The Official Amouage Fragrance Thread

NZFH

Apr 27, 2016
My wife bought me Overture for Christmas and we all love it at my house!

The men's sampler pack will arrive next week, and I plan on giving each scent a proper trial. It contains glass spray vials of Interlude, Reflection, Epic, Gold, Honour and Portrayal.
Gold may be a shock to the system - big floral and civet fragrance! Lots of variety in that selection.

naylor

Oct 24, 2011
Gold Man is wonderful. Make sure it give it a fair chance in the sampler. There's nothing else really out there like it except for old women's perfume, and Clive Christians Gold Man.
Agreed -- not enough people give this one a fair shake. It's certainly more mature than much of the line, but it's a high quality composition.

rum

Basenotes Plus
Mar 17, 2011
Gold Man is wonderful. Make sure it give it a fair chance in the sampler. There's nothing else really out there like it except for old women's perfume, and Clive Christians Gold Man.
Agreed -- not enough people give this one a fair shake. It's certainly more mature than much of the line, but it's a high quality composition.
Gold Man is full of aldehydes in the opening and it reminds me of Chanel No. 5 to some extent. I'm not suggesting the Amouage is a copy of the Chanel, just that their opening stages have that fizziness you so often associate with Chanel perfumes. The progression of Gold Man is phenomenal.

aioosha

Mar 30, 2020
The new Attars are available on the amouage site here - very under the radar.

All reviews have been very positive so far but will wait until a sampler set is available before checking them out.
Anyone gonna buy any of these? I'm curious if they will be just as good as the old attars and I thought they were going to offer a sampler pack of these but I have not seen any around.

GoldWineMemories

Nov 22, 2019
Gold Man is full of aldehydes in the opening and it reminds me of Chanel No. 5 to some extent. I'm not suggesting the Amouage is a copy of the Chanel, just that their opening stages have that fizziness you so often associate with Chanel perfumes. The progression of Gold Man is phenomenal.
I agree completely. I had this bottle of Chanel No.5 parfum from the good days, and Gold Man reminds me of it so much.

Eilenberg

Apr 10, 2021
Could some attar expert chime in and comment on Amouage's attars? Are these actual attars or concentrated perfume oils? How does their value propositions look like when comparing to other, more artisan attar makers?

Paddington

Marmalade Sandwich Eater
Basenotes Plus
Jun 17, 2021
Could some attar expert chime in and comment on Amouage's attars? Are these actual attars or concentrated perfume oils? How does their value propositions look like when comparing to other, more artisan attar makers?
Personally I believe amourage is asking to much and most likely not actual attar in traditional sense where u have stuff suspended in musk/sandalwood/ambergris in some cases and I find it odd how they had multiple releases of the previous attars in oman but those never saw western release while these run of attars have.

Having smelt them as well they arnt anything special imo

Some artisan the price compared varies on attar so 12 ml of the sultans tabc grande is roughly the same price as one of amourage attars

Eilenberg

Apr 10, 2021
Personally I believe amourage is asking to much and most likely not actual attar in traditional sense where u have stuff suspended in musk/sandalwood/ambergris in some cases and I find it odd how they had multiple releases of the previous attars in oman but those never saw western release while these run of attars have.

Having smelt them as well they arnt anything special imo

Some artisan the price compared varies on attar so 12 ml of the sultans tabc grande is roughly the same price as one of amourage attars

Thank you. I'm curious then who do they really want to target with these. Arab clientele surely knows better than Amouage, and the western attar enthusiasts seem also like a knowledgeable group that might be hard to tap into as from my observations they typically go all the way through the (perfume) niche world first before ending up in the attars world.

badarun

Jan 15, 2013
My wife bought me Overture for Christmas and we all love it at my house!

The men's sampler pack will arrive next week, and I plan on giving each scent a proper trial. It contains glass spray vials of Interlude, Reflection, Epic, Gold, Honour and Portrayal.
I saw the sampler collection and it looks very good Chuck, enjoy when you get it. I skipped buying it as I have enough 3ml sampler vials at my disposal...

The Bark

Jan 24, 2003
I've only tried Myths once. Seems like it had some similarities with Interlude, but ultimately more differences. Definitely different, though a lot of people on Fragrantica voted it similar to Amouage Tribute, which I don't see unless it was way into the deep dry down.

badarun

Jan 15, 2013
Rum, agree. Gold Man, particularly in it's original version (assuming it's modified at least a bit) was a Guy Robert masterpiece. Great silage and one of the best fragrances for spring. I have the dagger bottle and the regular type as well.

badarun

Jan 15, 2013
Look elsewhere. Not that their attars are bad, but you can get pure oud for the prices I saw on their new attar line. Further, they discontinued this moving to mainstream western fragrances and are reintroducing the attars - the way I see it, just 1 reason - good $ making venture (I have a lot of Amouages, so I'm not "house bashing" here)...

deltasun

Jun 12, 2017
Got a sample of Fate and Portrayal with my purchases. Up first is Fate - quite impressed with this one. I had some trepidation with the cumin note, but it's quite smooth. I will have to give this a full wearing, but FB worthiness has already crossed my mind.

We'll see how Portrayal fares as well.

FragFrog

Oct 6, 2018
I'm actually surprised I don't get that association with Fate.

My decant is a little bit older, maybe 2014, 2015?
I don't know how the current version smells, maybe they tamed down the "curry chicken" a bit. :)

It depends on how you use that cumin.
I didn't like Rasasi Tasmeem, but that one had more that "sweaty armpits" vibe - but I like the cumin in Ultra Male, it's also slightly sweaty but not overbearingly.

ChuckW

Aug 21, 2001
Got a sample of Fate and Portrayal with my purchases. Up first is Fate - quite impressed with this one. I had some trepidation with the cumin note, but it's quite smooth. I will have to give this a full wearing, but FB worthiness has already crossed my mind.

We'll see how Portrayal fares as well.
I really like Fate. Owned it twice, but sold it in the end both times.

I wore Portrayal yesterday. Again, really nice, but not bottle worthy. But I did like it better than the Epic I wore today.

So between those 2 and Interlude, I’ve now tried 3 out of the 6 samples I got in my set.

Gold, Honour and Reflection still to go.

deltasun

Jun 12, 2017

I wore Portrayal yesterday. Again, really nice, but not bottle worthy. But I did like it better than the Epic I wore today.

So between those 2 and Interlude, I’ve now tried 3 out of the 6 samples I got in my set.

I was underwhelmed with Epic as well, but seems to be quite the darling for a lot of people. Reflection is great, though it bores me at times. I've not tried Honour or Gold. Looking forward to your thoughts on those as well!

FragFrog

Oct 6, 2018
I've not tried Honour or Gold

I've got also decants of both.

Honour is a bit peppery with that "pencil shavings" vibe.
Gold is very opulent, a bit dated imho, a mix of soapy, honey/animalic (think MFK APLS) and flowery notes.

A few years back I tried to get samples of all the Amouages to make up my own opinion.
My favorite is Interlude Man.
I like Reflection Man too but I think it's not a typical Amouage fragrance, it's more the Amouage for people who want to dip their toes into "niche perfumery" world. :D

Mikeaveli2682

Apr 18, 2018

Any specific thoughts about Epic?

FragFrog

Oct 6, 2018
but on my skin it really dies a quick death

On the German Parfumo forum there were massive complaints about Epic being watered down a few years ago.
I personally don't know if that's true but I remember that people who really liked it were very sad when they purchased newer bottles.
The same goes for Memoir Man (which I like a lot, too, because it has that "a walk in the forest" vibe).

May 18, 2019
Epic Man need try early batches before 2013, it's one of the best Amouage creations.
I don't like modern "soapy" Epic, probably it's baddest reformulated men's Amouage. Fragrance lost the own charm and character.
Also, I understand why Sebastian put Epic Man to 15th place in his Top-15.

Latest News