Today I finished - Perfumes used up in 2021

FiveoaksBouquet

Scented.
Basenotes Plus
Jul 16, 2004
Happy Perfume Year!

By mod request, “Today I finished” is going yearly, and this is the new thread for perfume finished in 2021.

For New Year’s I will be saying goodbye to a great batch of Chanel No 5 from decades ago. Will post proof when the bottle is empty.

What have you finished, as 2021 unfolds?

Here’s a link to the old thread (now closed) for reference purposes:
https://www.basenotes.net/threads/374615-Today-I-Finished

Last edited:

ClockworkAlice

We all smell here
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019
Oooh, that's a pretty little bottle of No.5, FiveOaks, no wonder you want to keep it and refill it!

I finished my first this year, too: bye bye Rebelle by Rihanna! I wanted to spray some on my mask, scarf and maybe on myself before going out for a walk today and finish it, but realized there's nothing to spray and finish already! It was one of my blind buys at the start of pandemic to soothe the itch for novelty - I saw a small bottle for cheap and ordered it because it had coffee and cacao in the notes, and I love these notes. It still was a bit too sweet for me (it's a proper celebrity perfume after all - but I'd say it's a pretty unique one) so I played a lot with layering it to tame the sweetness and it was pretty fun along the way. I also sprayed my masks with it lately both to finish it quicker and because having a scented mask is a very nice distraction from all the discomforts of wearing one - and a perfume helps sanitize it, too.

Additionally, Rebelle easily wins the contest of the ugliest and least manageable bottle I ever had. I binned the empty bottle with joy. But it's quite a fun, uncomplicated, fruity and bittersweet (with the emphasis on sweet) coffee perfume to wear around home.

freewheelingvagabond

Jun 10, 2012
Oooh, that's a pretty little bottle of No.5, FiveOaks, no wonder you want to keep it and refill it!

I finished my first this year, too: bye bye Rebelle by Rihanna! I wanted to spray some on my mask, scarf and maybe on myself before going out for a walk today and finish it, but realized there's nothing to spray and finish already! It was one of my blind buys at the start of pandemic to soothe the itch for novelty - I saw a small bottle for cheap and ordered it because it had coffee and cacao in the notes, and I love these notes. It still was a bit too sweet for me (it's a proper celebrity perfume after all - but I'd say it's a pretty unique one) so I played a lot with layering it to tame the sweetness and it was pretty fun along the way. I also sprayed my masks with it lately both to finish it quicker and because having a scented mask is a very nice distraction from all the discomforts of wearing one - and a perfume helps sanitize it, too.

Additionally, Rebelle easily wins the contest of the ugliest and least manageable bottle I ever had. I binned the empty bottle with joy. But it's quite a fun, uncomplicated, fruity and bittersweet (with the emphasis on sweet) coffee perfume to wear around home.

I have this mask that reeks of Pinaud Clubman Special Reserve just because I put it on one day about 5 min after applying aftershave.

ClockworkAlice

We all smell here
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019
Congrats, CA! Good idea spraying the mask.

Yeah, I've been spraying my masks since spring and been enjoying it.

I have this mask that reeks of Pinaud Clubman Special Reserve just because I put it on one day about 5 min after applying aftershave.

Haha, never thought about dabbing masks with a scent, but you did it unintentionally!

jujy54

queen of the universe
Basenotes Plus
Jun 8, 2008
I have 365 days to finish something in 2021 so stay tuned!

and here I've wondered if you've ever worn anything twice XD. Do keep us apprised! And surprised!

I finished vintage Fabergé Aphrodisia as I synched with the Drugstore Classics theme. And by finished I mean shaking those last drops onto my wrist. SOTE will be Fabergé Flambeau, which probably has about three wears left. Scent memories of my teens and early twenties, aah!

FiveoaksBouquet

Scented.
Basenotes Plus
Jul 16, 2004
and here I've wondered if you've ever worn anything twice XD. Do keep us apprised! And surprised!

I finished vintage Fabergé Aphrodisia as I synched with the Drugstore Classics theme. And by finished I mean shaking those last drops onto my wrist. SOTE will be Fabergé Flambeau, which probably has about three wears left. Scent memories of my teens and early twenties, aah!

Those Fabergé scents were very distinctive—and potent!

CuddleCat

It smells so good in here
Basenotes Plus
Aug 20, 2009
Finished a travel spray (10ml) of 1845 by Mount Romance. The last few mls were used as room spray. Not replenishing, prefer Coco EDT and Opium EDT for my oriental go-to scents.

ClockworkAlice

We all smell here
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019
Big day for me today - finished the last drops of my lovely 30 ml bottle of Black Opium that I had and loved since 2018. I think I had a sample since the end of 2017 or something, but decided to get a bottle only a year later and fell over heels for the scent. 75 wears recorded here in Basenotes, a bit more in reality since this is the scent that got me interested in fragrances and eventually landed me here. Goodbye, my sweet prince. It was a pleasure knowing you.
I don't think I will repurchase it - at least not yet, especially that I still have a mini of Black Opium Intense and a mini of Noir Exquis if I want that gourmand coffee. Maybe some day though, if I get nostalgic. It's a very cozy scent, but others are calling me right now.

Kotori

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Aug 17, 2006
Goodbye, my sweet prince. It was a pleasure knowing you.
I don't think I will repurchase it - at least not yet, especially that I still have a mini of Black Opium Intense and a mini of Noir Exquis if I want that gourmand coffee. Maybe some day though, if I get nostalgic. It's a very cozy scent, but others are calling me right now.

I like your attitude! I aspire to be so devil-may-care about finishing and not replacing.

ClockworkAlice

We all smell here
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019
I like your attitude! I aspire to be so devil-may-care about finishing and not replacing.

I'm only devil-may-care about my likes and past loves. There's a certain joy of having a scent you enjoy wearing and just moving on to the next one when it's over. All fun and no hard feelings.
I have backups of most of my biggest favourites though, so not as devil-may-care as you might think!

I also noticed I start wearing something at full speed when I decide I don't want a second bottle of it and the first one is getting lower just to finish it quicker. I often feel like "saving" my favourites, too, which I think is dumb. It's probably wiser to just wear your favourites as often as possible - they might not be the biggest favourites a few years from now and you'll have missed a lot of joy saving them up.

H_West

Oct 14, 2015
Yesterday I finished a bottle that I bought twelve years ago. This is the second 50 ml I finished of Clinique Happy and I think our journey now has come to an end. I got my first from my high school sweetheart wearing it like a signature. I repurchased it and now it is done. It will have it's special place for sure.

unnamed.jpg

SmokeAndSky

Jan 26, 2016

Glad to know I'm not the only one spraying my masks with perfumes. (Even my husband likes it when I do it on his. He likes perfume on me, but isn't totally trained into being scentsible yet.)

Hmmm... don't think anything is in danger or being binned this year, though I was shocked to find that I'm halfway through a bottle of Lipstick Rose by Frederic Malle. Should I ever finish it, I'd definitely repurchase it. No, my usual hoarding behavior has continued, I purchased another bottle of Safran Troublant, Nuit de Tubereuse and Idylle, all in danger of actually running out some day, since I actually like, wear, and use them liberally.

Going to have to go have a look at that Rebelle bottle though. Seems irksome, and therefore, interesting.

SmokeAndSky

Jan 26, 2016
I also noticed I start wearing something at full speed when I decide I don't want a second bottle of it and the first one is getting lower just to finish it quicker. I often feel like "saving" my favourites, too, which I think is dumb. It's probably wiser to just wear your favourites as often as possible - they might not be the biggest favourites a few years from now and you'll have missed a lot of joy saving them up.

Good point. I put on Shalimar extrait two days ago and it was ALL WRONG. Didn't enjoy it one bit, and I was stuck with it all day. Should have worn it more 5 years ago.

Andrewthecologneguy

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 26, 2006
Finished this year so far:

Eau de Grey Flannel by Geoffrey Beene.
Had it for about a decade and thoroughly enjoyed it.
I will not be replacing it anytime soon though.

Wingie

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 2, 2009
Checking back, the small bottle of Le Lion arrived on December 17th, about 8-1/2 weeks.

Wow, you're fast! I'm also impressed you call a 75 ml bottle small. To me it's big!

Yes, at first I thought the 'small' bottle in front was maybe a 15ml travel spray! 75ml in 8.5 weeks is impressive indeed :smiley:

SmokeAndSky

Jan 26, 2016
Ouch.
Maybe try it again a few months from now - sometimes a certain mood or day can ruin a scent that time, but not the other?

Thanks, I will certainly have to try again.
On the other hand, I'm using my uptick in participation on Basenotes and Fragrantica to go through my collection and start listing things I don't want to keep. I just have to figure out if Shalimar is going to be one of those...
Hard call. Hard call.

FiveoaksBouquet

Scented.
Basenotes Plus
Jul 16, 2004
Nice. glad to hear you enjoyed it that much! And I like that motto :D
Thanks for the kind words, H_West.

Yes, my goodness, how many sprays do you typically use?

Today it was eleven (short spritzes) but the number can go up or down. I had to go back to mentally re-count; I don’t count while applying, just go by instinct. How many sprays do you usually apply, SmokeAndSky—or others here?

SmokeAndSky

Jan 26, 2016
Today it was eleven (short spritzes) but the number can go up or down. I had to go back to mentally re-count; I don’t count while applying said:
Most often it's just two full sprays. Sometimes I go crazy and I do little 1/2 sprays, and then it can range from 6-8, but that's typically only with something light, or I'm at home alone not having to subject anyone else in a closed room to my olfactory cloud.

ClockworkAlice

We all smell here
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019
Today it was eleven (short spritzes) but the number can go up or down. I had to go back to mentally re-count; I don’t count while applying, just go by instinct. How many sprays do you usually apply, SmokeAndSky—or others here?

Depends on a scent and where I'm going for me, but my average is somewhere around 3-7 sprays, and it's very rare where I'd go with less than 2 or more than 9. If it's something strong like Opium I'll do just 1 or 2 half spritz(es) on my wrists and then transfer the scent on my neck and inner elbows from there. If it's something very light and citrusy and it's very hot outside, I think I could go up to 11 - but it's super rare, usually I'll stop at 7 or 9 even in this case anyway, average being probably 6-8 sprays for lighter scents. If it's something medium/normal strength, I'll usually go between 3 and 6 - less if I want to make sure I won't offend anyone, more if I want more scent. Generally I spray more when I'm home alone and less when leaving for work.
There do exist some megastrong fragrances where even 1 spray could probably be too much for me, but I do not own such fragrances.
If I'm using a mini or a dab sample, I'll just slightly dab wrists, inner elbows and behind ears and maybe a little bit on collarbone. I noticed that a 5 ml dab bottle lasts for more wears than a 10 ml spray bottle for me.
I haven't tried Le Lion yet, but if it's similar in strength to Coromandel, I think it would be a 1-3 spray scent for me, with 11 of anything that's not a light citrus cologne I personally would be overwhelmed or even nauseated - but that's me, 4 sprays of something like Serge Lutens Bapteme du feu is already too much for me - I did that once and had to scrub it off for the sake of my own sanity!

It's not an exact science of course. :)
I think it's very hard to say what's too much or too little theoretically, as it depends on so many things - the exact scent and its strength, your skin type, your weather conditions, the place where you're going, the effect you want to achieve and so on. It's easy to clear a room with just a spritz or two of something like Baccarat Rouge, and 10 sprays of something like Elizabeth Arden's Green Tea might feel like a light mist at the same time. And for another person these numbers what's too much or too little might be very different.

FiveoaksBouquet

Scented.
Basenotes Plus
Jul 16, 2004
Depends on a scent and where I'm going for me, but my average is somewhere around 3-7 sprays, and it's very rare where I'd go with less than 2 or more than 9. If it's something strong like Opium I'll do just 1 or 2 half spritz(es) on my wrists and then transfer the scent on my neck and inner elbows from there. If it's something very light and citrusy and it's very hot outside, I think I could go up to 11 - but it's super rare, usually I'll stop at 7 or 9 even in this case anyway, average being probably 6-8 sprays for lighter scents. If it's something medium/normal strength, I'll usually go between 3 and 6 - less if I want to make sure I won't offend anyone, more if I want more scent. Generally I spray more when I'm home alone and less when leaving for work.
There do exist some megastrong fragrances where even 1 spray could probably be too much for me, but I do not own such fragrances.
If I'm using a mini or a dab sample, I'll just slightly dab wrists, inner elbows and behind ears and maybe a little bit on collarbone. I noticed that a 5 ml dab bottle lasts for more wears than a 10 ml spray bottle for me.
I haven't tried Le Lion yet, but if it's similar in strength to Coromandel, I think it would be a 1-3 spray scent for me, with 11 of anything that's not a light citrus cologne I personally would be overwhelmed or even nauseated - but that's me, 4 sprays of something like Serge Lutens Bapteme du feu is already too much for me - I did that once and had to scrub it off for the sake of my own sanity!

I think it's very hard to say what's too much or too little theoretically, as it depends on so many things - the exact scent and its strength, your skin type, your weather conditions, the place where you're going, the effect you want to achieve and so on. It's easy to clear a room with just a spritz or two of something like Baccarat Rouge, and 10 sprays of something like Elizabeth Arden's Green Tea might feel like a light mist at the same time. And for another person these numbers what's too much or too little might be very different.

It sounds to me like you’ve got it down to a science! Gotta love it—where else can one go to read about precision perfume application? A very rewarding subject!

freewheelingvagabond

Jun 10, 2012

It sounds to me like you’ve got it down to a science! Gotta love it—where else can one go to read about precision perfume application? A very rewarding subject!

Works like clockwork!

ClockworkAlice

We all smell here
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019

:D I don't think *that* much when I spray though! All that text is more of an afterthought when your question led me to think of how I actually spray :D

Works like clockwork!

:tekst-toppie:

freewheelingvagabond

Jun 10, 2012
Thanks for the kind words, H_West.

6-8 sprays typically. However, often times this could be 15-20 for lighter scents in hot weather.

Bavard

Wearing Perfume Right Now
Basenotes Plus
Jul 20, 2015
Today I finished a 50-ml bottle of Allure Homme Edition Blanche.

Latest posts

Latest News