Theoretical (i.e., Blind) Buy of Fendi Theorema

Redneck Perfumisto

League of Cycloöctadiene Isomer Aestheticists
Basenotes Plus
Feb 27, 2008
Our Mitsouko-loving friend, Nick Tesla, has given his stamp of approval to this discontinued feminine from Fendi. I've seen sporadic mad love for Theorema on Basenotes, but I've never seen it for sale at a reasonable price.

And - heck - I gotta be honest. The name is just wicked cool.

Well, three bottles just popped up on fragrancenet.com (at least, they show up as 3 bottles on Amazon) - and with the Basenotes discount code (BASENOTES) that's 15% off, plus free shipping, so the already-reasonable price of around $130 dropped to about $110 on the barrelhead. I decided to pull the trigger and see what the fuss is all about. Worst case, if I don't love it, I can sell. And I wanted to give you ladies the heads-up on the other bottles.

So what have I gotten myself into? Is this stuff really all it's supposed to be? Are there a lot of fakes floating around? What's the story on this fragrance? Thanks for anything you want to share.

Twolf

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Feb 26, 2005
Long time ago I had a teaser about it, the main notes being described as orange pomanders and melted candle wax mixed with "the party is over" feeling.

How are Fendi fragrances on you in general?

Twolf

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Feb 26, 2005
We posted at the same time, cello: "the party is over" and "the sunset variety". How cool is this?

Redneck Perfumisto

Basenotes Plus
Feb 27, 2008
Long time ago I had a teaser about it, the main notes being described as orange pomanders and melted candle wax mixed with "the party is over" feeling.

How are Fendi fragrances on you in general?

That sounds quite good.

I know next to nothing about Fendi. Aromi posted about the regular Fendi, saying things that sounded good but not really up my alley for either me or my wife. The only one I have sniffed is the new one, and frankly, the bottle and the glitzy ads are the most interesting thing about that. But it made me check for Theorema on the web - and lo and behold - bottles. I had checked on it when Nick raved, and the price didn't add up to what I knew.

I bought the ladies' Mauboussin EDP, and I love it, but the rotten sweet fruit is so nuclear, I have to back off for months between wears. But I love barely smoky/very waxy and orange/orange blossom scents, so this could work out.

Liquid sunshine, but of the sunset variety. It always reminds me of a beautiful sunset, all aglow with thick orange and pink and red. I think it is a fairly safe blind buy, as there is not much to offend, IMHO.

Sounds good. Sounds REALLY good, actually.

We posted at the same time, cello: "the party is over" and "the sunset variety". How cool is this?

And I was just about to post this same sentiment! :) In tune this morning, aren't we!

This morning and almost always, and I don't want it any other way.

You ladies are cool. :beer:

Spicy, cozy orange scent, my SOTD actually. If you like Arabie and other sweet & spicy Lutens I think you will like Theorema.

I know that Arabie turned my head in Las Vegas, but the money fell on something else that day (and it wasn't gambling, either! :evil: ). I definitely think I dodged the bullet on this blind buy.

Thanks for chiming in! :happy:

Redneck Perfumisto

Basenotes Plus
Feb 27, 2008
Red, you will not be disappointed in this cozy wonder. One of my best blind buys ever,
due to chat on BN when I first joined.

Awesome, Knit! I really thought this was good stuff.

I'll bet I saw the same threads you're thinking of. I couldn't find them by searching, but it sounds like you're remembering the same discussion. :smiley:

kewart

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jan 9, 2006
Theorema is one of my favourites for this time of year - the others being
Mauboussin, Visa and Anne Pliska. They all share a certain voluptuousness
and warmth. I don't think you will be disappointed with Theorema and if you are
I am sure there are many on this site who will gladly relieve you of it!!

elizrj

Nov 9, 2010
Whats odd about this one to me is that i always get a strong hit of pencil lead on this one. I love the scent, but can't seem to get past the pencil!

Redneck Perfumisto

Basenotes Plus
Feb 27, 2008
Theorema is one of my favourites for this time of year - the others being
Mauboussin, Visa and Anne Pliska. They all share a certain voluptuousness
and warmth. I don't think you will be disappointed with Theorema and if you are
I am sure there are many on this site who will gladly relieve you of it!!

That's what I like to hear! If you're putting it in roughly the same basket with Mauboussin, it's likely to be one that I will go for! :happy:

Whats odd about this one to me is that i always get a strong hit of pencil lead on this one. I love the scent, but can't seem to get past the pencil!

I've been in love with both pencil shavings and pencil leads since childhood. I actually bought those fat kindergarden pencils in college just to sniff them. So we're good with this buy here in RP-ville! :thumbsup:

Redneck Perfumisto

Basenotes Plus
Feb 27, 2008
Score ahoy -- congratulations!

PS: You must know about the infamous film "Teorema" by Pasolini, right?

I'm sure I heard of it, because the plot sounds specifically familiar (more than just the oft-done "stranger comes into a group and changes all individials" story), but I did not connect it to the name. I have never seen it - I'm almost certain.

But now that's on my test list - though not necessarily on my blind buy list! :wink:

Redneck Perfumisto

Basenotes Plus
Feb 27, 2008
Ah, yes! What a great buy! :happy:

If Obsession for Men were re-imagined in the last few years by Jean-Claude Ellena (transparency) and Olivier Polge (femininity), it might come close to Theorema.

And I totally agree with the sunset / party is over / melted candles thing. REALLY classy. And absolutely guy-friendly. In fact, it's like a version of Obsession for Men without Calvin Klein, the '80's, "old man", powerhouse, big hair, discos, and ALL the baggage.

Very cool stuff. This could be my new favorite oriental / amber / evening / warm-me-up scent.

I was a bit concerned at first. It seemed a bit weak - I was honestly expecting something louder. WRONG. I do think the bottle may be just a bit faded, but the orange topnotes seem very beautiful, and the overall fragrance is simply too good to be a fake. I'm semi-anosmic to amber - I didn't expect the beautiful amber note, which I have to wait for several minutes between sniffs to get.

It's a keeper! :beer:

DeletedUser20210620

Jan 27, 2007
Fendi Theorema is a perfect fragrance for summer in my opinion. It's able to achieve a balance between a creamy note, a sheer incensed base and a tangerine citric note. The first time i had one i found that it didn't last and then i saw my bottle. I regreted, but to my lucky i was able to find another one and then i noticed that it last, but in a whispering voice that is what makes me think of it as complex scent for summer days

kasae

Mar 27, 2005
It's a nice scent - I hope you enjoy it.

I went and put some on today, inspired by this thread. Warm and spicy and orange. I wouldn't have been surprised if it had been a masculine based on the smell.

Haunani

Apr 25, 2008
Hi RP! I'm just reading this. I'm glad you're happy with your purchase. I went down the same road a year or two ago and never looked back. In fact, I now have a backup bottle of this most lovable fragrance. Enjoy!

Redneck Perfumisto

Basenotes Plus
Feb 27, 2008
Thanks, all! And great to see you again, Haunani! :)

Yes, I'm really loving it. Every time I wear it, I think that maybe it's just a bit too weak, but then as I'm going about doing things, I get strong wisps of it that just smell amazing. I agree that this could be really nice in the summer heat. No way does it ever seem cloying - just perfect citrus on top of a restrained, classy, light amber. It's a keeper.

Oh, no - you said the B-word, Haunani! Oh no! Do I need a b.b.b.bback-up? OH NO!!!!

calmpanic.jpg

(Image fondly stolen from Mimi Gardenia! :happy:)

Last edited:

DeletedUser20210620

Jan 27, 2007
Redneck, fendi theorema has an extrait version. It`s hard to find, but maybe you have more luck than me in finding it and maybe it`s exactly the version with an extra intensity that you are looking for.

jacona

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Oct 17, 2003
Glad you love Theorema! It's the most perfect scent to my nose, but I get a huge blast of spices and cream, very little citrus. I wish Fendi would start prodicing it again. Since it's been discontinued, I rarely wear it to make the supply stretch, but still love it so much. I have the Esprit d'ete and that has far more tangelo and amber to my nose, subdued spiciness, still lovely though. We need to petition Fendi to bring it back!

Redneck Perfumisto

Basenotes Plus
Feb 27, 2008
Redneck, fendi theorema has an extrait version. It`s hard to find, but maybe you have more luck than me in finding it and maybe it`s exactly the version with an extra intensity that you are looking for.

Yes - definitely - you're reading my mind. I will watch for this, although I would have to be incredibly lucky I agree.

Glad you love Theorema! It's the most perfect scent to my nose, but I get a huge blast of spices and cream, very little citrus. I wish Fendi would start prodicing it again. Since it's been discontinued, I rarely wear it to make the supply stretch, but still love it so much. I have the Esprit d'ete and that has far more tangelo and amber to my nose, subdued spiciness, still lovely though. We need to petition Fendi to bring it back!

I may look for the Esprit d'ete now as well - I wasn't sure at first, and bypassed it, but if it's even close to the regular, it's good.

Oops, sorry! I've got very few backups (Theorema, Nu EdP, and one or two others). When I do buy one, I always feel a little twisted. Or something. :rolleyesold:

Yes - backups are the full kinkiness of our twisted molecular love! :engel017:

cosmopolit

Mar 2, 2010
I have been wrestling with Theorema for a while now: it is on the border of too feminine for me, and I am no friend to amber.

But there is something about how this fragrance combines orange, spice, floral and musk that makes it just irresistible!

Welcome to theory-land, LP!

Redneck Perfumisto

Basenotes Plus
Feb 27, 2008
Love the way you put it! :lolk:

Thanks, Haunani! :grin:

Red, I've got Big T , Esprit D'ete and Theorema Leggero and I love them all!!!

I'm beginning to think that Theorema is like a puppy or a kitty. We can't let it get lonely.....!

...But there is something about how this fragrance combines orange, spice, floral and musk that makes it just irresistible!

Welcome to theory-land, LP!

It has certainly dug its way into my scent memory. I find myself comparing everything to it. I was even sniffing the new Fan di Fendi in Sephora last weekend, and caught a slight homage to Theorema in the opening. I was starting to have some hopes for that fragrance, but sadly the resemblance disappeared within a few minutes, and never came back. I think the creators of FdF may have borrowed just a bit of Theorema's orange goodness for the topnotes.

scent

Jan 17, 2009
I too blind bought Theroema last year but was really, really, REALLY disappointed. I think my bottle had gone off. All I got was quite a masculine, one-dimensional "fuzzy" oriental with no development and seemed to disappear on skin and fabric very quickly :(

sugo

Oct 28, 2011
I absolutely love Theorema. It's like enveloping yourself in something warm and sweet, but not cloying. It was my fragrance of choice when I was around 16-17. This thread has made me go on a mad hunt for this fragrance, but the prices are quite high. It seems to be more in demand now than it was 12 years ago.

What are your thoughts on Esprit d'Ete or Leggero?

Cute_cute_baby

Feb 25, 2009
It's ok.
"Spicy, cozy orange scent"? Yes, you got it.
"Liquid sushine"? maybe, but it's more like a dry-out "liquid sunshine concentrate" to me.
Overall, this one is cozy and comfort but just oh so slightly comfort. Not ultimately comfort as I had expected.
And moreover, I like the orange (peel and juice) note, but not so much in this one! =/

N_Tesla

Apr 29, 2008
Fendi Theorema is well worth having in one's collection. One of the variants of Fendi Theorema is Theorema Esprit d'ete, which I find is the even more summery version of Theorema. I am aways glad to see discussion of this fragrance line now, sadly, discontinued. Wear Theorema in good health. By the way, I am wearing Mitsouko tonight. No surprise eh? LOL Chow!

Sunnyfunny

Dec 21, 2008
Sunny Layering two treasures like that is either pure genius or a decadent use of precious juice. That said- think I'll try it later tonight LOL

Both :) I've only done it once. Whenever I've thought about doing it again, I've gone with your second line of reasoning and stuck with whichever I put on first. Did you try it?

knit at nite

Sep 5, 2009
Both :) I've only done it once. Whenever I've thought about doing it again, I've gone with your second line of reasoning and stuck with whichever I put on first. Did you try it?

Yes I did try it tonight, finally. Put on Theorema, then Mitsy. It's really rich- on me the peach note in Mitsy disappeared and the orangey note in Theorema got juicier. Very decadent, indeed. FUN.

Staff online

Latest News