The official Ralph Lauren Polo Green thread

DEMON

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Feb 8, 2010
Without a doubt, this was the one that really cemented my passion for fragrances. Strong, fresh, masculine, soothing, and unique. Lancer and the other knockoffs missed their target by miles. In an era of potent fragrances filling the air and olfactories in schools, offices, and dance clubs, this was IMHO head and shoulders above the rest.

The reformulation is an abomination.

Every so often, and with decreasing frequency, someone will be wearing this and catch me off-guard. I inevitably will then scour eBay for surviving Cosmair and Warner bottles to add to my collection of backups, currently at 6 bottles.

Iconic.

I certainly have an appreciation for some of its contemporaries: Halston Z14, Drakkar Noir, Calvin....but this was the most representative scent of the era.

sjg3839

Aug 21, 2012
My father (RIP) gave me a bottle before he passed years ago. I use it sparingly and will always have a a bottle in my collection.

tspencer

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jul 12, 2016
Hmm,

The only Polo I liked when I smelled each at Macys was Polo Green, however, since I smelled Clive Christian 1872 (and ordered immediately online), Polo Green just has no chance of making it into my collection now. It's just too similar but not in the class of CC 1872. I was on the edge of buying Polo Green, but in retrospect I'm glad I hesitated because then I would have found 1872 and would have instantly known that Polo Green would no longer be reached for when I felt like a green fragrance.

However, if you don't have the $$$ to buy CC 1872, then Polo is a 'fair' alternative. I just advise that if you cannot afford it, please don't smell 1872. You will get depressed getting stuck with Polo Green. It's better not to know something like that is 'out there'. I'm lucky I could drop the credit card on it. For me Polo Green would just be redundant as a scent and a step down. YMMV. And what I just said is NOT a put down of Polo Green. It's just that this $350+ fragrance smells a whole class better. And for the record, not that many uber-expensive fragrances outclass the affordable ones, but in this instance, it does.

Last edited:

Ken_Russell

Jan 21, 2006
Only familiar with the vintage (or at least late 90s early 2000s) version of this, never being able to test the current formulation.
And even though it narrowly missed being included in my scent lineup (the vintage again) will always remember its gentlemanly powerhouse richness, combining both strength and finesse of mossy, resinous, piny notes all at once, very harmoniously and elegantly.

MattJP

Feb 14, 2013

I hadn't smelled Polo in decades and I recently took a sniff at Sephora and couldn't even recognize it. It really took me by surprise. I have renewed acquaintance with many (now cheapies) from way back when but none were unrecognizable like this one.

Anyway, I've yet to buy an old vintage bottle of anything and have decided to explore fragrances from that era that I have never tried such as Antaeus, Loewe Esencia, Versace L'homme and Jules. Next up might be Yatagan :)

Diamondflame

Frag Bomber 1st Squadron
Basenotes Plus
Jun 28, 2009
RL Polo vs CC 1872? I don't find these two all that similar to be honest. In any case I'll take vintage Polo over CC 1872 any day.

dougczar

Mar 3, 2012
Polo Green just has no chance of making it into my collection now. It's just too similar but not in the class of CC 1872. I was on the edge of buying Polo Green, but in retrospect I'm glad I hesitated because then I would have found 1872 and would have instantly known that Polo Green would no longer be reached for when I felt like a green fragrance.

I absolutely LOVE 1872 (and 1872 vetiver - possibly even more), but I don't find these to be very similar really. Both have a very "green" aspect, but otherwise smell very different to me.

tspencer

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jul 12, 2016
I absolutely LOVE 1872 (and 1872 vetiver - possibly even more), but I don't find these to be very similar really. Both have a very "green" aspect, but otherwise smell very different to me.

I'm lumping them into the 'green' category together. While, yes there are differences, I am just not big on 'green' fragrances as a genre, so it won't take but one, 'maaaybe' two fragrances to fill this genre for me and if any other 'green'ies get added, they have to seriously impress me. Polo Green was just 'barely' into the 'good' category and I was on the fence about it and only considered it because there are times where I would want a green fragrance to smell that day. 1872 just literally blew me away and considering that I don't care for the 'green' genre of fragrances, that is saying something striking. If I love it, then people who adore green fragrances will fall off their chair for it.

DEMON

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Feb 8, 2010
I am wearing vintage Cosmair Polo today.

Still like the opening, LOVE the heart and the entire drydown.

Any time I compare this to the "you might also likes" in the industry, I find that it stands alone.

Loewe Esencia is fresh and green, but lacks the warmth and depth of the birch tar and pipe tobacco.

Polo pushes the edge in the opening, but is never quite "harsh." Then it backs away from that edge into the drydown.

I would like to try 1872, but more as an addition than a substitute.

LiveJazz

Funky fresh
Basenotes Plus
Mar 16, 2006
Coincidentally, I'm wearing Polo Green (vtg) today. The middle is starting to fizz nicely.

I love the word "fizz" for Polo green. It definitely seems to have a certain extra dimension to it.

I previously owned Polo Green and, at the time, felt that the nutmeg note was unacceptably dominant to my nose (I don't love nutmeg). Otherwise I think it's fantastic. I need to give it another sniff; it's been years.

DEMON

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Feb 8, 2010
I love the word "fizz" for Polo green. It definitely seems to have a certain extra dimension to it.

I previously owned Polo Green and, at the time, felt that the nutmeg note was unacceptably dominant to my nose (I don't love nutmeg). Otherwise I think it's fantastic. I need to give it another sniff; it's been years.
PLEASE be sure not to get the new stuff. yecch

I was at Sephora and...just....had to! Terrible. That may be heavier on the nutmeg. I don't remember smelling that in the vintage. I just remember fresh, rich pine...and it's as if someone just puffed on a freshly-lit pipe....

LiveJazz

Funky fresh
Basenotes Plus
Mar 16, 2006
PLEASE be sure not to get the new stuff. yecch

I was at Sephora and...just....had to! Terrible. That may be heavier on the nutmeg. I don't remember smelling that in the vintage. I just remember fresh, rich pine...and it's as if someone just puffed on a freshly-lit pipe....

:( I hate having to seek out vintage, but it's becoming a more common requirement. Yeah, nutmeg isn't mentioned in any pyramids, so maybe it was some combination of other notes that was reading as "nutmeg" to my nose, but it didn't agree with me.

When did the reformulation happen? I owned by bottle in perhaps 2012 or so.

DanHD

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Mar 15, 2013
The reason I wore my Polo lately was that I had sampled Italian Cypress recently and saw it was compared with Polo. I don't know if my Vintage Polo decant has lost something, but I must say that the Italian Cypress had more interest in the basenotes. IC had some lively notes peaking out in the base, whereas the base of the Polo seemed fairly static (although the next morning it was pretty interesting).

DEMON

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Feb 8, 2010
:( I hate having to seek out vintage, but it's becoming a more common requirement. Yeah, nutmeg isn't mentioned in any pyramids, so maybe it was some combination of other notes that was reading as "nutmeg" to my nose, but it didn't agree with me.

When did the reformulation happen? I owned by bottle in perhaps 2012 or so.

Any box or bottle reading "Luxury Products LLC" is the reformulation. Cosmair is the easiest to find, pre-reformulation, or Warner...but most of what we originally smelled was Cosmair. Not sure what year they gutted this classic.

DEMON

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Feb 8, 2010
The reason I wore my Polo lately was that I had sampled Italian Cypress recently and saw it was compared with Polo. I don't know if my Vintage Polo decant has lost something, but I must say that the Italian Cypress had more interest in the basenotes. IC had some lively notes peaking out in the base, whereas the base of the Polo seemed fairly static (although the next morning it was pretty interesting).
Yeah...original Polo had a nuclear half-life.

I have yet to sample Italian Cypress. I need to add that to the sample list.

vipersinthefield

Jan 21, 2015
Polo Original/Green has also become VERY expensive...it's really odd.I remember thinking at least back to the late 80's you could walk into an Ivey's or a drugstore and it was about $50 for a 4oz. bottle.Haven't really seen it on store shelves over the past 10 years here in the south so I assumed it was discontinued or millennials in retail felt it was a 'bruise' sitting with modern fragrances.The majority of online retailers sell it now between a $70-$80 cost factor for a 4oz. bottle...somethings wrong with that picture.

Jun 19, 2018
This thread has really helped clear my mind about the present incarnation of Polo Green. After purchasing and returning 2 bottles, one from the Lauren Store at King of Prussia Mall and then one at Bloomingdales because I thought the first bottle was compromised by handling (heat, light perphaps) I thought I was going crazy. This does not smell anything like Lauren's signature scent. I avoided more acts of futility after reading in this forum that indeed, the formula for Polo Green had been decontructed by the barbarians at corporate. Heart-breaking. I loved this scent. Nothing else can replace it. Presently using my old faves, Dior Eau Sauvage, Guerlain Habit Rouge and on occasion 4711 for whimsy. Just got myself a bottle of Tom Ford's Tuscan Leather but I'm in mourning over Polo Green.

Last edited:

Scent Detective

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 15, 2015
Without a doubt, this was the one that really cemented my passion for fragrances. Strong, fresh, masculine, soothing, and unique. Lancer and the other knockoffs missed their target by miles. In an era of potent fragrances filling the air and olfactories in schools, offices, and dance clubs, this was IMHO head and shoulders above the rest.

Every so often, and with decreasing frequency, someone will be wearing this and catch me off-guard. I inevitably will then scour eBay for surviving Cosmair and Warner bottles to add to my collection of backups, currently at 6 bottles.

Iconic.

I certainly have an appreciation for some of its contemporaries: Halston Z14, Drakkar Noir, Calvin....but this was the most representative scent of the era.

Well said!!!

Oud Dude

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jun 22, 2018
I got my first bottle of Polo in ‘86 and now have a bottle of the current formulation. I’ve also had a decent of Italian Cyprus and without a doubt, my favorite modern take on green Polo is Floris 1962. Wonderful scent!

bluemmb1

Dec 20, 2014
Hi guys,
I got this polo version. It's different to my 118 ml Cosmair bottle. This one is 100 ml and splash. Can anyone help me date it?
Thanks15438564400762635444180081352908.jpg

peter4ptv

Jun 1, 2015
Hmm,

The only Polo I liked when I smelled each at Macys was Polo Green, however, since I smelled Clive Christian 1872 (and ordered immediately online), Polo Green just has no chance of making it into my collection now. It's just too similar but not in the class of CC 1872. I was on the edge of buying Polo Green, but in retrospect I'm glad I hesitated because then I would have found 1872 and would have instantly known that Polo Green would no longer be reached for when I felt like a green fragrance.

However, if you don't have the $$$ to buy CC 1872, then Polo is a 'fair' alternative. I just advise that if you cannot afford it, please don't smell 1872. You will get depressed getting stuck with Polo Green. It's better not to know something like that is 'out there'. I'm lucky I could drop the credit card on it. For me Polo Green would just be redundant as a scent and a step down. YMMV. And what I just said is NOT a put down of Polo Green. It's just that this $350+ fragrance smells a whole class better. And for the record, not that many uber-expensive fragrances outclass the affordable ones, but in this instance, it does.
i am not sure how this two are similar at all, CC 1872 is more like sweet citrus and totally different from polo.

bpl12

Oct 8, 2018
I don't want to sidetrack this thread, but just jumping in to say that, as with this, Cosmair's Polo Sport is much, much better than the reformulation. The new stuff smells like synthetic mint on top of metal cotton candy.

Scentologist

Apr 17, 2007
Smelled this today in Macy's and is utterly unrecognizable as the classic we fell in love with. All I smelled was a dank, synthetic birch and tobacco. No lovely green at all.

Diamondflame

Frag Bomber 1st Squadron
Basenotes Plus
Jun 28, 2009
Unless you’re familiar with the vintage fragrance I’d avoid splash versions at all cost. I own 2 bottles of Cosmair vintage Polo. It fully deserves its iconic status as the masculine to beat. I don’t feel the same way about the Modern Reserve though, as good as it is.

ck__

Feb 12, 2007
I just tried Polo at a duty free. It must have been a newish bottle. I was expecting a dirty green smell similar to vintage Quorum. What I got was this beautiful greasy leather smell. It smelt similar to the dry down to Tuscany but much richer and deep.

Jun 19, 2018
Anyone know a way to contact RL Corporate?

Does anyone know a way to contact RL Corporate. All I get is the customer service which is useless as I'm trying to campaign a revival of the original Polo Green.

Opiate

Sep 19, 2010
Re: Anyone know a way to contact RL Corporate?

Does anyone know a way to contact RL Corporate. All I get is the customer service which is useless as I'm trying to campaign a revival of the original Polo Green.

While I applaud your enthusiasm, you’re fighting a lost cause my friend.
While many older fragrances used Oakmoss as a supporting note, OG Polo was practically built around the ingredient. And sadly, Oakmoss is all but completely banned today by the IFRA.

If you want original polo, you have to seek out older cosmair or Warner bottles. The good news is that these bottles, for the most part, loose nothing over time, and can be found relatively easy and cheaply.

Latest News