Today I Didn't Buy

Darjeeling

Oct 29, 2012
We have our monthly threads where we can parade our proud purchases, but for some balance lets have some support and cheerleading for those times we didn't give in to temptation, those occasions when we didn't make that impulse purchase.

So, did you have some fragrance(s) in your shopping cart but resisted the temptation to click for the purchase?
Were you wowed by the top notes of something you sniffed in store but managed to refrain from whipping out your wallet there and then?

Tell us about it.

FWIW, these threads have been done before, but not recently
http://www.basenotes.net/threads/307272-Today-I-didn-t-buy-2013
http://www.basenotes.net/threads/205318-What-did-you-NOT-buy-today

I would've just revives the first thread, but it's marked 2013 (2012 earlier in the thread) :p

Personally, out of the blue my brain thought I wanted to ad CK One, and bugged me about it for a week. It's cheap and an easy wear, what's the harm after all? Luckily the urge left after a few days (and I managed to convince myself that the lily of the valley note would bug me before too long).

Cook.bot

Common Lackey
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
Today I didn't buy... any of the 120 bottles on my eBay watch list. One day at a time, baby, one day at a time.

I shouldn't have gone to look at that 'Didn't Buy' thread from 2008. People complaining that they didn't buy a 100ml Parfum d'Empire because of the price: $88. And now the 50ml bottles are $150. Gives me the urge to jump on a discontinued 100ml while I still can.

Bavard

Wearing Perfume Right Now
Basenotes Plus
Jul 20, 2015
A third bottle of Bel Ami. I'm conflicted, though.

I let a vintage Cuir de Russie parfum go for $300. I might have gone for that if I could have gotten it for $300, but once it was bid on at that price, I let it go.

I'm trying to get myself more interested in the current retail market.

I feel really comfortable in this thread. I see a lot of congratulations for buying stuff - even compulsive buyers who have publicly stated they have a problem are getting congratulations on weekly purchases, including thumbs up emojis! You can't make this stuff up. And sellers can get a shout out - the same guy gets a high five a month or two later when he unloads the thing. Non-buyers have needed a refuge.

ClockworkAlice

Cakesniffer
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019
I'm eyeing minis of Narciso Rodriguez Pure Musk For Her and Kenzo Flower on my local discounter for quite a while now, and I keep telling myself that although I want them, I don't need them. I will probably get one of them or both eventually as the price isn't prohibitive at all and the clutter because of minis is minimal, but for now I'm resisting. I don't want the number of my fragrances to grow too much.

I wanted and still want it, but I resisted getting myself a rollerball of Dior Poison Girl Unexpected for this winter/spring and will resist it further unless I get a gift card or something (unlikely). I decided I don't really need it, as I have several vanilla fragrances already and my plan for this year is getting some classics, some backups of my favourites and not spreading out too much.

I really like Angel Muse and was quite upset I didn't buy the EDT when it was heavily discounted in the summer. I got myself a tester vial of EDP and after several wears I decided that yes, I do like it A LOT, but I feel a bit not myself wearing this, as if I borrowed someone else's clothes. I do like it a lot, I like to smell it, but I know I won't wear it that much, so I don't need it. I might get a mini some day if I crave it after finishing the vial, but definitely not a full bottle.

I'm also resisting to buy several bottles I already decided I will be getting this year because I want to spread out my perfume purchases more sparingly and evenly. I have lots of other hobbies and they also need attention and funding, and I want to leave a certain amount of money for savings each month, too.

Currently I'm resisting two backups of discontinued scents I really want and the stock in discounters is very low on both of them, but I'm not buying anything before my next paycheck. If they're gone before that, they're gone. I'm checking everyday if they're still there, but I don't have to buy everything I want or can afford right now even if it might be gone later, I have to have priorities.

Buysblind

Jan 21, 2011
Bluebijou by Piotr Czarnecki

The note list is tempting but one description of it in a review I was reading included the phrase, “candle shop.” That’s enough of a red flag to keep me from heading to the checkout.

Nastka

Mar 6, 2011
Today I didn't buy... any of the 120 bottles on my eBay watch list. One day at a time, baby, one day at a time.

I ended up ditching eBay unless I have something very specific in mind. I used to have a list of saved searches longer than my arm which I checked twice a day. All it did for me was fuel my FOMO, which I decided in the end wasn't very healthy.

dealt7faux

Apr 24, 2015
Light Blue Intense set marked down to 39.99 @ TJ's
Varvatos Mini's marked down to 9.99 also @ TJ's
4 assorted Chanel 50 ml Allure's @ 100 listed for sale here

Danny Mitchell

Mar 21, 2019
I ended up ditching eBay unless I have something very specific in mind. I used to have a list of saved searches longer than my arm which I checked twice a day. All it did for me was fuel my FOMO, which I decided in the end wasn't very healthy.

Same here. I have FOMO with fragrance and with clothes. If I see a cool shirt, I have to talk myself out of being convinced that if I don't get it now, it's gone forever and I'll regret it, even though next month another ten dozen different shirts that I like even more will take it's place. I have to just stay out of stores and I stay off of Ebay altogether.

I almost bought the New Dior Homme yesterday, but talked myself out of it.

Tradition

Apr 18, 2016

I shouldn't have gone to look at that 'Didn't Buy' thread from 2008. People complaining that they didn't buy a 100ml Parfum d'Empire because of the price: $88. And now the 50ml bottles are $150. Gives me the urge to jump on a discontinued 100ml while I still can.

I quickly read it as a 120ml bottle that you ddn’t buy, but then realized you have 120 bottles on your ebay watch list.

Diamondflame

Frag Bomber 1st Squadron
Basenotes Plus
Jun 28, 2009
A replacement bottle of Endymion. My stock ran out months ago but prices have crept up significantly (rather annoyingly) over the past year. Decided to use other substitutes for bedtime wear.

speckmann0706

Mar 8, 2017
Chanel Pour Monsieur. Had it in the cart a couple of times but closed out of the tab. Then it went away. When it came back, I bought it. I'm glad that I did. It's the edp version.

Congrats, I wish they would bring back the EDT. EDP is a fine choice though enjoy!

A replacement bottle of Endymion. My stock ran out months ago but prices have crept up significantly (rather annoyingly) over the past year. Decided to use other substitutes for bedtime wear.

Yea, Penhaligon’s prices are high even discounted a shame since imo they are not worth their full retail and anyone new to the house probably won’t bother trying them now.

For me:

I caved during my morning shower lol, bought the back up Guerlain Vetiver bottle I wasn’t going to. Well worth the back up imo plan to wear it quite often the next coming months into the summer.

HFMIII

Nov 29, 2016
Interesting Idea..

Today I didn't buy:

100 ML Frédéric Malle Limited Edition 2018 Lipstick Rose for $140

or

100 ML Frédéric Malle Limited Edition 2018 Iris Poudre for $160 (Both at a local B&M Discounter)

or

100 ML Back up of Acqua Di Parma Colonia for $49 at my local Marshalls on clearance.

Why didn't I buy them today you ask?

It's because I bought them all yesterday :laugh:

Sisyphus

May 11, 2018
Good topic!

Not really today, but in the last few weeks I resisted some very good deals on dutch auction sites (where perfume is normally much cheaper then Ebay)

30ml pure parfum editions of: Shalimar, Vol. de Nuit, Chamade, Jicky, Mitsouko (price was €80,- per bottle). It haunted my mind for a few days (especially the Jicky), but luckily after a few days everything was gone already.

a 250ml bee bottle of Eau du Coq (probably from the late 90's or early 00's as it has a 5 digit batch code). Guy is asking €75,- for it, and it is still not sold. I'm still tempted to buy this one, but my ratio is telling me that I don't need 250ml of any perfume (even though Eau du Coq is something to apply very liberally), plus Eau du Coq is not something I desire more in vintage edition.

The Bark

Jan 24, 2003
I contemplated getting Amouage Beloved Man, but since I read ChuckW recently ordered it, I thought I'd wait to see his thoughts.

Renaissance_Man

Feb 26, 2006
Contemplating buying 6.7 oz splash bottle of Caron Eau de Cologne as a summer refresher but didn’t. Worried about the quality having gone off since it’s splash? I still need something inexpensive to pour on myself as my annual “quickie summer affair” LOL. I choose something each year and go through it in a few weeks.
I also didn’t buy
Tiziana Terenzi Ursa
Etro Messe de Minuit

Jul 7, 2012
out of the blue my brain thought I wanted to ad CK One, and bugged me about it for a week. It's cheap and an easy wear, what's the harm after all? Luckily the urge left after a few days (and I managed to convince myself that the lily of the valley note would bug me before too long).

Good call.

I was on a CK One kick last year. I picked up a 0.5 oz bottle on ebay for... uh... $2? I was so surprised by how good it is!!! Aaaaaaaaaaaand then I realized how good it isn't. The fresh opening is so nice, but it falls apart once the chemicals in the heart & base reveal themselves. Ah well. But hey, for $2, I got my money's worth.

notspendingamillion

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Sep 2, 2018
Im proud of all of you! I will try to keep up with this thread some. Im more proud of every one of us commited for the things we dont buy than the things we do. Temptation. Ill try report if i have a close call.

Darjeeling

Oct 29, 2012
Interesting Idea..

Today I didn't buy:

100 ML Frédéric Malle Limited Edition 2018 Lipstick Rose for $140

or

100 ML Frédéric Malle Limited Edition 2018 Iris Poudre for $160 (Both at a local B&M Discounter)

or

100 ML Back up of Acqua Di Parma Colonia for $49 at my local Marshalls on clearance.

Why didn't I buy them today you ask?

It's because I bought them all yesterday :laugh:

:)

High five. One day at a time. Baby steps. I tend to go through binge and purge like stages where I’ll buy quite a few things then exercise abstinence for a few months, but the deprivation will then only increase my appetite. Currently in a real lull in terms of lusting after new perfumes, but my tea purchases on the other hand...

Sharkie

Jan 12, 2020
Great thread! Today I didn't look at any fragrances, this I didn't but any. I spent way too much since Christmas on fragrances, so I need to be done for a bit, or my wife will remove parts of my body for each one lol.

mrcologneguy

Jan 2, 2009
Anything that includes the grapefruit molecule du jour. No Iso E Super chemical hazard zones. Pink peppercorns are next on my inexplicably overexposed list. Ha-ha-aren’t-we-naughty-named fragrances are a big stretch for me. Stronger with you, because I’m such a spineless poor little thing on my own — seriously, guys buy this nonsense? Social media whores — no interest whatsoever.

masonjarjar

Dec 27, 2007
it's my eBay watch list that's dangerous. just bought a car and need to get a few payments under my belt before I can even consider something. I should probably delete them all. today I said NO to a Bond No. 9 Cooper Square decant that got discounted, damned tempestuous sellers!

stormy sellers? eh whatever.

jkonick

Feb 16, 2019
I've been on a self-imposed break from buying anything for the last few months since I'm trying to save money and get to know the bottles I already have, but I just got my tax return and now I'm itching to blow it all on fragrances lol. I managed not to buy anything today, though I was most tempted by a vintage Caleche bottle I found thrift store hunting for $20. Not really something I'd see myself wearing but almost bought it just cause. Might still if it sticks around, but for today I resisted.

Ken_Russell

Jan 21, 2006
Although leading eventually to not just the intent but also the ultimate action of buying-shopping cart simulations, prospectively putting together a selection of soon to buy fragrances (mainly for budgeting but also delivery vs. personal schedule reasons) are, personally speaking, indeed more frequent than actual purchases

24 Faubourg

Aug 19, 2015
I skipped Fireside Intense during my Sonoma Scent Studio blind buy. Was tempted for a while but went with Bee's Bliss and Winter Woods instead.

Emanuel76

Jun 16, 2018
Etro Heliotrope
I put on hold buying sweet perfumes with very good longevity and strong projection, even if I like it very much, and even if I found it at half the price.

309d99fe611afcb0bd6afc434abc02cf.jpg

Ho ho ho! I bought it for $ 35 (tester). :coolold:
It's true, bought it without cap and that fancy bow tie, but - what the hell! - it was 4 times cheaper.
Even now they still have Penhaligon's for $ 40-60 in that online shop, but I don't care for what's left. Castile looks promising. But I have better options for blind buying.

You can find some very cheap pafums here, but some are very expensive.

D.McDutchface

Oct 13, 2019
It's taking a lot of self control, but for weeks now, and for many to come (I hope), I have been able to restrain myself from buying Louis Vuitton's Ombre Nomade and L'Immensite. I know that at some point I will buy them, although not at the same time, but I am trying to postpone that for as long as I can.

Latest News