The official Ralph Lauren Polo Green thread

ChuckW

Aug 21, 2001
I was/am one of the hyperbole people. To be fair though, the last time I tried a more modern Polo was around maybe 2014-2015, which seems to be the nadir of the reformulation crisis, with some releases apparently having rebounded since then.

I wonder if some replacement materials became available or less expensive between then and now? Or maybe we're all mistaken. This is a very anecdotal observation. Just seems like I see a lot "that 2014 batch, good lord...stay away" type of statements.

I'm with you. I bought a bottle at CVS about 2 years ago and it was awful. It actually stunk. I took it back.

I'll try to sample a new batch and see if it's improved. I'm not a hype dude...I smell what I smell. My wife and I both thought the new juice stank, and we love vintage Polo.

Brooks Otterlake

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Feb 12, 2019
I was/am one of the hyperbole people. To be fair though, the last time I tried a more modern Polo was around maybe 2014-2015, which seems to be the nadir of the reformulation crisis, with some releases apparently having rebounded since then.

I wonder if some replacement materials became available or less expensive between then and now? Or maybe we're all mistaken. This is a very anecdotal observation. Just seems like I see a lot "that 2014 batch, good lord...stay away" type of statements.
This is an interesting line of conversation because it really does seem like there was a span of years there where reformulations (likely hastily and recklessly done) were absolutely terrible, and things have seemed to even out in the years since.

I think it may just be that perfumers have found better ways to replicate the restricted ingredients, but that it just took a bit of experimentation to get there on their part and on the part of the big aromachemical firms.

I don't have much to compare current Polo to. The last time I smelled classic Polo was between '05 and '09, and since then I hadn't touched the stuff until the other day. Given what I'd heard, I was surprised by how much I liked what I smelled; it was still very distinctive and still very rich. Admittedly, I didn't properly wear it, so the drydown might've been more disappointing.

Ifti

Aug 5, 2016
Polo connoisseurs will put this right and know much better,
The 2013 one had had, as Chuck says 'stunk'. Now with more experience of oak moss (chanel PM, aramis 900, armani Eau and some real essential oil) I kinda feel it was maybe a substitute that made it smell offf. I do get a salivic vibe from oak moss so I assume that the substitute emulated this somewhat, but it came off bad, very much dry spittle .
Anyhow that's my 2 cents, might be way off the mark!

Diamondflame

Frag Bomber 1st Squadron
Basenotes Plus
Jun 28, 2009

It is entirely plausible. Iirc the Polo I smelled at the fragrance counters in 2017/18 was nowhere near as bad as some of the earlier ones and still ranks among the best the house has to offer (which isn’t saying much lol). I have since acquired 2 bottles of the Cosmair vintage at an acceptable little premium, effectively rendering these debates moot, at least for me. I’d like to advise original Polo-lovers to do likewise while they still can.

Brooks Otterlake

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Feb 12, 2019
It is entirely plausible. Iirc the Polo I smelled at the fragrance counters in 2017/18 was nowhere near as bad as some of the earlier ones and still ranks among the best the house has to offer (which isn’t saying much lol).
Thanks for clearing this up. This is good news in general (even if vintage is superior, it's good that the widely available version isn't a travesty since the vintage supply is always limited), though I'll still go with Cosmair if I decide to pick up Polo.

Alex Krycek

Sep 6, 2016
Interesting timing seeing this thread at the top.

I just sprayed on (sort of heavy) some Cosmair Polo, and I was thinking again about the excellence of this stuff.

As for me, it's not very difficult (or expensive either) to get the older version. That's the one I grew up with...and, the only version I'm interested in wearing.

One thing about Polo I find is that although I usually only use a few sprays of most scents...with Polo, I find a heavy application is particularly enjoyable.

Danny Mitchell

Mar 21, 2019
This is an interesting line of conversation because it really does seem like there was a span of years there where reformulations (likely hastily and recklessly done) were absolutely terrible, and things have seemed to even out in the years since.

I think it may just be that perfumers have found better ways to replicate the restricted ingredients, but that it just took a bit of experimentation to get there on their part and on the part of the big aromachemical firms.

I don't have much to compare current Polo to. The last time I smelled classic Polo was between '05 and '09, and since then I hadn't touched the stuff until the other day. Given what I'd heard, I was surprised by how much I liked what I smelled; it was still very distinctive and still very rich. Admittedly, I didn't properly wear it, so the drydown might've been more disappointing.

Same here. I remember trying POLO in my 20's and thinking it was just bad. Then as I got older I thought I would try it again, so about 5 or 6 years ago I sampled some and thought it was still bad. Then three years ago, I tried it again. This time I wasn't super impressed with the initial spray. But the drydown was amazing. I've been wearing POLO every since. Have gone through four bottles in the past four years. Getting close to needing another one.

I buy my POLO from the Ralph Lauren Factory Outlet store. With a 30% sale code, I can get it for around 55-60 bucks.

But yeah, since Cosmair is easy and affordable, I need to rethink this and grab some bottles of that.

ToughCool

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jun 12, 2008
I'm with you. I bought a bottle at CVS about 2 years ago and it was awful. It actually stunk. I took it back.

I'll try to sample a new batch and see if it's improved. I'm not a hype dude...I smell what I smell. My wife and I both thought the new juice stank, and we love vintage Polo.

I had a similar experience recently at Kohls. It was the tester but I was taken aback by how stank and dirty ash tray the initial spray was. There was some common themes that helped in the drydown but not enough to overcome the rest.

Oud Dude

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jun 22, 2018
I have a bottle from 2014 that I put a serious dent in before I sought out my two bottles of Cosmair and Warner. While it didn't 'stink' it was just so-so and sort of one dimensional-- no bottom, no tobacco, more sour apple than anything...

I also own Modern Reserve, Italian Cypress and 1962 and find that while they're all fine fragrances in their own right, none of them really nail what was happening in '80s Polo. Although I started wearing Polo back in 1985 I went so long without a bottle I didn't completely grok what was missing until I nabbed my old bottles last summer-- and I really didn't have to pay that much for them. With what many of us are used to spending on modern fragrances I think would think it sort of a no-brainer to grab some old green if you really appreciate this scent.

Brooks Otterlake

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Feb 12, 2019
I have a bottle from 2014 that I put a serious dent in before I sought out my two bottles of Cosmair and Warner. While it didn't 'stink' it was just so-so and sort of one dimensional-- no bottom, no tobacco, more sour apple than anything...

I also own Modern Reserve, Italian Cypress and 1962 and find that while they're all fine fragrances in their own right, none of them really nail what was happening in '80s Polo. Although I started wearing Polo back in 1985 I went so long without a bottle I didn't completely grok what was missing until I nabbed my old bottles last summer-- and I really didn't have to pay that much for them. With what many of us are used to spending on modern fragrances I think would think it sort of a no-brainer to grab some old green if you really appreciate this scent.
I haven't tried Modern Reserve, but I have tried Italian Cypress and actually own a sample of Floris 1962. I think they're good in their own right, but I wouldn't say either really do conjure up the "Polo" feeling in the same way.

Polo has a distinctive scent profile; when I smelled it again, memories came rushing back, memories that were never conjured up when I took sniffs of Italian Cypress or 1962.

Oud Dude

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jun 22, 2018
I haven't tried Modern Reserve, but I have tried Italian Cypress and actually own a sample of Floris 1962. I think they're good in their own right, but I wouldn't say either really do conjure up the "Polo" feeling in the same way.

Polo has a distinctive scent profile; when I smelled it again, memories came rushing back, memories that were never conjured up when I took sniffs of Italian Cypress or 1962.

I concur completely. I had the exact same experience when I was able to smell the vintage again, "Oh yeah!!! THIS is what it's supposed to smell like!"

Alex Krycek

Sep 6, 2016
... I really didn't have to pay that much for them. With what many of us are used to spending on modern fragrances I think would think it sort of a no-brainer to grab some old green if you really appreciate this scent.

That's how I see it also.

...I have tried Italian Cypress and actually own a sample of Floris 1962. I think they're good in their own right, but I wouldn't say either really do conjure up the "Polo" feeling in the same way...

I've yet to try Floris 1962 but hell yes I'd say Italian Cypress is good in its own right.

Brooks Otterlake

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Feb 12, 2019
So I got a 15 ml bottle of Cosmair Polo in a swap. It's not worlds apart from the current version (which I sampled at Ulta again today just to see if it was something I wanted) insofar as they're both recognizable as being Polo, but the Cosmair is deeper, richer, and, well, dirtier. It feels properly natural, so that earthiness really comes through.

That dirtiness in the Cosmair kinda turns me off, to be honest. I do try to appreciate vintage scent profiles and occasionally fall in love (I love vintage Jacomo, for instance), but I am a millennial, and my millennial self likes the slightly cleaner feel of the reform even if it isn't the full-bodied experience the Cosmair is.

I think my momentary flirtation with the idea of owning Polo is passing now that I've moved beyond the short-lived exhilaration of nostalgic recognition.

Danny Mitchell

Mar 21, 2019
So I got a 15 ml bottle of Cosmair Polo in a swap. It's not worlds apart from the current version (which I sampled at Ulta again today just to see if it was something I wanted) insofar as they're both recognizable as being Polo, but the Cosmair is deeper, richer, and, well, dirtier. It feels properly natural, so that earthiness really comes through.

That dirtiness in the Cosmair kinda turns me off, to be honest. I do try to appreciate vintage scent profiles and occasionally fall in love (I love vintage Jacomo, for instance), but I am a millennial, and my millennial self likes the slightly cleaner feel of the reform even if it isn't the full-bodied experience the Cosmair is.

I think my momentary flirtation with the idea of owning Polo is passing now that I've moved beyond the short-lived exhilaration of nostalgic recognition.

You'll be back.

Opiate

Sep 19, 2010

Do as you wish, but you REALLY should wait until fall/winter. That’s when polo shines.

Edit: Nevermind, I just caught the part where you said you’re a millennial.

Brooks Otterlake

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Feb 12, 2019
You'll be back.
I dunno. If I want some spicy, piney goodness, I have Perfumes of the Desert Pinon to satisfy me.

Do as you wish, but you REALLY should wait until fall/winter. That’s when polo shines.

Edit: Nevermind, I just caught the part where you said you’re a millennial.
Polo Blue was my first real fragrance purchase (I think I got it the year it released). Worlds apart from the original! Not that I'd own it *now*, but we're all prisoners of our own time to a certain extent.

I did spend some time as a kid splashing on my grandfather's Brut and my father's Drakkar Noir, which may explain my affection for fougeres.

Danny Mitchell

Mar 21, 2019
I dunno. If I want some spicy, piney goodness, I have Perfumes of the Desert Pinon to satisfy me.

Polo Blue was my first real fragrance purchase (I think I got it the year it released). Worlds apart from the original! Not that I'd own it *now*, but we're all prisoners of our own time to a certain extent.

I did spend some time as a kid splashing on my grandfather's Brut and my father's Drakkar Noir, which may explain my affection for fougeres.

Sounds like my childhood, honestly. Polo was always around, of course, but I never liked it. My dad wore CHAPS. I didn't care much for it as a kid, either. I always wore the POLO Sport in high school. But in my house, with my dad and brother, Brut, Chaps, and Drakkar were mainstays.

common scents

Dec 10, 2007
Hey people, question:

I only have fleeting memories of this one in vintage form, but for those who have smelled TF Vert des Bois, how close is it to the vintage polo?

PStoller

I’m not old, I’m vintage.
Basenotes Plus
Aug 1, 2019
Polo heads!
What would be the dates/maker of this polo a/s?
Just says Parfums Ralph Lauren Paris on the bottom?
As I just posted in Perfume Appraisals:

To the best of my knowledge, that's the European issue of the original formula c. 1978–1983, when Warner/Lauren was the US distributor. Then Cosmair bought Warner Cosmetics, and you had bottles labeled with Warner as a division of Cosmair before the attribution changed to just Cosmair. I believe Cosmair then operated as international distributor for Lauren, though Cosmair had started as a US distributor for L'Oréal and ultimately became L'Oréal USA in 2000.

I welcome corrections.

capt. carl

Nov 21, 2015
Can I express my enjoyment of polo crest here as well? A definite flanker of polo green that comes off as a little less dated, but still old school with lots of oakmoss, some smoke, and leather.

(Really like vintage green as well, have both cosmair and warner)

Ifti

Aug 5, 2016
As I just posted in Perfume Appraisals:

To the best of my knowledge, that's the European issue of the original formula c. 1978–1983, when Warner/Lauren was the US distributor. Then Cosmair bought Warner Cosmetics, and you had bottles labeled with Warner as a division of Cosmair before the attribution changed to just Cosmair. I believe Cosmair then operated as international distributor for Lauren, though Cosmair had started as a US distributor for L'Oréal and ultimately became L'Oréal USA in 2000.

I welcome corrections.

Cheers, good to know and as ever thankful :)

rum

Basenotes Plus
Mar 17, 2011
Polo heads!
What would be the dates/maker of this polo a/s?
Just says Parfums Ralph Lauren Paris on the bottom?
Ty!

Lol you prolly guessed I'm on a bit of a Polo hunt at the mo' !
Just wondering if this is what iteration of Polo. Sorry best picture as I could get:

The shorter the batch code is (in character length), the older the bottle is.

Ifti

Aug 5, 2016
The shorter the batch code is (in character length), the older the bottle is.
Cheers!
Lol yeah seller advertised this as "Vintage pre Cosmair...." Hmm. I noticed it says Luxury Products LLC - as does my 2018 bottle of Polo.
I hope a fellow basenoter and Polo sleuth(!) would possibly and kindly put together a little list/timetime :) :) :)

Lol anyones else find it funny ( well you have to laff else...) that some sellers on auction sites simply list EVERYTHING as vintage/discontinued!!!

PStoller

Basenotes Plus
Aug 1, 2019
I hope a fellow basenoter and Polo sleuth(!) would possibly and kindly put together a little list/timetime…
I've more or less done this above. "Luxury Products LLC" is a division of L'Oréal. It appeared on Polo (and many other fragrance) bottles after the Cosmair name was retired. While the formulation may have changed, it was, in fact, the same company.

Sambuccashake

Jan 29, 2019
tl:dr
If you are unable to find older versions of Polo Green, Floris 1962 is close enough and Italian Cypress surely is too expensive

Cypress was a note I hadn't really explored and my google efforts led me towards Floris 1962.
I was immediately enamored.
Couldn't really put my finger on what it was that stirred memories from my childhood but now I know.
I read that it was similar to Vintage Polo Green.

I was fortunate enough to be placed in the way of a Cosmair Polo which I instantly bought (as it was priced the same as current version) and I get what Floris was aiming for.
Olfactory memories kicked in hard and I now know why it feels so secure.
It was worn by men of gravitas and with an air of elegance and a twinkle in the eye.

Seriously, how can anyone NOT love this?
This is THE masculine fragrance.

PStoller

Basenotes Plus
Aug 1, 2019
Seriously, how can anyone NOT love this?
This is THE masculine fragrance.
My wife hates it, and her memory/association with it goes back to the early days, not the reformulated juice. So, it's the one classic masculine I have determined not to acquire. Given her tolerance for the rest of my collection, I consider it a minor concession.

Latest News