The official Ralph Lauren Polo Green thread

yourthemannowdog

Jan 22, 2021
20210324_000549.jpg20210324_000802.jpg20210324_001606.jpg20210324_002153.jpg theres a bunch of other vintage polo greens i didn't take a pic of plus more monograms and i had alot more vintage obsessions bottles 3 times as many but sold them over the years . these are part of a massive collection of colognes

nosey74

Aug 30, 2014

JJ The Terrible

Mar 2, 2020

JJ The Terrible

Mar 2, 2020
Score! FedEx just dropped off an 8oz. bottle of Polo(Cosmair), three digit batch code IS2. Smells spot on to my 4oz BE1. Sitting next to my 8oz. bottle of Halston Z-14 (French Fragrance Inc.) bottle, it looks gloriously obscene.:smiley:

Hugh V.

Dec 9, 2016
To those of you who have vintage Polo: is the basenotes/drydown that much different from current the last two reforms? I've already scratched off Rive Gauche from my bucket list, and I guess vintage Polo is the last of the unicorns for me.

The Cologne Cabinet

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jul 22, 2014
To those of you who have vintage Polo: is the basenotes/drydown that much different from current the last two reforms? I've already scratched off Rive Gauche from my bucket list, and I guess vintage Polo is the last of the unicorns for me.

Yes, the drydown is smoother with better blending. The ashy tobacco is stronger as well, especially vintage Warner Polo. Vintage Polo is still widely available on Ebay so finding some should be no problem.

Danny Mitchell

Mar 21, 2019

I love the Cosmair stuff. It's easy to get ahold of. Also, the Luxury USA version with the tall sprayer, precious to the formula that's out right now, is still excellent stuff, IMO.

jkonick

Feb 16, 2019
Now that I own current Polo and Cologne Intense, I decided to continue down the rabbit hole after finding a great deal on a 2 oz Cosmair bottle, about 3/4 full for $32. Batch code is JS7 and it has a green plastic spray nozzle - I take it that’s an 80s era bottle? Any more accurate guesses? Either way I’ll be getting it Tuesday and very excited to try the real deal vintage stuff for the first time! I’m definitely growing to love Polo more and more, such a unique green fragrance.

Danny Mitchell

Mar 21, 2019
Now that I own current Polo and Cologne Intense, I decided to continue down the rabbit hole after finding a great deal on a 2 oz Cosmair bottle, about 3/4 full for $32. Batch code is JS7 and it has a green plastic spray nozzle - I take it that’s an 80s era bottle? Any more accurate guesses? Either way I’ll be getting it Tuesday and very excited to try the real deal vintage stuff for the first time! I’m definitely growing to love Polo more and more, such a unique green fragrance.

A green sprayer? huh....I thought they always used gold sprayers. Maybe it was a tester bottle or they went with green for a short time. Maybe it depends on the bottle size?

jkonick

Feb 16, 2019
A green sprayer? huh....I thought they always used gold sprayers. Maybe it was a tester bottle or they went with green for a short time. Maybe it depends on the bottle size?

There’s some discussion here of the green plastic sprayer starting at post #70 so there is some precedent although not a lot of details: https://www.basenotes.net/threads/392006-Ralph-Lauren-Polo-(Green)-Warner-Vs-Cosmair/page3

Here are the pictures from eBay:

87D37425-901E-47C9-9E06-747E59D1F398.jpg
51C0C615-D0A2-4F3D-AB89-DB3033C98586.jpg
86CD37FE-3640-47E3-B35B-FE28284F303B.jpg

We’ll see what I end up with. I usually never buy from eBay and the seller didn’t have a lot of feedback, but I’m pandemic bored and not spending money so it seemed like a low risk bet that will hopefully pay off.

The Cologne Cabinet

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jul 22, 2014
There’s some discussion here of the green plastic sprayer starting at post #70 so there is some precedent although not a lot of details: https://www.basenotes.net/threads/392006-Ralph-Lauren-Polo-(Green)-Warner-Vs-Cosmair/page3

View attachment 149705
View attachment 149706
View attachment 149707

We’ll see what I end up with. I usually never buy from eBay and the seller didn’t have a lot of feedback, but I’m pandemic bored and not spending money so it seemed like a low risk bet that will hopefully pay off.

Pretty sure that’s an early 80’s spray. RL used the dark green atomizers on early Cologne spray bottles when before they only offered the Cologne as a splash.

yourthemannowdog

Jan 22, 2021

View attachment 149705
View attachment 149706
View attachment 149707

thats the best version in my opinion the one with green sprayer & that says cologne on the bottom . the cologne version is very oily and strong green

jkonick

Feb 16, 2019
thats the best version in my opinion the one with green sprayer & that says cologne on the bottom . the cologne version is very oily and strong green

Nice, well now I’m really looking forward to trying it. I love the current formulation but it does seem like a faint echo of the vintage the way people talk about it.

Hugh V.

Dec 9, 2016
I'm not over Polo.

Normally I only go with a single spray since it's such a strong and "challenging" scent. But today I went with two sprays and I'm getting a much more pleasant experience through the dry down. Normally I get that ugly plastic/rubber smell at the middle for a couple hours. Today—none of that. Instead, I'm getting sweet beautiful pine all throughout.

This reminds me. Before the pandemic, I was at my local Macy's fragrance department just checking stuff out. I asked the older sales associate if they had a particular fragrance in stock and was told, no, it'd been discontinued (it wasn't). The SA asks if I'm interested in anything else. I mentioned wanting to try Polo and they say, "Oh, this one is not popular! It's old. Sometimes people who don't know about it will test it on the paper and it scares away other customers. They can smell it all the way, over there, in the women's department."

They're trying to make a sale, right? I would think a sales person would say something along the lines of, Ah, Polo. This is an all-time classic. Very masculine.

jkonick

Feb 16, 2019
Welp, I got my Cosmair 80s-era bottle in the mail yesterday and MAN this is awesome! And so different from the current formulation. I'm not a huge vintage guy, and I've tried a few things in different formulations that clearly shifted over the years (and usually toward something less rich and full and more synthetic-seeming). I mean, the central accord is clear in both, and you can tell they're the same fragrance. But the vintage ROARS where the current formulation squeaks - the oakmoss, tobacco and slightly animalic leather take this waaaay beyond the territory of the current formulation, which is like looking at all that basenote power through a top-middle note lens of lilac-green glass.

Before I owned any Polo, I had a decant of TF Italian Cypress. When I bought the current Polo, I could see the connection, but it wasn't huge. But now with the vintage I really get it. I honestly think Italian Cypress has a character, if not structure, that is closer to vintage Polo than current Polo is. Either way, if there's anything that will send me down the ebay rabbit hole, it's gonna be vintage Polo. I'm a convert!

Danny Mitchell

Mar 21, 2019
Welp, I got my Cosmair 80s-era bottle in the mail yesterday and MAN this is awesome! And so different from the current formulation. I'm not a huge vintage guy, and I've tried a few things in different formulations that clearly shifted over the years (and usually toward something less rich and full and more synthetic-seeming). I mean, the central accord is clear in both, and you can tell they're the same fragrance. But the vintage ROARS where the current formulation squeaks - the oakmoss, tobacco and slightly animalic leather take this waaaay beyond the territory of the current formulation, which is like looking at all that basenote power through a top-middle note lens of lilac-green glass.

Before I owned any Polo, I had a decant of TF Italian Cypress. When I bought the current Polo, I could see the connection, but it wasn't huge. But now with the vintage I really get it. I honestly think Italian Cypress has a character, if not structure, that is closer to vintage Polo than current Polo is. Either way, if there's anything that will send me down the ebay rabbit hole, it's gonna be vintage Polo. I'm a convert!

Nice! Glad you love it. Another successful conversion, haha.

nosey74

Aug 30, 2014

Welcome, we've been expecting you! :evil:

The Cologne Cabinet

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jul 22, 2014

Check out vintage splash Halston Z-14 if you enjoy Italian Cypress as the similarities may surprise you. It can still be found on Ebay for between $25 - $50.

speckmann0706

Mar 8, 2017
The only Polo i own is a 3 digit Cosmair. I love it, but i really like the stuff i smell in the store. It still smells like Polo to me. No comment on performance, but i might buy a new bottle too.

Yes the newer stuff isn’t too bad, I have a bunch of 2014-2017 batches are they are fine to me I never seeked out vintage just been happy with what I’ve been able to get.

jkonick

Feb 16, 2019
The only Polo i own is a 3 digit Cosmair. I love it, but i really like the stuff i smell in the store. It still smells like Polo to me. No comment on performance, but i might buy a new bottle too.

My vintage is the same, and I honestly like both. Think of current formulation as a modern flanker.

Check out vintage splash Halston Z-14 if you enjoy Italian Cypress as the similarities may surprise you. It can still be found on Ebay for between $25 - $50.

Good to know. I’ve tried current Z-14 and it’s pretty meh. But sounds like vintage is worth seeking out.

Danny Mitchell

Mar 21, 2019
I think my favorite time to wear Ralph Lauren Polo is in the warmer weather the heat really brings this fragrance to life and it shines all day long. In the cooler weather it still smells nice but the heat brings different aspects of the fragrance to life and it smells phenomenal.

Now that you bring it to my attention, that's very true. It's really pops off the skin in warmer temps.

jmac0011

Feb 19, 2018
Luxury Products Polo is a scrubber. I bought this to compare to the original, and well, the synthetic harshness made me wonder how this sells.

Hugh V.

Dec 9, 2016
Do I have this right?

-The Luxury Products tall-sprayer bottles are pretty solid overall, but somewhere in the 2010s batches get a little wonky. Is that the plastic/rubber note I get at the heart of my 2015 bottle?

-Neither vintage nor the current stubby sprayers have the sharp opening of the tall sprayer reform. The vintage top notes either burnt out or died of old age. The current stubby sprayer just skips the introduction and goes straight to the heart.

And what does the lack of treemoss mean for the stubby sprayer version?

speckmann0706

Mar 8, 2017
Do I have this right?

-The Luxury Products tall-sprayer bottles are pretty solid overall, but somewhere in the 2010s batches get a little wonky. Is that the plastic/rubber note I get at the heart of my 2015 bottle?

-Neither vintage nor the current stubby sprayers have the sharp opening of the tall sprayer reform. The vintage top notes either burnt out or died of old age. The current stubby sprayer just skips the introduction and goes straight to the heart.

2016-2017 bottles are solid with the tall sprayer.

Latest News