the formula online, sales for the actual discontinued fragrance have skyrocketed on eBay. I guess his post brought a lot of renewed awareness to the frag.

I also agree with Fjoltzu's assessment of the formula. I also trialled it and there does seem to be quite a bit missing from it to make an exact replica.

Ah you trialled it as in tried making it? I saw no alcohol percentage in the formula which confused me but i do think/know the ingredients list is always just a list of allergens that all the ingredients in the fragrance caused. Like if you add rose absolute to a fragrance, you will end up with many allergens on the label from only one ingredient. HOWEVER yeah something does seem off about the formula, but don't focus too much on each allergens

Logocracy

Jan 11, 2021
Ah you trialled it as in tried making it? I saw no alcohol percentage in the formula which confused me but i do think/know the ingredients list is always just a list of allergens that all the ingredients in the fragrance caused. Like if you add rose absolute to a fragrance, you will end up with many allergens on the label from only one ingredient. HOWEVER yeah something does seem off about the formula, but don't focus too much on each allergens
Not the allergens list. I tried making the fragrance from the Instagram post. I have all those ingredients.

Latest News