The Official Creed Green Irish Tweed thread!

Sam's Scents

May 3, 2021
I want to share two recent GIT experiences:

I rediscovered my love for GIT from a Nordstrom tester that smells divine. It's CM3220001N in the black bottle, which I looked up to be from 2020. I get a gorgeous opening of fresh lemon and iris, a dash of salt, and that buttery Creed base that seems to be floating in midair all around me. Then, the violet, ambergris, and rich heart really kick in -- a little earthy, just beautiful. The employee made me a sample from the tester, and every whiff continues to impress.

Not quite ready to buy a full bottle, I bought a decant from FragranceNet to hold me over. I've had good experiences with the site, but the GIT that arrived smells beyond bad. The opening is a harsh blast of Windex chemicals that smell very green and cheap. This immediately alarmed me because there's no trace of the beautiful top notes that I expected. Very sharp and synthetic. Worse, a strong stench of urine and corn emerged, and my stomach dropped with disgust. I've sprayed it a few more times onto paper out of curiosity, and this stuff is nauseating. If I'd bought it from some eBay seller, I'd feel like I'd been scammed.

Is it safe to say that the decant was sourced from a bad bottle? It seems beyond batch variation to explain it, or at least I hope so! I returned to Nordstrom with my story, and they brought out a second tester that also smelled phenomenal. They've been so good to me that I'll support them and pay full price this time. I generally think that batch variations, reformulations, etc. are overblown, but this reeking decant is making me antsy.

sunny5011

Jun 24, 2009
I want to share two recent GIT experiences:

I rediscovered my love for GIT from a Nordstrom tester that smells divine. It's CM3220001N in the black bottle, which I looked up to be from 2020. I get a gorgeous opening of fresh lemon and iris, a dash of salt, and that buttery Creed base that seems to be floating in midair all around me. Then, the violet, ambergris, and rich heart really kick in -- a little earthy, just beautiful. The employee made me a sample from the tester, and every whiff continues to impress.

Not quite ready to buy a full bottle, I bought a decant from FragranceNet to hold me over. I've had good experiences with the site, but the GIT that arrived smells beyond bad. The opening is a harsh blast of Windex chemicals that smell very green and cheap. This immediately alarmed me because there's no trace of the beautiful top notes that I expected. Very sharp and synthetic. Worse, a strong stench of urine and corn emerged, and my stomach dropped with disgust. I've sprayed it a few more times onto paper out of curiosity, and this stuff is nauseating. If I'd bought it from some eBay seller, I'd feel like I'd been scammed.

Is it safe to say that the decant was sourced from a bad bottle? It seems beyond batch variation to explain it, or at least I hope so! I returned to Nordstrom with my story, and they brought out a second tester that also smelled phenomenal. They've been so good to me that I'll support them and pay full price this time. I generally think that batch variations, reformulations, etc. are overblown, but this reeking decant is making me antsy.

Could be a bad bottle.

If you enjoyed the 20N bottle as much as you described. I'd suggest going back there and grabbing the same exact batch! It gets hard finding the same batches as time goes on

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Semi-Retirement
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
How were older bottles from 2002? Thinking of getting a vintage from then or early 2000's, have 16L01 which i love

2002 is great. A bit more harsh than a 16L01 but amazing dry down. just clean the sprayer with the method I described earlier in this group

I own a bottle from 2002 and it's excellent. It has great depth and the dry down is wonderful.

sunny5011

Jun 24, 2009
I got an 11N01 bottle recently. I expected this one to be similar to my 11P03 or 11U01 or even my 12A03.
Starts off lemon-y with a very green note. This is something I didn't expect since the greenness in GIT didn't come until late 2013 for me. They must've used a lot more violet leaf in this one but its not an off-putting note since the Iris is also heavy so it evens out. It transitions into a sweeter version of the ambergris basenotes with a slight understatement of the sandalwood.
I have to say, this is probably one of the strongest GIT's I've used. Its a sillage monster!

xRedStaRx

Feb 12, 2015
I had a bottle of GIT in 2016 that I thought was fake because it smelt like rubbing alcohol.

5 years in now, It's definitely come out much more, half a bottle to two-thirds of Creeds sitting on a drawer for a few years really does some work, or decant some sprayers if you want faster work.

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Semi-Retirement
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
I got an 11N01 bottle recently. I expected this one to be similar to my 11P03 or 11U01 or even my 12A03.
Starts off lemon-y with a very green note. This is something I didn't expect since the greenness in GIT didn't come until late 2013 for me. They must've used a lot more violet leaf in this one but its not an off-putting note since the Iris is also heavy so it evens out. It transitions into a sweeter version of the ambergris basenotes with a slight understatement of the sandalwood.
I have to say, this is probably one of the strongest GIT's I've used. Its a sillage monster!

Would you say that this 11N01 is comparable to some of the bottles from the 2000s?

tspencer

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jul 12, 2016
I had a bottle of GIT in 2016 that I thought was fake because it smelt like rubbing alcohol.

5 years in now, It's definitely come out much more, half a bottle to two-thirds of Creeds sitting on a drawer for a few years really does some work, or decant some sprayers if you want faster work.

The aging of most Creed fragrances and improving is no joke. It's legitimate. My Royal Mayfair after 3 and a half years got soooo much better. The sharp/medicinal eucalyptus got it's "bite" reduced and became slightly 'sweet', which, the improvement in the eucalyptus alone is wonderful....and because of that change, the lime and gin are more perceptible and the whole composition is stunningly gorgeous. That's not even to mention how Aventus and Spice & Wood improved. I think people who disliked Viking when it first released had better get their nose on the 2017 Viking, now 4 years old. My bottle has definitely shifted in its tones. The scent now has a perceptible "airy cinnamon" and the effect smells like like similar to what Jean Claude-Elena did with orange in Terre d'Hermes. The woods are more pronounced in the dry down. The mint is more green. The 2017 Viking, IMO, should become a fragrance collector's item and the price could possibly soar on ebay/private party sales.

So, it doesn't surprise me that bottles of older GIT are finding fans. Creed is just an amazing perfume company. They are by far and away my favorite fragrance house. I love so many of their creations.

sunny5011

Jun 24, 2009
Would you say that this 11N01 is comparable to some of the bottles from the 2000s?
Sorry for the delay N.cal. I wouldn't say 11N01 is very similar to the bottles from the 2000 decade but it comes close. The 2000s (2006 batch for me) had this creamy rich ambergris that almost smelt like a rich vanilla. It stuck around through the whole fragrance. Although this sounds amazing, the top notes were harsh and very 90s like in that they were old manly.
the 2011-2012 bottles had a fresher violet that smelt purple then the ambergris and sandalwood would come in and bring the depth. Except that in this case a super rich ambergris was more airy than creamy.
I'd say 2011 bottles come close to 2000s. 11N01 is likely the strongest in the 2011s for me.

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Semi-Retirement
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
Sorry for the delay N.cal. I wouldn't say 11N01 is very similar to the bottles from the 2000 decade but it comes close. The 2000s (2006 batch for me) had this creamy rich ambergris that almost smelt like a rich vanilla. It stuck around through the whole fragrance. Although this sounds amazing, the top notes were harsh and very 90s like in that they were old manly.
the 2011-2012 bottles had a fresher violet that smelt purple then the ambergris and sandalwood would come in and bring the depth. Except that in this case a super rich ambergris was more airy than creamy.
I'd say 2011 bottles come close to 2000s. 11N01 is likely the strongest in the 2011s for me.
My 2007 bottle has this creamy rich ambergris vibe that you described. My 2002 and 2003 bottles were more dark and stuffy and lacked the freshness in my 2011 bottles. This is how I remember Green Irish Tweed when I first smelled it. I actually liked both the 2002/3 and 2007 formulations about the same. The fresher 2011 formulations I'm not as intrigued by.

sunny5011

Jun 24, 2009
My 2007 bottle has this creamy rich ambergris vibe that you described. My 2002 and 2003 bottles were more dark and stuffy and lacked the freshness in my 2011 bottles. This is how I remember Green Irish Tweed when I first smelled it. I actually liked both the 2002/3 and 2007 formulations about the same. The fresher 2011 formulations I'm not as intrigued by.
Interesting! Never smelled 2002 or 2003. Can you describe it a bit more if possible?

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Semi-Retirement
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
Interesting! Never smelled 2002 or 2003. Can you describe it a bit more if possible?
In the 2002/3 bottles the violet leaf is certainly there - green and luscious. It's not quite as refreshing as many of the later bottles come out to be. A little pit of powdery floral likely from the iris. A very rich ambergris base supported by woods. I don't get any creamy vanilla anything remotely sweet at the base. It's something that you should try for the thrills.

sunny5011

Jun 24, 2009
In the 2002/3 bottles the violet leaf is certainly there - green and luscious. It's not quite as refreshing as many of the later bottles come out to be. A little pit of powdery floral likely from the iris. A very rich ambergris base supported by woods. I don't get any creamy vanilla anything remotely sweet at the base. It's something that you should try for the thrills.
Thanks! I'll have to try to find a sample somewhere!

hellbentforleather

May 18, 2016
I couldn't resist a partial of 15W01 recently. It's really quite lovely with a very green opening followed by a very lush mid of violet leaf. It's quite different than my bottle of 16L01 - that one is brighter and more citrusy. Both are gems though I'm quite taken with how rich 15W01 is.

PrinceRF

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 3, 2020
I prefer refreshing to powdery florals, but would try any batch I could get a sample of.

Oct 16, 2021
Post all GIT questions about batch/lot numbers, fakes, longevity, bottle changes, how many times it gets you laid,... in this thread!

Let's see how this goes!

Hopefully this helps alleviate the unnecessary GIT threads per day on this board. "But but GMan that's such a stupid idea to dedicate a thread to a single fragrance." Eat it. It's better to see one thread about GIT a day than 44.
My git story is….. I treated myself to a bottle for Xmas last year, gift wrapped with samples etc from the official website. It arrived Xmas Eve. I placed it under the tree to be opened with all the other gifts. Xmas day arrived and my partner and the 3 boys all opened our gifts. I saved the magical creed gift till last. I hyped it up to everyone like you’d never believe. Like PROPER hyped it up. Anyway I undid the beautifully boxed creed gift box and the sight of that magical white box with the furry green middle presented itself to me. Literally the whole family are sat round me expecting gods most wonderful fart to enter our Xmas day. I got the extremely small 50ml bottle out of the oversized box and it was time to educate these fools with creeds most wonderful creation. So I did……… guess what the reaction was…..

It smells like lynx.

Gutted.com

Me? I adore it. Stone cold classic. Easily creeds best offering.
Anyway thanks for reading my stupid tweed story.
If you know. You know

GIT

Oct 14, 2021
Ive just received a 19 N bottle that i bought, and i like my old 2018 better, because i really missed the lyral. I also noticed the longevity is worse on the 2019 bottle. Are the new 2021 batches like the 2019 bottle or has anything changed?

Jul 7, 2012
guess what the reaction was…..

It smells like lynx.

Gutted.com

Me? I adore it. Stone cold classic. Easily creeds best offering.
Anyway thanks for reading my stupid tweed story.
If you know. You know

My stereo speakers are by Genelec. So many outstanding albums have been mixed and mastered on Genelecs. You'll find them in many of the best recording studios around the world. These things are amazing.

My friends think they're like any other speakers. It doesn't matter to me if they can't hear the difference. It matters that I can. There's so much more to your favorite music that you've probably never heard because your system can't reproduce it. Most people don't care about that stuff. I love it though. I love the details.

Fragrance is like that too. For most people, stuff like Axe/Lynx is more than good enough. And that's fine. But sense of smell is good enough that I appreciate the details.

Don't mistake any of this for me being a snob though. I own a $50 amp that blows away pro audio gear costing ten times as much. And I proudly list some cheap scents among my favorites in my signature here on basenotes.

notspendingamillion

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Sep 2, 2018
Tried this for the first time about a month ago. I smell delineation from CW, and this really is an improvement in note clarity, ingredient quality is much higher so it doesnt have that screechy synthetic metallic edge of CW. Smells best in the mid, which is always, to me, an earmark of a solidly consructed fragrance. Really solid. Might buy a bottle someday.

Latest News