The Official Creed Viking Thread - Part 2

Democritus

Mar 7, 2017
Just wanted to clarify about the sprays... I started with 2. And it just fizzled out so fast. So i increased it. I even sprayed on my clothes since some scents will linger for a while. By lunch i couldn't even smell it. Ive been told maybe i just have a bad bottle. I am looking into exchanging it.

I can spray GIT in the morning and through the day i could still smell it in my shirt collar. Viking.... it like non existent. :(

I started with 2 and it was barely detectable. Tried again in case I was just having a bad day but had exactly the same experience.
Had to go up to 6 sprays to get the performance I get from most scents with 3 sprays which makes it's price doubly inflated to me.
Considering I see it as no more than a decent designer scent I'd be paying about 5 times what it's worth to me.

Constantine

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Nov 26, 2017
I agree. Viking has strong longevity and projection. Have you tried Jovoy's l'art du Guerre? It is another gorgeous freshy with a hubarb note. Close call as to which one my wife prefers!

herbert7890

Jun 7, 2013
Viking as amazing!!! I also recently purchased my first bottle of it through Costco and performs just as well as the 50ml decant I had before (release time decant). Need to check which Batch did I get.

Cg006

Jan 23, 2020
What did Costco price it at? Just curious. I'm a member but can't find anything but the womens' Aventus on their site. Maybe it sold out.

It was on sale for $160. 100ml bottle. I believe it’s already sold out. This was over a week ago.

On a side note- 3 sprays of Royal Oud from a 25mm decant. I can still smell it and it’s projecting. By now my Viking. Arch would be non existing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buysblind

Jan 21, 2011
What did Costco price it at? Just curious. I'm a member but can't find anything but the womens' Aventus on their site. Maybe it sold out.

Yep. We missed the boat.

I've been wanting to buy a backup Viking for a while too, but most places are asking more for it now than when it first came out. I wish I caught that Costco sale when it was around.

Cg006

Jan 23, 2020
Royal water was also $89. Picked up both. Royal Water is also a projection beast when you first spray and it last a long time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

peculiar_feeling

Sep 26, 2017
I believe the batch variations of Viking should be admitted. It's real. People are complaining how good are some batches and how week are the others.
For me, the best ever batch was T01. Everything past that was just not the same, although not bad but not even close. Just a bit different and weaker. I still have the sample of T01 so I'm not fantasizing. It's amazing.

sunny5011

Jun 24, 2009
I believe the batch variations of Viking should be admitted. It's real. People are complaining how good are some batches and how week are the others.
For me, the best ever batch was T01. Everything past that was just not the same, although not bad but not even close. Just a bit different and weaker. I still have the sample of T01 so I'm not fantasizing. It's amazing.

100% have noticed batch variations in the scent of Viking. Some batches have too much pink pepper (I'm not a fan of these batches) and some are more woody and the others are more minty

eriqesque

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Feb 29, 2020
I'm really loving Viking. Very complex frag. every time I wear it I like it more and more. Also every time I wear it I smell something new. luckily I get no cinnamon or clove.
performance is a beast. Yesterday 2 sprays @ 1:30pm and I was getting whiffs when I went to bed @ 12:30am.

Last edited:

eriqesque

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Feb 29, 2020
I think the pink pepper and woods might be giving a cinnamon effect, but it's certainly possible for a light synthetic cinnamon to be in there because the whole fragrance in the spicy range is a bit transparent in how it smells. It's not a solid/forward cinnamon for sure. I barely smell anything like cinnamon in the mix, so if it's in there, it's done tastefully and for effect, not to be a major note.

The pink berries (Baie rose) is more rosy kind of spicy floral rather than cinnamon

RedRaider430

You smell good! 😄
Basenotes Plus
Dec 18, 2011
100% have noticed batch variations in the scent of Viking. Some batches have too much pink pepper (I'm not a fan of these batches) and some are more woody and the others are more minty

I bought a small bottle of T01 after it first came out, and bought the next batch a few months later. I think it was W01.

However, I've never sprayed it, so I have no input on whether T01 is any better than the rest.

Seems like I recall when the other batches started coming out, there was talk on here that the projection/longevity was a lot better than the original (T01) batch that first came out.

claytonmarionneaux

Feb 2, 2011
Ever since I got that bad GIT batch (which has aged better) I've been very gun shy on buying a full bottle of Viking. I've been wearing the original old spice and heard similarities between the two. I dont want peppermint to dominate the whole fragrance though, I would like it to be more spicier/woody.

tspencer

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jul 12, 2016
The pink berries (Baie rose) is more rosy kind of spicy floral rather than cinnamon

I have updated my view on my current perception of my 2-year old bottle of Viking. These days I'm able to detect the cinnamon in the 2nd phase when I was barely able to at all. The cinnamon is a 'transparent', almost Jean-Claude Elena type of cinnamon that is 'in the backround' very lightly touching the edges of the core composition. So, even when you eventually start smelling the cinnamon, don't fret, because it's very 'airy' and not strong.

Maceration (aging/development sitting on the shelf) seems to be where Creed scents shine. As time goes on, every one of my Creed scents have gotten 'better'. Due to new ownership of Creed I HIGHLY recommend people buy bottles of the current Creeds they deeply love because we have no guarantees that these will keep having these wonderful properties in the future. Better safe than sorry if Creed reformulates everything. And Viking is one of 'the' most critical fragrances in terms of its composition of ingredients having a certain scent life-span after application. The phases are incredible and currently no duplication house can copy it. If/when Viking gets reformulated then that's it folks. Viking at that point will never be the same as it was (assuming that happens). The original 2017 batches might be 'essential' frag-head vintage collectables.

Ifti

Aug 5, 2016
Viking is the only one of the Creeds so far that I was moved enough by to purchase a decant.
Ha feels a bit precious and I've held off giving it a full wear ( yeah I know!) - smells darn good from the bottle. Even from dabs its a pretty cool ride! Old school + new school - totally get that 'update' on the classic spicy masculine a/s of bygone era. Will definitely post up in more detail.

Constantine

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Nov 26, 2017
I agree its superb. That feeling of specialness means its social day time sunny evening rather than a work scent. Try Green Irish Tweed for superb non special every day wearability. Smelt it bought a bottle.

Possum-Pie

Jun 10, 2012
I tried Viking the week that it came out, in fact I was the second person on BN to write a review on it almost 3 years ago. Anyway I never bought it but used up a few samples and didn't like the longevity. I recently bought a 10ml sprayer full b/c I wished to try it again. It smells very different than what I tried 3 years ago. I tend to be very skeptical of "batch variation frenzy" and have only experienced it myself in Creed products. I've been away from BN for a few years but came back to ask if others have found the batch differences. A quick scan of this thread shows most people say it is no difference. What I just purchased I believe to be genuine, from a reputable person but it isn't as spicy as what I reviewed. Any thoughts?

Ifti

Aug 5, 2016
I tried Viking the week that it came out, in fact I was the second person on BN to write a review on it almost 3 years ago. Anyway I never bought it but used up a few samples and didn't like the longevity. I recently bought a 10ml sprayer full b/c I wished to try it again. It smells very different than what I tried 3 years ago. I tend to be very skeptical of "batch variation frenzy" and have only experienced it myself in Creed products. I've been away from BN for a few years but came back to ask if others have found the batch differences. A quick scan of this thread shows most people say it is no difference. What I just purchased I believe to be genuine, from a reputable person but it isn't as spicy as what I reviewed. Any thoughts?
I had a similar experience - loved it enough to finally get some. Now it smells mostly like toothpaste until the very far dry down. Perplexed.

Possum-Pie

Jun 10, 2012
I have 2 different batches. A 100ml bottle and the other is a 250ml flacon and they smell identical.

Thanks for the reply...eriqesque, are they "vintage"? I know that I was quite critical back then about the price and longevity but I really liked the scent. Now I wore the newer batch 3 times and can't get the same excitement. Can't put my finger on what is missing except that I got more spice back then. To quote my original review from September 2017 "Creed Viking opens with a sharp citrus, pepper, metallic, and cinnamon/clove note combination." I'm just not getting that on the new batch. Same thing happened to me when Aventus first came out 10 years ago. First batch smelled like a "wet ashtray", re-tried it a few years later and I Loved the smokey scent with Pineapple, then when I finally bought a bottle, the smoke wasn't there. I had to try different batches until I found one with the smoke.

tspencer

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jul 12, 2016
Thanks for the reply...eriqesque, are they "vintage"? I know that I was quite critical back then about the price and longevity but I really liked the scent. Now I wore the newer batch 3 times and can't get the same excitement. Can't put my finger on what is missing except that I got more spice back then. To quote my original review from September 2017 "Creed Viking opens with a sharp citrus, pepper, metallic, and cinnamon/clove note combination." I'm just not getting that on the new batch. Same thing happened to me when Aventus first came out 10 years ago. First batch smelled like a "wet ashtray", re-tried it a few years later and I Loved the smokey scent with Pineapple, then when I finally bought a bottle, the smoke wasn't there. I had to try different batches until I found one with the smoke.

Anything 'new' might need to macerate. But then again Creed's selling out recently could mean they were already trying to cut corners in recent manufacturing. I am thinking 2017.....maaaybe 2018 could have been the last of what was once 'great' about Creed. It's heartbreaking because the house of Creed is my favorite fragrance brand overall. I'm breaking my budget badly this year hurrying to back up my Creed collection. I'm past 2-grand this year in fragrance costs. My Creed collection is worth more than my used car that I own. LOL

eriqesque

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Feb 29, 2020

They are from 18. All I’ve ever known though. I get no cinnamon or clove which is great for me. I absolutely adore the fragrance. I’m considering pulling the trigger on another flacon.

tspencer

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jul 12, 2016
They are from 18. All I’ve ever known though. I get no cinnamon or clove which is great for me. I absolutely adore the fragrance. I’m considering pulling the trigger on another flacon.

As your Viking ages, you will likely begin to detect an "airy" almost Jean Claude-Elena Cinnamon note "on the air". Much like Terre d'Hermes fragrances have that 'airy' orange/citrus effect. And I have to say that it's unlike any cinnamon I've experienced in a fragrance. And originally in late 2017 thru late 2019, I never smelled or detected the cinnamon at all. Now it's detectable, but very different. It's not at all 'forward' like all the other fragrances I smell cinnamon in. I think the maceration-time effect that Creed is known for has enriched my bottle of Viking. The citrus seems less acidic and not as sharp but rather a bit more deep than I remember it being when I first bought it. It's still clearly Viking and it still has transitions from the opening to the final woods-dominant dry down hours later.

eriqesque

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Feb 29, 2020
As your Viking ages, you will likely begin to detect an "airy" almost Jean Claude-Elena Cinnamon note "on the air". Much like Terre d'Hermes fragrances have that 'airy' orange/citrus effect. And I have to say that it's unlike any cinnamon I've experienced in a fragrance. And originally in late 2017 thru late 2019, I never smelled or detected the cinnamon at all. Now it's detectable, but very different. It's not at all 'forward' like all the other fragrances I smell cinnamon in. I think the maceration-time effect that Creed is known for has enriched my bottle of Viking. The citrus seems less acidic and not as sharp but rather a bit more deep than I remember it being when I first bought it. It's still clearly Viking and it still has transitions from the opening to the final woods-dominant dry down hours later.

Yes I will say, I definitely believe in the creed bloom. Seen it far to many times since discovering the house in 94. I have noticed that the citrus opening has already mellowed not such a slap in the face.

Latest News