Thoughts on Declaration?!

Foamywax

Basenotes Dependent
May 2, 2013
I have a new bottle in my hands... Haven't worn this since 2000!
I was much younger and preferred more trendy fragrances and I think I wore it for a while and then gave it to a friend. I thought it was weird . My how my tastes have changed!! I love it now and can't believe it's taken me so long to buy another bottle. It smells the same to me..I'm wondering if there is a declaration expert here who could give any information on any changes that have been made over the years..
It's a 76% concentration which should make it quite rich hopefully.

Foamywax

Basenotes Dependent
May 2, 2013
It's quite beautiful actually but it seemed too classy for me in my 20's
I liked le male A*men and Hugo in 2000.
Now I love it.

Alex F.

Basenotes Junkie
Nov 29, 2019
I have two 10ml minis from the 2000s and a bottle from the mid 2010s. They smell very similar, but I prefer the newer version, because, strangely, to me it has less of a chemical (aldehydic?) bite and smells more rounded.
It's an interesting body-odour-type creation, but unfortunately, it doesn't work on/for me.

TRBeck

Basenotes Junkie
May 27, 2008
I can't comment on various versions, but I own the current version and find it simply wonderful. It is among a handful of fragrances that I felt at one with from the moment I sprayed them on. I don't particularly find the cumin note body-odorlike in this scent, although there is a dirty vibe from the cumin-cedar pairing. I find the clean/dirty and airy/earthy contrasts it expresses truly remarkable. I also own Declaration Essence. I consider both scents masterpieces.

Foamywax

Basenotes Dependent
May 2, 2013
I can't comment on various versions, but I own the current version and find it simply wonderful. It is among a handful of fragrances that I felt at one with from the moment I sprayed them on. I don't particularly find the cumin note body-odorlike in this scent, although there is a dirty vibe from the cumin-cedar pairing. I find the clean/dirty and airy/earthy contrasts it expresses truly remarkable. I also own Declaration Essence. I consider both scents masterpieces.
I haven't tried the flankers yet.
I was interested in the original edt but will try these sometime in the future. Glad you like the current version too.

MisterGrain

Basenotes Dependent
Apr 17, 2017
I like it: starts off spicy and dries down to a pleasant sharp orange scent.

It won't project through layers (coats, jackets, hoodies, etc), so I tend to put it in rotation when the temperatures are moderate (late spring and late summer).

Unfortunately, the formula in my 2016 bottle doesn't stand up to perspiration while working hard in the high heat.

Salumbre

Basenotes Junkie
Jan 26, 2022
I tried it for the first time recently. I'm going to repost what I wrote elsewhere, with some reworking:

Declaration slaps you in the face. Its opening actually made me recoil. I bought it on eBay, so I thought that it could be a fake. It smelled like sweat and old, mummified spices.

It slowly calmed down, and gave a lot of fragrant woods for a while; then a bitter orange peel note that stayed and became quite realistic, but also made me want to smell it more and more. It was this strange chameleon that changed every time I smelled it.

I am a little intimidated, so I have not tried it on my skin yet. But I cannot say that I'm not intrigued and fascinated.

Last edited:

thrilledchilled

All Is Beautiful
Basenotes Plus
Nov 17, 2018
I tried it for the first time recently. I'm going to repost what I wrote elsewhere, with some reworking:

Declaration slaps you in the face. Its opening actually made me recoil. I bought it on eBay, so I thought that it could be a fake. It smelled like sweat and old, mummified spices.

Then it slowly calmed down, and gave a lot of fragrant woods for a while; then a bitter orange peel note that stayed and became quite realistic, but also made me want to smell it more and more. It was this strange chameleon that changed every time I smelled it.

I am a little intimidated, so I have not tried it on my skin yet. But I cannot say that I'm not intrigued and fascinated.

thouest do not be afraid! Ye shall loveth it on skinne!

Foamywax

Basenotes Dependent
May 2, 2013

It slowly calmed down, and gave a lot of fragrant woods for a while; then a bitter orange peel note that stayed and became quite realistic, but also made me want to smell it more and more. It was this strange chameleon that changed every time I smelled it.

That's how I felt twenty years ago.
Now I love it.

Toxicon

Basenotes Dependent
May 29, 2021
I've been nursing a sample of Declaration Essence, which I absolutely love, and finally sprang for a full bottle last night. I've got samples of Declaration EDT and d'Un Soir on the way, and I'm really curious to see how they all fit together.

In case anyone's curious, Essence is focused on tea, vetiver, and warm spices, with a smooth, almost fruity orange blossom and lavender opening. Gorgeous, unisex, and fascinating. The cumin is there but I don't get any BO funk, and I'm occasionally sensitive to it in other scents (CdG 2 Man, for example, which I have to be in the mood for; Essence I could wear any time). Earned a rare compliment from my wife, too.

rum

Basenotes Plus
Mar 17, 2011
I have a new bottle in my hands... Haven't worn this since 2000!
I was much younger and preferred more trendy fragrances and I think I wore it for a while and then gave it to a friend. I thought it was weird . My how my tastes have changed!! I love it now and can't believe it's taken me so long to buy another bottle. It smells the same to me..I'm wondering if there is a declaration expert here who could give any information on any changes that have been made over the years..
It's a 76% concentration which should make it quite rich hopefully.
Good to see you have rediscovered this one. I have been fond of it ever since I started on my fragrance journey and see Terre d'Hermes as one of its direct descendants.

I'd encourage you to read through this thread regarding older versions/formulations of the fragrance.

Salumbre

Basenotes Junkie
Jan 26, 2022

rum

Basenotes Plus
Mar 17, 2011
I haven't tried the flankers yet.
I was interested in the original edt but will try these sometime in the future. Glad you like the current version too.
Once you do, you will be stuck in the rabbit hole of Declaration flankers. One of the few fragrances where I love the original and several flankers. You won't be disappointed with these:
  • Cologne (discontinued) - Declaration accord meets ginger. Benchmark ginger scent
  • D'un Soir - one of the nicest rose scents marketed to men
  • Essence - as others have said, tea, vetiver & cumin
  • L'Eau (discontinued) - Declaration accord meets grapefruit. Benchmark grapefruit scent

Cook.bot

Flâneuse
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
Cologne (discontinued) - Declaration accord meets ginger. Benchmark ginger scent

Oh no! They discontinued the cologne?? Damn, I loved that stuff. And I think I only have a 1-ounce bottle left.

But my favorite flanker is still Essence. It's the only perfume I know of that actually lives up to being given that moniker.

What in Hermès name is going on here???? :ROFLMAO:

Refer to thrilledchilled's signature line.

rum

Basenotes Plus
Mar 17, 2011
Oh no! They discontinued the cologne?? Damn, I loved that stuff. And I think I only have a 1-ounce bottle left.

But my favorite flanker is still Essence. It's the only perfume I know of that actually lives up to being given that moniker.
Cologne is still discontinued as far as I am aware, but you do tend to find the odd bottle here and there. Keep your eyes peeled ;)

Ken_Russell

Basenotes Institution
Jan 21, 2006
Still enjoying this ever since its first release and in any subsequent release (though not having any knowledge about any reformulations vs. older vintages nor truly sensing differences) - also including nearly all Declaration flankers did so far try and/or own

Brian5701

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 28, 2009
When I first smelled it in 2012-ish, I was getting a lot of cumin and body odor. I thought it was terrible. Now, I don’t get those notes at all and I love it. Has it changed, or have I?

Toxicon

Basenotes Dependent
May 29, 2021
Wearing Declaration Essence today. What a weird, fascinating juxtaposition of notes. The cumin can be louder or softer depending on the day, but I love it anyway.
Had to add to this post... finally got a full bottle of Essence and wearing it for the first time. Holy cow is the cumin off the charts today, much stronger and spicier than what I got from my previous carded sample. The full bottle is a 2017 tester; not sure of the batch for the sample. Now I'm curious if this is batch variation, an intensifying effect due to the "aging" of the 2017 bottle, or just regular day to day swings in sensory perception. Pretty wild either way! (Still a lovely scent to my nose, but I can see why cumin haters would run screaming.)

Latest News

Whatever your taste in perfume, we've got you covered...

catalogue your collection, keep track of your perfume wish-list, log your daily fragrance wears, review your latest finds, seek out long-lost scented loves, keep track of the latest perfume news, find your new favourite fragrance, and discuss perfume with like-minded people from all over the world...