The Official Creed Viking Thread - Part 2

sjg3839

Aug 21, 2012
Sampled a few times. I finally came in and purchased a bottle. Viking wasn't my favorite upon sampling a few times. This is one of those that grew on me. At first, I took this as a save and un-offensive fragrances. Now, I appreciate the character in this one. Especially the drydown.

tspencer

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jul 12, 2016
Sampled a few times. I finally came in and purchased a bottle. Viking wasn't my favorite upon sampling a few times. This is one of those that grew on me. At first, I took this as a save and un-offensive fragrances. Now, I appreciate the character in this one. Especially the drydown.

I get mostly woods in the dry down along with remenants of that salty aquatic vibe.

seccho

Sep 27, 2005
I've liked this one since I first picked up a 1 oz decant off of another Basenoter some 3 or so years ago. Spicy, fresh, masculine, versatile. I've got a lot of fragrances, so, it's lasted me quite a while. Is it my all-time favorite Creed? No. That will likely always still be GIT. Is it as "flashy" as Aventus? No, not exactly. Aventus is Aventus. But, let me put it this way. One evening a couple of weeks ago, after taking a shower, applying some fragrance, and taking a seat next to the fiance on the couch I mentioned, "enjoy this while you can because my decant is almost out...maybe a wearing or two left", and she knew exactly what she was smelling. And at this point we were done with Christmas shopping for one another, at least according to our loosely pre agreed-upon budgets, lol. Fast forward to last night(Wed), we decide to open presents early, and what do I find in my stocking? A brand new bottle of Viking. I think that pretty much sums it up.

tspencer

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jul 12, 2016
I've liked this one since I first picked up a 1 oz decant off of another Basenoter some 3 or so years ago. Spicy, fresh, masculine, versatile. I've got a lot of fragrances, so, it's lasted me quite a while. Is it my all-time favorite Creed? No. That will likely always still be GIT. Is it as "flashy" as Aventus? No, not exactly. Aventus is Aventus. But, let me put it this way. One evening a couple of weeks ago, after taking a shower, applying some fragrance, and taking a seat next to the fiance on the couch I mentioned, "enjoy this while you can because my decant is almost out...maybe a wearing or two left", and she knew exactly what she was smelling. And at this point we were done with Christmas shopping for one another, at least according to our loosely pre agreed-upon budgets, lol. Fast forward to last night(Wed), we decide to open presents early, and what do I find in my stocking? A brand new bottle of Viking. I think that pretty much sums it up.

Merry Christmas and congratulations. Viking is a good one!

emtee

Jun 4, 2018
Has anyone heard about Viking Cologne coming soon? I don't see any info here on BN.

Black Rock looking for a return on their investment! Looking forward to GiT Cologne :cry:

I guess it’s not that much different in concept from the Roja cologne line and to be fair they’re all pretty decent.

RedRaider430

You smell good! 😄
Basenotes Plus
Dec 18, 2011
Has anyone heard about Viking Cologne coming soon? I don't see any info here on BN.

I haven't, but I certainly wouldn't be surprised. This kind of thing seems to be pretty par for the course and about all Creed has lately.

In their way of thinking, "We did it with Aventus, why not do it with Viking?"

Last edited:

cameron

Oct 17, 2011
I’m not 100% sure that’s a given.

We all know aventus was a monster best seller. I’m not sure if Viking had that same type of success. If it has, then it would make sense for Black Rock to do a cologne.

jackirino

Feb 9, 2021
I did a side by side with 18G01 and 18B01 and the difference is night and day. 18B01 is much stronger on the mint, and it lasts a lot longer before the sandalwood comes out. There's also difference in color the stuff with stronger sandalwood is more of a dark golden yellowish.. but there's also a really early 17 batch that is the same color that has a lot of mint in the opening too. I've tried at least 6 different batches and found 2 of them to be the same, with the rest to have pretty significant differences. Typical Creed inconsistencies. It's even much worse with my 12 GIT, compared to my 18.

Btw, why do you have so many bottles and batches, if they all perform the same? Are you a splitter?

I actually recently got a 3ml sample from creedperfumesamples which I think is based in the UK, and it was as described, stronger on the mint which lasts a lot longer before the sandalwood comes out, it has that nice menthol feel to it and spiciness, it also to add to this lasted quite long and perfomed decent. I am now trying to track down what batch this is but the place I got the samples from a suuuper slow to reply. Does anyone have any idea what batch this could be, could it be the above mentioned 18B01 Batch code?
I'm fairly new to fragrances, and I'm just finding out about creed batch variations.

unknoahble

Aug 22, 2016
I just bought a bottle of Viking from creedboutique.com and what I received has a batch code from 2018 (18G01). Is this the most recent batch!? If not, why is Creed sending me juice that has been sitting for three years?

sunny5011

Jun 24, 2009
I just bought a bottle of Viking from creedboutique.com and what I received has a batch code from 2018 (18G01). Is this the most recent batch!? If not, why is Creed sending me juice that has been sitting for three years?

older juice is always better so be glad you got a 2018 bottle

tspencer

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jul 12, 2016
older juice is always better so be glad you got a 2018 bottle

This is true. Maceration, ie, "sitting around" for a period of time is used for some fragrances before selling because age slightly changes a fragrance in subtle ways. Sometimes it becomes a very, very nice fragrance after years of macerating. Many Creed fragrances get better with age. A handful of my Creeds are dated 2015 and they smell better today in 2021 than when I bought them in 2016.

TopoGigio

Nov 16, 2009

I own a bottle of same batch, smells amazing and lasts a very long time.

JBS1

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jun 28, 2016
Just got 1.7 from FragranceX for $196.
Batch code. A9618F01.
I have a carded sample from Fragrnacenet.
I think it was like $6. Should have bought more.
Batch Code. C96118G01.
I also have a travel spray from Fragrancenet I picked up for $19.
The 1.7, brand new today, has a forward sandalwood and patchouli that dominates the air.
Up close it has the Creed DNA, but I'm not getting all the nuances I got from the sample.
In the sample, I noticed the citrics more, and it is more like the travel spray.
The travel spray has a very big white musk that pushes forward. There's some resemblance to HoM's Orca, minus the sweetness,
in regards to the wood. It's a spicey smooth wood that has been washed and worn and left softly bleached against the smooth stones on the beach.
For me, the travel spray makes sense in regards to its name, Viking.

The three are the same, but all a little different.
I do enjoy Viking.

Bohn_Me

Jun 8, 2021
Bought a 100ml from Fragrancenet (it took forever to get to me due to free snail mail shipping) at a very reasonable price for a Creed 100ml and was somewhat surprised to see a batch code of 18E01. I was honestly expecting a 2020 batch code but I think so many people were holding this up to Aventus that it was only going to disappoint, which is probably why they’re still shipping 2018 bottles. Doesn’t bode well for this fragrance’s longevity in terms of market share.

18E01: HEAVILY AROMATIC OPENING of Spicy Mint and Absinthe that bounces off a bed of Clove (if you don’t like Clove, you will not like Viking). Dry down is equally beautiful, rose and lavender (the clove is ever-present) and then a woody base similar to Royal Oud which is another favorite.

Last edited:

JBS1

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jun 28, 2016
Bought a 100ml from Fragrancenet (it took forever to get to me due to free snail mail shipping) at a very reasonable price for a Creed 100ml and was somewhat surprised to see a batch code of 18E01. I was honestly expecting a 2020 batch code but I think so many people were holding this up to Aventus that it was only going to disappoint, which is probably why they’re still shipping 2018 bottles. Doesn’t bode well for this fragrance’s longevity in terms of market share.

18E01: HEAVILY AROMATIC OPENING of Spicy Mint and Absinthe that bounces off a bed of Clove (if you don’t like Clove, you will not like Viking). Dry down is equally beautiful, rose and lavender (the clove is ever-present) and then a woody base similar to Royal Oud which is another favorite.
Good for you on the 2018 . It's a good one.

Unifex

Mar 25, 2011
I tried this the other day. Did not like the mint but then again not a minty fan. Difficult to pull off in fragrances (ELdO did with You Or Someone Like You, which I do like). Forgot about it for an hour then it turned into Guerlain Heritage! Am I missing something here?

slpfrsly

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 1, 2019
Viking is a perfect example of a modern fragrance that is crying out for a 'real' base - namely, sandalwood. The loss of a true sort of mossy-woody base from masculine fragrances really hurts a scent like this, which starts out interesting, with its minty-herbal opening, but then it turns brackish and almost aquatic, like a niche version of one of the very early aquatic fragrances, like Kenzo or Horizon. The Cologne version just develops it even further along the sporty vein, while the original just uses clove, which is a very particular and specific smell, and not one that works as an overtone in masculine perfumery. It's a shame, as with a dry base, Viking could be exceptional.

Jan 9, 2022
I'm enjoying this. Great for the office. Female friends are complimenting it and it last easily all day. Smells mature and clean, but has a vibrant aura about it. I'm really enjoying this. I know I've said this, but I'm glad I gave it another shot. I did not like this in the beginning.

Hi I would like to ask you a personal question how do I do so ?

emtee

Jun 4, 2018
I just sprayed some Viking having read this thread and my god it is wonderful. Will be giving it a full wear tomorrow as its perfect for this weather.

naylor

Oct 24, 2011
I wrote it off immediately as well without really giving much of a chance. Bought it a few months after release on a whim and don’t regret it at all.
tumblr_pgzaenF37O1wxwjebo1_400.gif

fit&frag'd

Jul 27, 2012
This was a good reminder for me as I've been overlooking Viking for a while and always do enjoy when I work it back into the rotation. I do tend to enjoy it more during colder weather months.

Latest News