Thoughts about JB and Crossmen, please ?

Ken_Russell

Basenotes Institution
Jan 21, 2006
Unfamiliar with JB, however familiar with the Coty Crossmen- which was basically a budget, inexpensive version of a green fougere chypre similar to the style of Polo Green, Guy Laroche Horizon, Sir Irisch Moos, Marbert Gentleman, the Duc de Vervins range.
However not necessarily with cheaper or lower quality ingredients, just with slightly decreased performance in comparison to its pricier counterparts.

Jean-Sté

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jan 1, 2021
Unfamiliar with JB, however familiar with the Coty Crossmen- which was basically a budget, inexpensive version of a green fougere chypre similar to the style of Polo Green, Guy Laroche Horizon, Sir Irisch Moos, Marbert Gentleman, the Duc de Vervins range.
However not necessarily with cheaper or lower quality ingredients, just with slightly decreased performance in comparison to its pricier counterparts.
Thank you very much, Ken_Russell, for the explanations !

nosey74

Basenotes Dependent
Aug 30, 2014
I don't have personal experience with this fragrance, however, according to Fragrantica: "Crossmen Original by Coty is a Aromatic fragrance for men. Crossmen Original was launched in 1989. Top notes are Bergamot, Grapefruit and Pineapple; middle notes are Nutmeg, Orange and Black Pepper; base notes are Sandalwood, Cedar and Vanilla."

Sounds good to me!

I also don't know JB but found this on Italian eBay:

s-l1600.jpg

PStoller

I’m not old, I’m vintage.
Basenotes Plus
Aug 1, 2019
Here's the pic from Nosey's link:

JB.jpg

Here's an older listing from the same vendor:

JBSS.jpg

My suspicion—and it's only that—is, 1) "Morland of London" is as English as Fabergé is French; and 2) Ian Fleming's estate (or whomever purchased the rights) sued over JB Secret Service—hence the torn-off image and "Secret Service" on the first box, and the lack of any other branding on Jean-Sté's set—leaving Morland with nothing but initials and debt. Morland also issued a feminine fragrance called Carnaby, and as far as I can tell, that's it.

In any case, I'll be curious to know what it smells like.

Perfumania - America's Leading Perfumery Chain!

Latest News

. .