Thoughts on Declaration?!

rum

Basenotes Plus
Mar 17, 2011
Had to add to this post... finally got a full bottle of Essence and wearing it for the first time. Holy cow is the cumin off the charts today, much stronger and spicier than what I got from my previous carded sample. The full bottle is a 2017 tester; not sure of the batch for the sample. Now I'm curious if this is batch variation, an intensifying effect due to the "aging" of the 2017 bottle, or just regular day to day swings in sensory perception. Pretty wild either way! (Still a lovely scent to my nose, but I can see why cumin haters would run screaming.)
Out of curiosity, can you tell us if the word 'Declaration' is written in ALL CAPPS (DECLARATION) or all lower case (declaration)? Thanks!

Toxicon

Basenotes Dependent
May 29, 2021
Out of curiosity, can you tell us if the word 'Declaration' is written in ALL CAPPS (DECLARATION) or all lower case (declaration)? Thanks!
This one is all caps. Quite the lovely bottle, all told.

EDIT: interesting plot twist. I checked the sample, and that one is all lower case. Do we know what means in terms of year range or formulation?

• Thanks
Reactions: rum

rum

Basenotes Plus
Mar 17, 2011
This one is all caps. Quite the lovely bottle, all told.

EDIT: interesting plot twist. I checked the sample, and that one is all lower case. Do we know what means in terms of year range or formulation?
Thanks for that.
Yup, 'declaration' is an older formulation than 'DECLARATION'. I have a small amount of the former and it is quite strong on the cumin. The white musks kick in towards the end and it settles down the relatively similar DNA of the classic EdT.

Declaration is easily one of the most successful scents out there. I don't think it gets enough love. Rarely has a cent had so many successful flankers.

Intrigued that the current EdT matures well, so will be putting this to the test.

rum

Basenotes Plus
Mar 17, 2011
The OP (and others) may also find this thread to be of use:

Toxicon

Basenotes Dependent
May 29, 2021
Thanks for that.
Yup, 'declaration' is an older formulation than 'DECLARATION'. I have a small amount of the former and it is quite strong on the cumin. The white musks kick in towards the end and it settles down the relatively similar DNA of the classic EdT.

Declaration is easily one of the most successful scents out there. I don't think it gets enough love. Rarely has a cent had so many successful flankers.

Intrigued that the current EdT matures well, so will be putting this to the test.
Oh excellent, thanks for sharing. And just to clarify: my all caps full bottle and lower case sample are for Declaration Essence. Interestingly, the cumin smelled stronger in the all caps version yesterday; the opening was quite pungent, though overall longevity seemed a little less than the lower case sample. Curious if the full bottle will start to last longer once I get some air into the bottle, as sometimes happens for whatever reason.

I do have a sample of the main pillar Declaration EDT - also lovely, but I need to give it a few more wears. (This one is all caps.) So far I think I slightly prefer Essence, but the heart accord is extremely similar.

Ifti

Basenotes Dependent
Aug 5, 2016
Side note, recent pickup Bois Vetiver by Lagerfeld. On paper very 'vetivery' - on skin woah, it's like declaration lite. Might be an option for Declaration lovers who want that vibe in warmer seasons.
It's got the juicy citrus (blood orange), rose and Vetiver that stand out.

Have enjoyed both vintage and current Declaration. Should get more air time tbh!

Jul 7, 2012
Wearing Declaration Essence today. What a weird, fascinating juxtaposition of notes. The cumin can be louder or softer depending on the day, but I love it anyway.
I'm wearing a sample of Declaration Essence today, and you summed up my thoughts really well. It's a very interesting scent. I haven't decided if it suits me, but I like how it gets warmer after an hour or two. It's a fascinating contradiction of soapy and dirty that seems like it shouldn't work, but it does.

Great stuff!

Salumbre

Basenotes Junkie
Jan 26, 2022
I tried it for the first time recently. I'm going to repost what I wrote elsewhere, with some reworking:

Declaration slaps you in the face. Its opening actually made me recoil. I bought it on eBay, so I thought that it could be a fake. It smelled like sweat and old, mummified spices.

It slowly calmed down, and gave a lot of fragrant woods for a while; then a bitter orange peel note that stayed and became quite realistic, but also made me want to smell it more and more. It was this strange chameleon that changed every time I smelled it.

I am a little intimidated, so I have not tried it on my skin yet. But I cannot say that I'm not intrigued and fascinated.

thouest do not be afraid! Ye shall loveth it on skinne!

I finally tried it on, and I'm afraid to say that I'm underwhelmed. On my skin, it's nothing but old sweat and mummified spices. For HOURS. Ick.

Scentologist

Basenotes Institution
Apr 17, 2007
Have always loved it. The cumin quickly dissipates in under 5 minutes and your left with that stellar cardamom center act. If you can't wait for the cumin to pass, Hermes Voyage is a lovely cardamom-centric fragrance, but I just find declaration to have more perforation and teeth about it. I'm thinking about it again as I have not worn it in more than a decade.

Salumbre

Basenotes Junkie
Jan 26, 2022
Disliking Déclaration is like hating black coffee and dark chocolate. Tastes differ and you're definitely not wrong but you're certainly missing out on a great experience.
That would be disliking it without having experienced it.

I have tried to like it over and over but it does not work for me. I can recognize and appreciate some of the Terre d'Hermes DNA there, but (unlike Terre d"Hermes) it's not something I want to smell. It's that simple.

Last edited:

Foamywax

Basenotes Dependent
May 2, 2013
Ofcourse it's your right not to like a fragrance.
As for me the day I bought Sauvage Elixir I found a new sample of declaration on the street.
Never really happened to me before. It's what made me go out and buy a bottle and start this thread.
Smells fantastic. But I don't think it's a crowd pleaser. This needs to be tried first..

SolaceKosmoskrator

Basenotes Member
Oct 19, 2021
Own vintage and contemporary. No difference really, if anything contemporary a little better but really more or less identical. Parfum also totally excellent - it’s sort of the snobs version of 540. I don’t like Essence myself. But nothing beats the opening of the original edt. Flinty, sharp & perfect

FOXHOUND

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jan 14, 2022
I love every version and flanker of this fragrance. I’m perfectly content with all of the variations and can find a suitable time to wear each of them. I feel like every collector should have some.
I am of the same opinion. I do like and appreciate the different ones for what they are. That being said, I will admit that D'un Soir Intense is the most challenging one I've smelled. I can't help but think that one needs to be a cool fall/cold winter scent.

woodnotes55

Basenotes Dependent
Oct 27, 2016
I am of the same opinion. I do like and appreciate the different ones for what they are. That being said, I will admit that D'un Soir Intense is the most challenging one I've smelled. I can't help but think that one needs to be a cool fall/cold winter scent.
I love every version and flanker of this fragrance. I’m perfectly content with all of the variations and can find a suitable time to wear each of them. I feel like every collector should have some.
Agree with both of you. Have blind bought a bunch of the flankers and like all so far. The exception... D'un Soir Intense!! I got some samples of it with some other cartier samples (not declaration line) and just can't get to liking it. I don't get the connection to regular declaration, and just comes across rough to me. But I still have samples and will try again now and then, maybe someday it will click. I bought Dun S'oir as I saw it cheap and was kind of nervous on it, but it's not bad.

Also agree some of the flankers have varied times as far as season and temp where they shine to cover many situations.....

Latest News

Whatever your taste in perfume, we've got you covered...

catalogue your collection, keep track of your perfume wish-list, log your daily fragrance wears, review your latest finds, seek out long-lost scented loves, keep track of the latest perfume news, find your new favourite fragrance, and discuss perfume with like-minded people from all over the world...