the tragedy of silver mountain water

Unvisible

Feb 15, 2012
Just my opinion..... keep in mind.

2011. I ordered 3 authentic creed samples: himalaya, original vetiver and silver mountain water. Silver mountain water was unlike anything I'd ever smelled, and it is still a unique scent today..... kind of.

2013. Went in on a split for about 2.5 oz of SMW. The projection and staying power were phenomenal. 12 hours and more. Sold it because money was/is tight.

2021. I realize how much I miss this smell, and order a 50ml authentic bottle of SMW. There is no debate it is reformulated. Absolutely castrated from what it once was. That aside, it disappeared within 10 minutes. Not changed to a skin scent, it disappeared. I returned the bottle and was and am still pretty bummed out. I order 2 carded samples to see if there is still a chance that there are batches that have the effect of my older bottle, but same thing. Poof. Gone into nothing, and lacks all of the magic of the original formula. And I get it. Cheaper ingredients, synthetics, diluted.... it's all about money. If you are able to enjoy SMW and your bottle retains that magic and longevity, then appreciate that. To me it's not what it once was. And talk of "letting it age" and maceration is bull. I'm not going to try and justify a diluted bottle with the excuse of letting it age.

So.... I'm not trying to complain, it's more of a lament. I feel like SMW is gone for good. The non millesime creeds are very pathetic in my opinion. Cheap and not long lasting. I appreciate the time I got to enjoy it, and Armaf did a killer job cloning it. Club de nuit sillage is phenomenal and is quite close to my old bottle. But that tea note..... I miss it. Does anyone feel the same?

Renato

Oct 21, 2002
Some Creeds are variable.
I posted here years ago how Millesime Imperial lasted barely two hours on me, then two years later I used another tester and it lasted seven hours.
Similarly, Virgin Island Water on first testing lasted about 50 minuts, but a few years later lasted eight hours.
So since you have luxury of being able to return the bottle (unlike where I live), just buy a bottle every couple of years and see if SMW has come good again.
Cheers,
Renato

Sheik Yerbouti

oakmoss fiend
Basenotes Plus
Jul 20, 2017
Had a 2015 which boomed off the skin, then a 2017/2018 which was far more citrusy and sat closer to the skin.
My Girl started wearing them and that was that. It kind of became her thing. No more SMW for Sheik.

If you really like it that much it may be worth trying to hunt down an older bottle.

StylinLA

Aug 9, 2009
I went though a SMW phase in early summer. Found the Creed version nice, but lacking in longevity.

Have since tried Xerjoff Mefisto and Armaf Sillage. Very satisfied with both. Mefisto has more "punch" but both have amazing legs on me. I've never been big on clones, but the Armaf is surprisingly good and does not smell like a cheap knockoff.

But, while quite similar to SMW after drydown, they are not exactly like SMW. SMW has more overall "edge" and that inky note opening. I know what you're saying about the SMW tea note and personally I'm not enough of a purist on this scent to miss it.

Unvisible

Feb 15, 2012
I went though a SMW phase in early summer. Found the Creed version nice, but lacking in longevity.

Have since tried Xerjoff Mefisto and Armaf Sillage. Very satisfied with both. Mefisto has more "punch" but both have amazing legs on me. I've never been big on clones, but the Armaf is surprisingly good and does not smell like a cheap knockoff.

But, while quite similar to SMW after drydown, they are not exactly like SMW. SMW has more overall "edge" and that inky note opening. I know what you're saying about the SMW tea note and personally I'm not enough of a purist on this scent to miss it.
Part of the point I was trying to make is that Armaf’s sillage is closer to the original millesime formulas of smw than the current formulation that creed laughably sells. If the Armaf had the tea note and a bit less sweetness it would be a dead ringer.

drseid

Sound Scents
Basenotes Plus
Jun 1, 2003
I always thought its *release* was a tragedy. ;-) If it has been reformulated, I will have to eventually re-sniff it to see if I now can tolerate it. That said, I understand the pain you feel, as it can really be a let-down when one of our favorites is reformulated and diminished.

Sheik Yerbouti

oakmoss fiend
Basenotes Plus
Jul 20, 2017
I always thought its *release* was a tragedy. ;-) If it has been reformulated, I will have to eventually re-sniff it to see if I now can tolerate it. That said, I understand the pain you feel, as it can really be a let-down when one of our favorites is reformulated and diminished.
It’s definitely a different animal. Last time I sniffed it, I noticed it doesn’t come across as inky anymore and the tea note is also faint. The top is a more vibrant sparkly citrus with a prominent blackcurrant and there’s still a pleasant sandalwood/amber musk base.

speckmann0706

Mar 8, 2017
It was a excellent fragrance always found it a joy to wear, it’s always bothersome when a wealthy company buys a house and destroys it the art of fragrance shouldn’t be altered. I’d definitely track down a older bottle 2018< you will easily find them still.

StylinLA

Aug 9, 2009
Part of the point I was trying to make is that Armaf’s sillage is closer to the original millesime formulas of smw than the current formulation that creed laughably sells. If the Armaf had the tea note and a bit less sweetness it would be a dead ringer.
Yup. Totally in agreement. Sillage has really grown on me though.

May 22, 2021
Just my opinion..... keep in mind.

2011. I ordered 3 authentic creed samples: himalaya, original vetiver and silver mountain water. Silver mountain water was unlike anything I'd ever smelled, and it is still a unique scent today..... kind of.

2013. Went in on a split for about 2.5 oz of SMW. The projection and staying power were phenomenal. 12 hours and more. Sold it because money was/is tight.

2021. I realize how much I miss this smell, and order a 50ml authentic bottle of SMW. There is no debate it is reformulated. Absolutely castrated from what it once was. That aside, it disappeared within 10 minutes. Not changed to a skin scent, it disappeared. I returned the bottle and was and am still pretty bummed out. I order 2 carded samples to see if there is still a chance that there are batches that have the effect of my older bottle, but same thing. Poof. Gone into nothing, and lacks all of the magic of the original formula. And I get it. Cheaper ingredients, synthetics, diluted.... it's all about money. If you are able to enjoy SMW and your bottle retains that magic and longevity, then appreciate that. To me it's not what it once was. And talk of "letting it age" and maceration is bull. I'm not going to try and justify a diluted bottle with the excuse of letting it age.

So.... I'm not trying to complain, it's more of a lament. I feel like SMW is gone for good. The non millesime creeds are very pathetic in my opinion. Cheap and not long lasting. I appreciate the time I got to enjoy it, and Armaf did a killer job cloning it. Club de nuit sillage is phenomenal and is quite close to my old bottle. But that tea note..... I miss it. Does anyone feel the same?
Thanks for starting this convo. I just bought a 2021 bottle as a back-up to my 2017 bottle and there's a big difference. I'm not someone to obsess about batch codes or reformulations but this is definitely worse. The beautiful, natural smelling opening isn't as present. I find there to be a type of unpleasant ginger note instead of the usual tea/black currant/metal/inky notes in my older bottle. I have samples from 2019 and they still smell good, so I think it's a recent change. This is actually my first bottle after the Blackrock purchase, so maybe that's an issue.

I also recently bought Sillage. Although I love CDNIM, I don't think sillage is a great recreation. It's good for the price but I get little note separation and a scratchy ambroxan or woody note that actually reminds me of MB explorer. Again, it's good for 30-40 bucks, but it's not a "SMW Killer" like some consider CDNIM to be for aventus. I'm definitely going to rely on Mefisto to scratch that SMW itch, especially it's beautiful and fruity opening.

Last edited:

Unvisible

Feb 15, 2012
Smw doesn’t tend to age well. I remember getting sample vials a decade ago and after a year or two they would go sour. The samples were always kept in the dark in a climate controlled room. A bit hesitant to buy a big bottle of the pre 2016 formula because it may turn sour before I use all of it! I’m also not interested in decants.

rum

Basenotes Plus
Mar 17, 2011
Whilst I've never been fond of SMW, I can certainly relate to a lot of the heartbreak expressed in this thread with regards to other Creeds.
From my own favourites, Aventus, Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial and even Original Vetiver appear to have been tweaked.
I am lucky enough to still have quite a bit of 2019 Aventus (which I know is nowhere near what is was in 2010-2014). Since it got the Creed treatment in 2020, I haven't even tried the new stuff.
Original Vetiver's newer bottles seem to have less vetiver in the base and more of an amber-like note plus added DHM.
GIT, which I no longer own and have no idea if I'll ever be able to get my hands on a decent batch, has been watered down to thin air. Wouldn't touch the current stuff with a barge pole.
I am down to using the last few drops of what MI I have left. After that, I doubt I'll have anything to do with this scent given the current stuff lasts seconds.
To give Creed some credit though, I was quite impressed by this year's Viking Cologne release, which reminds me of the original Terre d' Hermes. But it's certainly no replacement for Creed's past glory.

Latest News