Theories on uber-amber anosmia

Alriyah

Jan 6, 2021
I am becoming more and more convinced that most people are anosmic to the class of accords which I call "uber-ambers" (Amber Xtreme and the like). I am not someone who believes that my tastes are the definition of what is "good" or "bad". There are many common notes/accords that I don't like (tuberose, gardenia, white musk, aldehyde C12 lauric), but I have no problem recognizing those preferences as opinions, not facts. The uber-ambers are something different. The trend towards overdosing the uber-ambers makes many popular fragrances intolerable for me. Not because I don't like the way they smell, but because smelling one is such an overwhelming assault on my senses that I cannot stand it. It's not just a matter of taste. It is an objectively unpleasant experience. The best way I can explain it is to say that it's like a fire alarm. Fire alarms are intentional assaults on your senses designed specifically to make you get away from the source of it as quickly as you can. Smelling uber-ambers is just as overwhelming as a fire alarm to me, so when I see other perfumista's reviewing things like Amouage Enclave or Francesca Bianchi The Dark Side and they're talking about "light, fresh mint" or "honeyed amber" I know that we are not smelling the same thing. Who can hear the hum of a refrigerator over the merciless blare of a fire alarm? The only explanation is that they literally can't perceive the uber-amber. They are anosmic to it. That's my theory anyway, and it does kind of worry me because people tell me all the time that they are "sensitive" to "strong floral" perfumes. Maybe there's some component in a common floral accord that's like a fire alarm to them, but I'm anosmic to it? Do you have any accords that you swear people must be mostly anosmic to?

Latest News

Whatever your taste in perfume, we've got you covered...

catalogue your collection, keep track of your perfume wish-list, log your daily fragrance wears, review your latest finds, seek out long-lost scented loves, keep track of the latest perfume news, find your new favourite fragrance, and discuss perfume with like-minded people from all over the world...