Today I Sold/Swapped/Binned

Ovcharkaowner

Jul 2, 2011
Sold recently:

- Black Orchid
- Dior Homme (2012)
- L'instant De Guerlain Extreme (Dark Rim)

Lost some love for all of the above and extra money to take with me on my vacation was more than welcomed. The Dior Homme was a regret purchase to begin with hence i think the 2015 version is way better. The other two i just simply don't like them anymore.

Last edited:

Alex

Jan 27, 2005
I sell / swap mostly the stuff I bought blind. Some of it I keep some I sell or swap to finance the next blind buy. That was the reason I posted Chanel PM Concentree and Ungaro II for swap.
Not long ago I binned CK Be: got tired of it.
Shame that some countries including Australia do not allow to ship fragrances. Limits the sale opportunities to one country only.
Great post btw.

ScottW

Feb 12, 2014
Good thread concept and I hope it has some legs going forward. Might encourage me to move some out that I never wear and have been sitting on out of sheer laziness. I could certainly stand to free up some storage space for new acquisitions. :thumbup:

ILikePeeps

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 15, 2012
There's a thread like this over on Fragrantica. I think it's a great idea to have one like it over here on Basenotes! I'll list stuff that I've recently (or so) sold! Look in the parenthesis for a possible explanation as to why I sold it off.

I'll just start from mid-June or so to current. All sold:

D&G Light Blue Living Stromboli (Tester. Not that fond of tester packaging nowadays.)
Creed Orange Spice x2 testers (still have 2 of them)
Bond No. 9 I Love New York for All (Still have 1.)
Nautica Voyage (Not a bad smell, kinda cheap, didn't really feel like wearing it.)
Bond No. 9 Riverside Drive (Got it secondhand, which I'm not into. Smell was okay; made me think of pickles?)
V&R Antidote (Secondhand, smaller bottle. Decent smell.)
L'Occitane Immortelle de Corse (Decent smell, got secondhand.)
Rochas Man (Not a bad smell, but would rather have New Haarlem or something probably.)
Gucci Guilty Intense Pour Homme (Good opening.)
Curve for Men
Oscar de la Renta Pour Lui
Salvador Dali Pour Homme
Everlast 1910
Angel EdP (Not my type of smell.)
Ho Hang Club (unboxed. Have a boxed 50ml.)
Carven Homme (I think I sold two, not sure when I sold the other though..)
Burberry London for Men (Same type of thing as with Carven Homme)
Azzaro Pour Homme (Sold non-refillable, and kept refillable...?)
Guerlain Habit Rouge Sport
Givenchy Play Intense ('vintage')
A*Men Pure Shot
CK One
Montale Aoud & Pine (Still have one.)
Allure Homme Sport
Mugler Cologne
DHS 2012
Platinum Egoiste
L'Eau Bleue d'Issey Pour Homme
Luna Rossa
Xeryus Rouge
Fahrenheit (50ml. Don't worry, I still own Fahrenheit. One of my favs. I might have a 200ml, and a 50ml at the moment.)
Frank No. 2
Black Orchid EdP
L'Artisan Parfumeur Fleur de Liane
Armani Eau d'Aromes
Montale Red Vetyver (50ml) (Own TdH Parfum. Plus, I got the Montale secondhand and it's a smaller sized bottle.)
Allure Homme
Allure Homme Edition Blanche EdTC
D&G Pour Homme (tester)
Boucheron Pour Homme EdP
Obsession for Men
Millesime Imperiale (Tester. Still have a regular packaging.)
Hermes Jardin sur le Nil (Not a bad frag. Just didn't 'do it' good enough for me.)
B*Men 100ml Collector's Edition (Had two. Sold one.)
D&G The One for Men EdT (Had decanted some for my brother and never quite felt the same about my bottle. Ended up getting a bigger sized EdP - so I sold off the EdT! haha)
L'Anonyme ou OP-1475-A (Not bad. Not good enough.)
Opium Pour Homme EdP (Not bad. Just felt like too much of a mushed together fragrance. Just felt like a blurred frag.)
Vanille Absolument (Meh. Don't really care for the smell.)
Frapin 1697 (Don't really care for the smell, like with Vanille Absolument.)
Opus 1870 (I like it, but it just seems more like a pleasant safe frag. Not sure about staying power.)
Mitsouko EdP (I dunno man.. there's just something about it that I don't really get along with.)
Versace Pour Homme 200ml
Versace Man Eau Fraiche 200ml
Allure Homme Sport Eau Extreme
Guerlain Homme Intense (older 'metal plate' type)
HdP Olympia 2oz (Smells like motel/hotel bar soap?)

There's different reasons for me selling stuff off..

If I got it secondhand, I'm more likely to sell it. I don't like buying from other people, and I maybe never will again in the future (most or all of the secondhand ones I had were probably from buys I did in 2012-2014). Not including samples. I'll gladly take secondhand samples :D.

If it's a tester packaging; I'm a sucker for packaging.

Wanting to lean out my collection with more 'loves' and less 'likes'. Generic dry downs. Ones I'm not that interested in wearing.

To get money, or if I already own a similar type fragrance that I'd rather have instead - such as Red Vetyver VS TdH Parfum. I'd rather have the Hermes. And the D&G The One for Men. But there can be other reasons included, such as the bottle being used, the size of the bottle, whatever.

Edit - Wow, that list is maybe longer than I was expecting. Whoops. My future ones will be shorter! Haha.

Plus, I got a little lazy with reasoning on some of them as to why I sold them. In general, I liked almost every one that I sold. A thing I've been thinking about lately is having more 4/5 star frags, and less 3 or less star frags.

Last edited:

Viffer

Apr 28, 2014
My 19 year old son is finally getting into wearing something other than Axe... He asked me for a bottle so, we sat down and went through some 30 scents. He finally chose Fahrenheit Parfum... But, I also gifted him the other few that made it to his final, which are:
Dunhill London, DHI, L 12.12 Blanc, Midnight in Paris and Versace pour Homme Oud Noir.
He is well happy!

hednic

Oct 25, 2007
My 19 year old son is finally getting into wearing something other than Axe... He asked me for a bottle so, we sat down and went through some 30 scents. He finally chose Fahrenheit Parfum... But, I also gifted him the other few that made it to his final, which are:
Dunhill London, DHI, L 12.12 Blanc, Midnight in Paris and Versace pour Homme Oud Noir.
He is well happy!
What a dad! :thumbsup:

MFfan310

Jun 19, 2004
Today, I was meeting with a banker regarding the Xscentrik business plan. He was incredibly impressed by it - and even moreso when I told him that I wrote it completely by myself. He's been in the Fort Wayne banking business for almost 25 years and looked at hundreds of business plans, which made the compliment even more flattering.

We have many more meetings in the works in the months ahead. But before the next meeting, I wanted him to get a taste of niche. So I gave him hand-decanted samples of Straight to Heaven, Musk Oud, and L'Humaniste, along with a mostly-unused mini of Jo Malone Wood Sage & Sea Salt. The two By Kilians were chosen because of my nose-changing meetup with Kilian himself. L'Humaniste was chosen because of the Frapin brand and how he might not know that they make perfumes. And the Jo Malone was chosen because that brand was one of the things that made niche what it is today.

Dandydude

Sep 26, 2015
I swapped a Kobe bottle with about 35mls left.
I have a full backup 50 ml bottle and a small .25 oz bottle left over from my discovery set so this one was tradable.
I received a partial 35-40 ml bottle of Vetiver Extraordinaire (which has been on my list for a while)

I also obtained, via trade, today:
Bond No 9 Eau De New York

I gave up:
full backup bottle of Lidge (I have a backup)
A full bottle of Al Rehab (I have a backup)
A full bottle of Grey Flannel (because it smells putrid)

Last edited:

MrsDalloway

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Aug 10, 2015
Most recently sold:

Mimosa Pour Moi. I like it but I like Essences Insensees better on all counts.

Sel de Vetiver. Liked it a lot at first but went off it and I have lots of preferred vetivers.

Mugler Cologne. Liked it when I tested a single spray in the shop, then bought it and found it nose-piercingly synthetic to wear.

Bangkok Hound

User of Toilet Water
Basenotes Plus
Nov 4, 2015
Not today, but last month I gave away:

Potion by D2squared (30ml.)
Acqua di Gio
Legend by Montblanc
LIDGE
La Nuit de l'Homme
Strictly Private by Baldessarini
Terre d'Hermes Eau Tres Fraiche
Bleu de Chanel
F Black by Ferragamo
Versace Man Eau Fraiche

Krazyleggs

Aug 22, 2016
Parfums d'Empire Cuir Ottoman. Got a sample, tried, passed on to an older gentlemen. I'd have to be a little older to appreciate the scent. At least I know TF Tuscan Leather will be my go to Leather Frag.

rum

Basenotes Plus
Mar 17, 2011
Recently sold off Creed Aventus, MI and C&S No. 88

That's right - no more Creeds for me, except for GIT which both I and my wife loves. Didn't wear MI much and Aventus will soon be replaced by something similar.

As for C&S No. 88, although I like it, I prefer Egoiste as a rose-woody scent, of which I now have 2 vintage bottles.

Soon I will be finishing my 3rd tin can bottle of YSL Rive Gauche PH.

Mar 8, 2016
I've only sold one bottle....Aramis Havana. I liked it but it smelled like other fragrances I own. I saw it on another members "want" list so I offered it up.

I did swap DHI for Penhaligons Sartorial recently.

I don't have enough posts nor have I been a member long enough to create a For Sale, Swap, or Wanted thread [emoji53].

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

CollectorCT

Feb 29, 2016
Of the fragrances I own, I would like to swap Ferragamo F Black. It was a bad blind buy based on YouTube hype, but I only have abt 20mls left. Sometimes I'll layer with a heavy dose of La Nuit.

ChuckW

Aug 21, 2001
Recently sold off Creed Aventus, MI and C&S No. 88

That's right - no more Creeds for me, except for GIT which both I and my wife loves. Didn't wear MI much and Aventus will soon be replaced by something similar.

As for C&S No. 88, although I like it, I prefer Egoiste as a rose-woody scent, of which I now have 2 vintage bottles.

Soon I will be finishing my 3rd tin can bottle of YSL Rive Gauche PH.

In place of Aventus, give Mancera Cedrat Boise a try.

ILikePeeps

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 15, 2012
Sold:

Givenchy Gentleman
Versace Versus Uomo

Oh wow, 180ml would last a million years. I once made the mistake of wearing 4 sprays to work. I didn't just fill the room, I was filling room after room.

Haha, there's more than one reason for me selling it.

1. The sprayer got messed up, I really don't know how, as I've hardly even used the frag.
2. Talk about the egg smell from it.
3. I've been selling off a lot of frags lately, and I have AdG and AdG Profumo. if one or two has to go, then probably Essenza first (aside from bottle size), then regular AdG.

That said, if the sprayer wasn't messed up, I'd most likely not have just tried to sell it! Oh well.

No plans to repurchase.

Last edited:

rum

Basenotes Plus
Mar 17, 2011
Thanks, Chuck. Not sure we even have Mancera in this country. But if we do, they are definitely not everywhere!

Well I managed to find it here in Selfridges. Very long lasting and I get the whole theme here, but it's not quite the same. And to be honest I think I prefer Marinella's "100" fragrance. Too much lemon in the top, not sure what is going on in the mid. Dry down is similar to its adopted parent, but not quite the same.

NickZee

Sep 19, 2014
Thanks for all the replies guys, very interesting reading.

I infamously sold the entire Zegna Essence Collection before the gold editions were introduced. It took a few months to sell all 6. They lived up to the hype of using very high quality ingredients, but the focus on single notes for each bottle was just too boring for me. I am looking for complexity. Vetiver was my favourite because it was a bit more complex with a carrot seed note in the base, but in the end it wasn't enough.

For a similar reason I sold Jo Malone Amber and Lavender. The entire range is rather simple and much more suited to candles IMO. It was a nice fragrance, just not FWB for me.

Armani Code - the olive wood was odd at the time, these days I appreciate the fact that they took a risk and this will eventually make its way back to my collection.

Armani Prive Myrrh Imperiale - not enough projection, but a nice rich, smoky fragrance.

Black Afgano - Far too animalic for my tastes and was difficult to apply in small amounts, which this type of fragrance demands.

CH Men - I'm too old for this but it is nice and shows some decent development

CK One - too boring these days.

Declaration d'un Soir - this Rose note was also used as a scent in our family's toilet paper in the 90s. Smells terribly cheap, and that's coming from a Rose lover.

Guerlain Vetiver - ended up buying Vetiver Extreme, which is a tad softer and sweeter

Aramis Devin - dated carnation bomb

D&G Intenso - there was a wheat note that was absolutely aweful

Lots of Calvin Kleins - the epitome of designer mediocrity. I got fooled over and over because I probably am a fool!

Creed Erolfa- Kind of regret this, was a decent fragrance. I was trying to narrow down my collection at the time

Halston Z14 current formulation - was nice but didn't compare well to the quality I have become accustomed too.

YSL Jazz - too sour!

Orange Sanguine - may as well squeeze orange juice on myself, would smell the same and probably have better projection and longevity

Avignon - the incense was too bitter in the opening and the camomile in the base was too soft for my tastes.

Rive Gauche - I couldn't handle the aniseed

Tsar - no projection or longevity

Anything by Zara gets binned eventually.

Last edited:

cazaubon

Basenotes Plus
Jan 1, 2005
Down to the last few spritzes of MPG Bahiane, will finish it this week. I am planning to get rid of my Bond No. 9 bottles as I am no longer reaching for them, plus a few Montales. I want to reduce the size of my collection as storage is becoming a problem and my tastes have changed.

ILikePeeps

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 15, 2012
Sold:

Prada Amber Pour Homme Intense
Boss Bottled Intense
Serge Lutens Fleurs d'Oranger

Edits:
All sold:

Versace Man (purple bottle)
A*Men Pure Wood
La Nuit de L'Homme Le Parfum
Versace Eros
YSL L'Homme
Aqva Amara
CH Men
L'Artisan Parfumeur Voleur de Roses
L'Artisan Parfumeur Traversée du Bosphore
Dior Homme Intense
Caron Yatagan
Caron The Third Man
Zino Davidoff
David Yurman Limited Edition (tester or whatever)
Fahrenheit 50ml (Don't worry, I have a 200ml bottle. I'm curious about the newer stuff. I'm interested in getting a 100ml bottle.)
Le Male 1.3oz
Chrome
Drakkar Noir
Ho Hang Club
Eau de Rochas Homme
Versace The Dreamer
B*Men (Collector's Edition)
A*Men The Taste of Fragrance
Rive Gauche Pour Homme (4.2oz metal can)

Gave away:
Lagerfeld Classic
Tabac Original EdC

Last edited:

Latest News