Thoughts on Histoires de Parfums 1740 Marquis de Sade

BottleJunky

Jul 31, 2013
When I ordered my small 14ml bottle of 1725 from HdP I received a sample of 1740 and I was quite surprised by how much I liked it. I didn't think I would but I found it very pleasant. Normally I'm not a fan of gourmands but this one has some great dirty and smokey tobacco notes. I also get some nice boozy accords and some rough leather. I would like BNers thoughts on this one. It seems like this would be most appropriate for fall and winter. Cool spring days perhaps? I know this has been reformulated but I have never smelled the original and my sample was quite nice. I find it "dirty and rough' in a good way and the dry down is warm, mildly sweet and comforting. So what are your thoughts? Is this bottle worthy and is this wearable? I want to add one HdP bottle to my collection.

Colin Maillard

Jan 24, 2013
Totally worthy and totally wearable, I believe that is my favourite from the entire line. It's a splendid, round "gourmand" take on tobacco/patchouli accords! Really well-done, also it last for ages (on me at least) and the drydown is just beyond beautiful.

cacio

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Nov 5, 2010
I own it and love it. A warm, rich, complex scent with tobacco, leather, and immortelle. Definitely warm and enveloping. I have not compared various formulations, so I cannot comment on this.

cacio

Marais

Semi-Retired Member
Basenotes Plus
Nov 2, 2011
Not a popular view I expect but I dislike it immensely. Dense and cloying with immortelle overload.

PalmBeach

Apr 5, 2012
While I like it, as Maris said above, it is extremely heavy on the immortelle and can be cloying in warmer weather, so please watch how it is applied.

BRM85282

Mar 27, 2013
I'm one of the few who is on the fence about it. It's one that I WANT to like (and do enjoy the dry down), but I don't think it's for me. I like the idea of it, though. On paper, the notes are exactly something that I should like.

alfarom

Power Where You Need It
Basenotes Plus
Mar 4, 2011
I modern masterpiece in my book. Rumors say it has been reformulated but I honestly have no idea because I've never tried the current stock. With that said, as much as I generally loathe sweet stuff, I still find 1740 to move in holy grail territories. Dark, lustful and decadent but at the same time incredibly wearable if applied with moderation.

Big fan here.

BottleJunky

Jul 31, 2013
Testing again tonight and loving this stuff. Best I've smelled from HdP and I've smelled some beautiful HdP scents.

elevation

Aug 23, 2012
I love this frag. Dark but sweet and longevity on me is amazing. This and ambre 114 are my favorite from the house. Rosam is great also. This is a great house. So many scents are full bottle worthy.

pirop

Jul 8, 2009
1740 MdS is one of my winter favorites.One full spray and walk- through application for me.Definitely not suitable to wear on everyday basis IMO.

Slayerized

Jul 17, 2011
Here a review about its reformulation:

http://ismellthereforeiam.blogspot.nl/2012/08/histoires-de-parfums-1740-marquis-de.html

and here an old thread about 1740:

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/290374-Histoires-de-Parfums-1740-(Marquis-de-Sade)

I modern masterpiece in my book. Rumors say it has been reformulated but I honestly have no idea because I've never tried the current stock. With that said, as much as I generally loathe sweet stuff, I still find 1740 to move in holy grail territories. Dark, lustful and decadent but at the same time incredibly wearable if applied with moderation.

Big fan here.

hedonist222

Sep 13, 2010
I can confirm it's been reformulated.

It's been watered down.

It's still good but having smelled the initial formula, I can't bring myself to buy reformulated one.

Alternatively, look at CdG Patchouli.

elevation

Aug 23, 2012
How do you know if you have the reformulated? I think my bottle smells amazing. If I have a reformulation, the original is either off the charts or not very different.

hedonist222

Sep 13, 2010
How do you know if you have the reformulated? I think my bottle smells amazing. If I have a reformulation, the original is either off the charts or not very different.

Haha @ not very different.
Why? Have you self-limited how impressed you can be?

If you find yours amazing, that's all that matters.

superfluousPastry

Oct 14, 2014
Not a popular view I expect but I dislike it immensely. Dense and cloying with immortelle overload.

I should give it the benefit of a full wearing but sometimes you just know something isn't for you. 1740 is one of those things. It's not just the immortelle, a note which I love in Eau Noire but I'm not too fond of in general. It's the overall sickening sweetness and also something that's vaguely urinous about it.

I can detect most of the notes listed in the pyramid and it's obviously well crafted.

I'll come back to this on another day but I'm not looking forward to it. :(

Mrnybluesman

Jun 10, 2012
I also had the 14ml bottle some years ago. I didn't like it at first but it grew on me. I finished the bottle but decided against another one.

vitaman

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 14, 2008
It's rich without being formal.
It has received criticism for not being aptly named....as in the Marquis de Sade would never be caught dead in something that smelled this tame.
I liked it on first sniff. It has a pleasant Patchouli vibe to it that doesn't get old.

Latest News