Thoughts on Declaration Haute Fraicheur

absolutesauvage

Basenotes Member
Jul 17, 2016
Picked this up from Nordstrom, got the last bottle. It sold out which surprised the SA. This is basically an extremely watered down Declaration mixed with a Bvlgari green tea scent. It's not bad, in fact it smells extremely pleasant and fresh but I have several issues with it. First is projection: There's none. Full disclosure I shake my head at people constantly posting how they want fragrances that fill rooms, I just don't get it. Projection is literally the last thing I care about, so for me to say the projection here is awful should be a sign. I have to pull my undershirt up to my nose to smell it, but I can smell it with the same intensity eight hours later. I'm going to experiment with spraying my clothes, maybe it blooms better that way. My second issue is the same I have with many companies doing endless flankers: This isn't Declaration, it's a whole new fragrance that's barely related and they are attempting to capitalize on the popularity(?) of Declaration rather than start a new line. Which is bizarre to me, I've only met two people who wore Declaration and only one actually loved it. To me Declaration is all about the sweat and spices that are barely contained to the point it's somewhat office safe. On my skin Kouros is an easier where than Declaration, but I love Declaration. Haute is a good frag but it's simply not Declaration.

On the plus side, I had an idea today and managed to solve my problem: I layered with Declaration L'eau.
I don't like L'eau. To me it's the most challenging parts of Declaration brought to the forefront, sweaty grapefruit for hours. But two sprays of L'eau with four sprays of Haute made something beautiful. I'm not one to layer, but this combo gave enough of the grit back to Haute to make it feel like Declaration. Now there's a little bit of swagger and edge to the smell, feels more like an 8/10.

• Insightful
Reactions: rum

hednic

Basenotes Institution
Oct 25, 2007
Happen to own this and like it quite a lot. Have no problems with longevity.

Last edited:

GoldWineMemories

Basenotes Dependent
Nov 22, 2019
It was okay. I didn't really think it was striking or that interesting, but not bad. I'd probably wear it over a lot of other stuff I find sold at stores that stock these fragrances.

FOXHOUND

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jan 14, 2022
I have it and enjoy wearing it. It has a pleasant scent as well as decent longevity for me. I have had good luck with a spray behind each ear and one or two on the back of the neck. I'll also spray in the crook of my elbows if wearing short sleeved shirts. Nice spring/summer scent.

Ken_Russell

Basenotes Institution
Jan 21, 2006
Liked it quite a bit as a fresher flanker to the regular and also higher concentration versions of Declaration, with the slight disclaimer of not enjoying this as much as the aforementioned higher performance takes on Cartier Declaration

Brian5701

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 28, 2009
I like it, but I almost wish they had named it something else. It's connection to the Declaration DNA is tenuous. That said, Declaration Soir doesn't smell like the original either.

Latest News