Today I Finished...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jujy54

queen of the universe
Basenotes Plus
Jun 8, 2008
"Good to the last drop!"

So the coffee commercial goes. And yet, do we resist that last drop? What are we saving it for? Whether a mini, HTF vintage, a gift, or maybe something so special and expensive, the urge to save kicks in. In my case, it was literally 20 years of holding onto those last drops of long-discontinued Mollie Parnis, my signature, followed by five years of daily ebay stalking. Now I have an ample supply, and I've decided, just use it; when it's done, it's done.

Today's finish was a vintage rarity, often grotesquely priced on ebay. I was both lucky and prudent in landing a full ounce of Weil Secret de Venus bath oil for about $100 last November; I've seen listings at over $900 for pity's sake. A scant two months later—gone! Fini! Yes, I bathed in it, and shared it with my son a few times. Sort of a barbershop/gingersnap, but sexier than that may sound, I'm guessing I got about thiry luxe soaks in this stuff, about 1 ml per bath. I don't plan to look for more, hundred dollar bath oil is rather a profligate habit. veni, empti, empty! To finish is to appreciate.

How do you feel when you finish a bottle?

And here's the evidence, before and after, for any "picture or it didn't happen" skeptics (;

P1040057.jpg

P1040096.jpg

Last edited:

lpp

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Feb 8, 2010
Having hoarded my last poor Quadrille until it faded away, using and enjoying the contents of bottles is something that makes sense to me!
I'm certainly not prepared to chase the remaining bottles and will make do with memories instead.

After draining the last of a sample of Norma Kamali Incense most generously provided by another member, there's comfort in the knowledge that a small amount of this special stuff is winging it's way here - to be both treasured & used :)

Last edited:

Xscent

Jun 12, 2013
Brava Jujy! I’m all for using your best everyday. A swipe of vintage extrait for bed? Yes please!

The only thing that happens when you save your best is someone else gets to enjoy it (or worse throws it out!) when you are gone and I doubt they will get as much pleasure from it as you would have had. I feel the same way about sharing such treasures with those who are equally passionate about the fragrance, after all it’s just stuff until someone appreciates it. That’s not to say I’m not prone to hoarding by favourites as evidenced by my back ups of back ups. :)

I drained the last of my Présence(s) de Bach last month and I'm on the fence about getting another.

Last edited:

cacio

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Nov 5, 2010
Wonderful! I do love oils too, and approve of their use (though as you know Secret de Venus wasn't my favorite).

I have yet to finish a bottle of something of which I don't have a backup...

cacio

jujy54

queen of the universe
Basenotes Plus
Jun 8, 2008
cacio, this is the SdV oil, not the "inessential fruity floral" that is the moden albeit discontinued EDP of the same name, the one I passed in the mini with the heart-topped stopper. Re: spares, much harder for vintage, plus there's something in my personality that responds to impending absence.

jujy54

queen of the universe
Basenotes Plus
Jun 8, 2008
Must say I saved the bottle, as I can still smell it quite distinctly. Will toss when I no longer can.

danieq

Jul 17, 2013
I am scared of finishing. There, I admitted it.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

jujy54

queen of the universe
Basenotes Plus
Jun 8, 2008
I got my Weil Noir just a month ago. In re-decanting due to broken cap, I find it was about 1/2 ounce, and I'm nearly halfway through it. I love it's mentholated tuberose/leather composition and intend to use it up with gusto. Here's some music to encourage going for broke:

jujy54

queen of the universe
Basenotes Plus
Jun 8, 2008
I finished Panthère de Cartier EdT today. This was my second bottle, a tester off ebay. Originally a gift from my daughter who said it recalled a childhood memory, how I smelled coming home from orchestra and tiptoeing into her room to give her a kiss. She called that smell "cold perfume." Since my bass changed hands this week, it's fitting to retire this fragrance. I added it to a shadowbox I made of career memorabilia.

P1040116.jpg

btw, That's not me in the photo. Those are my colleagues.

Last edited:

teardrop

Sep 1, 2010
Today l finished my bottle of Stella Rose Absolute.

Somewhat perversely, when l get close to the end of a bottle, l tend to wear it more often in order to finish it. That way l get more room for new bottles, & a good excuse to buy them, as l try to maintain a loose "one in, one out" policy.

ln this instance, l already have a bottle of Montale's Crystal Flowers on its way to me, which l see as an upgrade in terms of a rose fragrance.

l only tend to finish two-three bottles per year, but l do sometimes sell off the ones l get bored with long before that.

jujy54

queen of the universe
Basenotes Plus
Jun 8, 2008
Oh, teardrop, I am trying to adopt that attitude rather than clinging to those last drops. I find the clinging to be more perverse, tho it demonstrates exactly the futility of trying to have one's perfume and smell it, too!

bookwyrmsmith

Oct 25, 2009
I just finished a small edt bottle of Dreams by Tabu ( smells sorta like Philosophy's Falling in Love) . Hoorah for backups though. Long may they spray!

jujy54

queen of the universe
Basenotes Plus
Jun 8, 2008
Finished off a small made-in-Mexico bottle of vintage Myrurgia Maja. Very good summer floral. I have a Spanish version, which is less pungent, still lovely.

jujy54

queen of the universe
Basenotes Plus
Jun 8, 2008
kewart. Enjoy the Shiseido FdB with abandon.

Today I finished off the Weil Noir. The last few drops won't exit, so I'm saving the vial into which I decanted it for havdalah, a ceremony announcing the end of the Jewish Sabbath. One of the recited blessings is "borei minei b'samim", "who creates fragrant spices", upon which something fragrant is indeed sniffed to carry the sweetness of the day into the week ahead. This will be delightful.

sfmedusa

Mar 13, 2009
I think I'm incapable of finishing a bottle, even a very small one like a sample. I've got the last couple of drops of an awful lot of them, so one last wear of all sorts of things ends up being kept, just in case I may need to wear it, or smell it, or whatever.

This consequently means that my collection just carries on getting bigger. I need another new cupboard now.

cello

Oct 19, 2009
I traveled on vacation with samples, and finished off generous samples of:
L'Artisan Mimosa Pour Moi - a simple airy Mimosa floral
PdE Iskander - an herbal citrus
Demeter Gingerale - just as advertised, a lovely refreshing gingerale with a simple woody finish (a favorite on the trip in the heat)
Inux L'Arbre - a straighforward sandalwood, light and lovely

Last edited:

lanvinelle

Nov 28, 2006
I used up bottles regularly, even after getting into the perfumista world, but in the last few years I have only been using up samples (without regrets).I usually take a handful with me on vacation and will come back empty-handed.
I still don't give up on bottles though and currently trying to use up Songes EdP from the moon bottle. Sad but the top notes are slightly different now so it must go before it turns.

mjdancer83

Jun 12, 2015
I have yet to finish a bottle in my current collection, but I do have some samples that are getting dangerously low! :D
Marc Jacobs Decadence
Thierry Mugler Womanity Eau Pour Elles
Nina Ricci L'extase (thankfully I have a couple more on hand)
Bulgari au The Vert
Annick Goutal Mandragore Pourpre
Indult Tihota (noooooooooo! :( )

Whitefluffy

Sep 14, 2006
In the last six months I finished:

Serge Lutens Gris Clair
Shalimar 90's vintage EdT (my first bottle of Shalimar ever!)
Cuir by Lancome

Currently working on finishing Haslton EDC :)

My Mr is trying to finish Tom Ford for Men

j_mysscent

Dec 3, 2008
This week I finished my bottle of Chanel No. 19 EDT. I shall buy a backup bottle

I shall also finish the remaining of Les Parfums de Rosine Ecume de Rose before Christmas.

I just sold my half bottle of Tom Ford Black Orchid Vol de Fleur - old love has fallen apart.

It took me two years to downsize my collection to just above 50 bottles. I am in the middle of documenting, sorting my pile of samples.

Last edited:

UncleBuck

Oct 23, 2009
Last bottle I finished was a 50ml bottle of CK Euphoria. That was about 18 months ago, I think. I mostly used it as an inoffensive work scent. I don't think any bottles I currently own are anywhere near the end. I still have a 100ml Hugo Boss splash that I bought in 2006 that's still half full!

teardrop

Sep 1, 2010
l've recently finished bottles of Jasmin Noir & Ghost.

l still have the purse spray of Jasmin Noir that came in a set, & l'd already bought a back-up of Ghost, this time in the 100ml bottle. lt was only when l got it out of the box that l realised this bottle is HUGE, it towers over the rest of my collection! l really love it though, so l'm pleased l won't be running out anytime soon. :D

Whitefluffy

Sep 14, 2006
l've recently finished bottles of Jasmin Noir & Ghost.

l still have the purse spray of Jasmin Noir that came in a set, & l'd already bought a back-up of Ghost, this time in the 100ml bottle. lt was only when l got it out of the box that l realised this bottle is HUGE, it towers over the rest of my collection! l really love it though, so l'm pleased l won't be running out anytime soon. :D

By the powers vested in me, I name you...The Power Finisher!!! Ghost really is nice, I am happy for your gigantic bottle :)

Paul H

Mar 28, 2015
A 3.4 ounce bottle of Prada Amber Pour Homme. Used it as a room sprayer for the guest restroom, it smells very well sanitized. Won't be repurchasing a bottle of it ever again. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News